PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Driver plows into bike race.

Sirc
6th June 08, 03:01 AM
A car driven by an alleged drunken driver plowed into a bicycle race along a highway near the U.S.-Mexico border Sunday, killing one cyclist and injuring 10 others.

Juan Campos was apparently drunk and had fallen asleep at the wheel before crashing into the race in Monterrey, Mexico, police investigator Jose Alfredo Rodriguez said.

A photograph taken by a city official shows the horrifying moment of impact. The force of the collision sent bicyclists and equipment high into the air and Matamoros newspaper El Maņana described children crying, women shouting for help and men trying to lynch Campos before police arrived to arrest him.

Killed in the crash was Alejandro Alvarez, 37, of Monterrey.

Campos told police he was an American citizen from Brownsville, Texas. The U.S. consulate could not immediately confirm that.

"We are looking into the incident in terms of whether American citizens were involved,'' consulate spokesman Todd Huizinga told the Associated Press.

The crash happened 15 minutes into the race along a highway between Playa Bagdad and Matamoros, authorities said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,362147,00.html

Look how Fox News conveniently crops the police car out:

Fox News pic:
http://www.foxnews.com/images/376070/0_61_060308_CarCyclists.jpg

Real Pic:
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk179/king6621/3stars.jpg

So that's pretty awesome. From what I understand the police officer swerved out of the way of the car and pretty much let him hit the bikers. Yay!

socratic
6th June 08, 04:32 AM
In the top left- that's someone's helmet being ejected from their head. That's how hard they got hit.

I have a soft-spot for cyclists because I actually like my bike, and sometimes ride on roads. It's fucking scary having 2 tons of steel hurtle less than a metre away at a good 80+ kilometres an hour. And this is exactly why- because in the event of a collision, the guy with the car is alright, while you'll be hit so hard your helmet will come off and you'll probably bleed out or die from internal injuries long before anyone could help you.

And the fucker probably kept driving, too.

Sirc
6th June 08, 04:36 AM
Those stupid drunk bikers hit a parked car.

Yiktin Voxbane
6th June 08, 04:44 AM
I believe the driver was both drunk and asleep @ the wheel .

socratic
6th June 08, 06:19 AM
I believe the driver was both drunk and asleep @ the wheel .

They should lynch him twice, then!

Kein Haar
6th June 08, 08:26 AM
I have a boner for how much win that picture has.

Arhetton
6th June 08, 08:58 AM
you know I think I saw this three days ago. In internet time thats approximately 10 years!

Fearless Ukemi
6th June 08, 10:43 AM
In the top left- that's someone's helmet being ejected from their head. That's how hard they got hit.

I was in a car where the driver pulled out into oncoming traffic. Car crash impact is no joke. I was wearing a metal watch which broke and flew off my wrist from the impact.

you know I think I saw this three days ago. In internet time thats approximately 10 years!

It's a few days old, but still hasn't been posted here.

Arhetton
6th June 08, 10:47 AM
yeah and its a pretty amazing picture

Odacon
6th June 08, 11:10 AM
Some idiot ignored me and ploughed into me at last year, I wasn't wearing a helmet but I landed on my feet which was awesome. picked this up though:

Zendetta
6th June 08, 12:02 PM
I have a boner for how much win that picture has.

After a friend emailed that photo to all my peeps, we coined the term "Mexican Bike Race" to describe a catastrophic clusterfuck of epic proportions.

SuperGuido
6th June 08, 02:36 PM
This is terrible.

But...

...few things are as horrid as a flock of neon colored, spandex wearing middle aged men riding in the middle of a two lane road regardless of traffic conditions.

nihilist
6th June 08, 02:49 PM
I once saw a road worker get struck by a motorist who sped through the detour signs. The thud was sickening and the guy was thrown a good 30ft.

socratic
6th June 08, 06:18 PM
This is terrible.

But...

...few things are as horrid as a flock of neon colored, spandex wearing middle aged men riding in the middle of a two lane road regardless of traffic conditions.

At least butthurt cyclists don't go around running down automobile drivers, either.

Did everyone hear about the huge cyclist accident that happened a little while ago in Sydney? A butthurt, probably drunk, driver, pulled into a packed bikelane in front of several (some Olympic-grade!) cyclists and stopped his car. I can't remember if anyone was killed, but there was some serious top-notch Cyclists who got horribly injured due to that event. I wouldn't be surprised if Australia's Beijing cycling team is a little sparse thanks to that fucker.

Phrost
6th June 08, 06:20 PM
This should be in the DMV.

Especially since I was going to post it there and got distracted.