PDA

View Full Version : Another doping case: Billiards champ busted, WTF?

Steve
21st March 08, 12:57 PM
This is ridiculous...

German billiards champ tests positive for EPO agent

http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i141/forstevee/dogs20playing20poker22-1.jpg
DUESSELDORF, Germany (AP) - Germany's first case of doping in billiards was announced Monday after national champion Axel Buescher tested positive for an EPO masking agent.

Buescher's positive test came at November's German championships, where he captured the carom billiards title, the German Billiard Union said.

Buescher said the masking agent was in prescription medicine he failed to have approved.

The Union suspended Buescher for one year and stripped him of his title after he passed on his right to have the "B" sample tested.

EPO is a blood booster most closely associated with endurance sports, such as cycling, where it has played a central role in several Tour de France scandals.

-------------------------------

Link. (http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/7923510?MSNHPHMA)

What's next? Doping in the professional poker circuit??

WarPhalange
21st March 08, 01:46 PM
Doping in chess.

SFGOON
21st March 08, 08:28 PM
Nope. Someone fucked up.

Amphetimines, Ritalin, Cocaine I would believe. EPO for billiards? No fucking chance.

PizDoff
21st March 08, 09:39 PM
Well he hurt his wrist and was really under pressure to perform.

Aaranar
22nd March 08, 11:54 AM
From the endurance standpoint, if it actually boosted endurance, I could see it helping in a 6-8 hour day of match play in the greenroom. In actual tournament play, I can't see it benefitting you very much.

jubei33
22nd March 08, 05:12 PM
Nope. Someone fucked up.

Amphetimines, Ritalin, Cocaine I would believe. EPO for billiards? No fucking chance.

why is that do you think? EPO is not in the same chemical class (large protein) as those you mentioned, is there something about the test performed?

ICY
22nd March 08, 07:44 PM
It just wouldn't help you for billiards. Stimulants would.

Doping in poker is common.

SFGOON
23rd March 08, 12:23 AM
why is that do you think? EPO is not in the same chemical class (large protein) as those you mentioned, is there something about the test performed?

No, I don't see why he'd take EPO. His positive test was for a masking agent, not EPO itself. A simple hematocrit test would suffice to prove or disprove the use of EPO - it's not like you metabolize it and secrete it in your urine.

Steve
23rd March 08, 12:27 AM
Guys, the point is this: Why the fuck are they testing for a billiards tournament in the first place?

Sun Wukong
23rd March 08, 03:13 AM
well, it's official now, Billiards is a sport. I never thought i'd see the day when people drug tested guys that play pool for a living... that's like testing to see if bartenders were drunk while on the job. insanity.

Thinkchair
23rd March 08, 10:27 AM
well, it's official now, Billiards is a sport. I never thought i'd see the day when people drug tested guys that play pool for a living... that's like testing to see if bartenders were drunk while on the job. insanity.

Actually testing the bartender makes more sense than testing the billiard player. I want my mai tai made by a sober hand. But who gives a fuck about billiards? I only watch when that hot asian chick plays.

jubei33
23rd March 08, 04:24 PM
No, I don't see why he'd take EPO. His positive test was for a masking agent, not EPO itself. A simple hematocrit test would suffice to prove or disprove the use of EPO - it's not like you metabolize it and secrete it in your urine.
fair enough, I dont think it should matter one way or the other for billiards at least.