PDA

View Full Version : HOW DO FISH????

WarPhalange
25th June 08, 01:17 PM
Thousands of years ago into the future my pappy and I went fishing and never caught anything. Ever. We sucked.

We were trying to catch bass in a small lake. All we have is an inflatable raft so we can't go out into the Pacific or anything. Anybody have any good tips? We'd just throw in the bait and go home crying when nothing happened. How early do we need to go? Best areas of a lake to try?

Steve, GOON, and the rest of the WA Gang (that's right, we're a gang), know any good spots near Auburn/Federal Way?

Cullion
25th June 08, 01:19 PM
I've done a bit of angling in the UK. Were you fly fishing or using floats and bait ?

WarPhalange
25th June 08, 01:21 PM
Floats and bait mainly, but we had some lures that always got tangled in all the plants that my dad claims are a hang out for bass.

Cullion
25th June 08, 01:39 PM
I've never fished for bass. I was always told that early morning was best, and to make yourself as drably coloured and camouflaged as possible, also to avoid throwing moving shadows across the water so as not to spook them.

Steve
25th June 08, 02:05 PM
Thousands of years ago into the future my pappy and I went fishing and never caught anything. Ever. We sucked.

We were trying to catch bass in a small lake. All we have is an inflatable raft so we can't go out into the Pacific or anything. Anybody have any good tips? We'd just throw in the bait and go home crying when nothing happened. How early do we need to go? Best areas of a lake to try?

Steve, GOON, and the rest of the WA Gang (that's right, we're a gang), know any good spots near Auburn/Federal Way?

Man, I haven't fished in forever. The last time I did fish was at some lake up north (Can't think of the name of it right now, Mt. Vernon area).

I've never fished for bass, either (trout was my catch mostly). So basically I'm telling you that I got nothin.

WarPhalange
25th June 08, 02:09 PM
Hey, I'll take trout. I don't care. I'm just saying my dad said that's what we were fishing for and we never got shit.

Eric
25th June 08, 02:28 PM
I haven't been fishing in forever. The only time I was remotely successful was on a deep-sea fishing trip. Caught two of these guys:http://img156.imageshack.us/img156/772/fwatriggerfishmz5.jpg

That was on the east coast though. No idea about around here. It was pretty fun, but it's definitely an all day event. I think we left the house at like 4:30 AM and got back around 9:00 PM, but that included like ~3 hrs of just driving to the coast and back. Out here I'd imagine you'd either have to drive out to the coast or have a long ass boat ride if there's any that leave from inside the sound.

Eric
25th June 08, 02:39 PM
Doing a little googling, turns out there's charters that leave Seattle for fishing right in the sound, so that's a little more convenient.

Cullion
25th June 08, 02:40 PM
Before I went back to college, I worked as a fishmonger. I can still remember most of the recipes I had to memorize to help the chit-chat along with customers.

Steve
25th June 08, 03:48 PM
Hey, I'll take trout. I don't care. I'm just saying my dad said that's what we were fishing for and we never got shit.

Well, I've only fished off of docks/shore into lakes (there's a lot of that around here going into the Puget Sound, I imagine it's the same down where you live) with nightcrawlers and one of those flavored/colored marshmallows for bait and a bobber to keep track of if I had a bite.

Speaking of nightcrawlers, one thing I would look for is if the local convenience store sold nightcrawlers or other bait, that would signal to me that the nearest lake/whatever would be okay fishing. Also, just ask the other folks who are fishing for tips. If there aren't any other folks fishing then that might be a clue that it's a pretty shitty spot for it.

Shawarma
25th June 08, 03:49 PM
I'm a fishing beast. Unfortunately, only with the spear in shallow waters.

Eric
25th June 08, 04:02 PM
I'm a fishing beast. Unfortunately, only with the spear in shallow waters.
Is this you?

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/1148/mv5bmtq2nta5mte0nf5bml5rk9.jpg

WarPhalange
25th June 08, 05:50 PM
Well, I've only fished off of docks/shore into lakes (there's a lot of that around here going into the Puget Sound, I imagine it's the same down where you live) with nightcrawlers and one of those flavored/colored marshmallows for bait and a bobber to keep track of if I had a bite.

Speaking of nightcrawlers, one thing I would look for is if the local convenience store sold nightcrawlers or other bait, that would signal to me that the nearest lake/whatever would be okay fishing. Also, just ask the other folks who are fishing for tips. If there aren't any other folks fishing then that might be a clue that it's a pretty shitty spot for it.

I distinctly remember one time when we were out on our raft, some guys went somewhere else, but they were on foot (on the shore obviously). Later on we see them walking back with a bunch of fish.

I think we just suck.

Toby Christensen
25th June 08, 06:44 PM
I could recommend Canadian bay in Victoria, Australia. Hand reel is actually OLDER than angling with line and rod, apparently.

Steve
25th June 08, 08:28 PM
I could recommend Canadian bay in Victoria, Australia. Hand reel is actually OLDER than angling with line and rod, apparently.

I actually hand reeled on a cruise off of the Great Barrier Reef. I didn't catch anything (probably because we were more interested in the squid that was playing around at the surface) but it was indeed awesome.

Toby Christensen
25th June 08, 11:07 PM
Be VERY careful of what you catch around that area. As good as our scientists are they STILL have unidentified fish species. Don't go eating them is basically what I'm saying.

Shawarma
26th June 08, 04:40 AM
Is this you?
No idea who he is, but yeah, that's pretty much what I do and look like in the summer.

Kiko
26th June 08, 07:16 AM
There's wonderful bass fishing in Georgia. Find a big old lake/pond, get up early and bring worms and beer. Or crickets. They like crickets, too, but you gotta put 'em on the hook right. Under the collar and through the butt works!

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th June 08, 07:24 AM
I didn't know women were allowed to fish.

Kein Haar
26th June 08, 07:26 AM
You're not.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th June 08, 08:03 AM
If I had known you were going to give me this much shit over those hose and garters I would never have worn them.

Kiko
26th June 08, 09:07 AM
I didn't know women were allowed to fish.
I learned to fish when I was still a girl, thanks. Fishing's not difficult, though fly fishing takes some finesse. Using a bobber with a spinning reel? Only patience and knowing when to bother. Like not after rain or when a pond is 'working' - cloudy and all full of algae.

Oh, and don't bother with the garters, the fish don't care what you wear...

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th June 08, 09:22 AM
Oh, and don't bother with the garters, the fish don't care what you wear...

Sometimes I wish I were a girl so I could wear striped stockings.

Sometimes...

Kiko
26th June 08, 09:31 AM
Striped? You mean seamed?

of course for this thread, fishnets would be more appropriate!

And you can wear 'em no matter what your gender, silly.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th June 08, 09:32 AM
Seamed? I was thinking something like this:
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/BullshidoTrail/1256298263_e51281e952-1.jpg

Kiko
26th June 08, 09:38 AM
Eeew. No no no.. unless you're dating the Joker or Dr. Seuss.
Seamed. Classic.
http://i195.photobucket.com/albums/z123/madamefantasy/CATEGORIES/CATEGORY/seamed_stockings200.jpg

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th June 08, 09:41 AM
That's a bad color choice I posted, but I still like the idea of striped stockings.

Kiko
26th June 08, 09:47 AM
Stop derailing the thread with me! But these guys like stripes too....
http://www.tnfish.org/PhotoGalleryFish_TWRA/FishPhotoGallery_TWRA/images/HybridStripedBassTopStripedBassBelowCherokeeNegus_ jpg.jpg

Fearless Ukemi
26th June 08, 11:46 AM
Floats and bait mainly, but we had some lures that always got tangled in all the plants that my dad claims are a hang out for bass.

If you want to catch bass, get the rubber worms with the ribbony tail. As you real it in, you want to do it as to mimic a dying minnow.

WarPhalange
26th June 08, 12:46 PM
What kinds of areas do bass hang out in? Is it by all the plantlife where my shit will keep getting caught or does it not matter?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th June 08, 12:53 PM
In OoT the biggest fish was middleish in the pond, hidden in some plants and shit. the best place to cast was from a log, if I remember correctly.

Hope this helped.

WarPhalange
26th June 08, 01:49 PM
In Twilight Princess you can actually see the fish.

mrblackmagic
26th June 08, 03:06 PM
I bait with cheese. For some reason, it works just fine.