PDA

View Full Version : Metal Gear Solid 4 Review

Mas
1st July 08, 01:34 AM
http://www.dabbledoo.com/ee/images/uploads/gamertell/metal_gear_solid_4_cover01.jpeg

Attn SPOILERS!

I've reviewed some pretty good games in the past, and Metal Gear Solid: 4 Guns of the Patriots: Tactical Espionage Action (henceforth known as MGS4GOTPTEA) is certainly up there.

I have always enjoyed Metal Gear games, and MGS4GOTPTEA is certainly no exception. Mixing action with stealth with an intriguing (albeit complex and at times retarded) storyline, MGS4GOTPTEA does it the best.

I've run through the game three times on Solid Normal, Boss Extreme, and Liquid Easy and I had three completely different gaming experiences each time.

When I played normal I mixed stealth with gunplay, I snuck around and knifed guards from behind, and killed "a whole lotta mothafuckas" with mortars, sniper rifles, rail guns, etc.

When I played Extreme, a firefight is basically out of the question. You will die. Sneaking is your only option, and that is when I got the most tense moments out of the game. Guards are more prevalent at that difficulty, and it seems like they're smarter too.

Easy compared to Extreme was pathetic, but fun. I would think of interesting ways to kill, and used the large arsenal of weapons (60 in all ) to lay waste to my enemies, their womenfolk cried in despair!

MGS4GOTPTEA never [I]makes you firefight (except in boss fights) when you don't want to, and never makes you sneak. There are interesting strategies (some are better than others) you can use for both styles of play.

The story:
Ah. Here is where you will love MGS4GOTPTEA, or hate it. Having played all the Metal Gear games (even 2) I expected the dramatic and at times (ok many times) over-the-top acting. But I'd rather have that than lackluster performances.

The storyline is nicely wrapped up, very tidy and neat. You will see all your old friends, and everything will make sense from the past. One of the things I've always enjoyed about Metal Gear games is the ambiguity of good and evil, and that is a trait that certainly remains in the fourth iteration.

However, there are some just plain idiotic things. One of my peeves with the storyline are the bosses, especially the Beauty and the Beast Corps.

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A1374/137480/300_137480.jpg

The battles with them are all mostly awesome, however their storylines feel tacked on and slightly retarded especially in comparison with bosses of past games.

Conceptually, it's actually kind of cool, beautiful women who are mentally ravaged by war take on war itself as personas. But after the first boss fight, I realized I did not give a shit about them. In past games the death of Sniper Wolf, or The End, or even Vulcan Raven are touching. But as I killed or tranq'ed the Beauties I only cared about progressing through the actual storyline.

Other things are kind of ridiculous, but are forgivable, like a monkey who drinks soda, a soldier who shits himself, the utterly ridiculous (and awesome) fight between Vamp and Raiden (oh he's back, and he's emo) are examples.

Ya see:
http://content.answers.com/main/content/wp/en/e/ef/MGS4_Raiden_render.jpg
Not quite as gay as he used to be.

One of the Godsends of this game is the reworked control scheme. I cannot remember how many times in MGS2 & 3 I attempted to 'hold up' enemies only to have them slip away because my hand became entangled in itself in what can only be described as "THE CLAW". Things are much slicker than in the past, and the over the shoulder view is a Godsend.

There is also a cool shopping system where you can essentially collect points from guns picked off of soldiers and buy different guns with different attachments. Which is cool.

MGS4GOTPTEA was satisfying, yet I wanted it to go on forever. It was bittersweet, and awesomesweet all at the same time. The last 3 hours of the game or so encapsulates the awesomeness. You get CATAPULTED (and don't ask yourself wtf) onto A SUPER SHIP, where you run down a MICROWAVE RADIATING HALLWAY, where you STOP THE WORLD FROM SUCKING, where you HAVE A FISTFIGHT (uchimata a mothafucka) ON THE TOP OF A FUCKING SUBMARINE. And that's all gameplay too. Think of all the time you spend watching Snake do awesome things.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots: Tactical Espionage Action is indeed an excellent game despite its flaws. Nearly all my major gripes with past Metal Gear games have been solved, and the storyline is truly (seriously, no Q dare I say srsly) figured out. Inexplicably. I was surprised too.

It was truly an experience. An experience if you get my meaning, which is something that coming from a cynical gamer like myself rarely (if ever) gets. You may not like it, but I bet you will. If you don't then FUCK YOU. Respectfully, of course.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st July 08, 01:40 AM
Why was the monkey shaved?
Why?

Mas
1st July 08, 01:41 AM
::shrug::

He grew on me after a while, God knows why.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st July 08, 01:43 AM
Of course, it's a monkey. Why didn't you mention the fact that you'll spend fifty minutes straight watching cutscenes and occasionally have loading screens for thirty second gameplay segments and even for the cutscenes themselves?

Mas
1st July 08, 01:46 AM
Why didn't you mention the fact that you'll spend fifty minutes straight watching cutscenes and occasionally have loading screens for thirty second gameplay segments and even for the cutscenes themselves?
1.) It was remiss of me to say that indeed the cutscenes are long (but enjoyable, and skippable, AND pausable) but any fool who has played a Metal Gear game knows that. And lets face it who here hasn't?

2.) I didn't mention the loading times because I didn't care, and I enjoyed the loading screen. It's a stupid small thing, but thats what makes Metal Gear games good.

Steve
1st July 08, 01:47 AM
The monkey as good as this?

_xrxmwUgoLg

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st July 08, 01:48 AM
When I said loading screens I meant, well, the loading screens, which seem to pop up in the strangest places. The installs are pretty gay but unavoidable because, if I'm not mistaken, the entire game is larger than some of the PS3 hard drives.

Mas
1st July 08, 01:49 AM
The monkey as good as this?

<object height="355" width="425">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/_xrxmwUgoLg&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" height="355" width="425"></object>
Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_xrxmwUgoLg
Racist.

When I said loading screens I meant, well, the loading screens, which seem to pop up in the strangest places. The installs are pretty gay but unavoidable because, if I'm not mistaken, the entire game is larger than some of the PS3 hard drives.

I misread. Minus the times when you're in those driving/chase sequences I didn't find them annoying. But certainly during those times they were annoying.

Steve
1st July 08, 01:51 AM
Sorry, what race was the monkey?

EDIT: OH, I get it. LOL!

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st July 08, 01:52 AM
He was a nigger, right?

Mas
1st July 08, 01:52 AM
Sorry, what race was the monkey?

I was referring to your equating of Sigint (a black man) with a monkey.

How dare you sah.

How dare you.

WarPhalange
1st July 08, 01:53 AM
However, there are some just plain idiotic things. One of my peeves with the storyline are the bosses, especially the Beauty and the Beast Corps.

http://images-cdn01.associatedcontent.com/image/A1374/137480/300_137480.jpg

The battles with them are all mostly awesome, however their storylines feel tacked on and slightly retarded especially in comparison with bosses of past games.

Conceptually, it's actually kind of cool, beautiful women who are mentally ravaged by war take on war itself as personas. But after the first boss fight, I realized I did not give a shit about them. In past games the death of Sniper Wolf, or The End, or even Vulcan Raven are touching. But as I killed or tranq'ed the Beauties I only cared about progressing through the actual storyline.

Only the first one had good bosses.

Vulcan Raven was awesome, so was Psycho Mantis, Sniper Wolf, and Grey Fox. They were all unique and badass with quality backgrounds and motivations.

The 2nd one had what? A fatass on roller skates and an emo girl who has an expensive toy oh no wait she really had super powers wtf? The only cool guy was the vampire. Oh and a Grey Fox wannabe. No thanks.

The 3rd one? All I can remember is the idiotic spider guy, the ghost (which wasn't even a battle) and The End. He was pretty badass. Oh, and the bee guy. What a loser.

Steve
1st July 08, 01:55 AM
I was referring to your equating of Sigint (a black man) with a monkey.

How dare you sah.

How dare you.

See my edit, pls.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st July 08, 01:55 AM
You're not watching your n-nicotine intake!
This is a n-n-no smoking flight!

Mas
1st July 08, 01:57 AM
Only the first one had good bosses.

Vulcan Raven was awesome, so was Psycho Mantis, Sniper Wolf, and Grey Fox. They were all unique and badass with quality backgrounds and motivations.

The 2nd one had what? A fatass on roller skates and an emo girl who has an expensive toy oh no wait she really had super powers wtf? The only cool guy was the vampire. Oh and a Grey Fox wannabe. No thanks.

The 3rd one? All I can remember is the idiotic spider guy, the ghost (which wasn't even a battle) and The End. He was pretty badass. Oh, and the bee guy. What a loser.
I agree the first one had the best bosses all around.

I also agree with you on 2, though Olga was pretty cool I enjoyed both her storyline and her battle, even though she later becomes an ally.

The 3rd one's I enjoyed just because of the history surrounding their history, if you get my meaning. Them all fighting in World War II then suddenly the world changes and nothing is quite as black and white as it once was. The Boss, and The Sorrow were all fleshed out characters, and the other ones were at least entertaining.

See my edit, pls.
<3

WarPhalange
1st July 08, 02:00 AM
1) You fight Olga on the ship and then she's a ninja... ugh... she had a nice backstory, but that's about it.

2) I forgot about Ocelot. He was cool in the first one, fucking retarded in the 2nd one (OH NOES THE HAND IS CONTROLLING ME I HAVE A BRITISH ACCENT NOW!!!), and also cool in the 3rd one. I liked his juggling. Also, what the fuck is Kuwabara? The general guy kept repeating it and I got confused.

Mas
1st July 08, 02:08 AM
1) You fight Olga on the ship and then she's a ninja... ugh... she had a nice backstory, but that's about it.

2) I forgot about Ocelot. He was cool in the first one, fucking retarded in the 2nd one (OH NOES THE HAND IS CONTROLLING ME I HAVE A BRITISH ACCENT NOW!!!), and also cool in the 3rd one. I liked his juggling. Also, what the fuck is Kuwabara? The general guy kept repeating it and I got confused.

1.) Your logic is no match for my heartstrings! She's a badass Russian commando, with a bun in the oven, and a heart of cold steel. She doesn't shave her armpits, and doesn't care! She leads badass russian troopers into battle as her dayjob and is a cyborg ninja when the sun goes down!

2.) Ocelot was badass in 3. In regards to his English accent, remember? Nanomachines. Duh. (lol)

2. b.) Kuwabara Kuwabara is a Japanese saying similar to 'knock on wood'. I don't remember the exact translation, but my Grandmother used to say it.

mrblackmagic
3rd July 08, 07:04 PM
3's plot was still the best.

WarPhalange
3rd July 08, 07:41 PM
That's because it was also the most bland and cliche ever.

Neildo
3rd July 08, 08:04 PM
I liked 3. hunting your own food was awesome. I still have a problem with his arsenal though (how does he fit a dragunov, a mosin-nagant, an m16, an AK, an m60 and an RPG-7 into a backpack? Did he get it from Link?) and even though the camo feature is realistic and awesome, LOL at carrying around a dozen uniforms and a shitload of facepaint. i guess it would all fit in link's magic backback though.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd July 08, 08:07 PM
Eh, Old Snake carried ninety million things in MGS4 as well. I think the game would suffer with a realistic inventory.

iPod was a nice touch though. Wish it could play songs off the HD.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd July 08, 08:09 PM
Besides, inventory limits are equally unrealistic. It's either like Diablo where something tiny like a key takes up a staggering, what, 1/16th the space as a motherfucking halberd or it's based on weight and for some reason I can carry 5000 forks because they all weigh .1 pounds.

Neildo
3rd July 08, 08:22 PM
My favorite Inventory system was in Freedom fighters. one rifle and one pistol that you can swap with the enemies who drop their weapons when you kill them. you always have grenades, C4, first aid kits, and a melee weapon which was also a useful tool. perfect.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd July 08, 08:25 PM
Why one rifle and one pistol? Why can't I choose to hang a third or forth gun somewhere?

Neildo
3rd July 08, 08:27 PM
Ask the army guys around here how combat feasible that actually is. I'd rather just carry more ammo.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd July 08, 08:32 PM
I don't see a second handgun sized weapon being a problem. Especially considering video game rules probably meant there was a superpowered magnum.

Neildo
3rd July 08, 08:37 PM
actually, yeah....the semi-auto usually took at least three rounds to drop a guy, even if you shot him in the face. the revolver always got the job done with one shot, two if my aim was a bit off.

i just had a sudden mental image of taking out a guy with one shot to the head with the silenced .45 in MGS3. FPS mode in that game was great.

Steve
3rd July 08, 08:41 PM
This has got to be one of the most homoerotic cut scenes I have ever seen:

MwoK5GiNr3o

Just make out already.

WarPhalange
3rd July 08, 09:54 PM
My favorite Inventory system was in Freedom fighters. one rifle and one pistol that you can swap with the enemies who drop their weapons when you kill them. you always have grenades, C4, first aid kits, and a melee weapon which was also a useful tool. perfect.
Just like in Counter-Strike, created 50 years prior.

Equipoise
4th July 08, 09:03 AM
This has got to be one of the most homoerotic cut scenes I have ever seen:

MwoK5GiNr3o

Just make out already.

How is that homoerotic? Full of melodrama, but not homoerotic.

Steve
4th July 08, 11:40 PM
You didn't watch it until the end, did you?

WarPhalange
5th July 08, 12:55 AM
They get up and I presume you start controlling Snake at that point in a fight.

Steve
5th July 08, 01:47 AM
Ah, so the head butting/hugging/I'll insert my insta rush into you, was just me.

I guess you guys know homoerotic better than me.

WarPhalange
5th July 08, 02:02 AM
Is that what it was? I thought it was poison.

WarPhalange
5th July 08, 02:03 AM
Also, you do remember that Liquid is Snake's evil twin brother, right?

Steve
5th July 08, 02:43 AM
No.

I don't have any idea what you are talking about.

Seriously, it almost sounds like you are implying it is something that as an avid gamer I could miss.

WarPhalange
5th July 08, 02:51 AM
So why would it be homoerotic vs. brotherly?

Steve
5th July 08, 03:01 AM
I'm an only child, what you do with your brothers is your own business.

WarPhalange
5th July 08, 03:03 AM
You have no idea how much I spend on insta rush every year.