PDA

View Full Version : Russian Orthodoxy>Freedom of Religion?

jvjim
27th April 08, 04:19 PM
STARY OSKOL, Russia (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/news/international/countriesandterritories/russiaandtheformersovietunion/index.html?inline=nyt-geo) — It was not long after a Methodist church put down roots here that the troubles began.
First came visits from agents of the F.S.B., a successor to the K.G.B., who evidently saw a threat in a few dozen searching souls who liked to huddle in cramped apartments to read the Bible and, perhaps, drink a little tea. Local officials then labeled the church a “sect.” Finally, last month, they shut it down.
There was a time after the fall of Communism when small Protestant congregations blossomed here in southwestern Russia, when a church was almost as easy to set up as a general store. Today, this industrial region has become emblematic of the suppression of religious freedom under President Vladimir V. Putin (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/people/p/vladimir_v_putin/index.html?inline=nyt-per).
Just as the government has tightened control over political life, so, too, has it intruded in matters of faith. The Kremlin’s surrogates in many areas have turned the Russian Orthodox Church (http://topics.nytimes.com/top/reference/timestopics/subjects/r/russian_orthodox_church/index.html?inline=nyt-classifier) into a de facto official religion, warding off other Christian denominations that seem to offer the most significant competition for worshipers. They have all but banned proselytizing by Protestants and discouraged Protestant worship through a variety of harassing measures, according to dozens of interviews with government officials and religious leaders across Russia.
This close alliance between the government and the Russian Orthodox Church has become a defining characteristic of Mr. Putin’s tenure, a mutually reinforcing choreography that is usually described here as working “in symphony.”
For full (long) article, see here (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/24/world/europe/24church.html?_r=1&hp=&oref=slogin&pagewanted=all).

While I support the growth of a cultural religion, the idea of this new "Governmental Orthodoxy" makes me think of the cult of personality that eclipsed religion in early 20th century Russina. I think this gives poeple in the west a little more credence when they critize Putin's action.

Dark Helmet
27th April 08, 04:29 PM
I remember when I was watching the news of Pope John-Paul’s visit to the Ukraine years ago. The Orthodox Church over there whined over the visit and accused the papacy of covert attempt to convert russians/Ukrers. Forgetting i suppose the fact that there are Catholic communities there.And it was nothing more then a peaceful visit.

In fact this seems to be the norm within Slavic countries.

<-------------------------But this is their god.

socratic
27th April 08, 07:14 PM
First those wacky Commies can't kill enough of their orthodox priests, and now they've got their backs?

Robot Jesus
28th April 08, 03:24 AM
i would like to buy an example of "Regan lost the cold war", Pat.

krazy kaju
3rd May 08, 01:12 PM
What are you talking about?

In Russia, there is freedom of religion... err... freedom to be Russian Orthodox that is.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd May 08, 02:44 PM
Another example of government intervention ruining everything for the free market am I right?

jvjim
3rd May 08, 06:26 PM
Go beat it to Otis Redding butt face.

krazy kaju
3rd May 08, 09:16 PM
Another example of government intervention ruining everything for the free market am I right?
You know, you're right, the free market is a failure. If dumbasses like you are allowed to be born in any system, that system must be a giant, massive failure.

The funny thing is that you're much more interventionist than pretty much anyone who was ever considered worthy in economics, even more than Keynes. You pretty much fight for common "sense" (retardation).

Also, was the neg rep really necessary? It just seems like you're a little sore in the ass after being outclassed consistently.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th May 08, 02:40 AM
Do you tuck your shirts into your underwear? You seem like the type.

socratic
4th May 08, 05:53 AM
You know, you're right, the free market is a failure. If dumbasses like you are allowed to be born in any system, that system must be a giant, massive failure.

The funny thing is that you're much more interventionist than pretty much anyone who was ever considered worthy in economics, even more than Keynes. You pretty much fight for common "sense" (retardation).

Also, was the neg rep really necessary? It just seems like you're a little sore in the ass after being outclassed consistently.

So how does the intervention-free Free Market actually tackle issues that have nothing to do with money and everything to do with people and administration?

Like... religion?

krazy kaju
4th May 08, 09:04 AM
Do you tuck your shirts into your underwear? You seem like the type.

Nope. Are you in the "special ed" classes in your school? You seem like the type.

So how does the intervention-free Free Market actually tackle issues that have nothing to do with money and everything to do with people and administration?

Like... religion?

I don't see how the two are related, which is why MegaFaggotSama had to bring it up, not me.

In any case, a free market implies freedom of religion, but I still don't see why we even need to bring up free market economics in a thread about freedom of religion. As I said before, I guess MFS is a little ass-sore.

Cullion
4th May 08, 09:05 AM
What's wrong with tucking your shirt into your underwear?

mrblackmagic
4th May 08, 09:18 AM
Everyone knows you wear bikini briefs. They just don't want to admit they do.

Any way. This next cold war is going to muy awesome.