PDA

View Full Version : would you drive an electric car?

danno
8th June 08, 09:38 PM
Advantages of electric vehicles

Electric motors are mechanically very simple, and release almost no air pollutants at the place where they are operated.

Electric motors often achieve 90% energy conversion efficiency[23]over the full range of speeds and power output and can be precisely controlled. They can also be combined with regenerative braking systems that have the ability to convert movement energy back into stored electricity. This can be used to reduce the wear on brake systems (and consequent brake pad dust) and reduce the total energy requirement of a trip, especially effective for start-and-stop city use.

They can be finely controlled and provide high torque from rest, unlike internal combustion engines, and do not need gears to match power curves. This removes the need for gearboxes and torque converters.

Another advantage is that electric vehicles typically have less vibration and noise pollution than a vehicle powered by an internal combustion engine, whether it is at rest or in motion.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_vehicle

AND - fuel is getting so freaking expensive, it's killing me.

the tesla car, which everyone should already know about:

kRd7ER7u-KU

as far as i can see, the biggest problem would be charging the thing. i don't want to wait 3 hours, i want to fill it up and go. perhaps replaceable battery packs that you pick up instead of going to the bowser? which would be hard since the things are massive at the moment.

i know very little about cars and stuff, so this might sound stupid - could you fit a little solar panel to the top of your car to supplement the power bill? could this be done to a hybrid vehicle?

would you drive an electric car if they were priced competitively?

WarPhalange
8th June 08, 09:44 PM
Of course.

Aphid Jones
8th June 08, 09:45 PM
would you drive an electric car if they were priced competitively?
Yes I would.

WarPhalange
8th June 08, 09:46 PM
Oh, and this is regardless of the whole "environmental" thing, too. I just want a car that is quieter and more efficient.

You still have to MAKE the electricity somehow, so that doesn't solve the problem of pollution, but it's easier for a huge power plant to stay clean than for each individual, just because all the shit is being produced there already, instead of having to put some weird filter on every car exhaust.

danno
8th June 08, 09:48 PM
Oh, and this is regardless of the whole "environmental" thing, too. I just want a car that is quieter and more efficient.

You still have to MAKE the electricity somehow, so that doesn't solve the problem of pollution, but it's easier for a huge power plant to stay clean than for each individual, just because all the shit is being produced there already, instead of having to put some weird filter on every car exhaust.

i'm pretty sure that you're still going to create less pollution, even if you get your power from coal or whatever.

bob
8th June 08, 09:50 PM
If God had intended us not to use petrol he wouldn't have killed the dinosaurs off and left their bodies underground to rot.

MrGalt
8th June 08, 10:00 PM
Sure I'll drive an electric car, as soon as a few things are true:
Total cost of ownership (purchase, fuel, maintenance) is equal to or less than that of a gas car.
It will run as far as I might possibly drive in a day on one charge (~1,000 miles)
It will fully recharge in no more time than it takes me to recharge (sleep) after a drive of comparable distance.
Its performance, interior space, cargo capacity, handling, etc. are equivalent to that of a gas car of comparable price.

Fuck the environment. I have places to go.

danno
8th June 08, 10:20 PM
Sure I'll drive an electric car, as soon as a few things are true:
Total cost of ownership (purchase, fuel, maintenance) is equal to or less than that of a gas car.
It will run as far as I might possibly drive in a day on one charge (~1,000 miles)
It will fully recharge in no more time than it takes me to recharge (sleep) after a drive of comparable distance.
Its performance, interior space, cargo capacity, handling, etc. are equivalent to that of a gas car of comparable price.

Fuck the environment. I have places to go.

i think all these things will happen if people actually start buying them. i predict they will be much cheaper to make when mass produced, so cheaper to buy.

though, i'm not totally sure about the 1000 miles thing. unless you can exchange the battery pack at a service station or something. perhaps like a drive through thing where a little crane lowers them into the car, which could be pretty fast.

MrGalt
8th June 08, 10:28 PM
Then it's a hard sell. I occasionally drive that far. It sucks, but it gets done. If you tell me I have to stop in the middle multiple times to recharge for several hours, it's not acceptable. Of course I agree that with a whole industry working on it things would improve. I remember when it took longer to charge my cell phone than it did to discharge it, but that turned around eventually.

Overall I don't think people will happily accept recharge times. Battery exchanges won't work though because some dumbass ricer will fuck up batteries that get put back into the general pool and set my car on fire, etc. Only chemical fuel will give you that instant recharge that gets you back on the road to finish the trip in a reasonable amount of time. Aren't there avenues we could explore along the "burning chemicals" line that would be profitable alternatives to petrol?

Maybe we need a hybrid ethanol/hydrogen/electric car with regenerative braking and full-body solar cells., just as soon as we can make every system maintenance free and affordable.

Besides, as Loops mentioned, with electric all you're doing is relocating the power generation, and losing some to entropy when you transmit it too. When you stop to think that America's electricity is still mostly generated by coal (I may be out of date on that statistic), your only real question is whether you'd rather have acid rain than smog.

Food prices are being affected by the ethanol craze at the moment. What is electricity going to cost if it starts going in your car as well as your air conditioner and Playstation?

bob
8th June 08, 10:32 PM
The latest generation of batteries can recharge in about 10 minutes I think.

MrGalt
8th June 08, 11:24 PM
for cell phones I assume you mean

bob
8th June 08, 11:30 PM
for cell phones I assume you mean

No.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NanoSafe

Neildo
9th June 08, 02:49 AM
i'd drive a tZero any day. weighs less than a metric ton, faster than a ferrari.

http://www.acpropulsion.com/tzero/

Arhetton
9th June 08, 05:32 AM
Sure I would drive one. I'm really keen to see them more technologically developed.

But I wouldn't be too overawed by the fact that it was electric to believe that it was good for the environment. Making anything has an environmental impact, like to make steel you have to have a mine somewhere etc so the components that are in the electric car such as the engine block and assembly, power train, batteries, I would be interested in the kind of damage making them would be doing.

I like fresh air though, so I hope they are popular.

Solar cells aren't efficient enough to power something like a car yet. The best only convert about 5-20% of the energy which falls on any given area. When solar cells become more efficient I think they'll definately be put on cars. You could probably power a stereo system or something like that with a current solar cell.

EvilSteve
9th June 08, 01:26 PM
Only if they make it sound like a ferrari and they have real-feeling clutch and stick shift action. Oh, it should also smell faintly of gasoline when you are outside of the car. And it has to drip stuff on your driveway. Black lube-like stuff. And green coolaid like stuff.

I don't care what it sounds like or drips, but I too lament the decline of the stick shift. Paddle shifters can bite my ass.

Sirc
9th June 08, 03:13 PM
No.

The revs and rumble of the engines are an incredible feeling and adds to the experience of driving.

No noises, no vibrations, no rumble? No thanks.

MrGalt
9th June 08, 03:49 PM
I see no reason that one couldn't make a stickshift electric car other than wanting to be more futuristic.

danno
9th June 08, 05:54 PM
No.

The revs and rumble of the engines are an incredible feeling and adds to the experience of driving.

No noises, no vibrations, no rumble? No thanks.

that's what i was expecting from you.

what if it had better performance? what if one day you get beaten in a rally by an electric car?

WarPhalange
9th June 08, 08:11 PM
He'd kill himself. You'd kill yourself, right SirC? Please tell me you'd kill yourself.

Commodore Pipes
9th June 08, 08:16 PM

Does your current vehicle go this far on a single tank of gas?

WarPhalange
9th June 08, 08:34 PM
No, but his point is he doesn't have to spend 10 hours refilling his gas tank.

Sirc
10th June 08, 05:32 AM
that's what i was expecting from you.

what if it had better performance? what if one day you get beaten in a rally by an electric car?

So?

The newer STI and newer cars are faster than my impreza in the dirt. It's not the performance I'm concerned with. It's the feeling of the drive I'm concerned with.

For example, I don't really have any desire to drive the Nissan GTR no matter how fast it is. It's really just a big box of electronics that holds your hands and steers the car for you. The more technology thrown into a car, the more it intrudes into the drive. It bugs the shit out of me.

I can drive an M3 faster on average by 3 seconds or so with traction control and ABS off than with it on. Actually just a few weekends ago, I was driving a Scion XB through the dirt (company car of a friend's it was funny) with traction control on and ran a 55 second lap on the course. Average being 47 seconds. Then I turned traction control off and ran a 46.xxx.

My point is, electric cars are going to, by nature have all those retarded dumb electronics that are incredibly intrusive and upset my driving feel. There are no cars around anymore that are really "driver's cars." The last one being the S2000 and MR2 Spyder. Even my beloved STI and Evolution are cross the line over mechanical superiority into driver assisted vehicles.

Sure they may be faster by mere fractions of a second, but in the end, it doesn't really matter because unless you're racing for placement or points, the driving feel should be more important. I mean fuck, I drive competitively and I choose my cars based on the driving experience vs. how fast they are.

danno
10th June 08, 06:01 AM
i was watching this debate on TV not long ago about the future of electric vehicles, and they were talking about how petrol cars are going to be obsolete in the future. the car enthusiasts were getting a little upsest.

no one seemed to realise that even though internal combustion engines might get phased out eventually for day to day transport, there will still be people driving these things for fun. i'm sure that people like you would be willing to pay extremely high prices for fuel for your hobby.

once oil gets insanely expensive, would you consider buying an electric car for day to day use?

Sirc
10th June 08, 06:20 AM
i was watching this debate on TV not long ago about the future of electric vehicles, and they were talking about how petrol cars are going to be obsolete in the future. the car enthusiasts were getting a little upsest.

no one seemed to realise that even though internal combustion engines might get phased out eventually for day to day transport, there will still be people driving these things for fun. i'm sure that people like you would be willing to pay extremely high prices for fuel for your hobby.

once oil gets insanely expensive, would you consider buying an electric car for day to day use?

Probably.

My heart will still be broken though. It's just that I don't see someone making a fun car that still gives you the same driving feel that isn't just a bunch of assists. I love a car that sets a potential and makes you work and have skill to drive to its potential. Not a car that holds your hand and corrects all your mistakes. People who drive with driver assists should be ashamed that they suck at driving so much.

Commodore Pipes
10th June 08, 08:23 AM
No, but his point is he doesn't have to spend 10 hours refilling his gas tank.

Well, shit, don't you think some enterprising oil company or independent gas station owner will figure out an attractive AND cost effective way to recharge/replace batteries for money? Someone will figure out a better way to do it faster and/or cheaper, if the money's there. Maybe that's not the way it is now, but how long did it take the automobile to catch on - 30,40 years? Of course, they had to contend with the interference of multi-national global horse conglomerates.

HappyOldGuy
10th June 08, 12:44 PM
Electric motorcycles make ridiculously more sense. Those are within easy technological reach. The commercial models are still a little underpowered for freeway use, but if you geek out you can build a useable model that can go 75 with a hundred mile range.

Yes I know you can do the same with a car, but the difference is that doing it with a cycle actually makes financial and environmental sense. Cars require so many batteries that they will never be practical.

Sirc
10th June 08, 01:01 PM
Electric motorcycles make ridiculously more sense. Those are within easy technological reach. The commercial models are still a little underpowered for freeway use, but if you geek out you can build a useable model that can go 75 with a hundred mile range.

Yes I know you can do the same with a car, but the difference is that doing it with a cycle actually makes financial and environmental sense. Cars require so many batteries that they will never be practical.

I helped a friend build an electrical bicycle. It was cool, it only cost about $1000 excluding the price of the bicycle. It only got up to 30mph, but it had about a 200 mile range between charge. With a bigger electrical motor, we could get it to about 60mph.

danno
10th June 08, 04:38 PM
well fuck, if someone can do it in their back yard, millions of dollars of research should be able to come up with something decent.

Neildo
10th June 08, 05:03 PM
Next time, buy an engine from AC propulsion and put it on a motorcycle chassis. it makes a lot of sense actually, and it would be a lot lighter because you wouldn't need the gearbox. or a fuel tank. just a bigass battery.

Robot Jesus
11th June 08, 12:40 AM

might 640 miles be sufficent,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt

and with this one you can fill it up.

MrGalt
11th June 08, 01:31 AM
might 640 miles be sufficent,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt

and with this one you can fill it up.

That's hybrid, not electric, which doesn't get us away from the gasoline price problem, just softens the blow. Actually this looks like it could be the worst of all three worlds. I still get to pay for gas like a gas car, I still get a higher electric bill because I plugged it into the wall, and I still get the higher maintenance costs associated with a hybrid, which has many more interdependent systems than a gas car.

Otherwise, while that's actually an attractive car, it fails another important test for me, which is, "Would I pay that much for a conventional car of similar performance/size, etc." No. I wouldn't pay 40 grand for a Chevrolet sedan.

When the only difference between the electric car and the gas car is a little chrome badge on the trunk lid that says "400 Volt" instead of "2.2 Liter" or whatever, I'm on board. Until then I'm not really willing to compromise, but hey, I'm only one guy.

Oh, and thanks Poop Loops for pointing out the obvious for me. I can empty and fill a gas car indefinitely as long as I'm propped up by sufficient Red Bull and Pop Tarts and the tunes are going.

MrGalt
11th June 08, 01:37 AM
Actually now that I look at it, it's odd. It has an onboard generator, but there is still a hard limit on how far it can go before it MUST be plugged in? That's strange. In that case it's an absolute deal breaker.

BTW, just looked up the longest drive I've ever made in a single sitting on Mapquest. I went from Knoxville, Tennessee to Lincoln, Nebraska back in September. It was 929 miles. I had farther to go when I stopped for necessary sleep. I'll have to continue to use that as my range limit for an acceptable alternatively fueled vehicle.

WarPhalange
11th June 08, 01:53 AM
You went that far without refilling or without stopping for a break? Because that's a huge difference.

MrGalt
11th June 08, 02:04 AM
I went that far without stopping for multiple hours. Sure there were two meals, some bathroom breaks, and three fuel stops, but as you mentioned above none of them were for ten hours.

Sirc
11th June 08, 03:35 AM
I don't see how you guys think that an electric car is goign to solve all of our problems. There will still be a need to use petroleum to make things. Tires, chairs, interior, etc. On top of that the massive consumption of electricity is going to call for more power stations to be installed and their generators need gas and the gas needed to build the generators and the petroleum needed to build the stuff that's inside of the station.

It'll still cost petroleum. On top of that, they're gonna charge you for "fueling" up the E-car as well. They'll find a way.

Neildo
11th June 08, 03:53 AM
Hemp, yo!

http://www.ecocomposite.org/agfibers/hemp.htm

i may not be a stinky hippie, but i would totally drive an electric car with hemp resin interior and hemp fabric seats. a lot of cars have fiberglass body pieces, they can make that shit out of hemp too. but i would still need baller ass rims with really low profile pirellis or some shit. oh and i guess that sweet new memory foam for the seats.

Sirc
11th June 08, 04:52 AM
Hemp, yo!

http://www.ecocomposite.org/agfibers/hemp.htm

i may not be a stinky hippie, but i would totally drive an electric car with hemp resin interior and hemp fabric seats. a lot of cars have fiberglass body pieces, they can make that shit out of hemp too. but i would still need baller ass rims with really low profile pirellis or some shit. oh and i guess that sweet new memory foam for the seats.

Fiberglass is easier to lay and mold vs. hemp.

MrGalt
11th June 08, 05:51 AM
Oh great, make the car out of hemp and then eliminate the best chance you had for setting the thing on fire.

danno
11th June 08, 07:32 AM
I don't see how you guys think that an electric car is goign to solve all of our problems. There will still be a need to use petroleum to make things. Tires, chairs, interior, etc. On top of that the massive consumption of electricity is going to call for more power stations to be installed and their generators need gas and the gas needed to build the generators and the petroleum needed to build the stuff that's inside of the station.

It'll still cost petroleum. On top of that, they're gonna charge you for "fueling" up the E-car as well. They'll find a way.

so using electric cars will free up a little more oil for the petrochemical based industries. if we can do that, the oil we have left will last longer until we find an alternative.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
11th June 08, 09:41 AM
That's hybrid, not electric, which doesn't get us away from the gasoline price problem, just softens the blow. Actually this looks like it could be the worst of all three worlds. I still get to pay for gas like a gas car, I still get a higher electric bill because I plugged it into the wall, and I still get the higher maintenance costs associated with a hybrid, which has many more interdependent systems than a gas car.

Hybrids fuel for pennies on the gallon. The plug-in hybrids can be set to utilize off-peak hours to recharge and are cheaper per gallon than the conventional hybrids if I'm not mistaken.

Otherwise, while that's actually an attractive car, it fails another important test for me, which is, "Would I pay that much for a conventional car of similar performance/size, etc." No. I wouldn't pay 40 grand for a Chevrolet sedan.

They also only cost about 25k now.

MrGalt
11th June 08, 04:21 PM
Uh, Volt is supposed to be out in 2010. It can't be had for any price now. Or were you meaning hybrids in general?

How exactly do hybrids fuel for pennies on the gallon? I'm assuming you mean pennies on the miles since a gallon's a gallon no matter what you put it in. Actually, hybrids tend to give you what, a 20% advantage over the equivalent gas car right now?

A few years ago I read Consumer Reports where it was pointed out that the only hybrid that even saved enough fuel to pay for the DIFFERENCE in price was the Prius, and that took 7 years. I'm sure higher fuel prices make things a little better now, but I also hear that Priuses (Prii?) are aging rather poorly.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
11th June 08, 07:55 PM
In a 2006 research estimate in California, the cost to plug in at night was equivalent to US$0.75 per U.S. gallon (3.8 L) of gasoline,[1] whereas the pre-tax cost of gasoline is just under US$3 per gallon. The cost of electricity for a Prius PHEV is about US$0.03 per mile (US$0.019 per km), based on 0.26 kWh/mi (129 mpg) and a cost of electricity of US$0.10 per kilowatt hour.[78][79] During 2008, many government and industry researchers are focusing on determining what level of all-electric range is economically optimum for the design.[80] In 2008, a PHEV can travel 30 miles for just US$ 1.04 (the same mileage as a gallon of gasoline costing $3.00.)[81]

MrGalt
12th June 08, 07:43 PM
Good numbers. Did you see the Forbes.com article on PHEV kits for existing hybrids? I actually like the idea that I might someday be able to hybridize a car I actually like instead of having to drive one of the ready-made ones.

How long will we have to capitalize on the PHEV scene before the cost of electricity skyrockets?

WarPhalange
12th June 08, 08:06 PM
I don't think it will "skyrocket", but it will go up when people stop using gasoline and go more towards electricity.

Still, it's much easier to make an entire power plant more efficient than to focus on individual cars.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
12th June 08, 10:18 PM
there's gonna be more gas to power oil plants too

Cullion
13th June 08, 10:19 AM
Most of the new power plants built in the US run on natural gas rather than oil.

You've also got a hella lot of coal (centuries worth at current rates of consumption), but I don't think the US has shown much interest in carbon-scrubbing technology for coal plants.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
13th June 08, 02:37 PM
I fully respect michael moore's ability to make a movie about the increase in carbon emissions from the switch from burning fuel in our own cars to burning fuel in coal plants to power our cars.

he can team up with al gore

Cullion
13th June 08, 02:45 PM
You're going to charge your electric cars from a mix of natural gas, coal, solar and wind power stations as oil is phased out, and then, I'm hopeful, Fusion power will become commercially available within 50 years.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
13th June 08, 02:46 PM
who will win the next console war?

Cullion
13th June 08, 02:49 PM
Sony. Always and forever.

Next?

HappyOldGuy
13th June 08, 02:51 PM
You're going to charge your electric cars from a mix of natural gas, coal, solar and wind power stations as oil is phased out, and then, I'm hopeful, Fusion power will become commercially available within 50 years.

Plain ol Nuclear will get involved long before Fusion is commercially practical.

Also Hydro is a significant source in alot of places in the states.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
13th June 08, 02:54 PM
Will I ever find true love and will she have a vagina or a penis?

WarPhalange
13th June 08, 02:56 PM
Please say both.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
13th June 08, 02:57 PM
Aw, I didn't know you wanted to be my sweetheart.

WarPhalange
13th June 08, 03:01 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
13th June 08, 03:04 PM
You're going to have to get a haircut.

Cullion
13th June 08, 03:09 PM
True love is a mirage. The best you can hope for is somebody you still want to fuck after the first 5 years, who you can get along with as a room-mate and trust with money and their half of the child-rearing. Lots of people obviously don't manage this, and either seperate or live lives of quiet desperation, but I think you probably can as long as you stay as cynical in real life as you are on the Internet.

Cullion
13th June 08, 03:11 PM
Plain ol Nuclear will get involved long before Fusion is commercially practical.

Maybe. It varies by country. In lots of Western Europe and the US building new plants is politically difficult. It would take really serious, prolonged energy shortgages for people to start saying 'fuck it, I'm tired of being cold in winter and having random power cuts, ok, build one, but be careful, alright?'

Also Hydro is a significant source in alot of places in the states.

It's a tiny, tiny fraction of your current energy needs AIUI.

WarPhalange
13th June 08, 03:17 PM
All we need to make nuclear power more appealing to the common idiot is to change the name to something.

MRI? That used to be NMRI, "nuclear magnetic resonance imaging" but people freaked about about the "nuclear" part so they had to change it. "Nuclear" just means it pertains to the nucleus of the atom.

Cullion
13th June 08, 03:22 PM
Elf-beams?

HappyOldGuy
13th June 08, 03:31 PM
Maybe. It varies by country. In lots of Western Europe and the US building new plants is politically difficult. It would take really serious, prolonged energy shortgages for people to start saying 'fuck it, I'm tired of being cold in winter and having random power cuts, ok, build one, but be careful, alright?'
It's getting less difficult, and you are seeing bipartisan efforts in that direction. Which is a big sign. Even politicians can come to the right decision eventually after bludgeoning themselves about the head long enough.

It's a tiny, tiny fraction of your current energy needs AIUI.
It's 15% in California. 7% nationally.

Kiko
13th June 08, 04:50 PM
Have any of you been car shopping lately? Priuses seem to be either very difficult to find or way overpriced if they can be found. All well and good for you single folks or even couples, but try something you can fit a family into with a family budget. That's only a hybrid.

Clearly the automotive industry and all the others aren't gonna make it easy, but then again, we're consumerist capitalist pigs so we deserve it, right?

Good thing the intarweb doesn't need oil!

danno
13th June 08, 06:04 PM
they're developing larger cars at the moment. people will be driving family size hybrids around aus within the next couple of years.

MrGalt
13th June 08, 08:21 PM
I would totally buy a car with a fission pile in the trunk.

Truculent Sheep
30th June 08, 06:48 AM
Use volcanoes!

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/earth/main.jhtml?xml=/earth/2008/06/26/eavolcano126.xml

Madgrenade
30th June 08, 10:13 AM
Has anyone ever read the nights dawn trilogy?

Antimatter ftw!

danno
30th June 08, 04:37 PM
how do i kill my wife?

SpringHeeledJack
30th June 08, 04:45 PM
how do i kill my wife?Take her to Six Flags and throw her hat under the batman Roller coaster.

Cullion
30th June 08, 04:58 PM
So my ten years beat the curve? YES! I am the love guru. (the real deal, not the poorly grossing movie of the same name)

This is now the ask Nun relationship advice thread.

I've been talking to this American chick on the Internet and she's pretty hot, but she's really into Italians. I've been pretending that I'm called Mario and stuff, but I want her to get to know the real me, but I'm scared she'll be disappointed when she finds out that the guy she's been talking to has Austin Powers teeth and doesn't really toss a mean Alfredo. How do I broach the subject ?

jvjim
30th June 08, 05:10 PM
That shit's pretty close to the vest man.

I'd drive an electric car, as long as it was as convient as my 'stanger and pissed off hippies just as much (and made me look at least as sexy.)

Cullion
30th June 08, 05:12 PM
NOB can take it.

Toby Christensen
30th June 08, 10:09 PM
I want a car that has:
1. Safety
2. Safety
3. Safety

Amphibious abilities so I can pop up and down the Brisbane river like some sort of LARPER are good too. Preferable actually.

Sirc
1st July 08, 04:09 AM
I want a car that has:
1. Safety
2. Safety
3. Safety

Amphibious abilities so I can pop up and down the Brisbane river like some sort of LARPER are good too. Preferable actually.

Ha ha.

You'll never be able to drive a car cripple. Get out of here.

Toby Christensen
1st July 08, 04:24 AM
Where's your degree in Molecular Neuroscience?
Provide evidence of one and I will.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st July 08, 04:46 AM
Didn't you once mention being legally barred from driving except for emergency purposes?

Toby Christensen
1st July 08, 04:54 AM
Yes, but if somebody slips the Queensland Brain Institute enough baksheesh we could see people having full functioning in 10 years or less.

Plus I'm STILL smarter than most of my critics.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st July 08, 04:59 AM
You know what's cool about driving? I can go places whenever I want. Even if they're really far away.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st July 08, 05:00 AM
It's like walking, only way faster. It's even faster than running. I figure running is about as fast as you're ever allowed to go.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st July 08, 05:00 AM
I mean, they probably don't let you run in the wards but they have an exercise yard right?

Toby Christensen
1st July 08, 05:02 AM
Hmm, true, but I've been thinking of investing in a bike. Think "small CBD that tried to be built on the grid system and sprawled outwards" and you have Brisbane.

Plus it is advised in the "Zombie Survival Guide" to use a bike to flee the turmoil.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st July 08, 05:04 AM
I could see how the Zombie Survival Guide could be funny if you're functionally retarded.

Toby Christensen
1st July 08, 05:04 AM
I mean, they probably don't let you run in the wards but they have an exercise yard right?

Well, I'm classed now as "not needing hospitalisation", but when I was in the wards I just used to walk laps. It was as boring as hell, but it kept me fit.

The gym got flooded out and the hospital refuses to replace it.

Toby Christensen
1st July 08, 05:07 AM
I could see how the Zombie Survival Guide could be funny if you're functionally retarded.

Well some of the options aren't open to me as an immediate option, but Max Brooks makes several poorly researched statements (Western armour poor, clunky heavy, weapons impractical) and his choice of melee weapons is odd.

I think ironically enough "Shaun of the Dead" functions to better educate us on zombie outbreaks.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st July 08, 05:08 AM
I'm pretty sure your legs have to work for a suit of armor to be helpful.

Toby Christensen
1st July 08, 05:11 AM
Well that's not a problem then obviously given that I spend at least an hour walking every day.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st July 08, 05:13 AM
I meant work well.

Toby Christensen
1st July 08, 05:15 AM
They work well enough

Sirc
1st July 08, 02:42 PM
It'll be funny to watch you during a zombie invasion. You'll always just barely be ahead of the zombies. Of course, I'll be right ahead of you with a car or a truck or something that you can't operate laughing and throwing obstacles out the back of the car.

Driving is like operating a robot on wheels. It must really suck to be you.

WarPhalange
1st July 08, 03:50 PM
And you two wonder why people get you confused.

Toby Christensen
1st July 08, 06:43 PM
Sirc,

There would be nothing to stop me from stealing a car in such a scenario. Besides, in that case I would have "borrowed" a gun from the local shooting range and shot you as superfluous to requirements.

And then I would have awaited the zombie invasion.

danno
3rd July 08, 10:42 PM
plug in hybrids are the way of the future!

As of July 2008, plug-in hybrid passenger vehicles are not yet in production. However, Toyota,[3] General Motors,[4] Ford,[5] Chinese automaker BYD Auto,[6] California startups Fisker Automotive[7] and Aptera Motors,[8] and Volkswagen[9] have announced their intention to introduce production PHEV automobiles. The PHEV-60 BYD F6DM sedan and F3DM hatchback are expected in 2009;[10] the luxury Fisker Karma PHEV-50 sports car is slated for late 2009; and the Toyota Prius, GM's PHEV-40 Chevrolet Volt and Saturn Vue and the Volkswagen Golf PHEV50km plug-ins are expected in 2010.[11][12] Conversion kits and services are available to convert production model hybrid vehicles to plug-ins.[13][14] Most PHEVs on the road in the U.S. are conversions of 2004 or later Toyota Prius models, which have had plug-in charging added and their electric-only range extended.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plug-in_hybrid