PDA

View Full Version : I know Kung Fu... movies

Sun Wukong
15th May 08, 11:20 AM
Post your favorite Kung Fu movie clips.

My favorite Kung Fu movies of all time is Return to the 36th Chamber, aka Return of the Master Killer.

-mkAsPevxm8

Not necessarily the best kungfu, but definitely a great kungfu movie. Gordon Liu, FTW.

I wish I could post the entire thing so you at home can see how awesome it is in its entirety even if the last fight of the movie isn't that great. The first 3/4's of it make the movie.

boondock lee
15th May 08, 02:14 PM
M8PkZmlrVjs
Fight scene from OUATIC, wong fei hung vs iron vest yim.

Mr. Mantis
15th May 08, 02:16 PM
The Kid with the Golden Arm
Rz6PU_0YJg
Bells of Death
wqI3mMnufTc
Chinese Super Ninjas
WZGV_xOR0_I
Crippled Avengers
K1zvdEyBCbo

socratic
16th May 08, 03:17 AM
The Young Master
Early Jackie Chan ftw. Also, brutal (for the times, at least) fight at the end- Jackie gets the fuck pummelled out of him. This is part one of 11, the rest should be under 'related videos'.
NXJ5aHfcAYY
Fist of Legend
Yeah, it's a remake, but I really wanted to see some Jet Li JKD. Plus Jet Li giving Bruce Lee speeches is pretty funny, and the action is really cool. Don't ask me how you out-fight a Jiujitsuka on the ground, though.
KiNIucEKPm4

Steve
16th May 08, 04:24 AM
Damn, you beat me to Fist of Legend (remake of Bruce Lee's Chinese Connection).

EojH8lJqcno

Steve
16th May 08, 04:35 AM
In case you were wondering, Jet lost.

socratic
16th May 08, 05:07 AM
In case you were wondering, Jet lost.
I sorta disagreed with that. He had already injured his opponent by the time the throat-grab was deployed. But still, wicked fight.

Chen Zhen vs Ting An time!
HjOY2LhvOrw

Mr. Mantis
16th May 08, 09:42 AM
Yeah, it was a standoff, and the old man released first. Then Jet did because he didn't want to fight the guy in the first place. There was no winner to that fake movie fight!

kungfujew
16th May 08, 10:01 AM
The soundtrack in the US release version of fist of legend is way awesomer.

Zendetta
16th May 08, 04:07 PM
The Fighting Fists of Shanghai Joe.

Its like "Kung Fu" w/o Carradine: a mashup of Shaw Bros Chop Sockey blended with Italian Spaghetti Western. Hard to find, but awesome.

avenger
17th May 08, 05:47 PM
Some Wong Fei Hung and Last Hero of China

v=1Tm_akcNniQ (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Tm_akcNniQ)

v=fHi3izaoi_A&feature=related (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHi3izaoi_A&feature=related)

Sun Wukong
17th May 08, 05:48 PM
I'm so glad I started this thread. Kung Fu movies are awesome.

Sun Wukong
17th May 08, 06:59 PM
c6hw_1mfESA

Kid with the Golden Arm, reposted to fix a broken link.

Sun Wukong
17th May 08, 08:02 PM
OzoD19SVFtM

Sheer awesomeness. Kung-Pow: Enter the Fist

socratic
17th May 08, 10:46 PM
One of the things about the older Shaw-brothers style kung fu films is that the choreography is incredibly rythmic. It's very stylish. So, say in that first one that was posted, when the Shaolin guy is fighting all those dudes, you'll notice the attacks go 'attack-pause-attack-pause-attack-pause', with blocks occuring at the same time. It's something you'd never see in real life, since real combat obviously just doesn't have any real kind of choreography like that, but it's cool to watch anyways.

mrblackmagic
20th May 08, 04:57 AM
I liked the eponymously named Dirty Ho. A jewel thief was into an apprenticeship of a martial arts master. The kicker is he doesn't want the thief to know it. So the fight scenes all take place during every day events and with every day objects, but they were all done in secret so the choreography looks Marx Bros gags.

Er4PFK4WQ9g

Fist of the White Lotus. Most. Awesome. Villain. Ever

5:00

SnnYgn6tmag

Master of the Flying Guillotine. Muay Thai, yoga, decapitation (a lot of decapitation). What more could you ask?

RmdP1qTjGZY

socratic
21st May 08, 06:23 AM
^The One Armed Boxer is all kinds of awesome.

I know it's a bit new, but I really enjoyed Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon and I think despite its more artistic action, it really served the more pulpy side of martialism quite well on a number of occasions.

tfjWATP-Pfs

The dub is awful, but Li Mu Bai is fucking awesome, and spends most of the movie completely outclassing anyone who is stupid enough to fight him. Jade Fox is a bitch, though.
9OxQ-2gR1DU&NR=1

This is what happens when you fight someone who owns a lot of weapons. And it's awesome.

[yt7MJpDwJ8sEo&NR=1[/yt]

INDIAN KUNG FU! WITH CAMEO BY LITTLE SUPERSTAR!

Cullion
25th May 08, 09:02 AM
Stop making fun of my martial art guys.

RickTheCritic
25th May 08, 09:28 PM
NOt really kung fu but it deserves a spot in this thread....

E0wQhiptQBE

got to love the videogame soundtrack

Mr. Mantis
26th May 08, 11:26 PM
Shogun Assassin is one of the bloodiest martial arts movies I've ever seen. It's a great movie. I'll tell you what though, Chinese Superninjas is bloody and really creative. It's a Japanese vs. Chinese movie. One of the beloved themes. I also love the "Revenge"and "Fuck you Manchu dogs" themes just as well.

I prefer the old chop socky Shaw Brothers films over the new wire-fu movies.

socratic
27th May 08, 05:30 AM
Stop making fun of my martial art guys.
Out of curiousity, in your opinion, did they actually use any Tai Chi Chuan in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

They toss around the Wudang mountains a lot, and in the original novel I think that's the style Mu Bai learnt. Didn't really look like TCC to me, though.

mrblackmagic
27th May 08, 11:46 AM
Sword of Many Lovers starring Leon Lai was my favorite wire-fu movie. There was iceskating on mellon rinds, hilarious missuse of poisons, and a climatic fight battle inside a whirlwind.

Cullion
27th May 08, 04:15 PM
Out of curiousity, in your opinion, did they actually use any Tai Chi Chuan in Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon?

I remember an interview with the director saying he wanted Mu Bai to look like he'd done 'wudang' styles.

They toss around the Wudang mountains a lot, and in the original novel I think that's the style Mu Bai learnt. Didn't really look like TCC to me, though.

I think the choreographer took poses and moves out of 'internal style' (bagua, xing yi, tcc) forms (empty hand and weapons). I remember an interview with the director where he said he wanted Mu Bai to look like a 'wudang' master with a distinct flavour from the more usual Shaolin stuff.

As you'd expect, it's all massively stylised (as are the moves in forms).

Did it look like 'stylised TCC' ?

Maybe some of the sword moves look like stuff I've seen the form. If I'd wanted to make the unarmed stuff look more like 'stylised movie TCC', I'd have put a lot more big throws in, and less poking pressure points and kicking.

RickTheCritic
27th May 08, 10:42 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqHtL5Xfebc

1:51!!!!!!!!

Cmon Tarantino has to remake this

Riddeck
29th May 08, 01:00 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T6A5mdWPmDA

Yuen Biao is my favourite of the favourite martial art movie stars. He was part of the Jackie Chan/Sammo Hung/Yuen Biao Trifecta of movie actors. They did a ton of movies together.

This clip is the end fight scene from a movie (I had to import it 8 /) "Iceman Cometh" starring Biao and Maggie Cheung. Quality flick.

He has plenty of goods to offer, though he is not as famous as most.

Zendetta
29th May 08, 03:59 PM
I prefer the old chop socky Shaw Brothers films over the new wire-fu movies.

Orders of magnitude.

My favs: [Iron Fist and Five Fingers of Death.

socratic
1st June 08, 04:32 AM
Wasn't he in Kung Fu Hustle? Or just someone who looks like him at age 50?

Zendetta
1st June 08, 05:21 AM
Wing Chun with Michelle Leoh is great. As is Tai ji Master 1 and 2.

Circle of Iron is probably my favorite martial arts film. If only it had been directly blessed by St. Bruce.