PDA

View Full Version : Balls of Fury

Steve
8th June 08, 01:38 AM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/balls.gifI've tried searching with our UBER BROKEN search function for the thread about this film with no avail. Anyway, I just finished watching it and here's my review:

I was pleasantly surprised with this $7 dollar purchase (one out of a '3 for $20' sale at Blockbuster).

Basically it's an uber Bruce Lee fan flick in comedy form. It loosely follows Enter the Dragon but then has multiple cameos of Jason Scott Lee (from Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001462/)) which was a nice touch.

The humor wasn't as toilet based as I thought it would be (due to seeing previews of transmitters being planted in the heroes asses, etc), and Christopher Walken was as awesome as always.

The actual Ping Pong playing wasn't as over the top as I thought it would be either. Very well done, I've seen just as real crazy shit on YouTube (crazy shit as in the thread Sirc posted, not that anything in the movie has ever been seen in a real Ping Pong tourney).

Overall I give it 7/10, I'm glad I bought it for 7 bucks, but the real point is I'm glad I bought it. Would watch again.

Shawarma
8th June 08, 09:32 AM
How does it fare vs Kung Pow?

Steve
8th June 08, 02:19 PM
There is no comparison, well, it has only one fight scene and that is just the hot female love interest kicking ass. So in that regard it is much better than Kung Pow.

But I couldn't even finish Kung Pow, so I may just be biased against really shitty parody films.

kungfujew
8th June 08, 02:30 PM
There is no comparison, well, it has only one fight scene and that is just the hot female love interest kicking ass. So in that regard it is much better than Kung Pow.

But I couldn't even finish Kung Pow, so I may just be biased against really shitty parody films.

I think those were my two greatest movie rental blunders of my first relationship:
1. Renting Kung Pao to watch with my girlfriend (mistake)
2. Renting Ninja Scroll to watch with my girlfriend (not having seen it before, HUGE mistake)

Shawarma
8th June 08, 03:00 PM
You're better off without her. A girl that can not appreciate the glory that is Kung Pow is no girl for a nice Jewish boy.

kungfujew
8th June 08, 03:06 PM
You're better off without her. A girl that can not appreciate the glory that is Kung Pow is no girl for a nice Jewish boy.

In more ways than you can imagine.

Shawarma
8th June 08, 03:08 PM
She didn't like Enter the Dragon either?

Equipoise
8th June 08, 03:50 PM

The movie or....?

Dark Helmet
8th June 08, 04:42 PM
http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/balls.gifI've tried searching with our UBER BROKEN search function for the thread about this film with no avail. Anyway, I just finished watching it and here's my review:

I was pleasantly surprised with this $7 dollar purchase (one out of a '3 for $20' sale at Blockbuster).

Basically it's an uber Bruce Lee fan flick in comedy form. It loosely follows Enter the Dragon but then has multiple cameos of Jason Scott Lee (from Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001462/)) which was a nice touch.

The humor wasn't as toilet based as I thought it would be (due to seeing previews of transmitters being planted in the heroes asses, etc), and Christopher Walken was as awesome as always.

The actual Ping Pong playing wasn't as over the top as I thought it would be either. Very well done, I've seen just as real crazy shit on YouTube (crazy shit as in the thread Sirc posted, not that anything in the movie has ever been seen in a real Ping Pong tourney).

Overall I give it 7/10, I'm glad I bought it for 7 bucks, but the real point is I'm glad I bought it. Would watch again.If you like every cliched scene including a fight to the death in the finale which was taken from about 20 other MA films .Watch this movie.

I gave it a 4/10.

Equipoise
8th June 08, 04:51 PM
Yeah... Steve that movie was really bad. How on earth can you give it a 7?

Steve
8th June 08, 11:06 PM
I dunno, maybe because my hopes weren't that high going in?

Dark Helmet
11th June 08, 08:25 PM
That's what she said.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
11th June 08, 09:58 PM

Kung Pow was shit. Nothing more than a poor man's Kung Fu Hustle.

kungfujew
12th June 08, 09:56 AM

Yeah, we had our Enter the Dragon marathons back in the day, the kind where she couldn't walk for 15 minutes afterwards.

Shawarma
12th June 08, 10:47 AM
Yeah, we had our Enter the Drag Queen marathons back in the day, the kind where she/he couldn't walk for 15 minutes afterwards.
Fixed.