PDA

View Full Version : Metal

Ryan Platts
27th April 08, 02:48 AM
Hey guys, what do you all think of metal? any metal fans here? what are ye into? I'm a big fan of thrash and death metal . (OLD) Metallica, Megadeth, Slayer, Kreator, Death, Morbid Angel, Atheist, Exhorder, Terrorizer etc. is more my cup of tea, but I also love stuff like Watchtower, Cynic, Van Morrison (not very metal I know but he used to be great, "Astral Weeks" is one of my favourite albums ever), Rory Gallagher, Robert Johnson, Django Reinhardt etc. I have yet to really get into black metal and grind is a bit too one-dimensional for me. Any like-minded (or totally opposite) people here??

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th April 08, 02:49 AM
Robert Johnson, Django Reinhardt

what

Ryan Platts
27th April 08, 03:07 AM
what
What do you mean "what"? I was just listing off other stuff I liked that wasn't necessarily metal. Just because I mention country blues and gypsy jazz in the same sentence doesn't mean I'm guilty of crimes against your sacred jazz.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th April 08, 03:11 AM
I just didn't see their relevance to a metal thread and tenuous grasp of English muddled your transition from pyrotechnic showmen to actual musicians.

I mention country blues and gypsy jazz in the same sentence doesn't mean I'm guilty of crimes against your sacred jazz.

How about you suck a dick?

Ryan Platts
27th April 08, 03:16 AM
I just didn't see their relevance to a metal thread and tenuous grasp of English muddled your transition from pyrotechnic showmen to actual musicians.

How about you suck a dick?

Oh, mate, seriously, I am just in awe of your debating skills. Your arguments are so lucid and.........since when did you have to come into every thread mentioning metal and hijack it with your pseudo-intellectual wank-jazz tripe? You should be killed by thrash, you poser.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th April 08, 03:18 AM
I must be an awesome troll because you're foaming at the mouth and I haven't even mentioned jazz.

nihilist
27th April 08, 03:19 AM
Well it sure was better than Glam.

Some of it anyway.

Ryan Platts
27th April 08, 03:23 AM
Well it sure was better than Glam.

Some of it anyway.

Definitely. Every time I hear Poison I want to meet up with Brett Michaels in an alleyway somewhere and cut his throat with the broken edge of a Demolition Hammer LP.

Cullion
27th April 08, 03:24 AM
Metal is for nerds man. Acne-riddled nerds clustered around the one hot girl in the chemistry department's library, trying to get her to come out to a concert and pizza.

bob
27th April 08, 03:26 AM
Metal is for nerds man. Acne-riddled nerds clustered around the one hot girl in the chemistry department's library, trying to get her to come out to a concert and pizza.

You forgot to tell us your favourite metal bands.

Ryan Platts
27th April 08, 03:36 AM

I don't know about you, but I haven't seen many chemistry nerds with long hair, leather jacket and ripped jeans around the place, have you?

bob
27th April 08, 03:39 AM
I don't know about you, but I haven't seen many chemistry nerds with long hair, leather jacket and ripped jeans around the place, have you?

No, in Sociocide we normally associate that with physics nerds.

Ryan Platts
27th April 08, 03:40 AM
No, in Sociocide we normally associate that with physics nerds.

Touche.

Cullion
27th April 08, 03:40 AM

Yes, in the UK it's extremely common.

nihilist
27th April 08, 03:42 AM
All metalheads inherently know how to blow shit up. it's like some rainman autism or something.

nihilist
27th April 08, 03:43 AM
Nobody cares about the fucking UK.

Ryan Platts
27th April 08, 03:47 AM
Yes, in the UK it's extremely common.

You serious? Well, I suppose, If Jeff Walker can be a medical student then....

Cullion
27th April 08, 06:00 AM
Nobody cares about the fucking UK.

Stop denying your real feelings.

Ryan Platts
27th April 08, 07:11 AM
Stop denying your real feelings.

I suppose I care about the UK.......in the sense of, "Hey lads, cheers for messing up my country for 800 bloody years!!!" (no, not really, I'm just joking. The British people I know are all lovely people. I would never generalise about a whole people based on the actions of historical, unrepresentative governments.....or modern, representative governments for that matter).

Actually, the only good "metal" band Ireland have/had is Thin Lizzy, but that kind of makes up for the lack of anything else (except for gay Celtic folk-metal. No, you are not Clannad or Planxty. Shut up).

Truculent Sheep
27th April 08, 07:36 AM

On the contrary, I know at least one Mathematics PhD, one Physics MSc and any number of Science, Law and Humanities graduates who are all into Metal.

Truculent Sheep
27th April 08, 07:38 AM

Cullion is just bitter 'cos Partners 'N Cryme never charted after 'Turtle Power'...

mrblackmagic
27th April 08, 08:24 AM
Metal has a time and a place.

The only Metal I listend to recently was Maximum the Hormone and they troll Metal half the time.

Cullion
27th April 08, 08:38 AM
Cullion is just bitter 'cos Partners 'N Cryme never charted after 'Turtle Power'...

How did you know?

OZZ
27th April 08, 11:29 AM
I used to be in to the whole death metal/speed metal/thrash thing ..a;ways wondered what the fuck the difference was between them, if any.
I still have some albums around that I throw on once or twice a year. Slayer, Venom, Suicidal Tendencies, Celtic Frost (early stuff) and Razor - good Canadian Speed metal band. Evil Invaders is a great album, check it out if you get a chance.
Slayer gets my vote as the best band for this sort of music. Reign in Blood is THE quintessential death metal album, in my opinion.
Metallica used to be cool, but they sold out and became pretentious knobs a long time ago.

Truculent Sheep
27th April 08, 11:38 AM
Metal has a time and a place.

As in, before you sacrifice the virgin, and after you've eaten her still twitching remains. While anally violating her with a chainsaw. In a forest. Late at night. With trolls. And zombies. In denim. But only if it's the 80s.

Neildo
27th April 08, 11:41 AM
I think the fiercest most hardcore metal album i own is by Nailbomb, but i think that's actually punk despite being made up of metal guys. anyway it's fucking awesome. WORLD OF SHIT duhnuhnuhnuhnuhnuhnuh WORLD OF SHIT.

Cullion
27th April 08, 11:47 AM
I used to like Nailbomb. When I had zits.

Cullion
27th April 08, 11:54 AM
what?

nihilist
27th April 08, 11:54 AM
Thin Lizzy was harder than Shinehead O'Connor, I'll give you that.

The_Tao
27th April 08, 02:19 PM

Not so much anymore. Go to a concert, and eight times out of ten the person next to you was more they guy in the back burning a hole through the table for shits and giggles.

Or the guy with a massive beard under the dilusion he's a viking

Cullion
27th April 08, 02:37 PM
Not so much anymore. Go to a concert, and eight times out of ten the person next to you was more they guy in the back burning a hole through the table for shits and giggles.

Or the guy with a massive beard under the dilusion he's a viking

You're proving my point for me.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th April 08, 02:50 PM
RAAAAAAAGH METAL
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/BullshidoTrail/1209216654912.jpg

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th April 08, 02:57 PM
the kid on the left must be new, he seems so out of place.

nihilist
27th April 08, 03:00 PM
He's the one with the job and the van.

Cullion
27th April 08, 03:24 PM
RAAAAAAAGH METAL
http://i157.photobucket.com/albums/t67/BullshidoTrail/1209216654912.jpg

That's what I'm talking about exactly.

The_Tao
27th April 08, 03:43 PM
You're proving my point for me.

that metal fans are vikings?

MSphinx
27th April 08, 03:56 PM
http://ruthlessreviews.com/pics5/bm2/bm5.jpg

The_Tao
27th April 08, 03:57 PM
What fuckerry is this?

MSphinx
27th April 08, 03:59 PM
Metal in a nutshell.

Cullion
27th April 08, 05:12 PM
that metal fans are vikings?

Only the ones that have the Vikings character kit book. The rest are regular fighters, mages and barbarians mostly.

Truculent Sheep
27th April 08, 06:01 PM
Post-metal syndrome is every bit as lulz-some as ex-whore syndrome - the whole 'I don't listen to Kreator anymore! I listen to ironic Brit pop and Hip Hop! Please love me! LOVE ME! I have no soul... Honestly, "Nevermind" is my favourite album!' It screams TREND WHORE very loudly, or maybe the delirium of premature senility, of caring just a little bit too much about what the snobs and posers think.

Cullion
27th April 08, 06:06 PM
I don't like ironic brit pop or much hip hop either. But metal is for nerds.

Truculent Sheep
27th April 08, 06:13 PM
I don't like ironic brit pop or much hip hop either. But metal is for nerds.

All music, if given the proper attention, is for nerds. The alternative is slurring 'I like a bit of everything, me!' at a school disco-themed night club where everyone's got chlymidia and they're all clapping like morons as 'It Only Takes A Minute, Girl' is spun for the umpteenth time...

Cullion
27th April 08, 06:18 PM
I take your point. But metal is such an awful, tasteless thing to be a nerd about. The faux anger. The zitty middle-class chemistry-studentness of it all.

Truculent Sheep
27th April 08, 06:25 PM
I take your point. But metal is such an awful, tasteless thing to be a nerd about. The faux anger. The zitty middle-class chemistry-studentness of it all.

Just like all the other music genres, therefore.

Cullion
27th April 08, 06:33 PM
No, not really. Metal is special in this regard.

Truculent Sheep
27th April 08, 07:01 PM
No, not really. Metal is special in this regard.

Like all the other kinds of music.

Cullion
27th April 08, 07:23 PM
MJS' picture explained this better than I can with words.

Quikfeet509
27th April 08, 08:47 PM
I actually started listening to metal again, but mostly for the gym. Latest purchases:

Winds of Plague - Decimate the Weak
The Breathing Process - In Waking: Divinity
For the Fallen Dreams - Changes
Cavalera Conspiracy - Inflikted

bad credit
27th April 08, 08:59 PM
Man, I can tell I've been busy lately. Somebody started a metal thread and I don't get in until page 5. I currently dig Bodycount, The Sword, Cannibal Corpse, Kittie, Slayer, Dethklok, and Fear Factory, in no particular order. There's plenty more I like but that's what is at the forefront of my mind right now.

Yes, I grew up in a trailer court, had a mullet and then a ponytail in HS, and I drove a 78 camaro, then a 78 Trans Am, and later in my 20's a 74 Nova that was primer colored. To further reinforce the stereotype, my first martial art was Fencing in the SCA. To even further reinforce the stereotype, when I was 13 I was a Christian Metal DJ for a local Christian radio station, and I not only used to play a lot of Stryper, but I got to see them in concert once. To finally ram the stereotype home, I had a midlife crisis last year and left the faith and now I hate God and the Church as much as any Black Metal band.

Let's see here, I had a pretty crazy beard at one point, but I don't have any Viking blood. I see myself as more of a Visigoth Berserker. While I used to have long hair, now I shave my head. That seems to fit with most metal bands; they seem to have a rule that you either have long hair or end up the one guy with a shaved scalp.

Ryan Platts
28th April 08, 03:02 AM
Or the Norwegian guy in corpsepaint who thinks he's kvlt....

Truculent Sheep
28th April 08, 04:46 AM
MJS' picture explained this better than I can with words.

Lots of 14-year-olds look as lost and gauche as that; only the wardrobe changes.

Truculent Sheep
28th April 08, 04:46 AM
Or the Norwegian guy in corpsepaint who thinks he's kvlt....

Well, at least he got three out of four letters right...

Ryan Platts
28th April 08, 06:52 AM
lol Carpathian Forest! What about a manly metalhead like Hetfield on the Live Shit DVD??

Ryan Platts
28th April 08, 06:55 AM
Well, at least he got three out of four letters right...

...well, actually "kvlt" is a recognised metal expression used to denote what is considered "true" and "grim" by laughably humourless BMers.

Ryan Platts
28th April 08, 06:57 AM
I actually started listening to metal again, but mostly for the gym. Latest purchases:

Winds of Plague - Decimate the Weak
The Breathing Process - In Waking: Divinity
For the Fallen Dreams - Changes
Cavalera Conspiracy - Inflikted

Is Cavalera Conspiracy any good? I try to stay away from post- Arise Sepultura or anything connected with it, so I don't know. I hope it's okay.
A lot of those bands sound very metalcore-ey to me, as far as names go....do they sound like that too (please say no)?

OZZ
28th April 08, 10:02 AM
I forgot to mention - there is a really heavy band from Greece called Rotting Christ that has a pretty big following. They are worth checking out if you have not heard them before. They wereon tour last year in North America and I missed the chance to see them in Hamilton, much to my dismay.
Celtic Frost ( from Norway, I think) had a couple of good albums too, Morbid Tales is one of the best of the genre in my opinion.
As far as the whole Satanism BS goes, nobody did a better job of making fucking asshats out of themselves than Liverpool's very own - VENOM.
Cullion, your Queen must be so proud to have these guys as representatives of the apex of musical culture in Britain. Who ever heard of the Beatles? No one, but everyone knows VENOM - fuck ya!

Neildo
28th April 08, 10:43 AM
i downloaded Nailbomb's point blank because my only copy was on cassette. so fucking awesome. bad credit, you should get that if you don't already have it.

Truculent Sheep
28th April 08, 02:31 PM
...well, actually "kvlt" is a recognised metal expression used to denote what is considered "true" and "grim" by laughably humourless BMers.

I KNOW. Let's just say I've got a few Xasthur and Hate Forest CDs knocking around my record collection too...

Truculent Sheep
28th April 08, 02:35 PM
I forgot to mention - there is a really heavy band from Greece called Rotting Christ that has a pretty big following. They are worth checking out if you have not heard them before. They wereon tour last year in North America and I missed the chance to see them in Hamilton, much to my dismay.
Celtic Frost ( from Norway, I think) had a couple of good albums too, Morbid Tales is one of the best of the genre in my opinion.
As far as the whole Satanism BS goes, nobody did a better job of making fucking asshats out of themselves than Liverpool's very own - VENOM.
Cullion, your Queen must be so proud to have these guys as representatives of the apex of musical culture in Britain. Who ever heard of the Beatles? No one, but everyone knows VENOM - fuck ya!

Err, 4 points...

i. Most metal veterans are big Beatles fans too - Lemmy, for example.
ii. Venom are actually from Newcastle.
iii. Celtic Frost are Swiss.
iv. Rotting Christ's last album, Theogonia, kicks serious fucking arse.

MSphinx
28th April 08, 03:12 PM
The last metal album I bought was Obzen by Meshuggah. Bleed is amazing.

Post some vids!

M9bQPavZ6jQ

Cullion
28th April 08, 05:04 PM
Lots of 14-year-olds look as lost and gauche as that; only the wardrobe changes.

Yeah. It's just the juxtapostion of the faux anger and the dorkiness I find simultaneously grating and amusing.

I know, it's the same with chart 'gangsta' hip hop. I don't like that either.

OK, here's a chance to educate me. I like some hip hop. I like the Beastie Boys. I like Saul Williams. Show me the metal equivalents and I will listen with open ears.

Truculent Sheep
28th April 08, 05:43 PM
Yeah. It's just the juxtapostion of the faux anger and the dorkiness I find simultaneously grating and amusing.

I know, it's the same with chart 'gangsta' hip hop. I don't like that either.

OK, here's a chance to educate me. I like some hip hop. I like the Beastie Boys. I like Saul Williams. Show me the metal equivalents and I will listen with open ears.

Right, here's a crash course in TEH MEHTAAAAAL:

i. Nile - 'Black Seeds of Vengeance'.
ii. Skyforger - 'Pērkonkalve'
iii. Morbid Angel - 'Domination'
iv. Candlemass - 'Nightfall'
v. Katatonia - 'Brave Murder Day'
vi. Mortician - 'Hacked Up For Barbecue' or 'Domain of Death'
vii. Carcass - 'Heartwork'
viii. Bolt Thrower - 'War Master'
ix. Atheist - 'Unquestionable Presence'
x. Black Witchery - 'Upheaval of Satanic Might'

&

Anything by Electric Wizard and Pentagram.

Ryan Platts
28th April 08, 06:19 PM
I KNOW. Let's just say I've got a few Xasthur and Hate Forest CDs knocking around my record collection too...

lol....sorry. I've kind of been turned off BM after getting battles in the north by immortal....god the drumming sucks.....

Truculent Sheep
28th April 08, 06:35 PM
We've all had embarrassing 'Immortal' moments - it's like erectile dysfunction, but more humiliating.

Ryan Platts
28th April 08, 06:39 PM
We've all had embarrassing 'Immortal' moments - it's like erectile dysfunction, but more humiliating.

usually involving one of their ridiulous photo shoots lol

....and may I suggest substituting Morbid Angel's "Domination" in your list with both Altars of Madness and Blessed Are the Sick.
And also Human, ITP or Symbolic by Death (RIP CHUCK).

EDIT: And where's the thrash??

Truculent Sheep
28th April 08, 06:55 PM
....and may I suggest substituting Morbid Angel's "Domination" in your list with both Altars of Madness and Blessed Are the Sick.

I chose Domination because it was the least convoluted and most to-the-point of the MA albums, and so the best choice for a metal NOOB.

And also Human, ITP or Symbolic by Death (RIP CHUCK).

EDIT: And where's the thrash??

I've got a strange fixation on Sodom too, but thrash isn't my main focus, and I was choosing albums I'd suggest out of first preference.

That's not to say you can't come up with a 10-entry beginners' guide to thrash of your own, though

Cullion
28th April 08, 07:28 PM
Right, here's a crash course in TEH MEHTAAAAAL:

i. Nile - 'Black Seeds of Vengeance'.
ii. Skyforger - 'Pērkonkalve'
iii. Morbid Angel - 'Domination'
iv. Candlemass - 'Nightfall'
v. Katatonia - 'Brave Murder Day'
vi. Mortician - 'Hacked Up For Barbecue' or 'Domain of Death'
vii. Carcass - 'Heartwork'
viii. Bolt Thrower - 'War Master'
ix. Atheist - 'Unquestionable Presence'
x. Black Witchery - 'Upheaval of Satanic Might'

&

Anything by Electric Wizard and Pentagram.

I haven't got through them all yet. So far I've got as far as Candlemass. I liked Skyforger because I could see a bit of charisma and improvisation in the live performance I saw on youtube. The other 3, not so much. It's just not the sort of music that cheers me up so far. I'm not anti real instruments or anything, or anti 'rock'. I like a lot of punk for example. I'll keep going with the rest.

Truculent Sheep
28th April 08, 07:32 PM
I liked Skyforger because I could see a bit of charisma and improvisation in the live performance I saw on youtube.

Bloody amazing band imho - they're playing London on 17/05, and I'm sorely tempted to see them...

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
28th April 08, 08:00 PM
5/17. month first, and what's with that 0? niggas invented the language and you still can't do it right

Arhetton
29th April 08, 01:20 AM
did someone say metal and anime?

iPltUABX1-Y

Ryan Platts
29th April 08, 04:10 AM
Okay, my top 10 introductory listening:
1) Metallica, "Ride the Lightning"
2) Slayer, "Reign in Blood"
3) Megadeth, "Peace Sells...But Who's Buying?"
4) Morbid Angel, "Altars of Madness"
5, Death, "Symbolic"
6) Atheist, "Unquestionablt Presence"
7) Terrorizer, "World Downfall"
8) Watchtower, "Control and Resistance
9) Immortal, "Batlles in the North" (the only BM album I have yet!!)
10) Thin Lizzy, "Jailbreak" (just couldn't resist!!!!)

Truculent Sheep
29th April 08, 05:04 AM
5/17. month first, and what's with that 0? niggas invented the language and you still can't do it right

It is 17/05 - it's not my fault you don't know what tarmac is.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
29th April 08, 09:45 AM
you land planes on it

Truculent Sheep
29th April 08, 10:52 AM
Ah good - you're learning. At this rate, you'll be able to pronounce 'Lieutenant' properly and operate a photocopier. In a few months.

Quikfeet509
29th April 08, 03:43 PM
Is Cavalera Conspiracy any good? I try to stay away from post- Arise Sepultura or anything connected with it, so I don't know. I hope it's okay.
A lot of those bands sound very metalcore-ey to me, as far as names go....do they sound like that too (please say no)?

I am a relative noobie being reintroduced to the genre, but I think Cavalera is thrash metal and the other groups I listed are deathcore.

Truculent Sheep
29th April 08, 03:48 PM
Certainly, classic Sepultura was, but from 'Roots' onwards, they turned into a sort of lukewarm heavy rock band. 'Arise' is assuredly their highpoint.

Ryan Platts
29th April 08, 06:08 PM
Certainly, classic Sepultura was, but from 'Roots' onwards, they turned into a sort of lukewarm heavy rock band. 'Arise' is assuredly their highpoint.

Yeah, I was aware of this sad fact. I was asking about Cavalera Conspiracy. I have Beneath the Remains (tossing up whether to get morbid visions- but i know ill get arise some time in the future).

In totally unrelated news, have you got high hopes for the new morbid angel album? i'm excited that david vincent is back in the fold. trey better produce something better than heretic.

Truculent Sheep
29th April 08, 06:31 PM
In totally unrelated news, have you got high hopes for the new morbid angel album? i'm excited that david vincent is back in the fold. trey better produce something better than heretic.

The 'Angel has been worn out for quite a while, so really need to get that old spark back. I will perch daintily on the fence until the initial press comes in.

The Obituary comeback, 'Xecutioner's Return', is pretty much the yardstick by which any old guard release should be judged by. And that's a fucking high yardstick.

Anyone for Gallhammer? Asian babes aplenty.

Riddeck
30th April 08, 02:45 AM
Ok.

I just went through 8 fucking pages of metal talk, and I did not see a single Opeth reference.

What the fuck gives?

I KNEW you all were a bunch of wankers, I just was not certain it was this bad.

Apparently, I was wrong.

(if there was a mention and I missed it, forgive me, point it out, and I will rep accordingly)

Celtic Frost mentioned, even.

Yet no Opeth.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
30th April 08, 02:48 AM
opeth is trite butt rock. blahblah charlie christian blahblah charles mingus

Ryan Platts
30th April 08, 03:50 AM
You know , I haven't even heard hardly any opeth. I'm too busy trying to get older metal albums that I never get new albums except for ones from old bands. I still need to get bonded by blood, slayer's first two, celtic frost's first two, mayhem's first, emperor's first etc.......then I might get around to whatever's happening now lol

jvjim
30th April 08, 04:52 AM
opeth is trite butt rock. blahblah charlie christian blahblah charles mingus I think it's hilarious that asexual scenesters like our Djano loving friend here refuse to admit the obvious: that heavy metal, while being utterly devoid of any meaningful artistic intention (come on, 'Of Wolf and Man' sounds really cool, but so does the text-to-voice function on your macbook), still has more cultural relevance (to an American audience) than any other rock n'roll genre (with the possible exception of grunge, but seriously, fuck grunge.)

Truculent Sheep
30th April 08, 05:01 AM
opeth is trite butt rock. blahblah charlie christian blahblah charles mingus

A burnt-out troll is like a brown dwarf star - tragic and faded, but also rather pathetic.

Truculent Sheep
30th April 08, 05:03 AM
Ok.

I just went through 8 fucking pages of metal talk, and I did not see a single Opeth reference.

What the fuck gives?

I KNEW you all were a bunch of wankers, I just was not certain it was this bad.

Apparently, I was wrong.

(if there was a mention and I missed it, forgive me, point it out, and I will rep accordingly)

Celtic Frost mentioned, even.

Yet no Opeth.

Fucking hell - we're in trainspotter territory now.

Speaking seriously for a moment, I do really appreciate Opeth's music and its artistry. But subjectively speaking, they don't float my boat. Put simply, I'd listen to their albums, give them 9/10 and not listen to them much afterwards.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
30th April 08, 05:06 AM
I think it's hilarious that asexual scenesters like our Djano loving friend here refuse to admit the obvious: that heavy metal, while being utterly devoid of any meaningful artistic intention (come on, 'Of Wolf and Man' sounds really cool, but so does the text-to-voice function on your macbook), still has more cultural relevance (to an American audience) than any other rock n'roll genre (with the possible exception of grunge, but seriously, fuck grunge.)

Metal is only important to a rather small and overwhelmingly dorky subculture. I know it's been a long time since you were in high school, but metal heads have not gotten any less lame. If any subdivision of rock n'roll is the most important to modern American culture it's probably blandish pop punk like Green Day or tacky rock-derivative pop like Miley Cyrus.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
30th April 08, 05:07 AM
... asexual?

jvjim
30th April 08, 05:15 AM
... asexual?
MJS, liking music as much as you do is like getting a stiffie while you're doing math. Come on bud, you know as well as I that the opening theme from "The Office" is a better reflection on your daily life (and mine, as a white suburbanite) than something from Mars Volta or Death Cab for Cutie or some other dumb band that everyone has on their facebook favorites. My point, all music that isn't art (where art= barouqe, blues-jazz, classical, all that gay stuff) is pretty lame. Fuck music.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
30th April 08, 05:20 AM
if you're coming on to me i'll have to see pics

Truculent Sheep
30th April 08, 05:22 AM
Metal is only important to a rather small and overwhelmingly dorky subculture. I know it's been a long time since you were in high school, but metal heads have not gotten any less lame. If any subdivision of rock n'roll is the most important to modern American culture it's probably blandish pop punk like Green Day or tacky rock-derivative pop like Miley Cyrus.

Translation: 'I am a Jazz twat.'

Ryan Platts
30th April 08, 05:25 AM

I second this motion. Poser deserves to DIE!!!

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
30th April 08, 05:46 AM

this has been a great success.

this post will also be a great success because if I hadn't added this sentence i'm typing now you'd reply about how pitiful my troll is.

fuck yo couch

Truculent Sheep
30th April 08, 05:48 AM
this has been a great success.

this post will also be a great success because if I hadn't added this sentence i'm typing now you'd reply about how pitiful my troll is.

fuck yo couch

And so the inevitable has finally occurred: Sirc has vanished up his own arse, liked the experience and is presently licking 'Marmite' off his own colon.

Bless.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
30th April 08, 05:53 AM
you're playing right into my hands

Truculent Sheep
30th April 08, 06:58 AM
Christ, how terrifying.

Riddeck
30th April 08, 10:31 AM
Fucking hell - we're in trainspotter territory now.

Speaking seriously for a moment, I do really appreciate Opeth's music and its artistry. But subjectively speaking, they don't float my boat. Put simply, I'd listen to their albums, give them 9/10 and not listen to them much afterwards.

I am generally not a fan of screamer/growlers, et cet. However Mikael Ackerfeldt is on top tier as far as that goes. Plus his singing voice, is unsurpassed by most. The way he writes, you can tell, it is what he was born to do. It is his life, his blood, his sweat, and his tears. There is a certain passion in his music, even when it goes to the death metal side of things, and flows perfectly into the serene nature of it. Dynamics? Opeth are masters of that.

Of course it is not for everyone, that goes with any music. I am just fortunate enough to not only recognize the immense amount of talent, but to be in love with the music as well.

Riddeck
30th April 08, 10:32 AM
You know , I haven't even heard hardly any opeth. I'm too busy trying to get older metal albums that I never get new albums except for ones from old bands. I still need to get bonded by blood, slayer's first two, celtic frost's first two, mayhem's first, emperor's first etc.......then I might get around to whatever's happening now lol

Do yourself the favour of picking up a few Opeth albums. I recommend Blackwater Park, Damnation and Deliverance.

My arms, your hearse, might be my personal favourite, because it was the first album I had listened to of theirs, but honestly, every one (of the now 9) are fucking amazing.

Riddeck
30th April 08, 10:33 AM

I slow down my presence here only to see that you are still a flaming twat of child like fantasy.

You still think you know what the fuck you are talking about?

OZZ
30th April 08, 10:50 AM
I have never heard of Opeth..I will check them out.
Last night I watched a DVD called "Still Reigning" - a Slayer concert where they play all the songs off Reign in Blood and the finale features the boys getting 'reigned' on with some fake blood..very cool , the songs sound great live.
There are also some bonus tracks from other concerts on the disc as well..I borrowed it from a friend, but may well have to purchase it for myself. Pretty awesome...

OZZ
30th April 08, 10:51 AM
I slow down my presence here only to see that you are still a flaming twat of child like fantasy.

You still think you know what the fuck you are talking about?

He clearly does not know what he is talking about..
When I was in High School Rockers RULED..then they slowly faded away. There are no rockers left...