PDA

View Full Version : A Odyssey of Whiskey

jubei33
13th May 08, 09:06 AM
An Odyssey of Whiskey

As much as the journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step, the journey of a thousand drinks ends in the can. Though I’ve not quite met the quota, I feel safe in my assumption that I’ve been around the corner, up the block and ended up not knowing where I slept last night on more than a few occasions. This thread is dedicated to all those who enjoy a good whiskey, but have been intimidated by the vast, angry sea of whiskey leaking into the lower cabins of their ship. Let’s man the pumps and buckets before this ship lists any further.

I’ll post the first five (of many) reviews today and update more as time permits.

1. Auchentoshan: 3 wood
This is a superb single malt that won’t bust your bank and is worth every penny. Smooth and well balanced, sweet and fruity with a spicy finish make this one one of my favorites. It has a sweet caramel flavor that melts into a warm, spicy finish with a healthy (pleasant) wood aftertaste.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/auchentoshan.jpg
2. Johnnie Walker: Green Label
I wasn’t impressed with most of the blends I tasted until this one. This is a blend of Talisker, Linkwood, Craggenmore and Caol Ila, two of which I’ve tried and are fairly good on their own. This one has a very spicy, but not overpowering taste that goes down smooth and ends like soft velvet. The whiskey’s flavor is centered around this nutty-woody flavor that’s really difficult to pin down and the other sweeter flavors push through at the end leaving a fantastic finish. Much like Frito-Lays famous tagline, its pretty hard not to finish a bottle of this whiskey.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/artofbeingdrunk.jpg
“Art of pure whiskey,” more like art of being fucking drunk.
3. Dalwhinnie: 15
Dalwhinnie tastes clean like mountain spring water should taste: clean and crisp with a sharp bite of heat at the end. The flame of the alcohol evaporates leaving this weird fruity finish. Very clean and worth buying twice.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/dalwhinnie.jpg
4. Suntory: The Old
This whisky (omitting the 'e' as is customary) is the basic Japanese whiskey sold in stores and bars all over Japan. Its price cannot be matched per quality. What it lacks in character and finish it makes up for in price. Its definitely worth the 1500 yen and lives up to the moniker: every day whisky. It is an above average whiskey, that strives to go no further, an underachiever if you will, but worth the effort taken.
http://www.suntory.com/about/news/2006/img/9355.jpg
5. Nikka: Masataka Taketsuru Special
This whiskey was made by the company of the first man to import and make whiskey in Japan. Nikka, in general, has a good reputation for making some of Japan's best whiskey (woah, holy shit a little earthquake, no joke). It has a clean, strong finish and has a woody complex taste that is unusual if you're used to Irish or American whiskey. This is a very good, tasty whisky.
http://www.whisky.fr/medias/images/produits/675x900/m630.jpg
(sorry wrong pciture, drank it too fast and it got pitched before I could snatch a shot, but this is a similar product.)

Olorin
13th May 08, 09:20 AM
I really like bourbon whiskey.

The brand I buy most often is Elijah Craig, but my other favorites are Woodford Reserve and Makers Mark.

jubei33
13th May 08, 09:39 AM
yeah elijah and makers mark are awesome, Iv'e got a bottle of blanton's I'm saving for later on. Also their more reasonable Eagle rare was fantastic.

I have a couple of american whiskeys half way done, but got to finish the writting part. ...hmm time for bed.

Sun Wukong
13th May 08, 09:43 AM
I just can't warm up to whiskey. I prefer nuetral spirits so I usually drink vodka or decent gin when I'm in the mood for liqour.

jubei33
13th May 08, 09:46 AM
before im off what have you tired? I was the same way with vodka, but there's always that one that changes your mind and opens that door.

Sun Wukong
13th May 08, 09:52 AM
My partner is a whiskey guy and he buys the better stuff. Bushnells and JW kind of stuff, and it just never did it for me. Of course I've had the cheaper stuff like Crown and Wild Turkey, etc. I just don't like drinking straight liqour unless it's a martini or black russian. I know, kind of softcore drinks compared to some, but I just can't get excited about the taste of whiskey.

EvilSteve
13th May 08, 10:22 AM
I love whiskey of all varieties, but particularly bourbon. Unfortunately I can't drink the stuff because when I was 14 I slugged about a liter of Jack Daniels mixed with sherry using a lemon juice chaser. I puked for 11 hours. 2 years later I guzzled the better part of a 1.75 liter bottle of Canadian Club. I don't remember a lot of what happened next.

So, every time I smell whiskey I have the odd experience of being nauseated by something I think smells delicious.

That being said, quick tip for turkey day - add bourbon and cream to your mashed sweet potatoes. It is teh aw3s0m3.

Olorin
13th May 08, 10:28 AM
Unfortunately I can't drink the stuff because when I was 14 I slugged...

Stop that! Sip don't chug.

but I just can't get excited about the taste of whiskey.

If you ever want to try again have a beer with a small glass of whiskey. Have a little beer then have a little whiskey.

Zendetta
13th May 08, 10:36 AM
I have a jug of Maker's in my cabinet big enough to pickle a small child in.

God that stuff is good. I've come to prefer it on the rocks, but its also great to put in the hipflask for the great outdoors.

Dark Helmet
13th May 08, 08:08 PM
Whats interesting is I have never( with the exception of the Green Label) seen these being sold here in Quebec.

jubei33
13th May 08, 11:06 PM
what, you mean all of them? or just the japanese ones? Japanese ones wouldn't surprise me, there's alot of public opinion to climb over before they have equal opinion to american or scotch. its all about perception for the most part.

Sun Wukong
14th May 08, 10:09 AM
I have a jug of Maker's in my cabinet big enough to pickle a small child in.

God that stuff is good. I've come to prefer it on the rocks, but its also great to put in the hipflask for the great outdoors.

Can't you get a drinking in public charge for drinking out of a flask in SF?

Zendetta
14th May 08, 11:56 AM
Probably.

SF is the kind of place where its permissable to walk around in leather chaps with your junk hanging out, but they try to make handgun ownership illegal.

What I'm talking about is taking a nip while out on a hike in one of our many beautiful, highly accessible regional parks. Or sitting around a campfire up in the backcountry of Yosemite or whatnot.

Steve
14th May 08, 01:32 PM
2. Johnnie Walker: Green Label
I wasn’t impressed with most of the blends I tasted until this one. This is a blend of Talisker, Linkwood, Craggenmore and Caol Ila, two of which I’ve tried and are fairly good on their own. This one has a very spicy, but not overpowering taste that goes down smooth and ends like soft velvet. The whiskey’s flavor is centered around this nutty-woody flavor that’s really difficult to pin down and the other sweeter flavors push through at the end leaving a fantastic finish. Much like Frito-Lays famous tagline, its pretty hard not to finish a bottle of this whiskey.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/artofbeingdrunk.jpg
“Art of pure whiskey,” more like art of being fucking drunk.

I love the picture that goes with the Green Label. Do you switch to the "no dribble" cup after you've gotten a good way into the bottle? LOL

jubei33
14th May 08, 03:51 PM
I glad you noticed. Thats part of the technique of being a professional alcohol connoisseur. Spillage usually recieves a stern talking to and a spanking. I don't mind the spanking as much as i dislike those long lectures, dreadful!

Dark Helmet
14th May 08, 05:27 PM
what, you mean all of them? or just the japanese ones? Japanese ones wouldn't surprise me, there's alot of public opinion to climb over before they have equal opinion to american or scotch. its all about perception for the most part.

I took a closer look on this site (http://www.saq.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/GeneralContentView?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&page=%2fnh%2fHome).
Apart from the Green Label the only other is Dalwhinnie 15 ans Highland scotch single malt (http://www.saq.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-2&productId=57289&parent_category_rn=&shouldCachePage=)

jubei33
15th May 08, 12:49 AM
I typed scotch (vs. whiskey) and got a ton of hits on that page (http://www.saq.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&pageSize=10&beginIndex=0&resultCatEntryType=2&searchType=100&tri=RechercheUCIProdDescAttributeInfo&sensTri=AscOperator&viewTaskName=SAQCatalogSearchResultView&searchTerm=scotch)
oh wait, that doesn't mean they stock it, does it? That's bizzare, maybe you should find a better store. A big city like Quebec should have a good shop somewhere, or maybe ask them to order you something? They stock glenrothe's (from my other thread), which is fantastic imo.

the next set of reviews are lagavulin 16, eagle rare, glenkinchie 10 and glenfiddich, i think.

oh and by convention, they spell japanese whiskey as whisky. Apparently, japanese products didn't warrant the correct spelling or something.

Equipoise
15th May 08, 02:13 PM
I just can't warm up to whiskey. .

Same here. To me it tastes too much like paint thinner to get any real enjoyment out of it or be able to discern any specific flavours to it.

It seems like most wines that I come across these days have the same quality. I don't know what happened to the wine market, but it's been flooded with expensive and unpalatable crap.

jubei33
15th May 08, 06:47 PM
same as above, what do you like and what have you tried?

Equipoise
15th May 08, 09:07 PM
Johnny Walker, Glen Fidditch and a few others. I'd have to be sat down with someone with a lot of Whiskey and try them....ie get blasted. However after the day I had today, I'd be willing to imbibe Boone's Farm to drown out my consciousness.

jubei33
15th May 08, 10:34 PM
Desparate enough for say: blue hawaiian? That would set the stakes on bad day pretty high, I think.

and definitely, drinking alone is boring.

Equipoise
16th May 08, 12:08 PM
I'd rather sleep than drink excessively. Healthier and at least I can lose consciousness without risking death.

Kein Haar
16th May 08, 07:07 PM
drinking alone is boring.

Not true. But true enough for POSTIVE REP.

jubei33
17th May 08, 03:20 AM
I'd rather sleep than drink excessively. Healthier and at least I can lose consciousness without risking death.
You're not really living unless you risk death EVERY TIME YOU CLOSE YOUR EYES!

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/CrazyEyesSupermancheers.jpg

Not true. But true enough for POSTIVE REP.

As always, I like cookies

jubei33
17th May 08, 04:05 AM
Lagavulin 16:
Don’t take my word for it, but there are a lot of people who swear by this whiskey. It had a super smokey peat flavor that was hard to drink in my opinion. From the minute you open the bottle you are assaulted with the rich odor of embalming fluid. As anyone who has taken gross anatomy can sympathize, the smell for me was just too much and reminded me of the dissection to isolate the abductor digiti minimi (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abductor_digiti_quinti_muscle_%28foot%29) (it’s in your foot). I’m seriously thinking of using some of this for a Tollen’s test (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tollens%27_reagent), a traditional method for determination of aldehyde containing compounds. I couldn’t get into this one at all, but like I said a lot of people appreciate its strong peaty goodness, so the best bet is to try it at a bar or a good friend’s place before you go and buy a bottle. Cullion, I have a present for you (slightly used, don’t worry: no backwash).

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/stinkypeat.jpg

Eagle Rare 10:
I bought this one for a present for someone else, but ended up (much like a bird of prey) drinking most of it myself. Straight from Kentucky’s Buffalo Trace Distillery, this bourbon was light and woody, but at the same time velvety as it goes down leaving you with a volcano of heat in your chest. There were hints of nut flavors and some unusual fruit accents that balanced the whiskey making it very enjoyable overall and easy to drink. When talking about American whiskey its troublesome that the first names that come to mind for most are Jim and Jack, especially when there are good products like this out there. Though a different than a lot of scotches out there, this ranks as high up as a Glenfiddlich or a Dalwhinnie perhaps. Very good stuff.

http://www.pascaleswines.com/images/products/fullsize/1105--Eagle_Rare.jpg

The Macallan 12: fine oak
I'm told this is the whiskey preferred by the cast of the Gilmore Girls, not that I'd know, uh, myself or anything. Macallan makes some of the finest whiskey out there and this product, though lesser known, is just as good and well worth a shot or three. Between me and my brother in law, this bottle did not last the night. This looks great with its light caramel color and light oak flavors in your glass. It has nice accents of vanilla and nuts as well as a spicy fruit finish in the nose. Superb is probably a good word to describe it. This one is somewhat pricey, but well worth it and as an added bonus you can talk at parties like its not mostly subjective with your liquor snob friends. :)

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/thisisnotmacallan.jpg
this is not Macallan, this is soy sauce, but is a testament to the craftsmanship of this whiskey that we kept the bottle around. (Even grandma liked it and found a use for it)

Equipoise
17th May 08, 09:57 AM
As mentioned in another thread, I had my first drinks ever at age 32. I cannot understand how people can stand straight tequila, whiskey, gin, or bourbon. They all tasted very much like chemicals and I had some expensive stuff.

Vodka was ok, but I really only liked the girly mixed drinks: vodka, apple sour, and sprite. Yum. Margaritas were good as well.

Havent found a beer I like either. Woe is me. I feel so unmasculine.

Well hard liquor is for alcoholics and college students. Both are trying to alter reality to something they can control in the hopes of finding happiness in another alcoholic or college student's arms.

I stick to Tom Collins, Capirinha and Mojitos. I'll do fru fru drinks when I want something different.

All beer is bad.

jubei33
17th May 08, 03:30 PM
Well hard liquor is for alcoholics and college students. Both are trying to alter reality to something they can control in the hopes of finding happiness in another alcoholic or college student's arms.

I stick to Tom Collins, Capirinha and Mojitos. I'll do fru fru drinks when I want something different.

All beer is bad.

oh yeah? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epa5YZIJU8I) watch this, its simply fascinating.

Equipoise
18th May 08, 05:25 PM
I agree to all of this. I will have to try those mixed drinks you've mentioned - anything with lime and carbonation sounds good.

I like making Mojitos with Coconut rum versus regular. It adds more flavour to it. Finding a good Capirinha or good Cachaca for that matter is a bit difficult unless you know some Brazilians.

Neildo
19th May 08, 03:02 AM

so should we start calling you alkypoise? and what's wrong with beer? an ice cold beer goes very well with a glass of whisky.

EvilSteve
19th May 08, 08:19 AM
All beer is bad.

As someone who used to brew his own, that sounds like the words of someone who has been cruelly deprived of good beer. MOST beer is bad. But even aside from Belgian and Scotch ales (both of which tend to be quite good), American brewers Weyerbacher and Dogfish Head both produce excellent brews worth trying. And to tie this back to the OP, Weyerbacher Insanity and Prophecy are fermented in whiskey casks so they absorb the flavor of the liquor. Worth trying for anyone who hasn't yet.

And of course there's also Lindeman's lambics which taste like soda pop, although frankly they're about as alcoholic.

jubei33
19th May 08, 03:30 PM
homerew/microbrew is something I miss quite a bit here in Japan. Most of the beer here is the same just slight variations of pilsner and lager, but to be fair they are starting experimental markets for stouts, which seem to be catching on. They aslo have quite a few micros here but, its like 6-8$ on ave per bottle, because of taxes and the like. We have some nice stuff thats good called becken-miyoshi (http://www.miyoshi-becken.co.jp/) which comes in 4 kinds, but I thought the dunkel was the best of the three, pilsner and wheat were good too.

I haven't tried weyerbacher yet, but thats going on the list for this summer vacation.

EvilSteve
19th May 08, 03:36 PM
FYI-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weyerbacher

I'm a fan of big beers, just to give you a point of reference. If you are as well, you may also like Dogfish Head 120 Minute IPA (not the 30, 60 or 90). I don't like IPAs, but this one is different... and it's 20% ABV.

jubei33
19th May 08, 06:41 PM
what do you think of stone's product line? I liked their arrgoant bastard line and some of thier other stuff too.

Zendetta
19th May 08, 06:55 PM
I took a bottle of Arrogant Bastard on a hike recently. Yeah, it was awesome.

jubei33
28th June 08, 09:53 PM
Update 3:

Sorry about letting this one dangle for a bit, I had a match I was working for and I'm 'not allowed' to peruse the liquor cabinet. But, at any rate, the long awaited: son of whiskey thread.

Ballantine's 21:

Ballantine's has a light oak flavor, with a slightly sweet finish probably coming from this neat, but faint honey smell. It will warm you up with a blast of long lasting heat, that warms your core. Between the oak and honey I thought the flavor was somewhat two dimensional. Over time, those flavors seem to evaporate and the tongue becomes denatured and feels a numbed astringent quality. As expensive as this one is I expected more, but that's not to say it was bad, just probably not worth the price or the substantial reputation it receives. Who knows, though, maybe I just missed the point and you'll love it. Check it out in a bar first.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/ballantines.jpg

Outlaw Kentucky Bourbon 8

I bought this one for 10$ on impulse just because of the sweet wanted poster on it. I guess John Wesley Hardin is a handsome fella, who made all the ladies swoon, or not? At any rate, I was surprised by this one and it was pretty decent. Much better than the ubiquitous Suntory the old I thought. The smell is very woody in standard character of a lot of bourbon's out there. Oak comes through the strongest, with some fruity accents and a slight coconutty flavor. Quite strange. The alcohol is not overpowering and goes down smooth leaving that nutty flavor around in the nose. Well worth 10 $, plus you get the added coolness factor of drinking "vicious murderer whiskey." Strap on your six shooter Wes, let's go rustle some horses.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/coldbloodedkiller.jpg

Yamazaki 10

Another good, cheap Japanese whiskey. Its older brothers are better, but this one fits well into a budget and still gives you a complex, interesting flavor to enjoy. It has a really nice color of light honey and the smell to match, like fermented honey. The flavor is fruity with smells of orange and honey and a slightly spicy wood flavor finish. Its very mellow and smooth without a 'drinker's grimace' making it an enjoyable drink overall.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/yamazaki10.jpg

Auchentoshan 10

I liked the three wood much better than this one, but this one is still ranks fairly high on the list. As with most 'red labels' it seems they're shooting for the label of regular or ordinary, but this one is definitely above the likes of JW red label, in my opinion. Maybe this was worked as a 'regular for people who like Auchentoshan brand whiskey' perhaps. The company is famous for its triple distilling process, which yields mild, mellow whiskeys. The flavor is oaky and spicy at the beginning and ending with a long fruity sweetness that sticks around. Definitely worth it to check this one out, but if its your first time with this brand spend the extra 15 bucks to check out the three wood.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/auchentoshan10.jpg

Toby Christensen
29th June 08, 01:42 AM
On the subject of drinks:

Absinthe as a base
Melon liquer
A clear, flavourless liquer to mix it to a light green (so not gin or Bacardi for example)

Mix until light yet opaque then serve in a cocktail glass.

I invented that, then drank about four. Whole hours are gone from that day.

Cullion
30th June 08, 08:03 PM
I'm sorry, but what the fuck is going on in this thread?

'Green Label' ? fuck off.

'Chris Ketchens: I don't get on with whiskey, I prefer neutral spirits like gin'.

Firstly, you have to make the effort to appreciate the whiskey. It won't call you tomorrow. It doesn't care how you feel about it. Wipe away the tears and try harder.

Secondly. If you think Gin is a neutral spirit, you've been drinking the wrong brands or mixing it with something unethical.

I have a lot of work to do here. This is just a start.

Cullion
30th June 08, 08:04 PM
That 'cold blooded killer' corn liquor looks like it's only good for breaking over a dude's head. Put it away.

Cullion
30th June 08, 08:07 PM
I like making Mojitos with Coconut rum versus regular. It adds more flavour to it. Finding a good Capirinha or good Cachaca for that matter is a bit difficult unless you know some Brazilians.

Your ass looks big in that dress.

jubei33
30th June 08, 10:35 PM
'Green Label' ? fuck off.

not blue label?

It's a blend?

or something else?

its more fun if you justify your opinion.

EvilSteve
29th July 08, 12:52 PM
Opinion question- I don't drink whiskey because I've gotten too sick on it too many times, and now it just makes me gag. However, I'm in the process of stocking my new bar and would like to keep at least one good bottle around for my friends that do drink the stuff. I went with a 10 year single malt, but I'm wondering now if it's worth getting some bourbon too (probably Knob Creek) - so for you whiskey drinkers out there, are you all equally happy with bourbon or scotch, or do you have a defined preference?

EuropIan
29th July 08, 01:10 PM
bourbon =/= scotch I would ask your friends on what they prefer.

Also, getting drunk on whiskey is supposed a slow burn..A liquor for brooding, if you will.

NOB..I'm glad you liked sake (there may be hope for you yet). what exactly did you have?

jubei33
29th July 08, 07:50 PM
Opinion question- I don't drink whiskey because I've gotten too sick on it too many times, and now it just makes me gag. However, I'm in the process of stocking my new bar and would like to keep at least one good bottle around for my friends that do drink the stuff. I went with a 10 year single malt, but I'm wondering now if it's worth getting some bourbon too (probably Knob Creek) - so for you whiskey drinkers out there, are you all equally happy with bourbon or scotch, or do you have a defined preference?

Well as mentioned earlier eagle rare and blanton's (stuff from buffalo trace distillery) are pretty good. I'm drinking elijah craig now and think its fairly good. I'll write it up later on with the next update. I'm on vacation now so I bum internet to check email and stuff.

I should do a sake thread, but not many people have access to the selection I do, being that they really don't export as much as they could. I'll leave that up to you guys, if you want to hear it...They have their test markets overseas, but I think they just don't do a good job of promoting it as well as they could. Sake is really hurting in Japan, so much that they tax beer disproportionately (that and its a honeypot).

Glad you liked the sake. The companies are also experimenting with carbonated versions of sake, which have been 60-40 good-bad in my experience. They have to get the flavor to work just right or it tastes funny. much like wine, they also have different flavors and tastes to them. Jumai or ginjo are the best of them determined by how much of the rice husk is pollished away. They also have a kind where they leave some of the rice starch in the bottle giving it a milky consistency (forgot the name-find later) and its quite nice. I drank a ton of this kind with my in laws and loved it, very mild and semi sweet 15% alc.

Zendetta
30th July 08, 05:10 PM
However, I'm in the process of stocking my new bar and would like to keep at least one good bottle around ...

Maker's Mark.

jubei33
12th October 08, 09:55 AM
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/toughlineup.jpg

Got two whiskeys that you might want to try if you're feeling brave in these trying economic times. Perhaps spend it before you lose it should be the motto for this update. Also, a special guest shochu, which is an Asian distilled liquor often mistakenly compared to whiskey.

The Macallan 12 Gran Reserva:

Macallan makes some very fine whiskeys. This is the more expensive brother of the ordinary 12 year I reviewed earlier. Very similar products, but this one's wood character is more apparent. It's warmer, darker color accents the walnut/oak-esque flavors. Spicy flavors melt into a sweet fruity smell in the nose, which sticks around as the alcohol evaporates. Some of my Japanese friends liked this with dark chocolate, which is the fad right now. Pick one up for 60-70$ and drink it because I think you deserve it.

Talisker 10

Talisker is a lighter whiskey with a light and smokey peat finish. Not so much peat as Lagavulin, a peppery nose and very slight sweetness to it make it a nice fall/winter whiskey. The 45.8% alcohol content is also well hidden by the other flavors drifting out into the ether. This was a pretty good whiskey and worth the money, get one for 30-40$.

Shochu: The leaflet that should have been a primer...

Shochu is kind of like the Japanese whiskey, except it's not made the same way, from the same materials and tastes nothing like it (its also made all over Asia, particularly Korea). Though, the kanji mean firey spirits, so I guess thats close enough for some people.

In Japan, there are two, sometimes three kinds defined by the material it's made from. The two major types are made from rice and potatoes, while the more rare Okinawan kind is made from sugar cane. The alcohol content varies from 25-40%. Every region seems to have its own production, based on the local agriculture. The one above is from Miyazaki, which is in Kyushu.

A lot of shochus have a clean vodka-like flavor that lends them to easily make mixed drinks. The infamous chu-hi is an example of this. They even have a bunch of faux-beer products that are popular. I don't dig them at all; won't touch them, but I can't deny their market share. The stand alone shochu isn't bad, though and worth a try.

Kiko
12th October 08, 10:42 AM
Fall is whiskey season. Soon I'll get a nice bottle of scotch. Probably Bowmore. I like Islay.

jubei33
12th October 08, 06:12 PM
I've never tried bowmore, care to do a review?

I tried whiskey again. It is still terrible. I can't understand how people like it. It always tastes like paint thinner, even the expensive stuff. Vodka is the way to go. Sake is good too.

next month it'll be tequila and then maybe gin when you discover tonics are nice sometimes

Neildo
13th October 08, 02:49 AM
i <3 gin

billy sol hurok
30th October 13, 04:34 PM
Booze-zombie necro:

Just got acquainted with Lagavulin 16, and it turns out that I'm the market. Generally, my fancy scotch has tended to the Glen_, Mac_ or the occasional Oban. (Though sometimes I'm in the mood for a simple scotch on the rocks, which is where Dewar's comes in.)

But the complexity of Lagavulin really took me by surprise . . . and that was just lifting it up to my nose. (Perhaps because my frog-dissecting days are way farther in the past than yours?) And the way it expands in your mouth, getting smokier and smokier, was a revelation. More like cognac than whiskey: this stuff is downright chunky. After finishing the first dram I sat there sniffing at the empty goblet dazedly, the way a young man with a new girlfriend might absently smell his fingers.

Now after three different dosings, I've figured out that for me: (1) this is not an everytime scotch, it demands attention, (2) it pairs rather nicely with pistachios and (3) in colder weather, I'm going to try heating up the goblet beforehand as the bouquet falls off dramatically in a cooler room and a cold glass.

Bottom line: a new fave. It won't replace its thinner single-malt brethren, and it won't become a utility scotch. But I'm going to keep some around, yes indeed.

jubei33
30th October 13, 07:09 PM
Yeah, I totally agree with that assessment. It's a great one to have around and it just takes a lot of getting used to.

As far as snacks go, I find that most nuts go pretty well with whiskey. I have walnuts that I eat with some of the lighter ones. If you chew on them enough they have a nice sweet wood flavor that comes out. This is kind of the winter foods listing, but cheese is great too. I used to have some nice kinds of stinky blue that I'd eat.

I have a Yamazaki cask strength I got at the distillery that's been waiting for a special time to open it. It's coming up too, real soon.

Neildo
31st October 13, 12:06 AM
i got to try some Dalwhinnie 15 year old single malt. O M G

nihilist
31st October 13, 01:20 AM
As far as snacks go, I find that most nuts go pretty well with whiskey.
Why, just the other night, I was drinking whiskey and guess what ended up in my mouth?

nihilist
31st October 13, 01:24 AM
That was uncalled for and I apologize.

jubei33
31st October 13, 06:44 AM
That was uncalled for and I apologize.
:) I wont judge you.

Feryk
31st October 13, 01:11 PM
I think I have rediscovered my love for each and every one of you.

I love Scotch, and have found an excellent little Scotch bar:

http://thebothy.ca/

For the most part, I love the Speyside single malts - but I've been working my way through the list.

Not a fan of any vintage of Ardbeg. Blech. It has a more peaty-smoky flavor, it's very pale, and I actually found it to be thin on the tongue.

LOVE Glendronach 12 y/o.

I'm hoping to buy myself a glass of Glenfarclas 40 y/o for my birthday, just to try it.

Billy, I have to say I think we favor very similar tastes in Scotch. My short list has most of the same names. The Macallen 18 y/o is still my favorite.

jubei33
31st October 13, 02:48 PM
One of my friends brought me some of this place's (http://www.smallestwhiskybaronearth.com/) production. It's in switzerland. The owner imports his water from scotland somewhere, supposedly. I thought this one was pretty good, very firey with a good finish. kind of nutty and woody towards the end.

Feryk
1st November 13, 11:20 AM
Never heard of it before. I`ll have to see if we can get that here.

jubei33
1st November 13, 04:33 PM
If you find it, I hope you like it. I think its worth it.

Also, the craft beer biz seems to have developed an offshoot: People have been experimenting making their own whiskey, gin and vodka (etc). I tried this one from a Columbus distillery (http://middlewestspirits.com/), which I thought it was pretty good, even though it was kind of pricey.

Angry Mandrill
1st November 13, 05:27 PM
things i've had lately:

willet's pot still (bourbon)
dalmore 12 year (scotch)
jefferson's (bourbon)
1792 (bourbon)
laphroig (islay single malt)
glenmorangie (scotch)

the islays are too much. i like them once the smell saturates the sinuses, but they remind me of the time in my teens when i accidentally squirted a bunch of acetone in my mouth. my wife also says that the smell on my breath is unbearable. gave them up.

the dalmore is very soft and subtle. i like the glenmorangie better. it's a little more muscular.

willet's is a nice bourbon. on the drier side, kinda like blanton's but not as pricey. jeff's is good, but less kick than i like. 1792 is my current house brand when the wife gives me shit for spending too much on booze. otherwise house brand is woodford.

Feryk
4th November 13, 01:01 PM
If we ever find a way to get together for drinks, I'm buying.

It's nice to be able to have this discussion with people who know their Scotch.