PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: People who are interested in Parkour/Freerunning

Sirc
21st February 08, 04:08 PM
Lg8xPg8enYA

I just remembered this video. It's a great learning tool to show you what the different vaults are like and what they're for.

Kein Haar
21st February 08, 04:19 PM
mor falls plz

Mas
21st February 08, 04:21 PM
Awesome thanks!

Domite
21st February 08, 04:34 PM
That was awesome. Seems like there would be a size limit to get really good at that.

WarPhalange
21st February 08, 04:36 PM
AbdgVocrwuM

avenger
21st February 08, 04:41 PM
Here's some videos that help.

UnDJ2fE4ymw

WWR2lglY2yQ

Sirc
21st February 08, 04:52 PM
Hx8KsRzmdBI

A more advanced technique. I wouldn't recommend it to n00bs.

jvjim
21st February 08, 09:01 PM
My new mission in life: be the first super heavyweight parkour star. (I start as soon as I'm over the flu.)

mrblackmagic
21st February 08, 09:57 PM
I'm thinking about hanging it. My knees aren't doing to good. I might just switch to nightclimbing.

WarPhalange
21st February 08, 10:52 PM
My new mission in life: be the first super heavyweight parkour star. (I start as soon as I'm over the flu.)

How much do you weigh, exactly? I've been playing around with that for like 2 weeks now at 200lbs, and I tell you, it's not easy.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
21st February 08, 11:00 PM
Wii doesn't give you enough exercise?

WarPhalange
21st February 08, 11:06 PM
Why would it?

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2006/20061113.jpg

Sirc
21st February 08, 11:46 PM
How much do you weigh, exactly? I've been playing around with that for like 2 weeks now at 200lbs, and I tell you, it's not easy.

I don't know how you do it.

I'm at 148 right now and it's still a challenge to keep the momentum going.

SpringHeeledJack
21st February 08, 11:56 PM
I realized watching that instructional that I can (or could) do a lot of the stuff they were doing. I'm gonna try to give it a shot this weekend. If I can still do any of it and I have the time and I can find someone to film me I'll post a video.

Sirc
22nd February 08, 12:06 AM
If it doesn't rain this weekend, I'm going to make a video myself too! :)

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
22nd February 08, 12:09 AM
fat chance

WarPhalange
22nd February 08, 12:11 AM
I don't know how you do it.

I'm at 148 right now and it's still a challenge to keep the momentum going.

There's no "momentum" yet. I'm just doing individual moves such as underbars and various vaults. Just trying to get the techniques down.

I do a few vaults and I'm already winded. The sad thing is that it's taking me a long time to learn all these vaults because of my natural wussyness. And not even the hard ones, but like the regular "monkey" vault where you put your legs close to your chest. I can't do it, becuase I'm afraid of falling on my face after hitting whatever I'm jumping over.

I'm also noticing that I favor one side when doing the single-sided vaults like the simple vault or something, which is something totally foreign to me, since I'm fairly ambidextrous.

I found out that people regularly meet at the UW campus to train Parkour. I'm hoping to get in on that when I can. Any tips and advice from them would be awesome.

jvjim
22nd February 08, 12:57 AM
I weigh in at around 240, but hope to lose around 30-40 lbs by the end of summer. I've always been pretty agile for a fat guy though, so we'll see. Either way, pictures of my injuries or video of me actually pulling it off will be pure hilarity. For the next couple of weeks though, I'll have to settle with just using the basic rolls and some of the vaults in my warm up.

ignatzami
22nd February 08, 01:14 AM
For potential training partners in your area check:

http://www.americanparkour.com/

or..

http://nyparkour.com/

if your in NY

Sirc
22nd February 08, 03:36 AM
There's no "momentum" yet. I'm just doing individual moves such as underbars and various vaults. Just trying to get the techniques down.

I do a few vaults and I'm already winded. The sad thing is that it's taking me a long time to learn all these vaults because of my natural wussyness. And not even the hard ones, but like the regular "monkey" vault where you put your legs close to your chest. I can't do it, becuase I'm afraid of falling on my face after hitting whatever I'm jumping over.

I'm also noticing that I favor one side when doing the single-sided vaults like the simple vault or something, which is something totally foreign to me, since I'm fairly ambidextrous.

I found out that people regularly meet at the UW campus to train Parkour. I'm hoping to get in on that when I can. Any tips and advice from them would be awesome.

Try everything on solid ground first and foremost.

If you're going to try monkey vaulting. Make sure you can hold yourself up off the ground and can swing your legs under you freely before you try to actually vault.

I'm currently working my way up to the wall spin... It's so... hard. :(

avenger
22nd February 08, 05:03 PM
I really want to try tricking/freerunning/parkour. But where I live in Wisconsin, the area basically sucks. Plus, it's freezing cold outside.

Sirc
22nd February 08, 05:30 PM
I really want to try tricking/freerunning/parkour. But where I live in Wisconsin, the area basically sucks. Plus, it's freezing cold outside.

Tricking =/= freerunning =/= parkour.

Parkour is the equivalent of GT road racing.

Freerunning is the equivalent of say drifting.

Tricking is the equivalent of showcars.

avenger
22nd February 08, 05:47 PM
Tricking =/= freerunning =/= parkour.

Parkour is the equivalent of GT road racing.

Freerunning is the equivalent of say drifting.

Tricking is the equivalent of showcars.

I know. But most forums or things that you read about Parkour or Freerunning often associated with Tricking. In fact, after you lurk around Parkour/Tricking/Freerunning forums. They often describe Freerunning as a mix between Parkour and Tricking.

Kein Haar
22nd February 08, 06:16 PM
Why duz this link keep floating to teh top? I said I'm not inerestedd in it.

Sun Wukong
22nd February 08, 06:19 PM
So when do we get to watch sirc plummet to his doom from a 30 foot wall?

WarPhalange
22nd February 08, 06:23 PM
I imagine it would look like this:

_vQ0yRN64v0&feature=related

Steve
22nd February 08, 10:46 PM
I have that game (it works on my computer), very phun!

elipson
23rd February 08, 03:30 PM
I was practicing monkey vaults today on a cement tabletop. I noticed my wrists really felt it after a while. Normal? Doing it wrong? Goes away with practice?

I haven't gotten the nerve to start jumping with rolls. I'm sure they'll be easy for me, 5 years of JJJ have given me pretty good rolls and breakfalls. I can't work up the nerve to start rolling on the ground in public, yet. Perhaps after a few drinks tonight that will change....

WarPhalange
23rd February 08, 03:37 PM
I did some rolls last night at the local school yard while walking my dog. It hurts. In BJJ we had cushy mats, but even on grass you can feel it. I don't want to do it on concrete yet.

Anyway, some other guy walked by with his dog and I felt stupid, but whatever.

Sirc
23rd February 08, 06:03 PM
It's raining right now. I want to go out and do some stuff and get it on video, but the weather does not permit safe running.

I was practicing monkey vaults today on a cement tabletop. I noticed my wrists really felt it after a while. Normal? Doing it wrong? Goes away with practice?

I haven't gotten the nerve to start jumping with rolls. I'm sure they'll be easy for me, 5 years of JJJ have given me pretty good rolls and breakfalls. I can't work up the nerve to start rolling on the ground in public, yet. Perhaps after a few drinks tonight that will change....

Sounds pretty normal. Remember that you're not supposed to be supporting your entire weight on your hands, you're just using it as a way to skip over whatever you're faulting. You shouldn't be on your wrists for more than half a second.

I did some rolls last night at the local school yard while walking my dog. It hurts. In BJJ we had cushy mats, but even on grass you can feel it. I don't want to do it on concrete yet.

Anyway, some other guy walked by with his dog and I felt stupid, but whatever.

Yeah, you have to fall differently when the ground is uneven. Also you have to have balls. I hate having to dive roll on concrete.

Goldenmane
24th February 08, 12:59 AM

Most vaults, in my experience, you're not really supporting your weight in any major way, more the touch is there simply to guide. I'm no master, and I'm well out of training at the moment, but the key really rests in controlling your momentum.

Of course, your wrists could be feeling it because they haven't built up the sort of dynamic flexibility required yet.

Fuck it, I'm gunna take my kid to the park tomorrow and start his training. It'll help me to get back into it. (He already does gymnastics, so he's got a bit of an advantage).

elipson
24th February 08, 06:35 AM
Well the way i was doing it was to run towards the tabletop, which is maybe two feet high, jump towards it from several feet away with my hands making contact in front of my body, and to kind of push down on the top so to push myself higher, clearing the top. I usually landed on the tabletop in a crouch kind of position. I did this maybe 20 times over the day. I felt an improvement by the end.

ironlurker
25th February 08, 06:52 PM
I swear to god I keep seeing this as people who are interested in parkour/freemasonry, damn you Riddeck, dammmmnnn yoooouuu

Riddeck
26th February 08, 05:24 AM
I swear to god I keep seeing this as people who are interested in parkour/freemasonry, damn you Riddeck, dammmmnnn yoooouuu

At least your mind is moving. Maybe it is breaking free?

/duck

EvilSteve
26th February 08, 11:32 AM
I swear to god I keep seeing this as people who are interested in parkour/freemasonry

Not nearly as cool as parkour/thelema.

Zendetta
26th February 08, 08:41 PM
Vault what thou will shalt be the Whole of the Law?

Sun Wukong
27th February 08, 01:01 AM
how the hell did this thread get stickied?

WarPhalange
27th February 08, 01:03 AM
SirC is on Staff.

Sirc
27th February 08, 01:31 AM
I didn't sticky it.

It's something everyone seems to be interested in and was voted into getting stickied.

I will go running this weekend and get video for all of you kids if the weather permits.

WarPhalange
27th February 08, 01:32 AM
Fuck you. I had a gym jam planned for Saturday, but I'm fucking sick so I had to miss school today, miss my guitar lesson today, and will likely be in no shape to go to the jam on Saturday. =/

Steve
27th February 08, 03:01 AM
I didn't sticky it.

It's something everyone seems to be interested in and was voted into getting stickied.

I will go running this weekend and get video for all of you kids if the weather permits.

I stickied it since it's a thread that gets us fuckers off of the intrawebs for at least 30 minutes and it's got enough decent posters to make the SPORTS SPORTS SPORTS forum look like it's worth checking out (and it beats talking about hockey).

Sirc and I both thought that it was a good idea (though it was really my idea to sticky it, so blame me if you have a complaint about it).

Sun Wukong
27th February 08, 03:20 AM
not really a complaint, so much as a lack of people falling 30 feet to their immenent doom.

Steve
27th February 08, 03:27 AM
No doubt, VIDEO PEOPLE!!!!

elipson
27th February 08, 03:48 AM
What not to do:

I ran and jumped over the side of a spiral walkway the other day and landed about 4-6 down. I couldn't roll out of it because of shit in the way, and I was moving too fast to go into a crouch because my momentum would have carried me forward onto my face. So what did I do? I stiff legged it.

It hurt from my ankle to the top of my neck. And in particular all the way up my spine. My back still feels all fucked up right now. It was the first time I had tried dropping from that height with any kind of forward speed. But now I smarter.

Steve
27th February 08, 04:05 AM
But now I smarter.

That's all you need to go for. Well done.

Sirc
27th February 08, 06:19 AM
What not to do:

I ran and jumped over the side of a spiral walkway the other day and landed about 4-6 down. I couldn't roll out of it because of shit in the way, and I was moving too fast to go into a crouch because my momentum would have carried me forward onto my face. So what did I do? I stiff legged it.

It hurt from my ankle to the top of my neck. And in particular all the way up my spine. My back still feels all fucked up right now. It was the first time I had tried dropping from that height with any kind of forward speed. But now I smarter.

I had an episode like that. Only it involved me falling off an edge I didn't know was there.

I was luckily wearing gloves and managed to slightly slow my decent by using the wall as a brake pad and my hand as a caliper. it sucked.

ironlurker
27th February 08, 08:18 AM
I was luckily wearing gloves and managed to slightly slow my decent by using the wall as a brake pad and my hand as a caliper. it sucked.

What type of gloves do you wear for this?

elipson
27th February 08, 10:45 AM
I´m using gloves I had on hand for bouncing. They are Dakotas, and got them from any work-clothes store. They are designed for biking/rollerblading stuff. They have thick pleather padding on the hands, and a kind of gel cushion type stuff over the knuckles (handy in certain circumstances).

Should be able to find comparable gloves at any place that sells sports gear or work clothes. Cheaper = better.

WarPhalange
27th February 08, 12:13 PM
I'm tempted to use gloves myself. Some of the stuff I see around, I wouldn't want to put my hands on, because they'd likely rip apart. Especially if it's an object I'm not familiar with, so I have no idea if there is some sort of sharp part sticking out someplace.

elipson
27th February 08, 01:49 PM
I've been doing a lot of stuff on huge concrete blocks that form the breakwater down by the harbour. Its awesome for different stuff, but gloves are must or the hands get ripped to shit. Can't do any rolls though.... maybe this weekend.

Neildo
27th February 08, 03:23 PM
my bike gloves have kevlar palms and only cost $30. if they can protect my hands when i bail my BMX, then they're what i would use for this kind of thing. sticky fingertips too (for shift and brake levers), but that would wear out fast on stone.

mrblackmagic
28th February 08, 11:26 AM
I swear by baseball gloves. Not mitts. The kind batters wear.

Sirc
28th February 08, 02:56 PM
I use my paintball gloves.

Pretty much any thin work gloves will work fine. Don't expect them to last very long though.

WarPhalange
28th February 08, 04:53 PM
I swear by baseball gloves. Not mitts. The kind batters wear.

But I did wear mitts while batting...

Oh... THAT'S why I never made the team?

mrblackmagic
29th February 08, 02:18 PM
http://a1259.g.akamai.net/f/1259/5586/5d/images.art.com/images/-/Confused-Dog--C11765891.jpeg

Sirc
1st March 08, 05:54 PM
Tomorrow I will be going out and doing some minor running for fun if the weather holds out as good as it has.

elipson
7th March 08, 04:23 PM
Bumb.

cause i wanna see sirc fall.

Sirc
7th March 08, 07:56 PM
I'm too lazy to upload. :(

elipson
9th March 08, 06:21 PM
Excuses....
the masses demand it.

Tanhalen21
9th March 08, 09:21 PM
I want to get sick at parkour just so that if I ever see someone freerunning on the street I can chase them down and punch them in the face

Shawarma
12th March 08, 03:19 PM
I must spread more etc.

elipson
13th April 08, 05:59 PM
Has enough time gone by that we can call BS on sirc ever doing any kind of parkour?

Harpy
14th April 08, 01:59 AM
You'd love that wouldn't you? Give the boy a break, he must be very busy with his calligraphy classes and shaman duties.

socratic
14th April 08, 02:02 AM
You'd love that wouldn't you? Give the boy a break, he must be very busy with his calligraphy classes and shaman duties.

You're a Pagan. You of all people should know the difference between a Shaman and an Asian!

Harpy
14th April 08, 02:28 AM
DAYoung understands my 'Pagan' status. He's even posted about it, I need no other validation :)

Arhetton
14th April 08, 02:43 AM
In my experience, this sport is not very fun unless you have some friends that want to do it too, and you have something cool you can explore without too much threat of consequences (security, police etc). Doing it by yourself you just look like a dork/weirdo and you don't get the same laughs out of it as you would with a friend.

The people I did meet while doing this were very nice, but they had their own vocabulary (people had ridiculous nicknames), fashion, and pseudo philosophy bullcrap that turns up in martial arts circles too.

It does make you feel very free about the urban environment around you - when you know you can climb onto the top of a first storey building in a few seconds, the urban environment starts to look very different.

Concrete is unforgiving.

socratic
14th April 08, 02:49 AM
DAYoung understands my 'Pagan' status. He's even posted about it, I need no other validation :)

Fine, let's not appreciate my poor attempts at humour then.

As for PK, I'm sorely tempted to try it out, but I doubt I'll ever get into the flippy stuff. I'm tall and thin and unathletic, making me seriously suck at awesome things such as flips. I think I've got a friend who's big on PK and tricking, I'll have to get him to bring me to his classes some time.

Harpy
14th April 08, 02:55 AM
The Sydney parkour crew tried to get me to join them but I really didn't feel I could take myself seriously (or dress correctly). I'm not very 'street' plus I didn't want anyone I knew to see me running around with a bunch of boys on the streets.

socratic
14th April 08, 07:22 AM
The Sydney parkour crew tried to get me to join them but I really didn't feel I could take myself seriously (or dress correctly). I'm not very 'street' plus I didn't want anyone I knew to see me running around with a bunch of boys on the streets.

Sydney wouldn't be bad for PK. The ACT doesn't really have the architecture for it.

WarPhalange
14th April 08, 09:25 AM
What the hell are you talking about "fashion"? Just wear something comfortable and a good pair of shoes. Anybody gives you shit, fuck them.

elipson
14th April 08, 09:28 AM
What the hell are you talking about "fashion"? Just wear something comfortable and a good pair of shoes. Anybody gives you shit, kick them in the face then see if you can outrun them. That should motivate you to try new kinds of parkour while fleeing a pissed off mob

fixed

WarPhalange
14th April 08, 09:32 AM
Actually those guys are real pacifists from what I can tell. They even stress "no competition" in their Parkour. I think that if you kicked them in the face, they would apologize to you.

elipson
14th April 08, 12:20 PM
Well, I guess that would be the logical outcome. That the participants in the art of running away are pacifists.

socratic
15th April 08, 12:59 AM
Well, I guess that would be the logical outcome. That the participants in the art of running away are pacifists.
Apparently you can run away whilst also kicking ass. _GpOroM0g80

Sirc
15th April 08, 01:46 AM
Oh shit, I forgot about this thread.

Well the weather's getting better, I'll definitely do something soon, I promise. Maybe tomorrow even. I have been in need of a good run lately.

Neildo
15th April 08, 02:42 AM
district 13 kicks ass.

socratic
15th April 08, 04:57 AM
district 13 kicks ass.
The dub is fucking awful and makes the movie seem really fucking stupid.

In retrospect, the dialogue was probably not all that bad and the action was goddamn awesome. Lesson learned: Don't watch dubs.

avenger
15th April 08, 08:54 PM
District 13 in my opinion was too short, and could have gone on longer. But, still good movie.

Steve
4th July 08, 12:59 AM
Pretty cool! I'm watching him work the 3rd stage right now on G4 (http://www.g4tv.com/ninjawarrior/) (rerun). He fell on the cliff hanger. :(

Well it seems that America finally has a legend in the making for Ninja Warrior (Sasuke). Just was reading over at Japan Probe that Levi Meeuwenberg not only was one of the only Americans to make it to stage 3, but he was the last man standing in the Spring Ninja Warrior competition! Congratulations Levi! He may soon join my other favorite Ninja Warrior, Shingo Yamamoto.

This is the 2nd year that G4 has sent competitors over to Japan to compete in Ninja Warrior. Last year, the winner was accompanied by the runner up because he showed so much promise. However, both of the competitors went into the murky water of Mount Fujiyama early on. A big let-down after G4 hyped it so much.

Levi was one of the 3 attendees this year from G4. He passed the 2nd stage with ease, and left his 2 Japanese competitors behind and advanced to stage 3. However, he lost his hold, and joined the others in the murky waters. Ganbatte next time Levi. Your new fans will be watching. Insanely close picture of Levi from Tyson Cecka’s Flickr.

Levi Meeuwenberg KSwiss Free running Commercial (Stunts)
FxX-hzDU1KI

Link. (http://xorsyst.com/japan/ninja-warrior-levi-meeuwenberg/)

MrBadGuy
5th February 09, 11:59 PM
So, I just discovered this thread.

Sirc, where are those videos?

Also, I'm totally doing this. Tricking wasn't meant to be, but I have a good feeling for parkour.

elipson
7th February 09, 02:24 PM
We all made a bet if he would post the videos within a year. He is running out of time.

Harpy
9th February 09, 04:11 PM
LOL...running out of time.

I think the fact is no one was good enough to keep up with Sirc during his free running extravaganza therefore no mere video would be able to capture it.

MrBG - wear a cup

Spade: The Real Snake
9th February 09, 05:32 PM
I am trying to figure out where you can "Free Run" in Fresno.

Harpy
9th February 09, 06:10 PM
You can dive out of high storey buildings, do some layouts, somersaults and then land gently on the roof of a shorter building and from there its a cartwheel down onto a car roof and a hop, skip and a jump onto the road.