PDA

View Full Version : Best recent Marvel Comics adaptation to film?

Stick
4th May 08, 07:03 PM
Pretty easy poll, really.

What say you?

Having seen all of these, I'm going to have to go with Iron Man, that movie is just pure gold. It may help that it was done by Marvel Studios rather than Fox or Paramount or any of the others: the first live action film by Marvel Studios, I think.

What's got me real excited is how allowing Marvel to retake control of all their properties from the various film giants opens up the ability to really ahve these films occur in the Marvel universe; Robert Downey Jr. shows up as Tony Stark in the upcoming Hulk flick, if you stick around for the end of the credits on Iron Man you KNOW what I'm not going to just write down, and there's a lot of buzz building around the idea that they may actually be able to put together a true Avengers flick, hopefully something heavily influenced by the Ultimatse- which I think is a really safe bet.

I also loved Daredevil, but apparently I'm the only one that did, and in spite of my love I can see why people wouldn't like it.

RaiNnyX4
4th May 08, 08:15 PM
I think like most people I was torn between X-Men 1 and 2, Spider-Man 1 and 2, and Ironman.

I just saw Ironman yesterday so it's the freshest one in my head. I'm still reeling from how awesome it was so it gets my vote. After that I'd have to say X2. The part where Wolverine goes through the house killing all of the soldiers had me going crazy when I saw it in the theaters.

Arhetton
4th May 08, 09:18 PM
Blade 1998. That movie was awesome and heavily inspired the matrix and gun-fu. For the very first marvel film, its time and its influence, that movie is a freaking cult classic. It wins.

lumping the spiderman films (and any series) together is unfair :(

The first spiderman was a total success, great adaptation and a box office hit, and in a way, opened the market to traditional comic book characters (ie, the bright wearing cheesy one liner variety). Every marvel release aside from blade 1998 has been since spiderman, and they literally go 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, a steady march of film adaptations (and failures).

After spiderman, many of these movies were attempts to capture the market with lesser known characters and were failures - Daredevil, Elektra, Ghost Rider, The Punisher. I view these with disdain, almost as cheap revenue makers - rushed into release to try to make money off the comic book genre.

The spiderman series is a tragic example of film studios pushing the upper (gay) limit of revenue snatching. I.e - pumping up the budget of each film, hyperboling the storyline, marketing and merchandising more etc. By the time they got to spiderman 3 it was fucked. The blade series is even worse.

I was surprised by how well Iron Man was done, I think that it has shown that comic book movies can still be fun and successful even for lesser known characters*. Lets pray to god that as a series it does not get as collosally greed raped by the film industry as some of the other series.

Correct me if I'm wrong but you're missing the fantastic four (1 or 2), although I think your poll is better for the lack of those movies haha.

Movies that should have never been made

Blade 2, 3
Spiderman 3
X-men 3
+ the shit ones (daredevil, elektra, ghost rider, F4).

I think marvel is capturing a target audience with its fun/comic style that is entirely different to fans of the DC character Batman (in the awesome batman begins reboot). I think BB captured a sort of gothic/grim style that needs to be done for characters that don't work in a fun/comic way - this style is entirely appropriate for many of marvels characters too, like daredevil, punisher, probably a modern take on captain america, wolverine etc.

*(outside of nerdsville people have probably only heard of superman, batman or spiderman and any other comic book character is WTFLOL?!1).

Daredevil was shit because they killed off elektra in the first movie, and bullseye/elektra were portrayed in a stupid way. King Pin was fine, daredevil himself was fine.

Anyway, how awesome is it that comic book characters are all being brought to life by film?

http://www.cracked.com/article_16176_8-pointless-laws-all-comic-book-movies-follow.html

Stick
4th May 08, 09:30 PM
Gah, totally forgot the Fantastic Four, will remove the direct-to-DVD Ultiamtes cartoons and replace.

Arhetton
4th May 08, 09:53 PM
there was also a "the flash" movie made ages ago, I remember seeing it when I was like 13 or something, it was kind of cool. I think the main bad guys were a bike gang or something lol.

Wait it was a Tv series!

_HSSOpWn2t4

1990 ftw

EternalRage
5th May 08, 12:37 AM
Stick, I enjoyed Daredevil as well.

I liked all the comic movies so far - mostly because I am easily amused, and I am so much of a comic nerd that I'm willing to throw away all notions of proper cinema and good acting just to see a live rendition of some of my favorite heroes up on the big screen.

Man, I can even stomach that really old Captain America film.

Tho I do get a little irked here and there. Galactus being a giant fart cloud. Juggernaut not being the Cyttorak monster (tho the "I'm the Juggernaut, bitch" line saved it), etc.

Stick
5th May 08, 12:49 AM
there was also a "the flash" movie made ages ago, I remember seeing it when I was like 13 or something, it was kind of cool. I think the main bad guys were a bike gang or something lol.

I did specify "Marvel".

Really, I'm just not as big into DC.

ironlurker
5th May 08, 01:33 AM
This is a tough poll. Haven't seen Iron Man yet. Liked X-men and Blade but I don't know if I can vote for one for best with a clear conscience if we're including the sequels (or not). Many of these were pretty horrible.

boondock lee
5th May 08, 01:50 AM
I'm a fan of the spiderman series, ( Yes, even the third one) The second film is my favorite film with the first film right next to it. I still prefer the third film over the shit films ( DD, FF, blade, Punisher). The main problem of the third film was the cramming of all plots within one film. And that venom never really made a huge impact on the film.

The punisher had potential but it really never stuck with me.

I haven't seen Iron man, so I haven't made a vote yet. But I do have high expectations for it since I have heard very good things about it.

Neildo
5th May 08, 02:41 AM
i haven't even seen iron man yet but i voted for it. the other movies were all ok, but i think iron man is going to be the best overall adaptation from what i've heard so far.

Mas
5th May 08, 03:51 AM
Saw Iron Man today.

Awesome.