PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Hero's

Artful Dentures
5th March 08, 10:11 PM
In light of the passing of Jeff Healy you will rate and post vids of your top 5 guitar heros

My list

1)

Stevie Ray Vaughn
Couldn't stand the Weather
kwhUjFoHwS4

Doc Watson
Windy and Warm (with son Merle)
TILbEd-U3sM

Jimi Hendrix
Are you experienced (well are you? ARE YOU??)
W4yZXb4aD2Q

Ry Cooder - Best damn Bottle neck slide player ever!!!
Crossroads duel (can't find Rys full version fo the actual crossroads song) Ry plays Ralph Machios part. However Machio's end part is Steve Vai - who is pretty awesome as well. Ry arranged the movie though. Ry gets the most booming slide sound ever Cross roads sound track is awesome
S8kxaP59QQY

And of course Jeff Healy

6EVW-ABiMmI

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
5th March 08, 10:29 PM
srv SUCKS

WarPhalange
6th March 08, 12:41 AM
Don't care much for guitar heroes. The whole idea is very stupid.

Now, bass heroes is more like it.

Too bad there really aren't any. :(

mrblackmagic
6th March 08, 12:41 AM
5. Buckethead
4. Robby Krieger
3. Steve Iommi
2. Yngwie Malmsteen
1. Robert Johnson

Deadmeat
6th March 08, 01:16 AM
Micheal Angelo Batio
Yngwie Malmsteen
Marty Friedman
Nuno Bettencourt
Joe Satriani

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th March 08, 01:49 AM
This thread keeps getting worse and worse

WarPhalange
6th March 08, 01:50 AM
Because you keep making more and more posts in it. STFU and GTFO.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th March 08, 02:07 AM
Because you keep making more and more posts in it. STFU and GTFO.

How about I list tasteful guitar players (about five of them and in no particular order) and you suck my dick.

Django Reinhardt (of course)
1DcMHrKklZM

Charlie Christian, who was the first widely-accepted proponent of the electric guitar and single-string guitar soloing. Thank this man.
z-U1-AB_vnM

Oscar Aleman:
trs744yII-I

Eddie Lang. First responsible for popularizing the guitar in pop and jazz music as a major factor is displacing the tenor banjo:
qMwUuS4CFT8

Andres Segovia, who influenced Eddie Lang, with Eddie Lang going on to influence Django Reinhardt, and Reinhardt possibly influencing Charlie Christian, and is the father of modern classical guitar technique:
JfM2Jal_BPs

Lonnie Johnson:
-zKmev3kQhA

Grant Green:
k9oNHowrg4w

I posted seven, because I'm a motherfucking rebel. These are all fantastic guitar players with repertoires that extend beyond pyrotechnics and pentatonic scales.

EvilSteve
6th March 08, 10:54 AM

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/829/jbbootsy0ng.jpg
Bootsy Collins?

Shawarma
6th March 08, 12:15 PM

Not to worry, they're working on Gay Fellatio Heroes for the Wii. You're gonna rule at that game!

TM
6th March 08, 12:53 PM

How many country bass players does it take to change a lightbulb?
They don't. The piano player does it with his left hand.

WarPhalange
6th March 08, 01:07 PM
Hold on, I completely forgot about James Jamerson and Jaco.

Riddeck
6th March 08, 06:34 PM

Aye, Jaco...

Tony Levin, if you are into the prog rock scene

Cliff Burton, for the real 80's music

Billy Sheehans pretty awesome as well.

(I would go onto Martin Mendez from Opeth being in my personal list)

Jack Bruce was pretty rad (Listening to him and Clapton go at it..good shit)

As for guitarists...

Steve Vai is big on my 'guitar hero's' list, just because I really enjoy his work.

I suppose I could name a few, but yeah.

Furthermore, I am really beginning to wonder about how 'real' you actually are MJS.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th March 08, 10:45 PM
real? man you don't know real. you haven't seen what i've seen. heard what i've heard.

WarPhalange
6th March 08, 10:51 PM
Cliff Burton, for the real 80's music

Bah, he wasn't anything special. He was a good composer, to be sure, but his bass playing was as basic as you could get. He just stuck to the root and was overshadowed by the guitars.

I much prever David Ellefson from Megadeth over Burton.

Yeah, he's ok. Not my stuff (too wanky), but might as well post it.

OekKtvTCQBs&feature=related

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th March 08, 11:04 PM
Man, that's so cool, they picked up shredding and tapping decades after it became passe among jazz guitarists. Oh man it's like Frank Zappa but I can relate to it because there's explosions this is awesome.

WarPhalange
6th March 08, 11:09 PM
MJS, you are a funny guy, but not intentionally. You claim to be this music guru, but really, you're like those Kung Fu dorks that only do the kata and know the theory.

You completely forget that Jazz and Rock or Metal sound COMPLETELY FUCKING DIFFERENT, even if they use the same tools. I know, I know, it's hard for you to understand that concept of emotion and, dare I say, sound. All you care about are technique and chord progressions.

I mean fuck, in the Early 1900's they used the same instruments as Jazz players do know. So fuck those ripoff artists. Everybody should be playing shitty ballads, because it came first, therefore it is the best.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th March 08, 11:38 PM
I was just giving Riddeck a hard time, actually.

WarPhalange
6th March 08, 11:45 PM
You can do that without being a dumbass.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th March 08, 11:53 PM
Except that it's true. As usual, popular music was lagging behind jazz and all of a sudden WOW it's stuff that people already experimented with and moved on. Which is fine, and happens a lot in pop music. Even The Beatles were a vocal jive group twenty years too late but they were able to grow and expand as musicians and left their own impact on pop music that wasn't laid out years before by more talented and not necessarily jazz bands.

But they forgot to cop their lines from Frank Zappa and Kenny Burrel (you know, the musical substance that you just said was so important), and that's why most of the 80s is best left unremembered, along with people who can't tell that it's not the 80s (sup EVH and MAB).

WarPhalange
7th March 08, 12:01 AM
The music INFLUENCED later genres, it is NOT the same thing as trying to BE that genre.

Notice how Jazz sounds different than Metal or Rock or Pop? There's a reason for that, you know. That's my whole point. It doesn't matter who or when you take something from a genre, what's important is how you implement it to your own music.

I'd rather listen to 80's Metal than 80's Jazz. 80's was the golden age of metal (not hair metal like EVH, but actual metal).

I don't see why you're so bitchy that people are emulating jazz, either. Shouldn't that be a good thing?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th March 08, 12:05 AM
I think you're missing the point. This thread is about guitar heroes, yet several of the entries are glorified cover artists of more talented players (I'm looking at you SRV), many others are hailed for innovations that they're not even responsible for, and few have had any sense of musicality, which is more important than technique anyway and utterly lacking in 80s metal. And a lot of 80s jazz, for that matter.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th March 08, 12:14 AM
Some day Poop Loops will realize that there's space in music and be hailed as a fantastic innovator of something that everyone else knew about since the dawn of time.

WarPhalange
7th March 08, 01:33 AM
and few have had any sense of musicality, which is more important than technique anyway and utterly lacking in 80s metal.

Ignore whatever shitty game this is:

zKVZUFtB_38

Nry6P1mm7T8

And a lot of 80s jazz, for that matter.

I haven't heard any recent jazz from you. Has it been stagnating like all the other genres lately?

WarPhalange
7th March 08, 01:34 AM
Some day Poop Loops will realize that there's space in music and be hailed as a fantastic innovator of something that everyone else knew about since the dawn of time.

Right. Let's ignore the fact that some forms of music don't want space. Let's say some piece of art is objectively better than another, despite not having much in common with it. (i.e. it's not more technical or simply faster, it's different)

Riddeck
7th March 08, 01:57 AM
Bah, he wasn't anything special. He was a good composer, to be sure, but his bass playing was as basic as you could get. He just stuck to the root and was overshadowed by the guitars.

I much prever David Ellefson from Megadeth over Burton.

Yeah, he's ok. Not my stuff (too wanky), but might as well post it.

OekKtvTCQBs&feature=related

Cliff was only the heart and soul of Metallica, which then brings me to SRV that MJS is so intent on hating on. The guy had passion. Played with feeling. Emotion. That is why SRV was great. Not his technical ability, but the passion and energy he was part of , when he played.

Ellefson is an awesome bassist, but Cliff is the reason I ever picked up a bass. When I graduated highschool I purchased an 83 Rickenbacker 4003 series (he used a 4002 earlier on) as a present for myself. She is a beautiful, beautiful piece of wood.

Sheehans a lot of fun to watch, especially when he is jamming with Steve Vai. They work very, very well together.

Orion, rocks, btw.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th March 08, 08:17 AM
Ignore whatever shitty game this is:

[yt]zKVZUFtB_38[yt]

[yt]Nry6P1mm7T8[yt]

touchy-feely acoustic music and some butt-rock?

I haven't heard any recent jazz from you. Has it been stagnating like all the other genres lately?

Since the 70s (about the time Louis Armstrong died, incidentally) jazz has been taken a downturn on the national level, and with a few exceptions (Thelonious Monk and Miles Davis died in '82, Cab Calloway in '88) has been represented by a bunch of corny assholes selling swingless adult contemporary. Good jazz musicians are mostly at local and regional levels and currently nothing but free jazz (which is annoying as hell) is going anywhere.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th March 08, 08:18 AM
When I graduated highschool I purchased an 83 Rickenbacker 4003 series (he used a 4002 earlier on) as a present for myself. She is a beautiful, beautiful piece of wood.

Too bad no one can hear it!

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th March 08, 08:29 AM
Right. Let's ignore the fact that some forms of music don't want space. Let's say some piece of art is objectively better than another, despite not having much in common with it. (i.e. it's not more technical or simply faster, it's different)

Space is part of phrasing, phrasing is integral to musicality. This isn't art versus art, it's art versus someone painting corny landscapes really really fast.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th March 08, 08:42 AM
http://www.zshare.net/audio/8600882b536543/

how exciting. how fast. how modern. how much space there is.

Commodore Pipes
7th March 08, 09:39 AM

Uh oh...

Here it comes...

WHAT ARE YOUR CRIMES?

TM
7th March 08, 11:42 AM
Space is part of phrasing, phrasing is integral to musicality. This isn't art versus art, it's art versus someone painting corny landscapes really really fast.

I'm stealing this and telling everyone.

WarPhalange
7th March 08, 03:10 PM
touchy-feely acoustic music and some butt-rock?

You didn't actually listen to them, did you?

Since the 70s (about the time Louis Armstrong died, incidentally) jazz has been taken a downturn on the national level, and with a few exceptions (Thelonious Monk and Miles Davis died in '82, Cab Calloway in '88) has been represented by a bunch of corny assholes selling swingless adult contemporary. Good jazz musicians are mostly at local and regional levels and currently nothing but free jazz (which is annoying as hell) is going anywhere.

That's good to hear. The best thing I can hope for is for you to get stuck in the 30's and 40's and leave everybody else alone.

WarPhalange
7th March 08, 03:18 PM

It's art vs. art.

It's essentially:

http://www.europafest.com/l-diversen/mondriaan-02k.jpg

vs.

http://www.arttoheartweb.com/images/Van_Gogh_Starry_Night.jpg

Or something very similar. One is very simple, the other isn't. One is very "tight" and "crisp", the other isn't, it's almost flowing into itself.

Or you want an example of something that is repetative, but fast?

http://www.crw.org/tours/Yucatan/people_on_stairs.jpg

It's just a flight of stairs on some blocks. But it looks cool.

kismasher
7th March 08, 04:18 PM
Guitar Hero's, random ones that i like

Jerry Garcia
Ben Harper
Tom Morello
Muddy
Derek Trucks
Duane Allman
Clint Strong

just to name a few...

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th March 08, 06:36 PM
You didn't actually listen to them, did you?

Sure did. Too corny. Music needs to be fun and sexy.

It's art vs. art.

You have two artists. One is thoughtful about his work, carefully selecting from his artist repertoire to make a thoughful composition. The other hurls paints at a canvas, says it's abstract, and gets his balls slobbered on by tasteless hipsters.

WarPhalange
7th March 08, 07:15 PM
Sure did. Too corny. Music needs to be fun and sexy.

I don't want my music to be fun and sexy. That's the whole point behind something like Metal or Grunge.

You have two artists. One is thoughtful about his work, carefully selecting from his artist repertoire to make a thoughful composition. The other hurls paints at a canvas, says it's abstract, and gets his balls slobbered on by tasteless hipsters.

I know, those jazz fuckers need to get on the ball and actually COMPOSE instead of playing fucking random notes at random times and calling it "jazz".

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th March 08, 08:05 PM
sup guys i just got into playing metal. it's so awesome, i don't even have to worry about note selection you can just truck on through whatever scales match your key

WarPhalange
7th March 08, 09:31 PM
sup guys i'm MJS, i believe music is objective and it just so happens that mine is the best ever. no, i'm not like every other 16 year old. what are you talking about?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th March 08, 10:57 PM
You could argue whether Louis Armstrong or Bix Beiderbecke was a better cornetist, or whether Sydney Bechet or John Coltrane was a better saxophonist. You cannot argue that nearly any metal musician is musically equal to any of these men because each of them explored harmonic possibilities that don't even exist in metal.

WarPhalange
7th March 08, 11:32 PM
That's funny, because I can argue the exact thing against jazz.

Show me a jazz song that is angry. Are jazz players just incapable of it?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th March 08, 11:56 PM
That's funny, because I can argue the exact thing against jazz.

Uh, no you cant? Because everything within the 12-tone system works in jazz if you're cool enough to make it work.

Show me a jazz song that is angry. Are jazz players just incapable of it?

This is the soundtrack to the jazz musical "The Real Ambassadors", written in the wake of several jazz musicians both black and white very openly criticizing the American government and refusing to play government sponsored world tours, mostly to Soviet countries or countries in danger of falling to the Soviets, in order to spread American culture, after the American government continually waffled on race issues. It's a concept album (one of the first), and deals with the Civil Rights Movement, the Cold War, religion, and a few other themes. This is more sardonic than angry, perhaps.

http://rapidshare.com/files/70432225/11A-DBrubeck-RealAmbassadors.rar

This is in contrast to most jazz songs, which were largely about sex and drugs, though they're by no means the first jazz protest songs. That credit probably goes to Shine, written in the wake a New York City race riot.

eM7dQNx13BA

But that's not angry at all. Maybe you mean something like Shaw 'Nuff, which I posted earlier in this thread. Or maybe you're looking for some angst, which, being that jazz is adult music written to adult sensibilities, perhaps you're just not mature enough.

WarPhalange
8th March 08, 12:18 AM
Uh, no you cant? Because everything within the 12-tone system works in jazz if you're cool enough to make it work.

Yes, and the dreaded D# note doesn't work in Metal? Or what?

But that's not angry at all. Maybe you mean something like Shaw 'Nuff, which I posted earlier in this thread. Or maybe you're looking for some angst, which, being that jazz is adult music written to adult sensibilities, perhaps you're just not mature enough.

This is pure gold. A 16-year-old muppet living in the white suburbs and going to high-school is lecturing me on being mature.

I assume Animaniacs are mature then, right? So is Freakazoid? Because it would be awefully hypocritical of you to call someone immature while being immature yourself.

WarPhalange
8th March 08, 12:20 AM
Yeah, I admit, Shaw Nuff is pretty angry. It made me want to do my angry dance.

You know, the one that doesn't exist.

Is there ANY jazz that doesn't sound happy?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8th March 08, 01:01 AM
your music sucks because it isn't ANGRY p.s. ur imatur

WarPhalange
8th March 08, 02:06 AM
your music sucks because it isn't ANGRY p.s. ur imatur
Oh noes! I'm MJS and I love to make false dichotomies!

Nevermind the fact that PL has stated that he enjoys Jazz, he is clearly saying it sucks! Or at least I'll take anything he says out of context to make it seem so! Why should I acknowledge that different people with different tastes like different music, when I can just claim that Jazz is objectively better and pretend I'm superior?

Riddeck
8th March 08, 03:48 AM
You could argue whether Louis Armstrong or Bix Beiderbecke was a better cornetist, or whether Sydney Bechet or John Coltrane was a better saxophonist. You cannot argue that nearly any metal musician is musically equal to any of these men because each of them explored harmonic possibilities that don't even exist in metal.

You clearly have not listened to bands like Dream Theater, or Symphony X. Or Queensryche for that matter.

There is nothing impossible in 'metal'.

You seriously, need to shut the hell up before you look back on your 16-17 year old self and wonder where things went awry.

Kein Haar
8th March 08, 03:53 AM
Teh LOUIS Armgonstsng is the f1rst gitarre hero (p.s. that's how the orignal spelling of guitar was spelt!!!11 IDIOTS! I may b azian but i also no alot about espana...that's spansish for spain and where gittarras come from:"

G0d...why do I have to explain this to you idiots all the time? I don't eeven like pentatonic scales eventough I'm azian and that's where it came from1!!1111

Artful Dentures
8th March 08, 10:28 AM
Modern Jazz is mostly music you have to convince yourself you like.

The old stuff is OK but technically speaking it's influence is only half the picture.

Country flat pickers have had a huge influence on early rock and as such modern rock.

And MJS no more SRV cracks cause you know shit all about anything in the universe.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8th March 08, 10:40 AM
Oh noes! I'm MJS and I love to make false dichotomies!

Nevermind the fact that PL has stated that he enjoys Jazz, he is clearly saying it sucks! Or at least I'll take anything he says out of context to make it seem so! Why should I acknowledge that different people with different tastes like different music, when I can just claim that Jazz is objectively better and pretend I'm superior?

Actually, the discussion was about the musicians being objectively more talented and the genre requiring a greater knowledge of the mechanics of music.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8th March 08, 10:55 AM
Country flat pickers have had a huge influence on early rock and as such modern rock.

Early rock developed out of jive jazz, blues, rhythm and blues (which was nothing like the modern genre), gospel, and yes, country - except that the modern concept of flatpicking comes after the development of rock n' roll and at best you could slide in some sort of proto-flatpicking influence.

And MJS no more SRV cracks cause you know shit all about anything in the universe.

SRV is an overrated Hendrix cover player and a corny ass white man riding the Elvis phenomenon.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8th March 08, 10:59 AM
There is nothing impossible in 'metal'.

High distortion precludes the use of extended chords, and even when the distortion isn't turned on the extended chords aren't there. This affects the soloist's lines, or would if they payed any damn attention to the chords.

Riddeck
8th March 08, 01:52 PM
High distortion precludes the use of extended chords, and even when the distortion isn't turned on the extended chords aren't there. This affects the soloist's lines, or would if they payed any damn attention to the chords.

Again, my previous statement still stands.

You clearly need to get your head out of the box it is in, because you are missing out.

WarPhalange
8th March 08, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry, this is where I call BS on you.

Remember our discussion of bassists? Remember how I said they only played quarter notes and outlined chords? And you got all butthurt and said it's because they were limited by the instrument?

Well how is this any different? The distortion gives a whole new range of possible sounds and feelings, while limiting extended chords. It's different, but how is it worse exactly?

That's your entire schtick. Genres that don't sound like jazz = shit. You're an uppitty little bitch just like any other 16 year old who thinks their genre is superior.

Kiko
8th March 08, 03:22 PM
Tony Levin for sure.

Steve howe & Chris Squire of course.

I don't care if anyone else likes 'em or not and you can find your OWN youtube!

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8th March 08, 03:31 PM
I'm sorry, this is where I call BS on you.

Remember our discussion of bassists? Remember how I said they only played quarter notes and outlined chords? And you got all butthurt and said it's because they were limited by the instrument?

Well how is this any different? The distortion gives a whole new range of possible sounds and feelings, while limiting extended chords. It's different, but how is it worse exactly?

Because I was joking. The bassists aren't limited to any particular notes (although they don't have a lot of sustain to work with), you just have retarded ears. Maybe you'd like to listen to it again:

2u04g7RuMz4

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8th March 08, 03:34 PM
Again, my previous statement still stands.

You clearly need to get your head out of the box it is in, because you are missing out.

You're going to have to show me the metal band that uses dim7, +7, 7#9, mmaj, or maj13#11 chords.

WarPhalange
8th March 08, 03:34 PM
Yeah, all I heard were quarter notes outlining chords. Isn't that what I just said?

WarPhalange
8th March 08, 03:36 PM
You're going to have to show me the metal band that uses dim7, +7, 7#9, mmaj, or maj13#11 chords.

Oh snap! The genre doesn't use complicated chords! It must suck then!

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8th March 08, 03:38 PM
Listen to the entire thing and pay more attention during the vocal parts.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8th March 08, 03:38 PM
Oh snap! The genre doesn't use complicated chords! It must suck then!

You must not have been paying attention when I was describing metal's limited harmonies.

WarPhalange
8th March 08, 03:39 PM
When's the last time you said something positive about any musical genre besides jazz?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8th March 08, 03:40 PM
Metal is the only genre that sucks.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8th March 08, 03:42 PM
Nevermind that I've also posted ska, reggae, rock, and folk videos before or had a motherfucking Bowie avatar for several months.

WarPhalange
8th March 08, 05:51 PM
Nevermind that I've also posted ska, reggae, rock, and folk videos before or had a motherfucking Bowie avatar for several months.

Uh huh.

Goon had an avatar of Hubbard for a while. I guess we should automatically assume he likes Hubbard?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
8th March 08, 07:03 PM
Sure should.

El Neko
8th March 08, 09:18 PM
in no particular order

The three Kings (B.B., Albert and Freddie)
SRV
Segovia
Mark Knopfler
Randy Rhoads
Clapton
EVH

damn, I could go all night with this list, this are the ones that I can remember right now

Tanhalen21
9th March 08, 12:51 AM
How come no one ever talks about Brian May? He's a fucking ASTROPHYSICIST. And he plays a sick ass guitar. That he made with his dad.

WarPhalange
9th March 08, 01:32 AM
I know. If he were here now, I would fellate him, so that maybe his seed would help me be a better scientist and musician.

Motorize
9th March 08, 02:10 AM
Here's some jazz-metal or whatever you want to call it. Happy now?

Pat Metheny - Roots of coincidence

6qQeci6tSRA

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 02:13 AM
Pat Methany sucks and it's not jazz. So no.

WarPhalange
9th March 08, 02:18 AM
That wasn't metal, either, but I on the other hand, like Pat Metheny anyway.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 02:20 AM
Fag.

Tanhalen21
9th March 08, 02:22 AM
Ah, musical snobbery at its best.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 02:22 AM
Here you go Poop Loops and Motorize, Kenny G might be more your speed.
EGtTblTR0YU
Would you like me to find you a nice pair of hot pants and a dildo?

WarPhalange
9th March 08, 02:25 AM
That guy is better than 90% of the shit you like. Know why? Because he actually has feeling in his music, it's actually going somewhere, as opposed to you going "OMG DID YOU HEAR THAT EXTREMELY COMPLICATED CHORD PROGRESSION??? MY DICK IS SO HARD!!! What? What did it sound like? Who cares! It was complicated!"

Tanhalen21
9th March 08, 02:25 AM
EGtTblTR0YU

Hahahaha. The funniest part is that I bet Kenny G gets more pussy in 1 night than you'll get in your entire life.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 02:26 AM
Pat Metheny or Kenny G?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 02:26 AM
Hahahaha. The funniest part is that I bet Kenny G gets more pussy in 1 night than you'll get in your entire life.

I don't think he gets pussy if you know what I mean.

Tanhalen21
9th March 08, 02:29 AM
Speaking of Jazz, I'm going to the Jazz in the Gardens Music Festival in Miami on Sunday. Has anyone heard anything about it?

WarPhalange
9th March 08, 02:29 AM
Pat Metheny or Kenny G?

Doesn't matter.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 02:30 AM
Kenny G plays sharp, prefers noodling in the pentatonic scale to building melodies, and can't swing.

Pat Metheny is equally corny but at least doesn't play out of key.

Troll harder, Poops.

Motorize
9th March 08, 02:32 AM
So, if its not metal and its not jazz, then WTF is it? Something origional? How dare he!

Let's see what Pat Metheny thinks about Kenny G:

(Its really long so here's the link)

http://www.jazzoasis.com/methenyonkennyg.htm

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 02:34 AM
I'm aware of that rant and, while it's absolutely true, Pat Metheny is still the Kenny G of the guitar. Which is why I made the comparison in the first place.

And it's just rock, dude.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 02:42 AM
Some more guitar heroes:

Bireli Lagrene:
FqBlpd4mxAA

Jerry Garcia:
zTwyvA7HtCs

Blind Blake:
tZXIMY9zLaI

Blind Willie McTell:
akck4E1vsrY

Charlie Patton:
yGsAh2jx6JA

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 02:44 AM
And this video because I like it.
_0tW0awXsZE

WarPhalange
9th March 08, 03:08 AM
Kenny G plays sharp, prefers noodling in the pentatonic scale to building melodies, and can't swing.

Pat Metheny is equally corny but at least doesn't play out of key.

Troll harder, Poops.

Corny? Buddy, whenever I hear your old Jazz songs is when I think "corny".

The difference between Jazz and most other genres is that other genres started by taking a feeling and trying to express it through music. Jazz lost all semblance of that when it decided using a gimmick of having complicated structure and harmonies outweighs actually conveying emotion through music. Oh no wait, that's just you.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 03:11 AM
When did I ever say complexity was the goal?

Riddeck
9th March 08, 03:37 AM
When did I ever say complexity was the goal?

Because it is all you talk about.

Playing obscure chords, and a sharp over use of the 'they just use a pentatonic scale" gimmick.

You kind of remind me of my guitarist, except for his taste is a bit different, a lot better, and he can actually play guitar.

And a video because we care.

9cadbYIzhqQ

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 03:44 AM
I never said complexity was the goal (Come on, a m7b5 isn't exactly a high-minded musical idea), but that metal was limited in its harmonic possibilities.

And the pentatonic is fine except when you use it to solo-by-numbers, which is exactly all Kenny G ever does over his fagass rhythm section. Not that you'd recognize any particular structure if I dropped it on your dick.

Riddeck
9th March 08, 04:42 AM
I never said complexity was the goal (Come on, a m7b5 isn't exactly a high-minded musical idea), but that metal was limited in its harmonic possibilities.

And the pentatonic is fine except when you use it to solo-by-numbers, which is exactly all Kenny G ever does over his fagass rhythm section. Not that you'd recognize any particular structure if I dropped it on your dick.

Yeah, Kirk Hammet (of Metallica) uses a lot of pentatonic modes for his solos. Almost exclusively.

See, you did not give a listen to my bands music, and you would have noted a song (in the preview mix had you listened it was there, and the song currently on our myspace) has a solo using a Lydian mode. It is a fantastically powerful section of music admist 'metal' (we are not metal in the sense of what I think of metal now a days, when I hear other speak of it. I guess one has to be specific, prog, speed, doom, heavy, or whatever title/genre fits).

The essential being of writing music is creating. Experimenting with what you can. Actually being able to write a song. (I see a lot of local bands, especially in the 'metal' genre that can put a sweet guitar riff together, but the song, as a whole, sucks.)

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 04:54 AM
The problem with writing in modes is that they're really just a normal scale that starts on a different note, and it's usually possible and simpler to think of them that way. An example would be, can you solo over F blues with an Eb major or an F dorian? It's easier to think Eb major than the move F major into the dorian mode and it's a tool that works with other keys.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 04:59 AM
I should add that some jazz pieces necessitate either modes or arpeggios, because the chords fit into the key in strange ways.

WarPhalange
9th March 08, 12:30 PM
A LOT of jazz pieces are written modally.

I will however agree, that settling for the pentatonic and calling it a day is lame. It's not OK to suck. But if you think a pentatonic is the best thing for that particular song, then that's what should go there. Don't go out of your way to be different.

TM
9th March 08, 01:16 PM
EGtTblTR0YU
Damn you!The only way I can get the sound of Kenny G out of my head is to listen to some Pee Wee Ellis on the Soprano.

TM
9th March 08, 01:19 PM
Metal is the only genre that sucks.
I beg to differ. A lot of opera makes the baby Jesus cry.

Artful Dentures
9th March 08, 04:56 PM
Early rock developed out of jive jazz, blues, rhythm and blues (which was nothing like the modern genre), gospel, and yes, country - except that the modern concept of flatpicking comes after the development of rock n' roll and at best you could slide in some sort of proto-flatpicking influence.

I was going to argue then I saw you said modern style of flat picking.

Bluegrass just barely predates early Rock and appalachian pickers like Doc Watson were doing "fiddle style" and "Rags" for some time.

Chuck Berry was pure country flat picking - just at a higher volume with more rhythm behind it.

However since you said "modern concept" I can see where this will lead to a debate about semantics and it's not worth it.

SRV is an overrated Hendrix cover player and a corny ass white man riding the Elvis phenomenon.

SRV is a phenomenal amazing Hendrix cover player. Did Jimi influence him? Hell yes. Can you hear it? Hell yes? Does it make him overrated or corney, hell no!

Good music is good music regardless of the obvious influences. Also Stevie had his own Texas Twang take on it that was unique.

Here's some RUDE MOOD by Stevie as a way off telling you off

KCHVpDwMS2k

And his cover of Little Wing

zAG-kX_IlUw

Keith
9th March 08, 09:34 PM
MEGA JESUS-SAMA,

In a discussion about guitarists, which you have turned into a discussion about jazz guitarists, you never, not even in passing, mentioned John MccLaughlin. Your opinion on this matter is made of pure fail. Please leave this thread and come back when you have some life experiences that matter.

Riddeck
9th March 08, 10:03 PM
MEGA JESUS-SAMA,

In a discussion about guitarists, which you have turned into a discussion about jazz guitarists, you never, not even in passing, mentioned John MccLaughlin. Your opinion on this matter is made of pure fail. Please leave this thread and come back when you have some life experiences that matter.

I want to make note that I posted a video with Paco De Lucia, Al Di Meola and John McLaughlin.

And yes, MJS is the epitome of pure fail.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 10:06 PM
Django and Bireli are more technically proficient. Charlie Christian is more important to the development of guitar as a whole. All three of them have better chops. Try again.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 10:13 PM
OH HAPKIDO KEITH I LOVE YOUR TASTE IN MUSIC

OH RIDDECK I KNOW

OH KEITH

RIDDECK...

KEITH....

RIDDECK...

mhmhmhuuun funfunfunfunf

Riddeck
9th March 08, 10:59 PM
Django and Bireli are more technically proficient. Charlie Christian is more important to the development of guitar as a whole. All three of them have better chops. Try again.

Listen to Al Di Meola talk about rhythm and ponder this proficiency.

Chronological factors should not be included into the music debate.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 11:04 PM
What chronological factors? Why is Al Di Meola relevant to McLaughlin?

Riddeck
9th March 08, 11:09 PM
OH HAPKIDO KEITH I LOVE YOUR TASTE IN MUSIC

OH RIDDECK I KNOW

OH KEITH

RIDDECK...

KEITH....

RIDDECK...

mhmhmhuuun funfunfunfunf

Do you genuinely find this clever? He obviously has a healthy respect for an amazing musician, that I had happened to post a video of. All three of those gents are accomplished in there own right.

Keith
9th March 08, 11:37 PM
W Why is Al Di Meola relevant to McLaughlin?
Epic fail.
Go away.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
9th March 08, 11:41 PM
You're upset because I like better music AND I negged you.

Riddeck
10th March 08, 12:01 AM
What chronological factors? Why is Al Di Meola relevant to McLaughlin?

Try stating that "Charlie Christian is more important to the development of guitar as a whole" is an almost moot point in most of the music being discussed here. Due to the very nature that Charlie Christian existed long before Al Di Meola. Of course he was more important. He did it first.

Keith
10th March 08, 12:35 AM
You're upset because I like better music
Hardly.
This is a masterpeice:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k79/hapkido_keith/09madonnachrist.jpg
This... it's debatable as to whether or not it is art at all, much less good art:
http://i85.photobucket.com/albums/k79/hapkido_keith/200px-Piss_Christ_by_Serrano_Andres.jpg

Just because it's innovative, doesn't mean it's better.

AND I negged you.
I hadn't even noticed untill you said something. But truely, you broke my heart there. I'm fucking crushed now.

WarPhalange
10th March 08, 12:54 AM
To elaborate a bit on my part, the reason I prefer metal to jazz is because metal (good metal) has an actual direction to it.

b2za92DQOCw

The instruments portray the emotions of the song well. It's cohesive and you know it's going somewhere.

With a lot of your examples, it's mindless wanking. Sure, you realize there's a lot more to it once you think about it. But the reason I got into music wasn't to think. I do enough thinking in math, computer science, and physics. I don't need any more thinking. The gap with my person was that I didn't have anything in the arts. I started playing music to feel. And when I listen to jazz, I can't get into it. I don't notice any feeling. Sure, there are major 3rd and other happy intervals, but the song as a whole is always all over the place. Hard to relax to if you have to stay on your toes to know what the hell is going on.

In fact, the only genre that goes all over the place like that is jazz. Dancing music needs to stay cohesive in order for people not to fall over. Opera and other orchestral music has a definite direction to it. You can easily tell if it's happy or sad, lamenting or invigorating, etc. Jazz just seems to be stuck in "ZOMG I'M ON LSD AND THE WALLS ARE MELTING!!!" mode.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 08, 12:59 AM
Try stating that "Charlie Christian is more important to the development of guitar as a whole" is an almost moot point in most of the music being discussed here. Due to the very nature that Charlie Christian existed long before Al Di Meola. Of course he was more important. He did it first.

Charlie Christian had a unique outlook on the guitar's solo voice and represented a paradigm shift for the instrument. It's not as simple as "he did it first" because he INVENTED modern electric guitar playing, laying the groundwork for your T-Bone Walkers, Wes Montgomerys and Jimi Hendrixes. Al Di Meola couldn't have done that even if he predated the Charlie Christian revolution.

Not to mention he's corny as all hell.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 08, 01:04 AM
ust because it's innovative, doesn't mean it's better.

Whom are you suggesting is better than whom?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 08, 01:04 AM
To elaborate a bit on my part, the reason I prefer metal to jazz is because metal (good metal) has an actual direction to it.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/8714490b91c27a/

Riddeck
10th March 08, 01:18 AM
Charlie Christian had a unique outlook on the guitar's solo voice and represented a paradigm shift for the instrument. It's not as simple as "he did it first" because he INVENTED modern electric guitar playing, laying the groundwork for your T-Bone Walkers, Wes Montgomerys and Jimi Hendrixes. Al Di Meola couldn't have done that even if he predated the Charlie Christian revolution.

Not to mention he's corny as all hell.

The point I am trying to make is that it could have been anyone. Charlie Christian just happened to be that man, because he was born first. It is an almost inherent bias towards any music, when bias should not be there.

This of course is not taking away from Charlie. He is talented, and obviously important.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 08, 01:29 AM
This isn't like Hendrix, who pioneered feedback and distortion concepts inherent in guitar technology, this is pioneering a whole new style of playing the instrument that everyone else copied. The concept wouldn't be the same without him.

So yes, he is far, far more important than Al Di Meola, who's impact on the instrument is pretty negligible.

Riddeck
10th March 08, 01:41 AM
This isn't like Hendrix, who pioneered feedback and distortion concepts inherent in guitar technology, this is pioneering a whole new style of playing the instrument that everyone else copied. The concept wouldn't be the same without him.

So yes, he is far, far more important than Al Di Meola, who's impact on the instrument is pretty negligible.

That is what I am saying. Debate the skill, and "listenability", not the who done what first.

I would say, however, that Al Di Meola's concept of playing 'out of time' is a rather intriguing one.

2HIY_IPIvCI

He is just an example I am using because I have not really heard him talk about it before, though I have seen him play live.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 08, 02:47 AM
He doesn't groove in that video and has a bland, sleep-inducing tone.

Oh well.

Keith
10th March 08, 08:07 AM
Riddeck,

Don't waste your time. No matter who you suggest, there will always be something unquantifiably wrong. He's corny. He's cheesey. His tone sucks. He's too predicable. He doesn't play suspended 2nd augmented 5th add 9th add flat 13th chords. He doesn't groove. He can't swing. He's not in the pocket. Etc. If it wasn't someone that MJS already listens to, something can and will be found wrong with him.

WarPhalange
10th March 08, 03:42 PM
http://www.zshare.net/audio/8714490b91c27a/

WEEDLY WEEDLY WEEDLY

All I heard was MAB on the fiddle. Where is this direction you speak of?

EvilSteve
10th March 08, 03:57 PM
Fuck guitar. Real men rock one of these:

http://cache.gizmodo.com/images/2006/04/midisword.jpg

We need a keytar heroes thread. KEYTAR! FTW!!!

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 08, 05:17 PM
Riddeck,

Don't waste your time. No matter who you suggest, there will always be something unquantifiably wrong. He's corny. He's cheesey. His tone sucks. He's too predicable. He doesn't play suspended 2nd augmented 5th add 9th add flat 13th chords. He doesn't groove. He can't swing. He's not in the pocket. Etc. If it wasn't someone that MJS already listens to, something can and will be found wrong with him.

The only people I've criticised are Al Di Meola, Kenny G, and SRV. I also made a point several posts ago that complexity isn't important and nothing I've posted is especially musically complex.

WEEDLY WEEDLY WEEDLY

All I heard was MAB on the fiddle. Where is this direction you speak of?

Think about the name of the piece, Goin' Places, and digest the guitar and violin as seperate and as collective parts. If you still don't get it, then yeah, your musical tastes might not be mature enough, in the same way a person with limited literary background might appreciate Animorphs more than Brave New World.

Artful Dentures
10th March 08, 05:22 PM
While I respect modern Jazz guitarists virtuosity I just can't stand to listen to it. All technique no soul (gross generalization but still)

Here's some Doc Watson Flatpicking. Like a drink of water on a hot day ahhhhhh

XdUrg2Cqxdw

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 08, 05:34 PM
While I respect modern Jazz guitarists virtuosity I just can't stand to listen to it. All technique no soul (gross generalization but still)

Aside from Bireli (And I admittedly don't like all of Bireli's work) most modern jazz guitarists are pretty corny. Before Bireli most of my favorites were guys from the 60s and 70s, like Grant Green, Barney Kessel, and Wes Montgomery. You also have guys like T-Bone Walker, who existed somewhere inbetween rock, blues, and jive jazz, and guys like Chuck Berry who had very little jazz outside of their Charlie Christian influences but still have the good taste.

Before Charlie Christian it was a whole different school of guitar derived from Lonnie Johnson and Eddie Lang and including Geroge Van Eps (Originator of the modern seven string guitar), Carl Kress and Dick McDonough, and of course Django Reinhardt. This school basically ended with Django Reinhardt, because Charlie Christian's guitar playing swept America and American jazz in general was what everyone wanted to play in Europe.

WarPhalange
10th March 08, 06:02 PM
Think about the name of the piece, Goin' Places, and digest the guitar and violin as seperate and as collective parts. If you still don't get it, then yeah, your musical tastes might not be mature enough, in the same way a person with limited literary background might appreciate Animorphs more than Brave New World.

If you need to have a musical background to enjoy a song, then it's shit. If you can't immediately get into it, the song has failed as a piece of entertainment, the same way a book fails if it can't capture the reader by itself. I don't want to be a fucking Level 12 Fiction Reader before I can enjoy Brave New World and I don't want to have spent weeks or months listening to other jazz pieces before I can appreciate a song.

Moreover, I understand your lame play on words. "Needs direction" "Goin' Places". Great. It's good to see you have a basic grasp of the English language. I'm proud of you, really.

But the guitar just played stoccato chords for the most part and the fiddle just well fiddled around the whole time while repeating the same motifs so you don't forget you're actually listening to the same song the whole time. It's like going on a journey where the only cohesion is that you spend 5 minutes a day inside of a Texaco. Great. Predictable bass and drums, absolutely nothing new there. So I fail to see what your point is.

Artful Dentures
10th March 08, 06:10 PM
Doc does some nice Jazzy stuff with Chet Atkins. Even Stevie Ray does some great stuff with Jazz guitar :P

To me jazz solo' augmented 5th cords and arpeggios are like salt and pepper a little goes a long way too much and it just tastes blech!

Here's SRV Jazzy sounding Riviera Paradise

6kpkSRtcrR0

How you don't like this is a mystery to me.

Artful Dentures
10th March 08, 06:23 PM
And one more SRV Jazzy influenced Golden Nugget

Lenny

BEp2QLicd9Y

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 08, 06:53 PM
If you need to have a musical background to enjoy a song, then it's shit. If you can't immediately get into it, the song has failed as a piece of entertainment, the same way a book fails if it can't capture the reader by itself. I don't want to be a fucking Level 12 Fiction Reader before I can enjoy Brave New World and I don't want to have spent weeks or months listening to other jazz pieces before I can appreciate a song.

Are you saying that neither an experienced reader nor an experienced listener will enjoy a piece of literature or music more than a layman?

Predictable bass and drums,

There weren't any bass or drums, dude. I think it's safe to say that you just don't get it.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 08, 06:57 PM
augmented 5th cords

Uh, okay, augmented chords are a necessary part of some types of movement.

arpeggios

Do you like classical music? Because the melodies are built from arpeggios. Jazz? The melodies come from arpeggios. Most rock too. An overwhelming percentage of Western music writes its melodies from the arpeggio, and this is where things like accidentals come from. Django Reinhardt, Charlie Christian, Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, and most other players build their solos either primarily or heavily from arpeggios. Just slapping down whatever scales match the key is a fairly new development.

WarPhalange
10th March 08, 09:18 PM
Are you saying that neither an experienced reader nor an experienced listener will enjoy a piece of literature or music more than a layman?

Experience shouldn't be a requirement to enjoy a piece of art.

There weren't any bass or drums, dude.

Yeah. When MAB weedles around, there is at least a rhythm guitar, bass, and drums laying a rhythm for him to play over. And what did you have here?

Deadmeat
10th March 08, 09:27 PM
On another note, this thread needs some Andy Mckee
Ddn4MGaS3N4

Artful Dentures
10th March 08, 09:55 PM
Do you like classical music? Because the melodies are built from arpeggios. Jazz? The melodies come from arpeggios. Most rock too. An overwhelming percentage of Western music writes its melodies from the arpeggio, and this is where things like accidentals come from. Django Reinhardt, Charlie Christian, Jimi Hendrix, Chuck Berry, and most other players build their solos either primarily or heavily from arpeggios. Just slapping down whatever scales match the key is a fairly new development.

Oy vey

thanks for that lesson, my 22 years of playing guitar, which includes 2 years of classical at the Royal Conservatory of Music in Toronto left me a little vague.

My point wasn't that jazz players user, arpeggios, scales or strange chord progressions.

But that they often play technically challenging pieces for the sake of playing technically chalenging pieces and that often regardless of the technical difficulty of what they're playing the music sucks.

Keith Richards and Pete Townsend were never GREAT guitar players but they came up with guitar hooks and melodies that made sense and worked and hit people in their guts.

My problem in general with Jazz it that it tends to be to mental where as music is should more guttural / elemental.

WarPhalange
10th March 08, 10:01 PM
My problem in general with Jazz it that it tends to be to mental where as music is should more guttural / elemental.

Ugh, THANK YOU. I've told him that before and it just doesn't get through to him.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 08, 10:04 PM
Experience shouldn't be a requirement to enjoy a piece of art.

It wouldn't be. What makes this an acquired taste is how far seperated you are from it. I had the same trouble initially getting into Louis Armstrongs' early Hot Five and Hot Seven recordings, but it was very rewarding when I did.

Yeah. When MAB weedles around, there is at least a rhythm guitar, bass, and drums laying a rhythm for him to play over. And what did you have here?

It was just the fiddle and the guitar.

Incidentally, it was the most technically gifted violinist outside of the classical world and one of the finest accompanists of the past century doing a side project from their day job in the most popular band in the world, one that sold two million records nationwide when there were only two-million phonographs in the country. But otherwise, yes, it's exactly like MAB. Troll harder.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 08, 10:11 PM
But that they often play technically challenging pieces for the sake of playing technically chalenging pieces and that often regardless of the technical difficulty of what they're playing the music sucks.

Stop listening to bad jazz?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/8755063006d0ef/

Artful Dentures
10th March 08, 10:17 PM
This thread needs some Leo Kottke

I5Rfslc_kN8

Makes me want to almost tune my 12 string to open D, almost but that's too much work

s0NnHPlg7A4

Artful Dentures
10th March 08, 10:19 PM
Stop listening to bad jazz?

http://www.zshare.net/audio/8755063006d0ef/

I quite like the old stuff I should say modern Jazz

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 08, 10:21 PM
"I'm not a fan of modern jazz"

"Yeah it's slid pretty hard since the 70s"

"It's too cerebral"

"uh, no?"

"oh I meant modern jazz"

er...

Tanhalen21
10th March 08, 10:25 PM
This thread needs some Leo Kottke

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Goju - Joe again.

WarPhalange
10th March 08, 10:29 PM
Incidentally, it was the most technically gifted violinist outside of the classical world and one of the finest accompanists of the past century doing a side project from their day job in the most popular band in the world, one that sold two million records nationwide when there were only two-million phonographs in the country. But otherwise, yes, it's exactly like MAB. Troll harder.

Right. "Technique isn't all there is to it! That's why MAB sucks!" But this guy is technically gifted, that's why he's awesome.

"Popularity doesn't mean shit! Emo is popular!" But this guy is great because he was so popular.

I don't particularly like MAB, I'm just saying he's no different than the people you put up. All technique, no real soul to it.

Moreover, you keep going on how Metal is harmonically limited by the distortion. Guess what? There is more to music than the the intervals you use. There's a thing called "tone" that you might have heard of. People sacraficed harmonic range for the tone of the distorted guitar, but in doing so they opened up several genres of music. Completely distinct from Jazz, too. This is where the "preference" thing would come in. Some people like it, some people don't. But don't tell me that going for a completely unique tone made sacraficing harmonic range (Which, by the way, I can't tell when it's used on clean instruments anyway. Can you give me an example of a piece using those complex chords that metal can't? I want to see what all the fuss is about.)

Artful Dentures
10th March 08, 10:43 PM
"I'm not a fan of modern jazz"

"Yeah it's slid pretty hard since the 70s"

"It's too cerebral"

"uh, no?"

"oh I meant modern jazz"

er...

To clarify modern Jazz guitar sucks

SRV is awesome

And you tend to be wrong

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 08, 11:55 PM
Right. "Technique isn't all there is to it! That's why MAB sucks!" But this guy is technically gifted, that's why he's awesome.

He has technical skill in addition to musical mastery.

"Popularity doesn't mean shit! Emo is popular!" But this guy is great because he was so popular.

I don't think you realize how big of a deal Paul Whitman's orchestra was at the time. It wasn't a major band in a particular subculture, it was a major band among anyone who listened to music, the biggest band in the world. Bing Crosby got his start in Whitman's band, and George Gershwin wasn't a big deal until Paul Whitman commissioned him to write Rhapsody in Blue.

All technique, no real soul to it.

Yeah, troll harder.

Moreover, you keep going on how Metal is harmonically limited by the distortion. Guess what? There is more to music than the the intervals you use. There's a thing called "tone" that you might have heard of. People sacraficed harmonic range for the tone of the distorted guitar, but in doing so they opened up several genres of music. Completely distinct from Jazz, too. This is where the "preference" thing would come in. Some people like it, some people don't. But don't tell me that going for a completely unique tone made sacraficing harmonic range (Which, by the way, I can't tell when it's used on clean instruments anyway.

Charlie Christian's tone is full of distortion, but, limited by good taste, he doesn't sacrifice the ability to utilize extended shapes.

Can you give me an example of a piece using those complex chords that metal can't? I want to see what all the fuss is about.)

I would, but I'd have to show you cerebral music exploiting high-minded musical ideas. You should just stick to classical, as it's clear jazz is too fast and busy for you. At least the calm melodies will soothe your feeble mind.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
10th March 08, 11:55 PM
And you tend to be wrong

like when?

Artful Dentures
11th March 08, 08:22 AM
Like always

Stop shitting up my thread with a Jazz history discussion

Start you're own thread

Tanhalen21
11th March 08, 01:47 PM
^Agree^. If you want to be a pretentious, pedantic ass you can start your own thread and get high off of smelling your own farts.

Ryan Platts
16th March 08, 03:28 AM
My picks-

Trey Azagthoth
Chuck Schuldiner
James Hetfield
Dave Mustaine
The guys from Exhorder
Rory Gallagher
Marty Friedman
Paul Masdival

...in no particular order.
Music in general:
All these guys plus VAN MORRISON. Astral Weeks is one of the the best albums ever.

Riddeck
16th March 08, 04:29 AM
My picks-

Trey Azagthoth
Chuck Schuldiner
James Hetfield
Dave Mustaine
The guys from Exhorder
Rory Gallagher
Marty Friedman
Paul Masdival

...in no particular order.
Music in general:
All these guys plus VAN MORRISON. Astral Weeks is one of the the best albums ever.

I am surprised this is the first Mention of Marty Friedman. He totally, totally jams.

Not a hero per se', to me at least, but could definitely be regarded as so, to some.

Tanhalen21
16th March 08, 12:08 PM
I don't believe Steve Howe, guitarist of Yes, has been mentioned yet.

ZiA1XBXAE6U

Forgive me if I missed it

Kiko
16th March 08, 04:48 PM
I did, but I will. He's still playing well along with Chris Squire.

Tanhalen21
16th March 08, 04:50 PM
Wicked.

Deadmeat
16th March 08, 07:12 PM
I am surprised this is the first Mention of Marty Friedman. He totally, totally jams.

Not a hero per se', to me at least, but could definitely be regarded as so, to some.
http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1295250&postcount=5

Artful Dentures
16th March 08, 10:33 PM
Arghh now I have to go listen to roundabout

So do all of you!!!

WIVi7KY_WJ8&

Man I love this song!!!

Riddeck
16th March 08, 10:47 PM
http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1295250&postcount=5

I even read that post, cause I was like, Nuno? Fo shoz?

Haha.

Deadmeat
17th March 08, 12:46 AM
I even read that post, cause I was like, Nuno? Fo shoz?

Haha.
:D

I actually became a Nuno fan after hearing Midnight Express for the first time. Before then, he just kinda vaguely pissed me off, for no aparent reason.