PDA

View Full Version : Yo Sarcastro, I got tri-tip

Neildo
25th May 08, 01:45 AM
I found tri-tip at the grocery store. i remember a thread in which you espoused the greatness that is tri-tip and also showed a nice technique for broiling steaks. I can't find that thread, so I'm starting a new one.

http://neildato.googlepages.com/DSC00268.JPG

Damn, this tri-tip is awesome. I just put it in my iron frying pan dry, under the broiler for 7 minutes per side so it comes out medium well. still nice and juicy.

http://neildato.googlepages.com/DSC00269.JPG

Sirc
25th May 08, 02:03 AM
What you should really do is either pan sear it OR grill it.

It's awesome. Marinate it for several hours and then baste it with some good BBQ sauce and grill.

*drool*

Neildo
25th May 08, 02:20 AM
I'm planning to try my marinade in a day or two. Unfortunately, broiling is really the best way i can make steak with what i have available. i haven't been able to pan sear a steak and still have it cooked through like i prefer and not be a piece of leather, nor do i have a bbq for grilling. i should get one though.

Kein Haar
25th May 08, 07:08 AM
Neildo,

After years of dicking around, there's only one way to cook steak indoors. Screw broiling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VjmHaCJUSA

Take note of his emphasis on pan heat.

You can also finish it in a pre-heated oven, if you prefer less moo-ing.

jubei33
25th May 08, 03:46 PM
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Kein Haar again.

nice protip.

_____

If its just you, you could get some charcoal and little hibachi that works as well. brother HArr is correct about the pan heat. if you cook too long the steak turns to boot leather. wait until the oil start to smoke a bit then go. Any rate, Your tri tip looks tasty.

Cullion
25th May 08, 04:30 PM
If you guys are open to british chefs you ought to learn about Keith Floyd. He's the master. A bit of lush, but he's actually a master because he's a bit of a lush.

I can't find it on youtube, but his take on how to barbecue a steak Texan style have (along with many of his other dishes) been tested by yours truly, and they were magnificient.

Neildo
20th April 10, 02:16 AM
move thread to nom nom nom plzkthxbye

Neildo
20th April 10, 09:57 AM
just one. you can guess which.

Feryk
20th April 10, 11:46 AM
just one. you can guess which.

NoB was hoping you'd have one left over...

Kiko
20th April 10, 11:53 AM
move thread to nom nom nom plzkthxbye

Your wish is my command!
*blinks with palms together*

HappyOldGuy
20th April 10, 02:12 PM
Neildo,

After years of dicking around, there's only one way to cook steak indoors. Screw broiling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VjmHaCJUSA

Take note of his emphasis on pan heat.

You can also finish it in a pre-heated oven, if you prefer less moo-ing.

Your linkie no work, but I assume this is the "preheat the fuck out of the pan, sear the meat, and then back in the blistering hot oven just long enough for it to stop quivering" method.

Kein Haar
20th April 10, 02:43 PM
Close, but no.

Salt and pepper it.

Heat the ever-loving crap out of pan, yes.

Sear in peanut-oil, or some other hard-core oil.

But, reduce heat toward the end, toss in garlic, rosemary (thyme is ok), and let it all infuse with butter.

Don't bother with the oven. Just make yourself a thin enough cut that you can achieve the wellness you want. Obviously, a ribeye roast makes that part easier, unless you're awesome and have a bandsaw to make your own t-bones and stuff.

Pro-tip from Gordon Ramsey. ^

Now, he went on to slice that shit and put it over a salad. For me, that was a little too avant-garde.

Cullion
20th April 10, 03:37 PM
I prefer my steak served as a nice slab I cut myself, but I do like it served with a good salad on the side (no cheese or creamy sauces, just fresh crunchy vegetables and some kind of olive oil & vinegar dressing).

Feryk
20th April 10, 04:10 PM
I prefer my steak served as a nice slab I cut myself, but I do like it served with a good salad on the side (no cheese or creamy sauces, just fresh crunchy vegetables and some kind of olive oil & vinegar dressing).

I heard beef prices were extraordinarily high in Britain. How much would it cost you to make that meal?

Cullion
20th April 10, 05:18 PM
A quick search shows me Irish rib-eye steak is currently 14.89 / Kg

http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/sainsburys-price-comparison/Fresh_Meat/Sainsburys_Rib_Eye_Steaks_2_per_pack_Approx_1Kg.ht ml

I could pay more if I wanted aged on the bone, grass-fed organic beef, but it wouldn't have to be a lot more if I went straight to a traditional family-run butcher or an online farm outlet.

If I want steak for lunch I can get a half-pound of reasonable quailty rare rump steak with a large side-salad for 5.95 at the hotel next to where I work.

I don't know how that compares to where you live.

Neildo
20th April 10, 05:31 PM
the tri-tip isn't a very common cut, but i can still get about half a pound for around 8-10 bucks (at the goddamn safeway, i'm not even going to a proper butcher. i haven't seen it at any other grocery store though) i'm not sure what GBP to CAD is but it was almost 2.5 once upon a time.

Cullion
20th April 10, 05:37 PM
Google says

10 Canadian dollars = 6.51936219 British pounds

and

half (1 pound) = 0.226796185 kilograms

So your tri-tip is about 29 per kg.

I'm not familiar with the tri-tip cut though.

Zendetta
20th April 10, 05:54 PM
Sunday night dinner for me and my gal:
Ribeye Steaks, rubbed with cajun seasoning and grilled to perfection and topped with caramelized onions, served on a bed of swiss chard

Huge sweet potato/yam, baked and covered with butter and some salt

Steamed organic brocoli

Salad with homemade lemon vinaigrette

It was fuckin' awesome.

Phrost
20th April 10, 07:51 PM
Neildo de-friended me on Facebook yesterday.

Steve
20th April 10, 08:40 PM
Actually, I think he nuked his account.

Neildo
21st April 10, 02:23 AM
i did indeed.

Phrost
21st April 10, 08:13 AM
How dare you not synergize with the collective. I demand to know about what you had for breakfast and what you think about Barack Obama's breakfast choices too.

Steve
21st April 10, 12:21 PM
She got pissed because of those few gifts you sent me? How petty of her.

Neildo
21st April 10, 12:43 PM
Can we get back to talking about steak?

So i've modified my broiling technique since the first post. I'm still not pan grilling gordon ramsay style, but I am pre-searing it before i chuck it under the broiler to finish it off. it makes quite a difference. havent been using a salt and pepper rub, but i made some lamb chops the other day employing the same method and a salt/pepper/cajun spice rub and they turned out quite well.

Feryk
21st April 10, 12:46 PM
I ditched my facebook after my ex-wife used it to spy on me and throw fits.

Only place I really post on the internet is here.

Well, lets give her the address then, I'm sure she'll have lots to say ;) :icon_slap:

As for steak, I prefer a simple sirloin, marinated for tenderness. Barbecue for 6 minutes per side, and it's perfect. Lower in fat than other cuts, too.

tao.jonez
30th April 10, 03:04 PM
T Bone is the best - you get the bone which imparts flavor, plus tenderloin and the fattier loin...it's everything!
All you need is salt and pepper and a thick cast iron skillet. Use the Nieldo method of searing then broiling and it's quite excellent.

Pro tip - make sure to rest the steak a few minutes (outside the pan) so that the protein can relax and the juices distribute properly. You'll want to stop the cooking just a bit short of your preferred doneness as there will be carry over cooking, particularly with the bone in cuts.

Easy/awesome steak sauce - take the hot pan you seared in and add sliced onion, mushrooms, garlic. Let those brown lightly then add red wine. Crank it up hot and reduce the liquid till it's very thick then remove from the heat. Now you add in chunks of room temp butter and swirl around making a thick brownish red sauce. Salt and pepper if you like.

I never tried facebook.

Zendetta
30th April 10, 09:16 PM
My girl bought us a couple of grass-fed filets mignon. I think I'll role 'em in black pepper and sea salt and grill 'em tomorrow night.

Suggestions for side dishes?

Cullion
30th April 10, 09:33 PM
A green salad with spring onions and shredded sweet red peppers and beetroot with french dressing.

Maybe a small portion of garlicky cous-cous dressed in olive oil.

Merlot.

SoulMechanic
30th April 10, 09:44 PM
^^ Fuck that noise. Make homemade mac n cheese with sour dough breadcrumbs and steamed asparagus with a red wine drizzle my nizzle. Then pee on your girlfriend 2-3 hours later. No need to thank me, really.

Zendetta
30th April 10, 09:53 PM
C: Good call. Salad is for certain, and she loves french dressing. She doesn't drink though. I'll probably drink one of my buddy's homebrews - I got some maple porter and some of his holiday ale.

SM: Gluten-free fail on the mac and cheese. High Five on the rest! W00T!!

What else have you fuckers got?

Cullion
30th April 10, 10:05 PM
A light but intense dark chocolate dessert could work.

Maybe a thin but fancy chocolate torte for 2 ?

I normally get my fancy deserts from a bakery, because I'm not good with pastry.

Neildo
1st May 10, 12:26 AM
i had tri-tip for breakfast today, with scrambled eggs and this awesome italian multigrain bread that i toasted and buttered. it was pretty decent.