PDA

View Full Version : The Muslim Jesus

Olorin
8th July 08, 10:29 PM
I recently watched a video on Surf the Channel that discussed the Muslim depiction of Jesus. Long story short, both religions believe in Jesus as a prophet but differ on fundamental points.

The Koran depicts Jesus as a profit and miracle worker but not as the son of God or as God in human form. Other differences include: no mention of Joseph, differing miracles, and a different death. According to the Koran Jesus did not die on the cross but was saved and someone else was crucified in his place.

The video is forty five minutes long but is worth watching if you have an interest in theology.

Link. (http://www.surfthechannel.com/info/Documentaries/The_Muslim_Jesus/77523/The+Muslim+Jesus.html?aid=90873)

Stick
8th July 08, 11:02 PM
The Koran depicts Jesus as a profit

Freudian slip is Freudian.

Olorin
8th July 08, 11:05 PM
Freudian slip is Freudian.

Dam it!!!

socratic
9th July 08, 02:35 AM
The "Jesus did the switcheroo" idea was something that emerged in several Gnostic circles, ideas which I'm told were still prevalent amongst some Christians in Mohammed's time and thus influential on Mohammed's ideas of Jesus.

One I remember reading of in The New Eusebius was that Jesus himself used his supernatural powers to switch Paul for himself (transforming their appearance of course) at the time of Crucifixion, and even laughed when his trick worked perfectly. Jesus' abilities and nature varied a lot amongst Gnostics and even more when they were compared to later Catholic Christians.

EvilSteve
9th July 08, 10:24 AM
One I remember reading of in The New Eusebius was that Jesus himself used his supernatural powers to switch Paul for himself (transforming their appearance of course) at the time of Crucifixion, and even laughed when his trick worked perfectly.

Wow, Jesus was a DICK!

Cullion
9th July 08, 04:08 PM
Several variants of early christianity took the same view. e.g. The Arian Heresy.

HappyOldGuy
9th July 08, 04:23 PM
Several variants of early christianity took the same view. e.g. The Arian Heresy.

Err, the arians didn't deny the crucifixion. It was a common gnostic view. You are maybe thinking about valentinianism.

Cullion
9th July 08, 04:30 PM
You're right, the Arians didn't believe that Jesus was 'God the father', but they did believe he was a supernatural being.