PDA

View Full Version : Au Revoir MR2

Sirc
22nd June 08, 04:32 AM
I've recently been trying to sell my MR2. I originally tried to sell it to get myself an MR2 Spyder, but in the last month, I found a deal I just could not pass up.

This last thursday was my final ride in my MR2. I had just finished doing an overhaul on everything. The motor was halfway out of the car so I figured, what the hell might as well:

I put in a new transmission, new clutch (ACT Street Disc and Pressure Plate), new clutch slave cylinder and master cylinder, new alternator, new belts, new hoses, new distributor and plugs, new vacuum lines, rerouted some vacuum lines, new factory rotors and brake pads, rewired the wiring for the system (much needed, I was lazy), new tires AND I even steam cleaned the engine bay, the block, undercarriage, misc. suspension pieces, etc. Buffed the paint, waxed it, etc. etc.

Then I found the deal on the new car. I drove her like I would on any kind of mountain pass run, just shifting through the gears, pushing her and giving her gentle shifting to break in the clutch, the rotors and the pads. She screamed and all I could hear was the whine of my turbo and the exhaust singing to me in this surreal choir of car noises that you can only get from a mid-engined car. She really didn't want to go and leave me.

On Friday morning, I went and picked up my best friend and we drove for 180 miles to San Francisco. I dropped her off and gave her one pat on roofline. She had done well. I had so many memories in that car, it was the last place one of my friends and I talked in before she killed herself. It was the last place my best friend from high school and I went and hung out in. It was the first car I competed in. This MR2 was right there beside me all the time. She had run a good run. But I was ready to move on.

I traded the Keys and I traded the Title. I signed her right over and took the keys to my new car.

A 2000 Sedona Red Pearl Subaru Impreza 2.5RS and a 2000 Aspen White Subaru Impreza 2.5RS.

I got both of them for my MR2 + $1000. A very good example of the value that an MR2 can hold.

Today, I took the Sedona Red Impreza out for a mountain run with my friends and these are the pictures I snapped really quickly with my friends. It's not nearly as blazing retardedly and horrifyingly fast as the MR2, but it's still a very fun car to drive. It feels more stable, but less precise. The braking on the MR2 trounces the Impreza by a mile, as does the seating position and clutch engagement. Of course, the power difference is enormous, but still fun.

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/files/788/mini-IMG_2538.JPG

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/files/788/mini-IMG_2539.JPG

http://www.aww-kittah-aww.com/up/files/788/mini-IMG_2542.JPG

I have plans on doing a 2002 WRX swap and throw some STI goodies on it. Suspension, turbo, seats, brakes, etc. It's all up in the air right now. I'm just enjoying my new babies for now. ;)

Edit:

To understand how much I love MR2's and the MR2 community. I've owned 3 of them, and have driven MR2's for nearly 7 years now. I'm one of the OG members of the MR2 forums and write a lot for the website and was a moderator on the forums.

Leaving the community has left a sort of ripple and people aren't too happy about it, I'm sure they'll get over it, but I'm still getting a little separation anxiety.

jvjim
22nd June 08, 07:02 PM
This is your best thread for the title alone. (It's also a nice story.)

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
22nd June 08, 08:14 PM
i'm having trouble understanding this. you traded an MR2 plus a grand for an impreza that's inferior to your MR2?

Sirc
22nd June 08, 09:52 PM
i'm having trouble understanding this. you traded an MR2 plus a grand for an impreza that's inferior to your MR2?

Not really inferior. It's more stable, and a better rounded vehicle. The MR2 was a monster tarmac car, but I can drive this on teh dirt, in the snow, in the gravel, and on tarmac.

The MR2 had more horsepower and better braking, but the RS isn't too far away. That and I am in need of a very practical vehicle. This is the first car I've owned in 7 years that actually has more than 2 seats and a trunk.

The other amazing thing is, this car has all of its factory manuals! This is the first time I've ever had a car with them. It's pretty awesome.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
22nd June 08, 10:09 PM
that junker wasn't yours?

Neildo
23rd June 08, 12:12 AM
AWD versus Midship RWD, I'd take AWD anyday. much more practical for everyday use.

So which one are you going to use for parts, the red one or the white one? Or are you going to make one for street and one competition/rally only?

I love the front end on those ones. I haven't liked the Impreza front end until this years. I think a few versions of the WRX were more powerful, but overall they've just been getting heavier and less powerful since the 2001's. Also; tons of after-market stuff for Imprezas, should make weight reduction a snap.

jvjim
23rd June 08, 01:19 AM
The title of the thread means "Good Bye Shit," that's why it's such a good thread. The juxtaposition of emotion.

Sirc
23rd June 08, 03:05 AM
that junker wasn't yours?

The Accord? Nope. Not mine. Just borrowing it.

AWD versus Midship RWD, I'd take AWD anyday. much more practical for everyday use.

So which one are you going to use for parts, the red one or the white one? Or are you going to make one for street and one competition/rally only?

I love the front end on those ones. I haven't liked the Impreza front end until this years. I think a few versions of the WRX were more powerful, but overall they've just been getting heavier and less powerful since the 2001's. Also; tons of after-market stuff for Imprezas, should make weight reduction a snap.

I want to keep the white one, but in the end it comes down to which one will cost me less to register. Then I'm going to put the other one up for sale for really cheap as a shell.

I plan on doing a WRX swap in the near future. Should be fun.

The title of the thread means "Good Bye Shit," that's why it's such a good thread. The juxtaposition of emotion.

I know. That's why I chose the title. You have killed its humor by talking about it.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
23rd June 08, 03:10 AM
you borrowed a car to drive like nine hundred miles?

Sirc
23rd June 08, 03:29 AM
you borrowed a car to drive like nine hundred miles?

Well, i paid for it because I needed a car really quick because I exploded 2nd and 4th gear in my transmission on the MR2. I also needed a car that would carry more than a midget Japanese person. But the title is in my parent's name. I didn't want to actually be the title owner.

Sirc
23rd June 08, 11:57 AM
Popped the cherry yesterday:

RcjWmjhzy90

Sirc
23rd June 08, 01:43 PM
Anything newer than '05 is a piece of shit.

Neildo
23rd June 08, 07:41 PM
i just like the bodywork. the hatchbacks are pretty sweet.