PDA

View Full Version : A father's love just drips from this: Awesome.

Steve
17th June 08, 01:23 AM
Wow, this is awesome. Very poignant for me since my dad backed out on my athletic dreams and let my single mom take the full brunt of the cost back in the day:

flRvsO8m_KI

Eric
17th June 08, 02:13 AM
I shed a manly tear.

WarPhalange
17th June 08, 02:39 AM
Jesus Christ. That pretty much overshadows any achievement I had hoped to make in my life. I'm gonna go cry myself to sleep now.

socratic
17th June 08, 03:53 AM
Dad +5 vs Disabilities!

JingMerchant!
17th June 08, 03:27 PM
There goes an example to us all....

Nice one Steve!!

Tanhalen21
17th June 08, 09:49 PM
They run the Boston Marathon every year

poidog
17th June 08, 11:48 PM
Saw this originally on HBO Sports. It's amazing.

ironlurker
17th June 08, 11:58 PM
I think the son died a few years back.

edit- whoops guess not

WarPhalange
18th June 08, 03:46 PM
Sure you will. Just smack your kid in the head with a 2x4 until he gets brain damage.

danno
18th June 08, 11:22 PM
when we see earthquakes, famine, tsunamis, the conflict in darfur, oil, upcoming global food crisis, global warming, any hint at the untold billions suffering, we change the channel to watch reruns of friends.

but when some old bloke takes his pet retard on wheels for a run, we all lose our shit.

fuck you humanity, fuck you.

http://www.fossilizedcustoms.com/vultureJPEG.jpg

Steve
18th June 08, 11:30 PM
I'll mention just one counter point: We see that on the news EVERY FUCKING DAY. No wonder people are so desensitized to it.

This video is old news. The point is I found it randomly just a day ago while we've been boohooing over the same stuff for a long time. It was touching to see someone actually do something about a bad situation, no matter how small compared to the fucked up world issues we're facing.

danno
18th June 08, 11:43 PM
in the same way i guess i'm pretty desensitised to stories like this.

millions = apathy.

one retard with soppy music = people calling up to donate money.

i'm not telling you to feel bad about admiring this man, i'm just a cynical bastard.

Steve
18th June 08, 11:58 PM
in the same way i guess i'm pretty desensitised to stories like this.

millions = apathy.

one retard with soppy music = people calling up to donate money.

i'm not telling you to feel bad about admiring this man, i'm just a cynical bastard.

I hear ya. I should have included this in the beginning of my reply: I absolutely see your point and agree.

I guess things did get over shadowed by everyone's responses. If you go to my OP, the main reason this struck a note with me was that the dad didn't back out on his kid's athletic dreams (for his son, it was his disability. For my dad it came down to a few hundred dollars).

WarPhalange
19th June 08, 01:18 AM
when we see earthquakes, famine, tsunamis, the conflict in darfur, oil, upcoming global food crisis, global warming, any hint at the untold billions suffering, we change the channel to watch reruns of friends.

but when some old bloke takes his pet retard on wheels for a run, we all lose our shit.

This guy represents what we all should be. Don't like how shit happens to humanity? Get the fuck off your ass and do something about it. That's what this guy did. He saw his son become a cripple and decided to fight through it and succeeded in making a difference and is continuing to do so. This type of story inspires us to do the same.

But no, it's easier to just be cynical and move on, which means you are doing the very same thing you are cussing out humanity for, which also makes you a hypocritical ass.

danno
19th June 08, 07:31 AM
this was the kind of response i expected after waltzing into this thread and having a little self righteous rant.

i'd never say something like that in front of the guy in the video, because i actually think he is a dead set champ.

one of the main reasons i come to sociocide is to read some interesting discussion on topics of the day, important stuff. it's one of the better places on the internet i've found. i come here to escape the fairy floss masquerading as steak that so many "news" shows on TV are.

i think that the spirit in which this video was made is more cynical than i am. i usually assume that commercial shows have little interest in their subjects, and greater interest in their audience. i get the impression that the motivation is money, not making the world a better place.

i'll explain something about my views. not so that you have more sympathy for me (though it may help my case?), but so that you'll understand my perspective a little more.

one my favourite people on the planet, my little brother has had brain damage from birth. lots of other complications too. when he had a kidney transplant at 11, he and my mum were asked by someone at hospital to help publicise the merits of being an organ donor. my brother was a cute kid, and is great to talk to, despite a speech impediment and some crazy ideas that kind of pop out at random.

so they were interviewed a few times in paper and on the radio (on the TV too? can't remember). there was a bit of a response, some phone calls and so on. a kind of miniature ad campaign which had the desired effect.

it made me wonder - why do these people need a cute face pushed in front of them to give a damn? i know, i can't blame everyone for not thinking about it, but i don't feel guilty when it pisses me off either.

i mean, it's not just that. lots of things have made me feel cynical. like our house burning down to the ground when i was 14, and i was kinda thinking "where are the news crews?" a few months later someone elses house burnt down in a town nearby and it was on the news. then it was on the news again when people gave donations.

i'm not saying it was the end of the world for us. the local people in town gave us some stuff, and i appreciated that. i remember my very first possession after losing everything - an old clock radio. i still have it somewhere...

anyways, my intention wasn't really to make anyone here feel like arseholes, it's more a shake of the fist at the general human condition.

WarPhalange
19th June 08, 11:46 AM
tl;dr you made a drunk post you say?

danno
19th June 08, 05:43 PM
i did have a drink before i posted that, but still think i did a pretty good job considering. i stand by what i said.

Tanhalen21
19th June 08, 08:06 PM
Danno what is your avatar of? It reminds me of the song "Born Under Punches" by Talking Heads. The part where he says "no thanks, I'm a government man."

danno
19th June 08, 10:43 PM
not sure where it is from, can't remember how i found it.

obviously it's about being a good christian and staying away from the booze. maybe i should do some of that. i mean, the abstaining from alcohol part, not the christian part.

but i thought it was hilarious. the purposefulness of the pose, the expression, how he is half way through lifting the fork to his mouth, the first person view... as i was growing up, this man is what i thought a good xtian to be. handsome, determined, organised, righteous.

Tanhalen21
19th June 08, 10:45 PM
And it looks just like he's saying "No thanks, I'm a government man."

Steve
19th June 08, 11:15 PM
i did have a drink before i posted that, but still think i did a pretty good job considering. i stand by what i said.

Don't listen to Poop Loops, I thought it was a good post, very interesting.

Truculent Sheep
20th June 08, 12:48 PM
I'm probably going to hell for this:

CyV7-_Z5Q7Y

WarPhalange
21st June 08, 12:28 AM
Don't listen to Poop Loops, I thought it was a good post, very interesting.

I didn't even read his post. It was too long.

jvjim
21st June 08, 12:49 AM
I think it's an old Soviet propaganda piece (danno's avatar.) I recognize it from a digg article about USSR media.

danno
21st June 08, 12:53 AM
I think it's an old Soviet propaganda piece (danno's avatar.) I recognize it from a digg article about USSR media.

you're shitting me.

Steve
21st June 08, 01:05 AM
I didn't even read his post. It was too long.

Yeah, I know. I was talking about the drunk comment.

ironlurker
21st June 08, 01:06 AM
I'm probably going to hell for this

You're forgetting the other thing you did that time?

Truculent Sheep
21st June 08, 03:18 AM
The nuns have forgiven me and my conviction should be spent in 2013.

Cullion
21st June 08, 04:13 PM
I'm a father.

Does anybody want to see what my love drips out of?

danno
21st June 08, 04:57 PM
aaawww, you mean your heart? the fact that a grown man can express his love in such a way fills me with hope for mankind.

*tear*

bob
21st June 08, 05:14 PM
I'm a father.

Does anybody want to see what my love drips out of?

You're forgetting that restraining order again.