PDA

View Full Version : Where The Hell Is Matt?

Steve
25th June 08, 01:35 AM
It's been awhile since I've posted something that made me say "fuck YEAH, Seattlite baby!" but I found this guy named Matt and a dancing video that he some how got sponsored by Stide gum (http://www.stridegum.com/) (to be fair, he's originally from Connecticut):

A few months into his trip, a travel buddy gave Matt an idea. They were standing around taking pictures in Hanoi, and his friend said "Hey, why don't you stand over there and do that dance. I'll record it." He was referring to a particular dance Matt does. It's actually the only dance Matt does. He does it badly. Anyway, this turned out to be a very good idea.

A couple years later, someone found the video online and passed it to someone else, who passed it to someone else, and so on. Now Matt is quasi-famous as "That guy who dances on the internet. No, not that guy. The other one. No, not him either. I'll send you the link. It's funny."

The response to the first video brought Matt to the attention of the nice people at Stride gum. They asked Matt if he'd be interested in taking another trip around the world to make a new video. Matt asked if they'd be paying for it. They said yes. Matt thought this sounded like another very good idea.

bNF_P281Uu4

Best to watch it in high quality, by clicking on the video/URL and selecting, duh, "watch in high quality."

Now this in itself makes me wonder what his dancing video had to do with Stride gum but I decided to completely ignore Stride altogether and continue checking out his website:

Things settled down again, and then in 2007 Matt went back to Stride with another idea. He realized his bad dancing wasn't actually all that interesting, and that other people were much better at being bad at it. He showed them his inbox, which, as a result of his semi-famousness, was overflowing with emails from all over the planet. He told them he wanted to travel around the world one more time and invite the people who'd written him to come out and dance too.

The Stride people thought that sounded like yet another very good idea, so they let him do it. And he did. And now it's done. And he hopes you like it.

And I do like it. It's one of the coolest videos I've ever seen, makes me smile REALLY BIG when I view it:

zlfKdbWwruY

Same drill as before, best to check it out in "high quality."

He has a very long lecture posted about how this all came about and was pulled off (I haven't watched all of it yet), posted in three parts:

UNO
Z92o20KYH5g

DOS
qt47LOV85R8

TRES
v2m6cSTx76U

Oh, yeah. Where I got the part that he's from Seattle (W00t):

Matt lives in Seattle, Washington with his girlfriend, Melissa, and dog, Sydney. He hasn't had a real job since Stride called him up. Matt doesn't mind working, but he doesn't much care for having to show up at the same place every day.

Matt is not rich. Matt also doesn't have some magical secret for traveling cheaply. He does it pretty much the same way everybody else does.

Matt thinks Americans need to travel abroad more.

Matt was a very poor student and never went to college. When he got older, he was pleased to discover that no one actually cares. Matt doesn't want to imply that college is bad or anything. He's just saying is all. There's other ways to fill your head.

Matt is left-handed.

When Matt was younger, he could hang seven spoons on his face at once. Sadly, puberty made Matt's face less conducive to spoon-hanging.

Matt's Xbox Live screen name is BadDancer. He plays a lot of Rock Band.

Matt has a little piece of extra cartilage sticking out on the rim of one ear and a little hole in the same place on the other ear. Since saying so on this page, he's been informed that the extra piece of cartilage is called a Darwinian Tubercle. Matt thinks this is pretty much the greatest name for anything ever.

Matt has never lost a staring contest.

His website where I got all this from: http://www.wherethehellismatt.com/

Keep dancing, Matt.

EDIT: Here is the first video that got Matt noticed by Stride gum:

7WmMcqp670s

WarPhalange
25th June 08, 01:52 AM
Matt Matt

Matt Matt

Matt

Matt was a very poor student and never went to college.

Matt

Matt

Matt's

Matt Matt.

Matt

No shit? It's pretty fucking obvious he can't write down a paragraph without sounding like an idiot.

Anyway, some guy dancing badly gets you excited? Am I missing something here Steve? Seems like he has a great thing going on for him, going around the world and getting paid for it. But it's for a chewing gum company and he's with them for as long as people care. When they stop caring, they'll drop him like a poorly dancing hot rock.

Steve
25th June 08, 01:58 AM
Yes, I'll be sure to tell the poor children dancing with him that aren't holding Stride signs the first time I see them, you heartless bastard.

You know, sometimes companies do things for the good of it. I wouldn't have pointed out this guy's videos if it was a huge STRIDE commercial, that was the point. I didn't even know it had anything to do with Stride until I followed the YouTube link after seeing his first video that Stride sponsored.

You really need to give your cynicism a break once in a while.

WarPhalange
25th June 08, 02:03 AM
Not before bed. That's when I get my limit break.

And my point isn't that Stride is pimping him out, it's that he seems to think he's set for life doing this gig, when he could lose his job at any moment and he pretty much has nowhere else to go.

Steve
25th June 08, 02:09 AM
Wow, you thought of him losing his job while I thought of the joy that was portrayed by all these people from all over the world being able to dance with this random dude from Seattle.

I never got the idea that he thought that he was set for life.

WarPhalange
25th June 08, 02:55 AM
I never watched all of the videos. I watched part of the first one. It was him all over the world doing a poor dance. Wow. Like you can't just use CGI to make him seem like he's dancing there for like a hundredth of the cost.

Anyway, the website you posted about him makes it seem like he thinks he'll be fine for life. The whole "I don't have a job, I was a bad student and I never went to college but I travel all over the world fuck yeah!" attitude, you know? He says he isn't rich, but I don't think he understands how lucky he really is.

Steve
25th June 08, 03:04 AM
Okay, nevermind.

Dude is my age (a bit older), when you reach 30 you might think about things that just fall into your lap a little differently.

Steve
25th June 08, 03:05 AM
Man, kids these days. What a buzz kill.

jubei33
25th June 08, 03:36 AM
If he loses his job, I'm sure he'll be disappointed and start looking for a new one, but on the other hand: "Fuck I just went around the world like three times on someone else's dollar. Bad-fuckin-ass!"

part of the advertising is that they did give this to him and he doesn't have Stride smeared on the side of his face.

Steve
25th June 08, 03:46 AM
FORGET THE STRIDE CRAP. I already mentioned that I was avoiding it in the OP. My fault that I got Poop Loops panties in a bunch.

Shit, again nevermind:

ojgi16des-U

socratic
25th June 08, 05:22 AM
I always liked the Matt videos for two reasons (nevermind that they're old as sin and twice as awesome): Because he goes to foreign places that I can't and it looks sweet, and because of the awesome fucking soundtrack. Seriously. Deep Forest, etc, kicks ass.

Abusivemelon
25th June 08, 06:07 AM
Meh I'm 17 and I think what Poop Loops posted is retarded. The guy is enjoying it, the people involved are enjoying it and unless you are some miserable and bitter fuck you should be able to appreaciate that without worrying about Matt's future finances.

Stick
25th June 08, 02:03 PM
That actually did make me smile.

/smacks poop loops

Grow a fucking heart.

elipson
27th June 08, 08:40 PM
So the guy dances like an idiot and gets sent all over the fucking world by a giant corporation?

We should be taking lessons from the guy! He has got capitalism figured out!

I totally enjoyed that video, and I didn't think I would.

socratic
27th June 08, 10:04 PM
So the guy dances like an idiot and gets sent all over the fucking world by a giant corporation?

We should be taking lessons from the guy! He has got capitalism figured out!

I totally enjoyed that video, and I didn't think I would.

I think the important bit isn't so much who sends him all over the world, but the fact that he gets his tourist on all over the damn world. That looks like serious fun and one hell of an experience.

nihilist
28th June 08, 12:59 AM
WmxT21uFRwM