PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Flight Simulator X

Olorin
20th April 08, 09:44 PM
I have always loved simulators…especially flight simulators. I have been playing flight sims since Flight of the Intruder (1991). But for all of that time I have focused on combat flight sims like Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator I, II, and III. I never understand the appeal of the Microsoft Flight Simulator franchise until recently. About a year ago my judo coach gave me his old copy of FS 2000 and I loved it. Recently I bought a copy of the new version Microsoft Flight Simulator X and I really enjoy it.

Difficulty: It is not difficult to play the game, but it is very difficult to play it well. Just like a real airplane you are overwhelmed by hundreds of switches, knobs, and controls. You have to understand and know how to use the gauges and controls in each aircraft.

Graphics: The graphics of FSX are both a high and low point of the game. You need a good system to play the game. If you have one the graphics are excellent. If you have an old systems then forget about it.

Missions: The game has about fifty missions for you to play but they act more as a tutorial. You work your way through the missions to improve your skills. The real fun is in the free flight mode. Essentially the game is an open “sand box” you can fly any plane to anywhere you like. You can fly over your hometown just for fun or you can schedule a flight from one airport to another. I like to recreate flight I have taken over the years. I recently flew from Will Rogers World (OKC) to Dallas, Dallas to JFK, JFK to Munich, and Munich to Sofia Bulgaria. And each flight was in a similar aircraft to what I actually took.

What I really like about this game is that you learn how to fly real aircraft. After some time with the game you learn how to use what once seemed like a bewildering array of controls. You learn about how modern aircrafts work and get a basic understanding of flight.

Now for the downside….

This is a very complicated game and a real bitch to learn. Taking off in a Bowing 737 is easy, setting the auto pilot to the correct altitude and speed takes some practice, landing that bastard it a real problem. Bringing it in bad weather, with cross winds, rain, and low visibility is enough to make you find religion. One of the really fun parts of the game is that you can set it for real world weather. The game updates every fifteen minutes with the local weather of wherever you are.

Another low point is that the game has no manual. It has a “learning center” on the CD but that does not help you when you are in the air. A game of this complexity needs a manual.

If you have never played a game like this before them good luck! It has a very steep learning curve and this is from a guy you could land the F-14 on NES Top Gun.

But it really is a fun game. It has unlimited re-playability. The graphics are great and the difficulty will keep you coming back or make you destroy your joystick.

Here are some screen shots from games I have played…

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/Olorinii/2008-4-11_22-26-7-218small.jpg

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w209/Olorinii/2008-4-11_22-39-42-207small.jpg

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th April 08, 09:47 PM
Why do you need a good computer for that ugly piece of shit? Was this review written eight years ago?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th April 08, 09:47 PM
(also flight simulators are GAY)

Olorin
20th April 08, 09:56 PM
Why do you need a good computer for that ugly piece of shit? Was this review written eight years ago?

Well the game came out a year and a half ago...so no. I know your pride took a kick to the nuts...I suggest you get over it.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th April 08, 09:58 PM
It came out a year and a half ago huh?

Head's up: that whole Iraq thing is going to get pretty shitty.

Olorin
20th April 08, 10:00 PM
My feeling are hurt...you made me look foolish and everybody saw it...

LOL, still angry I see...Better luck next time.

Now run off our I will tell your mommy you've been smokin' the pot...

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th April 08, 10:04 PM
I can't afford anything better than a TRS80

Well if you weren't a history major you wouldn't be having that problem.

Olorin
20th April 08, 10:12 PM
Well if you weren't a history major you wouldn't be having that problem.

Ok, Ok, if you were really that embarrassed by our exchange we can talk about it. I am on AIM IM right now.