PDA

View Full Version : Top Film Composers

Artful Dentures
16th March 08, 11:19 PM
List your top 5 with vids -- MJS if you want to choose Jazz composers that's fine just don't make it into a big pointless history lesson

5) Araon Copland

jiB8B4XsBRk

His distinctive music sounds like America. He also was one of the granddaddy's of influence for modern cinema film scoring

4) Tied - Yes I am cheating having a tie

Henry Mancini

ew14KGGDMKQ

Ennio Morricone

From the Mission

PRb8KKyenSY

3) Danny Elfman - He's been copied by so many that people forget how goddamn good he is. Thank God OingoBoingo was never a big hit and he went into film composition

Beetle Juice

oFAfiLA97mM

2) John Williams - corny.. maybe, but his music sticks in your mind and sounds like the movies he wrote it for.

Indian Jones Bitches!

o1c05_yXmaI

1) Basil Poledouris. To me he combined all the best of those who went before him and brought it to a perfect level.

Now Conan would be the obvious popular choice, but I find his theme for Lonsome Dove to be the best example of the man in all his brilliance. It shows subtlety, patience and beauty a GREAT piece of music.

74Mj6_V0R84

Ah fuck it here's Music from Conan The Barbarian as well. It Rocks!

sHDmXtW9Yx0

WarPhalange
17th March 08, 12:36 AM
Video game composers > movie composers.

bob
17th March 08, 04:10 AM
awskKWzjlhk

Riddeck
17th March 08, 04:37 AM
Video game composers > movie composers.

www.myspace.com/year200x

mrblackmagic
18th March 08, 09:26 AM
Marvin Gaye - Trouble Man

Usl-h5f-8W0
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Usl-h5f-8W0

is2EdVePwM4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=is2EdVePwM4

iUvIfdl6NJc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUvIfdl6NJ

Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart- Amadeus

Elliot Goldenthal- Titus

Wol

Artful Dentures
20th March 08, 05:06 PM
Arggh I forgot John Barry

What would James Bond be with out John Barry's Music

V-5f8IWXCTI

Stick
21st March 08, 06:27 PM
John Williams.... corny.... please, kill yourself now.

Here's the list:

#5 I still haven't seen this movie and the music makes me all weepy.

aX2qP3gP_Vs

#4 Even with movies that suck, JW does superior work.

FH6dUmF4AA0

#3 Just cause we're posting music doesn't mean it has to be over a blank screen

OCgJACYsOSo

#2 Don't tell me you don't think you can fly when you hear this.

arD4ahHZft0

#1 That's right.

f7KkFcyOklg

Wait, what's that? Yo0u want me to throw a bone to some other lesser composers? Ok, here's the 2nd best film composer of all time.

hcERhdpmf-U

Yeah, you heard me!

Artful Dentures
21st March 08, 09:44 PM
Maybe corny isn't the best word to describe John Williams. I like him a lot and his music has been perfect for his movies. However subtle he isn't

Artful Dentures
21st March 08, 09:53 PM
Honorible mention also to Trevor Jones and this gem from Last of the Mohicans

jnHd1uuk2Cg

Stick
22nd March 08, 02:17 AM
I would say "iconic", but hey, whatever.

"Subtlty" in film scoring is just another way to say "can't come up with original and compelling melodies/rythms/hooks/etc".

Artful Dentures
22nd March 08, 08:41 AM
I would say "iconic", but hey, whatever.

"Subtlty" in film scoring is just another way to say "can't come up with original and compelling melodies/rythms/hooks/etc".

Now you're being silly.

Williams isn't subtle, his scores can each be defined by one or two words. Superman - heroic and soaring. Jaws- menacing and threatening. Indiana Jones -adventurous and plucky. His music starts off each time exactly at the precise tone he wants, stays there and ends there.

This is not a criticism, it's whats needed and takes a lot of skill but it is what it is.

But listen to Basil Poledouris Lonsome Dove soundtrack. It starts off small, grows in grandeur, comes down a bit then crescendos and ends sweetly, bringing a varied emotional scope and range throughout, while still doing the job of "telling a story"

Basil comes up with compelling hooks and melodies that surprise and go in unexpected directions, while all the time serving the unique purpose and tone off each movie. It's why I list him number one.

Again music is subjective so really impossible to argue but there you go...