PDA

View Full Version : Any bikers/motorcycle riders?

oldshadow
9th March 08, 07:02 PM
Any bikers/motorcycle riders?

I was just wondering if there are any other bikers or motorcycle riders around and what you ride.

My present bike is a “Fatboy”.

SpringHeeledJack
9th March 08, 07:37 PM
I haven't really ridden in years. I grew up riding dirt bikes, and when I was 15 I got a Yamaha 250 Exciter from my cousin. It was a piece of shit. I had to start it by touching the ends of the syllanoid with a screwdriver. In 2000 I got a 2001 CBR 900, but it was stolen about a year later. I haven't ridden since. Last month I came really close to buying a Suzuki DR650:

http://www.suzukidealersites.com/moto/images/views/2007/DR650SE_Black.jpg

But I couldn't get the douchebag salesman to come off his ridiculous price so I told him he could keep it. If I ever get another bike it will be some kind of dualsport like the DR or KLR. For now, I ride this model:

http://rowery.onet.pl/_i/sprzet/rowery/600/2007_301.jpg

SpringHeeledJack
9th March 08, 07:40 PM
....and I know, "RICE BURNER LOL!" so you don't have to say it.

oldshadow
9th March 08, 08:08 PM
....and I know, "RICE BURNER LOL!" so you don't have to say it.

Hey it’s two wheels and a motor so it’s cool. I started racing in the dirt myself at 11 or 12 back in the “old days”. I raced a lot of different bikes in the dirt my last race bike was a Bultaco.
I started riding on the street at 15 (well legally anyway) in 1969. I was ridding and street raced a lot of different brands over the years including a number of Rice Burners. I switched over to metric and American some years back since the guys I hung with rode the same.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 08:31 PM
i'm not giving you my wallet or my keys. Fuck off.

Olorin
9th March 08, 08:33 PM
My present bike is a “Fatboy”.

Any pictures you car to share?

oldshadow
9th March 08, 08:52 PM
Any pictures you car to share?

Here one.

oldshadow
9th March 08, 08:56 PM
And close up of engine.

Steve
9th March 08, 08:59 PM
Oh, a fatboy is a bike!!

So your not riding MEGA JESUS-SAMA.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 09:07 PM
no but i'm riding him

oldshadow
9th March 08, 09:09 PM
Oh, a fatboy is a bike!!

So your not riding MEGA JESUS-SAMA.

Yea even though HD calls it a “Fatboy” I tend to think of her as a voluptuous female.
I tend to think of things I like to ride as female but each to their own.
She’s the only female I can begin to understand.

SpringHeeledJack
9th March 08, 09:10 PM
Damn, that's a nice bike.

oldshadow
9th March 08, 09:19 PM
Damn, that's a nice bike.

Thanks she’s one I wanted for a while. Being a blue-collar guy she was my first brand new out of the crate bike. All my other bikes were just new to me when I got them.

SpringHeeledJack
9th March 08, 09:45 PM
If I could afford it I'd get one of these bad boys:

Ducati Monster S4R.
http://www.ducatistore.co.uk/images/04_1024.jpg

I'll never be able to afford it though. I bought my CBR brand new, but I was irresponsible and really had no business buying anything. I know better now.

GuiltySpark
9th March 08, 09:49 PM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5734/dsc04602kx2.jpg

Neildo
10th March 08, 04:03 AM
oh gs you bastard.

i want this (http://www.asl-testsite.co.uk/motors/new/BMW-HP2-Sport-2008.jpg) bike so bad. or an nsr 500, any year.

Sirc
10th March 08, 06:18 PM
http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2005models/2005-Kawasaki-Ninja500R-EX500.jpg

One of these is goign to be purchased before the year is out.

OZZ
10th March 08, 09:22 PM
Used to have a GSXR 750 (95) ...smashed my leg up pretty bad in a crash and have not ridden in some time.
Tryin' to convince the wife that a bike is really economical with these gas prices in hopes of getting one either this summer or next.
Friend of mine just bought an Italian Bike, I think it is a Ducati? It is fuckin' sweet. I'll see if I can get him to post a picture of it.
Personally, I am not big on HD's. I think they are overpriced and too trendy nowadays.
If I was going to pick a cruising bike it would likely be a Triumph.

Neildo
11th March 08, 02:26 AM
I'd get a V-Rod. those are freakin sweet.

oldshadow
11th March 08, 08:44 AM
Used to have a GSXR 750 (95) ...smashed my leg up pretty bad in a crash and have not ridden in some time.
Tryin' to convince the wife that a bike is really economical with these gas prices in hopes of getting one either this summer or next.
Friend of mine just bought an Italian Bike, I think it is a Ducati? It is fuckin' sweet. I'll see if I can get him to post a picture of it.
Personally, I am not big on HD's. I think they are overpriced and too trendy nowadays.
If I was going to pick a cruising bike it would likely be a Triumph.

Yea a lot of RUB’s have tried to buy the image but the good news is you should be able to buy used bikes at a great price as they get tired of paying the gas to trailer them to poser party’s. Just like the price on the so called “choppers” should drop to about ½ of what they paid for it.
And HD has sure tried to cash in on the craze but you should be able to get a good price on even a new one as they will have over stock.
I rode a chopped Triumph for a while. A real homemade, rattle can chopper. I loved it however it was possessed by the devil and tried to kill me on a regular bases.

OZZ
11th March 08, 06:24 PM
http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/5734/dsc04602kx2.jpg

Cool Helmet.

Madgrenade
17th April 08, 09:45 AM
http://www.bikez.com/pictures/honda/2006/22471_0_1_2_cg%20125_Image%20credits%20-%20Honda.jpg

I ride this bad boy. Brmm Brmmm.

Commodore Pipes
17th April 08, 11:12 AM
I rode a chopped Triumph for a while. A real homemade, rattle can chopper. I loved it however it was possessed by the devil and tried to kill me on a regular bases.

You know what? I've seen a lot of chopped 70's Tigers. WHat is it about that bike that invites modification?

SpringHeeledJack
13th May 08, 08:16 PM
I just bought a DRZ400S:

http://www.aurora-suzuki.com/specials/07SuzukiDRZ400s-09%20(Small).jpg

I'm pretty excited.

Sun Wukong
13th May 08, 11:53 PM
I ride the PS 9000 on GTA IV, does that count?

socratic
17th May 08, 09:28 AM
I wouldn't mind riding a motorbike for about 5 minutes. I only know one person who's ever recovered fully from a motorbike accident, the rest have been permenantly injured. One of my father's best friends walks with a profound limp (good excuse to carry a shalileigh, though) because of his bike accident. I could probably turn on the news and see a new death in a bike accident. Having no protection vs several tons of steel in a road accident is categorically stupid, I'm sorry to say, so while the price of petrol is cheap as fuck, I'll probably never seriously ride.

Here's a question- how many of you guys have had serious accidents/near misses on your bikes?

SpringHeeledJack
17th May 08, 10:39 AM
I wonder what happened to the picture in my last post? Oh well.

Here's a question- how many of you guys have had serious accidents/near misses on your bikes?

I've crashed more times than I can remember. Fortunately, however, I've never been seriously injured.

OZZ
17th May 08, 03:57 PM
I was in three accidents - one was my fault and the other two were not. I received a permanent injury insofar as I now have a steel rod in my leg that wasn't there before. But it doesn't really affect me now.
First accident came within one month of owning my second motorcycle ( GSXR 750) I was drunk, but not plastered...decided to ride my bike home anyways. Stupidly forgot to put up my kickstand and when I went to navigate my first turn uphill the kickstand started to grind into the road..bike started shaking and I was going pretty fast. Anyways, this particular road was on an uphill curve and there was a concrete wall running alongside it about thirty meters from the curb. Bike went off the road, I threw myself off the bike and landed against the wall, but not too hard, really. Took a chip out of my helmet though, nice little reminder never to ride drunk again, and I never did.
Second accident, some asshole cuts me off in a rainstorm right before a RR crossing. I can't brake gradually as you need to in the rain so I dump the bike. Hurt my back pretty bad and I was extremely lucky no other cars hit me. I recovered quickly enough to get up and hurl my helmet at the fuckhead's car, but It just bounced off the back of his car and he kept driving. I swear if he had gotten out I would have killed him on the spot. I was very unruly in those days..and I was always armed with a weapon of some sort.
Entire back was a giant bruise for about a month, ruined my favorite jacket, but other than that no serious injuries.
Last accident, pretty simple. Taxi slammed into me from the side ('Didn't see me' -which sems to be the most popular defence when people hit bikers), crushed my leg broke tib/fib. But it was not as bad as it sounds. At first I didn't even think it was broken. Bike was a wreck, but insurance paid out and I got extra for the driver's negligence. Used that money to pay for some of my schooling after fighting to get it for a few years.
Would I ride again? Damn straight..if my wife would let me!:viking:

This time of year I always get the itch when I see the guys buzzing around town. I don't think my woman is going to be able to delay the inevitable for more than one more season...I will be pushing very hard to get another bike next spring and will likely go with a CBR or something like that...

OZZ
17th May 08, 04:07 PM
http://www.bikez.com/pictures/honda/2006/22471_0_1_2_cg%20125_Image%20credits%20-%20Honda.jpg

I ride this bad boy. Brmm Brmmm.

That's about the same size and look of my first bike, a Yamaha 400 Special. Great beginner's bike..

Madgrenade
20th May 08, 07:33 AM
CG 125. Ive had it for just over three months and I still haven't crashed. Tho I did manage to get knocked off one of these.

http://www.jydskmc.dk/ANF%20125.jpg

And I almost crashed a few other times but hey, do you want to live forever?

SuperGuido
6th June 08, 11:39 PM
I'm going to get a motorcycle in August for local traveling.

Gas is simply too costly, and public transportation is shit around here.

I did some research, and motorcycle fatalities are caused primarily by:

1. Speeding

2. Not Wearing a Helmet

3. Unlicensed/Untrained Users

---

So, I figure I can beat the odds by: Driving smart, wearing a helmet, and attending training courses. I also figure I'll be fine since I'm only traveling short distances.

Of course, shit happens.

---

Any recommendations for a beginner's bike? So far I've heard: Honda F4i and Kawasaki Ninja 250.

Madgrenade
7th June 08, 08:55 AM
Do it. A more enjoyable way to travel the roads there do not be. Don't concern yourself overmuch with the consequences if you crash. That'll leave you more space to concentrate on not crashing.

Don't be blase about it either. Statistically (in this country anyway) more riders crash on the roads they know than the roads they don't. It'll be on those short journeys that you may be tempted to leave your helmet behind or not wear you protective gear.

As for a beginners bike the world is your cupcake. There is a bike out there that is perfect for you. Things to think about are your height vs the seat height, whether you like going fast, whether you need to carry luggage (shopping/touring). The traffic where you live (do you need a streetfighter?) Fuel consumption and tank size/range.

Of those two bikes I'd go for the 600. The extra weight tends to make bigger bikes more stable. However the 250 would be cheaper to run and easier to get through traffic.

Go sit on some bikes before you choose what style you want. Whats right for your mate might not be right for you.

Get a full face helmet.

SuperGuido
8th June 08, 01:11 PM
Yesterday on my way to training I saw six motorcyclists.

-None wore full helmets

-None wore cycle armor

-None wore cycle boots

-Hell, all were wearing t-shirts, shorts, and tennis shoes.

Granted, this is Orange County...but no wonder motorcycle fatalities are so common.

Morons.

SpringHeeledJack
8th June 08, 01:20 PM
Morons.You take that back. It's too hot for a jacket and helmet.

SuperGuido
8th June 08, 08:40 PM
You take that back. It's too hot for a jacket and helmet.

It was really nice knowing you during your time here, and I hope you get to meet your biological parents before you die horribly.

SpringHeeledJack
8th June 08, 09:30 PM
Thanks. I love you too...

In all seriousness, I know it's stupid, and I'm a moron for it, but I really do rarely wear a helmet. I grew up riding dirt bikes and never wore a helmet. Now when I try to wear one it feels so awkward and I hate it. I'm thinking the first step will be to get a good, well-fitting helmet instead of some cheap-o POS like I have now.

SpringHeeledJack
17th June 08, 07:53 AM
So, I don't know what the fuck's been going on around here lately, but there seem to be a bunch of shitty-driving fucktards who either don't pay attention or either just have no respect for motorcyclists. Over the past two days I've had 5 close calls. Three of which were very close (I was able to kick a dent in one asshole's hood before I sped off). These events have made me reconsider my views on helmets, and I've bitten the bullet and ordered one (http://i2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/391/136/36/0114-0135-02.jpg) I will actually wear. My face is way to pretty to get fucked up due to some asshole's negligence. I think I'll actually start wearing my protective jacket as well, even though it reaches around 100 degrees here pretty much every day.

KhorneliusPraxx
17th June 08, 08:48 AM
I ride my bike to work...and by bike I mean bicycle.

Neildo
17th June 08, 11:06 AM
So, I don't know what the fuck's been going on around here lately, but there seem to be a bunch of shitty-driving fucktards who either don't pay attention or either just have no respect for motorcyclists. Over the past two days I've had 5 close calls. Three of which were very close (I was able to kick a dent in one asshole's hood before I sped off). These events have made me reconsider my views on helmets, and I've bitten the bullet and ordered one (http://i2.iofferphoto.com/img/item/391/136/36/0114-0135-02.jpg) I will actually wear. My face is way to pretty to get fucked up due to some asshole's negligence. I think I'll actually start wearing my protective jacket as well, even though it reaches around 100 degrees here pretty much every day.

excellent.

my friend has a jacket by joe rocket that is all brand new space age fabrics n shit. it's super light and really well ventilated, you could probably wear it over a wifebeater.

OZZ
17th June 08, 11:17 AM

Cannot go wrong with Shoei, my man..

Zendetta
17th June 08, 02:55 PM
So, I figure I can beat the odds by: Driving smart, wearing a helmet, and attending training courses. I also figure I'll be fine since I'm only traveling short distances.

Since you live in the Greatest State, you MUST attend this:
http://www.ca-msp.org/RiderCourse_Locations/brc.asp

Its the best two hundred dollars you will ever spend if you ride motorcycles. Even seasoned riders swear by this course. It may well spare your loved ones the pain of a closed casket funeral.

KhorneliusPraxx
17th June 08, 03:22 PM
Indiana doesn't have a helmet law for motorcycles but my local city was trying to pass one for bicycles. If I ever get ticketed for riding my bicycle while a greasy, noise poluting, Harley rider rolls by, I will go apeshit. Hopefully, a lawyer would step up and defend my ass for free.

SpringHeeledJack
17th June 08, 03:58 PM
Cannot go wrong with Shoei, my man..

I hope not, considering how much the damn thing costs.

OZZ
17th June 08, 08:14 PM
I hope not, considering how much the damn thing costs.

Yeah, they are pricey, but they are the best in my opinion.I paid $200.00 back in 1990 for a brand-new Shoei.
I almost clutched my chest a couple of years back when I was at Inglis Cycle and I saw how much they had gone up..

SpringHeeledJack
17th June 08, 08:23 PM
Yeah, the one I'm getting is over $400. I can't complain too much though, because my GF bought it for me (I'm spoiled).

When I had my CBR back in 2000, I had a really nice Arai helmet, but somewhere between then and now I lost it.

The one I have now is a Vega, and it is a big, ugly, uncomfortable POS. I guess that's what I get for buying an $80 helmet.

Madgrenade
18th June 08, 09:16 AM
I hope you tried it on before you ordered it. A $4oo helmet that doesn't fit is worth a lot less than a $8o one that does.

SuperGuido
18th June 08, 03:28 PM
Since you live in the Greatest State, you MUST attend this:
http://www.ca-msp.org/RiderCourse_Locations/brc.asp

Its the best two hundred dollars you will ever spend if you ride motorcycles. Even seasoned riders swear by this course. It may well spare your loved ones the pain of a closed casket funeral.

June 27th is my class, and July 5th and 6th are my road training days.

I figure that after the course, I'll know if I have the balls to actually ride a motorcycle.

SpringHeeledJack
18th June 08, 04:56 PM
I hope you tried it on before you ordered it. A $4oo helmet that doesn't fit is worth a lot less than a $8o one that does.Not the exact model, but I tried on a few MX helmets and a few street helmets of the same brand in order to gauge the fit the best I could. Nowhere around here stocks the one I wanted. I guess we'll see what happens.

Zendetta
18th June 08, 06:26 PM
June 27th is my class, and July 5th and 6th are my road training days.

Awesome. You won't regret it. I did the course like two years ago and really enjoyed it. It was well organized and really thorough - good for avoiding building bad habits and noob mistakes.

Madgrenade
23rd June 08, 12:48 PM
I just read another thread that reminded me of this.

I got chatting to this woman from Canada. She told me that if, in Canada, the Police were to catch you filtering through traffic, they would ban your ass from driving for life! WTF! Tell me it's not true. Because thats just stupid.

Neildo
23rd June 08, 07:37 PM
I don't think any court in canada would ban you for life for driving like an asshole, because if they did our streets would be barren. the only penalty you would likely pay for that kind of driving is head trauma, because you'll get cut off by some inattentive idiot. just don't drink and drive, but that should be a given.

Madgrenade
4th March 09, 09:00 AM
"According to CNN, from November 2007 to October 2008, a record 25 Marines were killed in sport bike crashes, which exceeded the Marine combat death tally during the same time period in Iraq."

Just thought I'd share this interesting fact with you. Now we know who the REAL heroes are.

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/MCN/News/newsresults/user/2009/March/Landmark-motorcycle-crash-causation-study-progressing-slowly-in-Americas-heartland/?&R=EPI-106596

Kein Haar
4th March 09, 09:28 AM
Why yes, I'm a Pagan.

Madgrenade
10th March 09, 11:50 AM
Sorry dude. Blood for the Blood God and all that. I guess you must have scraped your fair share of these unfortunates off the road?

KhorneliusPraxx
10th March 09, 12:38 PM
I ride my bicycle to work so He-Man can lick my sweaty balls.

Halfrican
14th March 09, 01:09 AM
I ride a GT Force full suspension MTB! And a Trek 4500 hardtail, fuck motorcycles. And both of my bikes cost more than NoB's car.

Madgrenade
17th March 09, 06:37 AM
PICS!

KhorneliusPraxx
17th March 09, 02:21 PM
I ride a GT Force full suspension MTB! And a Trek 4500 hardtail, fuck motorcycles. And both of my bikes cost more than NoB's car.
both of my bikes are cheap pieces of shit but I love them anyway

cafezinho
23rd March 09, 08:33 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jmckaskle/fuoco.jpg

I've been riding this thing since July 08

cafezinho
23rd March 09, 08:45 PM
It doesn't have to try.

OZZ
24th March 09, 01:24 PM
I don't know about you guys , but I am noticing a lot more Ducati's on the road these last couple of seasons.
My friend bought one last spring and its a beauty. But they are not really all that rare anymore..

cafezinho
24th March 09, 01:35 PM
Definitely not. It's amazing, though, how many I see used listed for sale because they are too powerful for the owners. That just makes me want one even more.

OZZ
24th March 09, 08:05 PM
http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b124/jmckaskle/fuoco.jpg

I've been riding this thing since July 08

If you're trying to make me jealous its working.

Madgrenade
12th May 09, 11:15 AM
Its a backwards tricycle for tards who can't balance.
It looks like something that crawled out of the reactor in Half Life.
Not a bike.

cafezinho
12th May 09, 12:35 PM
It has a suspension lock for parking, but other than that, the two front wheels are independent of eachother.

As an unbalanced tard, you may need to look elsewhere.

Ajamil
12th May 09, 02:26 PM
Not a rider (I have this thing against wind), but why would you want two front wheels that move independently of each other?

Adouglasmhor
12th May 09, 06:25 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1070113/ural03101501.jpg

Not the best idea in a country where it rains as often as here but it's great fun and I have just started riding to work again instead of driving. It's not the fastest bike on the road but maintenance is easy and it's cheap to insure. They are not importing them just now into Europe so I am a bit concerned about spares.

Adouglasmhor
12th May 09, 06:28 PM
Not a rider (I have this thing against wind), but why would you want two front wheels that move independently of each other?

cuts stopping distance, cornering without skidding etc.

Halfrican
12th May 09, 11:04 PM
I ride this bad boy:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/gt-force-3-08.jpg

And around town I bought one of these:

http://www.chrisabraham.com/06-bianchi-pista-thumb.jpg

cafezinho
12th May 09, 11:55 PM
The reason I went for it was because it was so unique and weird. I mean when is anything like this going to be available again? It has this Batman/HP Lovecraft vibe that really sold me. The front wheels are mounted to a parallelogram suspension which gives them vertical independence but allows the wheels to lean in and swivel in concert as a single wheel. It has a cruiser-esque lean angle, but it you can be really aggressive with the lean and cornering in ways you might not want to be on a standard motorcycle. You get twice the contact patch and a surprisingly smooth offroad ride. I've ridden two up offroading and had a blasr. When I move to Boston this year or next, I plan on getting all weather tires, if not snow tires. It's a sweet ride and would hate to see it caged up for a 9 month winter. Did I mention that she's Italian?

OZZ
14th May 09, 06:09 PM
http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2005-8/1070113/ural03101501.jpg

Not the best idea in a country where it rains as often as here but it's great fun and I have just started riding to work again instead of driving. It's not the fastest bike on the road but maintenance is easy and it's cheap to insure. They are not importing them just now into Europe so I am a bit concerned about spares.

Looks kind of like my first bike..

KhorneliusPraxx
15th May 09, 07:40 AM
I ride this bad boy:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/images/gt-force-3-08.jpg

And around town I bought one of these:

http://www.chrisabraham.com/06-bianchi-pista-thumb.jpg
yours cost more than mine...
Schwinn World Sport from the early 80s
http://oldtenspeedgallery.com/blog/wp-content/bikes/owner-submitted/hugh-schwinn-world-sport-01.jpg
Mountain Bike via Walmart
http://www.governmentauctions.org/uploaded_images/mongoose-769004.jpg

TenTigers
16th May 09, 08:42 AM
I have a '73 H-D FLH Shovelhead old skool chop-not one of those glam bikes. I just changed the front end back to stock-used to be raked,and eight inches over, drum front brake (which means no front brake as those things ain't worth shit for stopping) Now I have stock front end with disc brake. Wow, what a concept-stopping and handling. Still have the apes, shotgun pipes, and the bike is lowered about two inches. The motor is bored out to 89" from 74" stroked (S&S stroker kid) and has a new cam,S&S Super E carb.
It's not a racer, but it will get me on and off the expressway and out of trouble if I need to get on it. Will post pics when I figure out how.

Adouglasmhor
16th May 09, 04:03 PM
Looks kind of like my first bike..

Its a Ural Wolf

Japuma
18th May 09, 10:19 PM
This will be in my driveway next month: (not this exact one)
http://www.centralmotorcycles.com.au/persistent/catalogue_images/products/CIMG2639.JPG
1969 Triumph Bonneville T120R, Soooooo sexy

Kein Haar
19th May 09, 07:41 AM
Who here can pop a wheelie?

Neildo
19th May 09, 01:52 PM
i can do short manuals on my oversize bmx, and longer ones on the hybrid because i can gear down. not that well though.

Madgrenade
29th March 10, 12:29 PM
Not enough motorbikes get discussed on this forum. Pedal cyles are not motor vehicles and belong in CTC. I can pops ze wheelies, but I find it hard to balance the. Wheelies are usually a sign that you are accelerating a bit to fast away from those lights and need to reign it in. Motorcycles and those who ride them rule. That is all.

http://www.motorevue.com/article/article/suzuki-gsx-1250-fa-2010--43696-1-zoom.jpg

Latest news check out this the Suzuki 1250gsxf on sale in the U.K for less than SEVEN GRAND brand new! Essentially a faired bandit there is no comparable sports tourer available at anywhere near that price. I want one!

Adouglasmhor
29th March 10, 03:40 PM
Sold my Ural Wolf late summer last year as I had a chance to get this.
http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a193/bigdougie/100_0317.jpg

A life long Harley rider had bought it dropped it and found it too hairy so garaged it for years, only sold it to make room for a trike to go with his bike. Only 3800 miles on it when I got it.

Madgrenade
30th March 10, 05:47 AM
Nice find! Don't see many of them prowling around. Probably all been crashed!

OZZ
30th March 10, 02:24 PM
That's a nice bike..they are a bit more common around here though.
I seem to remember seeing a lot of sharp-looking bikes when I was in Scotland a few years back. In particular, when I was in Inverness..there were a lot of motorcycle enthusiast's there in August.
The highways in that country with all the hills and valleys certainly make for good riding.
A friend of mine in Toronto showed me a pic on his celphone of a custom bike his boss had made..I wish I could show you guys..it was a nice cross between a sport and a cruiser with some really cool one-of-a-kind chrome designs and artwork on the sides. I think it cost him upwards of $14,000 .

Madgrenade
6th April 10, 06:01 AM
^^^^

Are you sure you aren't confusing that one with the four cylindr GSXr 600 & 1000? Are the v twins popular in the states? The Gixxer has a similar fairing paint scheme and are fairly ubiquitous everywhere.

OZZ
7th April 10, 09:35 AM
Isn't the bike pictured just a European version of the GSXR 750? Or is there something different about it?I thought the GSX's were all Vtwin's but maybe I am wrong..

Madgrenade
7th April 10, 10:33 AM
No all the Gixxers are fours.

OZZ
7th April 10, 11:03 AM
So what is the bike pictured comparable to in North American terms? A 750 or 1000 ? Im sorry < Im confused because it just looks like a standard GSXR ..

Madgrenade
7th April 10, 11:20 AM
As far as I can make out from the pic it's a TLR1000. (Adouglasmhor amirite?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_TL1000R

Nicknamed the widow maker. Lol stay safe yeah. It is like a GSX but with a different engine.

OZZ
7th April 10, 11:33 AM
Widow maker..? Oh, man ..that is so bad.

Madgrenade
7th April 10, 12:16 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v127/WallaceRL/P8060017.jpg

Did some reading, and the above is the real widowmaker. The TL1000S model of 1997. Apparently in order to accomodate the length of the twin pistons the " engineers separated the rear shock absorber/damper from the spring. The spring was located on the right side of the bike and Suzuki developed and employed a rotary style rear damper that provided its damping characteristics through rotating arms. A similar version was also used on the TLR. The rear shock was similar to suspension dampers used on F1 race cars, but didn't adequately address that motorcycles require longer suspension travel. As a result, the rotary damper did not have enough oil to handle the rigors of motorcycle duty and would quickly overheat. "

This and other design flaws caused a recall but by then the damage was done and subsequent sales were "sub optimal". And that is why this bike is so rare.

Adouglasmhor
7th April 10, 01:03 PM
As far as I can make out from the pic it's a TLR1000. (Adouglasmhor amirite?)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suzuki_TL1000R

Nicknamed the widow maker. Lol stay safe yeah. It is like a GSX but with a different engine.

It's aTL100r but the steering dampers have been removed on mine (which stops the wobble) and I spent a bit on a new back shock which made it a much better ride.

My mate has a GSXR 1000 and it's a different bike to ride entirely. With mine you have to be heavy to stop it wheelying sometimes.

It does scare me though. The S got the name widowmaker because the first journo to test drive it in the UK died on it. But the R has the same design of rotary short stroke damper.

Adouglasmhor
7th April 10, 01:09 PM
Oh and an R has an alloy beam frame (AKA conventional frame) and an S has a ladder or trellis frame.

OZZ
15th February 12, 08:44 AM
So guess what my best friend went out and did the other day ?
He and his wife like playing ' keep up with the jones's ' ...so he went out and signed his life away to a $19,000 Harley.
No coincidence another one of our friends ( and the one he has always idolized) just got one last year.
I was with him when he 'bought' it. I use the term lightly because he still may back out, he only put a $1000 deposit on it.
His payments through the shop will be $259 a month and by the time he is finished paying he will have paid about $7,000 in interest.
Do I think he's a moron ?
Yes. HD's are overpriced and he hasn't ridden in years.
Is there a backstory ?
Well, his wife is very concerned with appearances..she has a pretty good job, but they are up to their eyeballs in debt with the house and just had a little girl (she's 2). Isn't going out and getting yourself a $20,000 toy a bit selfish when you have a young one to consider ?
Strangely enough, when he picked me up at the train station, we were driving to his place and he told me he was considering opening his own auto body shop ( he's a painter). Then he goes and does this ..
This is my buddy the actor..and his career has been anything but stellar lately. He's having a bit of a mid life crisis and I feel for him. I just think he overdid it..you don't need to spend that much on a motorcycle when all you are going to do is drive to work and back - which he admitted is mostly what he plans to do. He has no long cruises planned or anything, I'm sure he will hook up with Jeff and do some riding..but they don't live in the same city.
He tried to talk me into buying one earlier in the day. Of course, he suggested I buy some little piece of shit so I could look like a chump beside him on his big hog lol,
If I wasn't going to go to Greece this spring, I would maybe consider it. The Iron 883 is only $9,000 -probably $12,000 with taxes and freight. That may be an option..but there is no way in hell I would spend $20,000 on a motorcycle unless I had money to burn.
Am I jealous ?
Actually, only a little. I think its incredibly stupid to pay through their payment plan and accrue that much interest. If you can't get it through your bank with a reasonable rate of interest...you shouldn't buy it imo.
He overdid it. he's unhappy with his life because he isn't progressing as an actor, his wife knows and is afraid he will leave her or be a miserable prick all the time ..so she lets him get this bike. And she is letting him get it, because there is no way he would be able to afford it if he was on his own, she is the one who makes the big money - in relative terms.

Spade: The Real Snake
15th February 12, 10:29 AM
I am, admittedly, far too much of a coward to ever ride a motorcycle.

My uncle was an Air Force Captain, and a pilot, who was shot down over Vietnam and lost in the jungle for 3 days. Never talked much about it but one of my earliest memories was his getting into a motorcycle wreck and it just stuck.

When I was 20 or so and in college, a buddy of mine and I went to see some movie which had some dudes in motorcycles. My buddy was convinced we should get a couple of Springer Softails and go for a tour.

We even went so far as to visiting a couple of dealers....OZZ can correct me but I seem to recall the price was going to be $7900. I cocktucked and backed out.

resolve
15th February 12, 01:27 PM
Snake?

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/429153_10150559742647362_729497361_8811573_2034505 501_n.jpg

15th February 12, 01:37 PM
Snake?
http://www.badmovies.org/movies/coolasice/coolasice8.jpg

maxin' w/ shorty

Harpy
15th February 12, 06:48 PM
I made my husband sell his bike a few years ago but whenever we're on holidays he'll hire one and it's so much fun to travel that way.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
15th February 12, 08:18 PM
^cunt

Harpy
15th February 12, 09:36 PM
So how was Valentines Day MJS?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
16th February 12, 06:10 AM
ended in sex

16th February 12, 07:54 AM
were you involved?