PDA

View Full Version : WTF happened to sum 41

Arhetton
3rd May 08, 12:56 AM
short answer:

they didn't grow up and they sold out to the emo movement. Dissappointing.

I used to like a few songs when I was younger, back in 2001/2002

KX0t2BLDqv8

everythings normal here, lets have a mad house party and get drunk etc, then the band got a bit cynical, which was funny

y7W3Ahx05vg

And then I forgot about them.

About 5 years later, some of the bands music has matured:

sxaBrOu3W7w

however, the band has done an about turn and sold out to the emo movement. God dammit.

http://www.drivenfaroff.com/wp-content/2007/07/sum41.jpg

Theres still some punk type themes to their music, but its still filled with teenage angsty crap, and it looks like they've been trying to repackage themself more to the current musical trend

Apathy plus ice fill the void of motivation
I can hardly breathe at all

Confusion's all I see
Frustration surrounds me
Solution, bid farewell
Sedation, what the hell?

I broke the mirror to the past
To find what I was looking for
The bleeding heart of broken glass
Is all I found and nothing more regrets
Short of no correction
Paid my debts, to anxiety
The iron lung collapsed from the pressure and the swelling
I can hardly breathe at all

wtf? God dammit, they had potential, and could have gone the way of blink/ AVA - onto more mature themes, mature music and a post punk style.

jubei33
3rd May 08, 02:04 AM
what happened? They've gone from suck to blow.

Neildo
3rd May 08, 02:26 AM
lock this thread now, jubei has pwnt it.

Equipoise
3rd May 08, 03:18 AM
Their older stuff was decent and angry. This new emo crap is disgusting.

kungfujew
3rd May 08, 11:10 AM
I can in no way match the epic win that was Jubei's post, but here's a graphical representation of his basic premise:

http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll153/kungfujew85/1209766004721.png

Dark Helmet
3rd May 08, 01:13 PM
When you were younger? I was 24 back in 2001 and had the foresight and maturity to recognise goddamn crap when I saw it.

The_Tao
3rd May 08, 02:09 PM
The main snger stopped being single, thats what happened.

boondock lee
3rd May 08, 02:31 PM
Dave Baksh left, that's what fucking happened. He was the indian guy in the band who left due to creative differences. Which is an euphemism for leaving because sum 41 went to teh emo while he wanted to stay true to the metal/ punk sound they have before.
http://www.mtv.com/shared/promoimages/bands/s/sum_41/fuse_appearance_getty/281x211.jpg

Odacon
3rd May 08, 03:07 PM
Isn't one of them making use of Avril Laverne?

Dark Helmet
3rd May 08, 03:23 PM
http://www.drivenfaroff.com/wp-content/2007/07/sum41.jpg

Yes.The guy in this pic who doesn't swallow.

jubei33
3rd May 08, 04:41 PM
Isn't one of them making use of Avril Laverne?
dear god, wouldn't that increase their fail and aids? off the charts

Shawarma
3rd May 08, 05:39 PM
Why's Lavigne singing in a fake limey accent now? Listen to that "I wanna be your girlfriend" song, she limeys it up something awful. Is that the fashionable thing for punk wannabes now?

boondock lee
3rd May 08, 08:25 PM
The lead singer is married to Avril Lavigne.

mrblackmagic
3rd May 08, 09:13 PM
Should I give him a cookie?

boondock lee
3rd May 08, 11:09 PM
Yes. You should.

kultist
15th June 08, 01:22 PM
Dave Baksh left, that's what fucking happened. He was the indian guy in the band who left due to creative differences. Which is an euphemism for leaving because sum 41 went to teh emo while he wanted to stay true to the metal/ punk sound they have before.
http://www.mtv.com/shared/promoimages/bands/s/sum_41/fuse_appearance_getty/281x211.jpg

Dude, the man was an awesome guitarist but they really got way too heavy after All Killer No Filler. Does This Look Infected went away from the carefree teenagery Blink182 type stuff in AKNF and went into angsty metal. The songs that were most like AKNF weren't that great, with My Direction sounding alright the first time you heard it then getting tired, and All Messed Up being an alright song but nowhere near as good as most of the AKNF stuff. But they went from having a punk pop album with one or two angsty songs per album (see Handle This) to having angsty metal albums with one or two punk songs per album.
I haven't heard much of chuck, but it sounded like more angst then metal and some of it was massively unoriginal (Some Say was like Handle This but angstier), and half of the songs were out of AKNF anyway, so I never thought that album was worth shit.
Underclass Hero had a few decent punk pop songs on (underclass hero itself, march of the dogs, no apologies) and some very good emo stuff (though I guess saying good emo stuff over here is like trying to discuss good french wine in a bar in Ratfuck, Alabama) but much of it was just hideously depressing. However, they have moved back closer to the second album pop punk, so HOPEFULLY their next album will be an improvement.

jubei33
15th June 08, 04:13 PM
What is this good emo you speak of, especially in the context of French wine?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2438095238_abd21e0996.jpg?v=0

kultist
15th June 08, 05:04 PM
What is this good emo you speak of, especially in the context of French wine?
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2438095238_abd21e0996.jpg?v=0

Listening to upbeat and cheery music when you feel shit just makes you associate the good music with feeling shit. Therefore you need to listen to the sound of the emo when you feel shit as a releaser, and eventually you will have no more feelings to vent and you can begin to feel normal again. Coldplay, radiohead or nirvana are acceptable substitutes to emo.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
15th June 08, 05:06 PM
All those bands are shit

kultist
15th June 08, 05:10 PM
All those bands are shit

Sorry, I tried to read what you just wrote but I keep getting distracted by the massive cock sprouting out of your head.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
15th June 08, 05:19 PM
if you spent less time listening to shit music you might have fewer phallic hallucinations.

kultist
15th June 08, 05:27 PM
if you spent less time listening to shit music you might have fewer phallic hallucinations.

If you realised that normal people listen to a wide variety of music to suit a wide variety of moods you might not have a choade for a face.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
15th June 08, 05:31 PM
oh
i get it
it's like highschool again

kultist
15th June 08, 05:38 PM
oh
i get it
it's like highschool again

Oz: Heh, this is just like old times.
Jim: Ah, but with one difference. We're college guys now. Some of these chicks are from the grade below us. I think I might actually have a chance.
(two fit birds walk over)
Girl 1: Hey, I remember you!
Jim: Oh do you now?
Girl 2: Yeah, you're the guy who blew his load over the internet!
Girl 1: Splat! Oh Nadia wait please don't go.. Splat!
Girl 2: Pathetic.
Girl 1: Loser
(two fit birds walk away)
Finch: This is exactly like old times.

Truculent Sheep
15th June 08, 07:23 PM
I actually reviewed Sum 41's new album for the mag I write for - for ease of use, I've pasted it below:

Sum 41
“Underclass Hero”
Genre: Punk
Mercury Records
Why like Sum 41’s new album, “Underclass Hero”? It’s as punk pop as you could hope to get, with an annoying brash cheerfulness that would have all the glue sniffers turning in their grave. Was punk meant to be so jolly? Or, indeed, so polished tuneful and catchy? It would be easy to turn one’s elitist snout up in the air and many do, claiming it’s all such shallow froth…

…But that’s the thing: lift up the first layer of California Sunshine and cheery choruses, and there is a real depth here. Sum 41’s music has always had a tinge of regret or wistfulness to it, if you listen carefully. And at the heart of the skateboard bopping on “Underclass Hero”, there’s a sad edge even to the happier songs, and the more sombre tracks have a genuine sense of pathos the emo tossers could only dream of.

If pop punk is more pop than punk for the most part, the punk part lies in the faint shadow underneath each song, the sense the good times are about to pass or will soon. It’s quite amazing how sombre this album can be at times. It’s like the world’s best clown turning up at the circus slightly drunk and a bit glum: it’s smiles for the most part, but you can’t help but feel that all is not well.

The press release describes the band as ‘multi-platinum punk. That sums it up in one way, but the air of worn out disappointment is subversive in a quite sincere way too. It is also, of course, great fun.

8/10

Most of what passes for Punk these days are actually sarcastic pop songs with guitar riffs and 60 bpms. Sum 41 fits into this niche well, but it's easy to hear the sound of young men turning into middle-aged men and not liking it in their music.