PDA

View Full Version : Hit and Run: What a bunch of sheepy douches people are

Steve
7th June 08, 04:24 AM
Reminded me of my class in Emergency Response in college, even came back to get strapped up with cheesy fake blood spurters and used my shitty acting skills to test the next classes a couple times.

This sickens me.

wdzjCluZta4

I uploaded this vid to my YouTube account, the police notice that is asking for help finding the driver is here: http://www.hartford.gov/police/PR_2008/2008_06_04_TorresHitandRunPR_Video.htm

Steve
7th June 08, 04:34 AM
NOTE: It sickens me also because he was a retard walking around in the street.

*I should have mentioned that in the first post...*

Madgrenade
7th June 08, 08:10 AM
In America they take Jaywalking very seriously. Let this be a lesson to ye...

Odacon
7th June 08, 08:14 AM
After watching that I hope terrorists nuke all your major cities.

socratic
7th June 08, 06:51 PM
All the people who swerved around the body and kept driving need to be shot for lacking the necessary empathy to be human.

WarPhalange
7th June 08, 07:49 PM
People who swerved I can't hate too much. They maybe thought he was just drunk or British.

But the people who SAW it happened and just stood there going "HOOO EEEEE!! DIDJALL SEE HIM GET THUNKED???" are the people who should get charged with criminal negligence.

bob
7th June 08, 09:41 PM
Unfortunately it's a natural response these days. People are worried about getting sued. I have to get extra clauses in my professional indemnity insurance these days (and therefore extra bucks on my premium) just to protect me from the possible consequences of 'good Samaritan' acts outside of work.

That, and the people were douchebags.

knutorious
7th June 08, 10:39 PM
All the people who swerved around the body and kept driving need to be shot for lacking the necessary empathy to be human.

Im rounding out my morals wth some of the stuff you guys have been saying.

As an avid bicyclist in Tucson (traffic motto: certain peeps will run over a mother and her baby if it'll save them some time), I've had roughly 5 near misses of people cutting in front of me at the last second just to make a turn-in within the last year.

There was this one girl who darted into the oncoming lane just as i was halfway crossing the street. A friend of mine got fibromyealgia b/c some sorority chick rear ended her. First person the soho called was daddy.

And Im considering using my cable and lock to smash some windshields. I've had a cup of pennies hit me in the knee for shit's sake.

WarPhalange
7th June 08, 10:44 PM
Unfortunately it's a natural response these days. People are worried about getting sued. I have to get extra clauses in my professional indemnity insurance these days (and therefore extra bucks on my premium) just to protect me from the possible consequences of 'good Samaritan' acts outside of work.

That, and the people were douchebags.

I don't know what you do, but I was under the impression that in the US there was a "good Samaritan" law in place already.

Steve
7th June 08, 10:53 PM
You have to actually ask someone, no matter how fucked up they might be, if you can help them before you can do anything.

If they didn't say "Yes, help me" you've just opened up a shitcan full of worms. "Huh, my surgery didn't give me all my mobility back, it must of been that jerk that dragged me off the road without asking!!"

Good Samaritan only applies if they are unconscious, IIRC.

WarPhalange
7th June 08, 11:06 PM
Good Samaritan only applies if they are unconscious, IIRC.

I'll make sure to remember that.

bob
7th June 08, 11:10 PM
I don't know what you do, but I was under the impression that in the US there was a "good Samaritan" law in place already.

I'm a physio, but I've done a lot of on-field work in football games so I'm expected to know how to move a person with a head/neck injury. The law here says that you are not liable if you act according to your level of training. I'm not sure how that would get interpreted but I'm sure being a health professional would make you more likely to get sued, not less.

WarPhalange
8th June 08, 12:05 AM
"He was a Level 9 Physical Therapist but he only used his Level 4 skills! I demand retribution!!!"

Wounded Ronin
8th June 08, 12:08 AM
I think that in an urban area people feel that they don't want to get involved. They are often so busy and so stressed out that they feel like they just want to hurry along and pretend it didn't happen. Just my two cents from having grown up in New York City.

Actually, now that I'm living in Las Vegas, and after my time in the Peace Corps, I feel like I'm able to look back on the NYC years with a bit more perspective. NYC has got a lot of really wonderful things going for it but on the whole I think I prefer to live in Las Vegas because (at least at this time) the human relations are so much better.

bob
8th June 08, 12:10 AM
If only Tom Cruise hadda bin there. He would have got involved.

WarPhalange
8th June 08, 12:10 AM
Addicted gamblers tend to be a lot nicer people, I find.

socratic
8th June 08, 02:56 AM

I was once told (as a shop clerk) what the rules were in case of evacuation. You tell them twice, "Sir/Ma'am, there's a fire, we are EVACUATING the store. Please LEAVE." and if they don't, you leave them.

I believe I was told that as a civilian, there was a Good Samaritan law in place for us Aussies, but the US didn't, or something like that. Maybe I'm misrepresenting what the guy said, but basically I was told we probably wouldn't get in shit even if you ended up crippling someone to save them from a fire or something.

Addicted gamblers tend to be a lot nicer people, I find.

Must be because they're entirely reliant on the goodwill of others.

Shawarma
8th June 08, 09:41 AM
Awesome.

"Oh shit, the building caught fire! Quick, Imma throw you out the window to safety!"
"But we're on the sixth floor and the stairs are right theAAAAAAAAA*splat*"

Kein Haar
9th June 08, 08:18 AM
I do believe that one nucka was taking pictures with his camera phone.

If only there were more hot school breakfasts and community centers...

Robot Jesus
11th June 08, 04:44 PM
I'm in a hurry so I'm going to ironically dump this article in the middle of the road, swerve around it without reading it and go about my business.

WarPhalange
11th June 08, 04:50 PM
Mighty fine article. Shame it's not there.

HappyOldGuy
11th June 08, 05:30 PM
An old guy fell down in the middle of the street near my house. My GF called me and I ran out to make sure he was okay/help him out. By the time I made it across the street, three cars had already pulled over to help.

The folks in that video are cancer, not representative.

Zendetta
11th June 08, 05:33 PM
Loaded Question: What neighborhood do you live in, HOG?

HappyOldGuy
11th June 08, 05:35 PM
Loaded Question: What neighborhood do you live in, HOG?

West Berkeley

Neildo
11th June 08, 05:51 PM
damn that looked like it came right outta GTA4. both those drivers crossed the double solid, and the guy that hit him didn't even slow down.

Robot Jesus
11th June 08, 07:32 PM
Mighty fine article. Shame it's not there.

oops I sofa king we todd did
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Good_Samaritan_law#In_the_United_States

Steve
12th June 08, 12:30 AM
damn that looked like it came right outta GTA4. both those drivers crossed the double solid, and the guy that hit him didn't even slow down.

It was an obvious car chase (or escape of two cars) that nailed the guy. Yep, GTA4 style.

Arhetton
12th June 08, 01:24 AM
I would have helped, but I couldn't find a telephone booth at the time.

There are two big assholes in that clip, everyone else I can understand. The car that pulled over at the time (opposite lane), then left to drive up the street, and the car who saw the accident in front of him (same lane), then reversed, turned around and left to go the other way.

Everyone else I forgive, because I know that when there are a lot of other people around (on the side of the street, or in cars), you expect that they will do something to help, rather than you yourself having to help. Psychological experiments of this have been observed. You are less likely to help someone if there is a crowd or others around.

I've felt this feeling once when I was at a train station and a small child fell down in between the train and the rails (the train had stopped), the mother was crying and screaming etc, and there were two people helping her, maybe four people looking over their shoulders from behind and looking concerned and everyone else was standing around, calm as can be (except the train guards). Even me! I was really surprised at my mental/emotional state through the whole thing, complete calm. I thought I would make a pretty shitty superhero. Particularly because I'm pretty tall and could have easily reached down to pull out the child but I didn't help.

I'd often wondered if I'd have what it takes to help someone in an emergency. The other night at work I was packing up after we closed on the wharf (late at night), and I heard a woman scream for help - I didn't even think about it, but I found myself on the wharf in about 2 seconds - luckily she was just joking around with her boyfriend and when they saw me they apologized and were laughing. Later I was thinking about it, I didn't really do anything, and I could have gotten seriously hurt if something was happening (robbery, rape) and the guy was armed. I did have a radio for security and I only thought of that when I was standing on the wharf looking like an idiot.

Another time I was walking home late and saw this guy getting seriously beaten by about 6 other people (like kicked when on the ground etc) - amazingly a group of girls came out of a conveniance store and broke the whole thing up.

I think we're a bundle of instinct, selfishness and social custom all rolled into one.

socratic
15th June 08, 02:55 AM
As cowardly as it sounds, physically throwing yourself into a 6 vs 1 fight, making it a 6 vs 2 , is total suicide. It's pretty much about as bad as a six vs 1 fight, since the numbers still stack up so much you pretty much can't win.

As for the woman screaming for help, that sounds seriously weird. Good thing you did the right thing, though, dude. You weren't the one looking like the idiot- they were. If she really was being raped or hurt or something, I think everyone would much prefer you come running then go "Huh. Maybe it's a cry-wolf. Uh, should I go? Hmmm. Hmmmm. Naaah."

You work at night at a warf? Do you get a Baton +2 vs Skulls or something? Or is it just you radio for help?

Arhetton
15th June 08, 07:56 AM
Nah its a restaurant on a wharf. I have a radio for security if I need help or a manager or something.