PDA

View Full Version : Articles section?

ironlurker
4th February 08, 09:09 PM
GJ's thread got me thinking about this. No idea how feasible/desirable it is, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

1-Sociocide's a fun place where people want to talk about all types of crazy and/or serious shit
2- see one above

If there was an articles section where people could post original stuff that was beyond a rant (rant not in a pejoritive sense necessarily), like GJ's thread, it might make it easier to avoid/deal with derails (for us posters as well, more importantly maybe) beyond the Ground Zero/CTC differentiation. Not that anyone (myself included) necessarily has anything interesting/important enough to say, but with GJ's thread the idea struck me that it would be a perfect example of such an article. Some of the drifts in ground zero are awesome, but based on this and the derail downside having that format might offer another option beyond sort of "invisible hand" or self-moderation and streamline moderation.

I'm not sure how it works on bullshido, but originality and some sort of basic quality factors, things like length/legibility, could work.

Anyway like I said that thread made me think about it and I thought I'd put it out there.

Steve
4th February 08, 09:46 PM
Interesting idea...

Phrost
4th February 08, 10:26 PM
We've got the software to support it, just need the content.

ironlurker
4th February 08, 11:13 PM
We've got the software to support it, just need the content.

Well, I can give quick theoretical examples from my own point of view.

Whenever we have an Islam thread of the week, sometimes the same ground gets covered. Nothing wrong with that, but I usually end up putting in tl;dr posts that might be okay or interesting but kind of break the flow. Plus, even if it's a good contribution, a reader in such a situation can get the impression you're pulling it out of your ass or trying to score ego points or showing off randomly in someone's thread.

In the context of fringe topics like UFO's, that get re-introduced, I have stuff to say that's not exactly "OMG invasion" or "lol drunk farmer." Yeah, the skepticism forum is great, but I'd basically like to put it out there in a solid chunk. The issue isn't people agreeing/disagreeing , but in a standard thread I think it would be, again, tl;dr and make people zone unless they're specifically interested beyond whatever the current event is or a sort of yes/no debate, not that that isn't great, my point is that an article like that would avoid rambling/ranting for people not interested.

I could be totally wrong, but the vibe I get is that Ground Zero is more or less current events/important stuff in general, CTC is lol and short personal musings, and an articles section could be more crafted personal narratives or position paper type stuff. An added benefit could be containment for the energy of those with a big message for the world and less derails if they manage to meet whatever standards there would be, the movie "Pitch Black" comes to mind.

Phrost
6th February 08, 06:46 PM
You're right.

One of the things we need is to decide, collectively, on a handful of regular features. Be they a "Top 10" list of X, or "Douchebag of the Week/Month", or "Asshole Activist Alert".

ironlurker
6th February 08, 07:33 PM
You're right.

One of the things we need is to decide, collectively, on a handful of regular features. Be they a "Top 10" list of X, or "Douchebag of the Week/Month", or "Asshole Activist Alert".
Yeah, a "PC Watch" monthly feature would be good. I know of a sociology professor being forced to resign because he said in class "Americans have referred to Mexican immigrants with the derogative term wetbacks." The context doesn't matter, just the fact that he said "wetbacks."

Along with the douchebag idea, some sort of nut/whacko/manifesto/lunatic rampage of the month might be good too. Even the "post your spam" thread might be a good feature, "spam of the month" or something (edited obviously).

Beyond these, an articles section might help get more people interested. There's a lot of people on bullshido, for instance, who might not want to start a thread for whatever reason but could write an article on "Being a Mormon", "Growing up in city/area X", personal narrative stuff. On the other hand, there's a lot of science/econ/politics/history guys on here who could write stuff that might get more views etc. then if people dug through a thread.

If the articles are retarded/boring/emo/insane and people don't click, I don't think there'd be much lost if the software/space wasn't a big issue. It's a crap shoot, but speaking from the outside it looks low risk to me.

SpringHeeledJack
6th February 08, 07:41 PM
There's a lot of people on bullshido, for instance, who might not want to start a thread for whatever reason

This doesn't have anything to do with the articles idea (which I do like), but I've had a few people tell me they think it's to cliquish over here and that's why they stay away.

ironlurker
6th February 08, 07:50 PM
This doesn't have anything to do with the articles idea (which I do like), but I've had a few people tell me they think it's to cliquish over here and that's why they stay away.

Actually, I think this might be connected. Like I said, they might actually be more comfortable and confident posting an article. Look at GJ's thread and how he felt about the derails. If he wasn't a regular poster, he might not have bothered.

I'm not saying this part would be about preventing hurt feelings or frustration or whatever, that's life on the interwebs, just that it could get more content with that consideration. People could obviously respond, debate, and criticize, but the hypothetical person would know something they spent time on would get out there in a chunk before it turned into David Lynch meets Alex Jones.

bob
6th February 08, 07:52 PM

I've heard that before and I don't agree frankly. Even Angry Spastic gets a fair hearing over here and can you imagine how long Riddeck would last on bullshido proper. It may seem cliquish because there are fewer regular posters but anyone who has an interest in talking about off topic stuff gets accepted here IMO. If anything, there's a far wider variety of opinions expressed here than on bullshido.

On another note, I reckon your search for your biological mum would be perfect for an articles section, if you were so inclined.

SpringHeeledJack
6th February 08, 08:00 PM
I've heard that before and I don't agree

I don't either, but I'll admit I did think that before I started posting here regularly.

If anything, there's a far wider variety of opinions expressed here than on bullshido.Without a doubt

On another note, I reckon your search for your biological mum would be perfect for an articles section, if you were so inclined.

Mebbe, but I don right to gud

ironlurker
6th February 08, 08:00 PM
I've heard that before and I don't agree frankly. Even Angry Spastic gets a fair hearing over here and can you imagine how long Riddeck would last on bullshido proper. It may seem cliquish because there are fewer regular posters but anyone who has an interest in talking about off topic stuff gets accepted here IMO. If anything, there's a far wider variety of opinions expressed here than on bullshido.

Yeah, I agree, but I think that's still part of the issue, people don't know what's "right" to say, not that it's like truly that on bullshido, and obviously there isn't anything like that here, but it's basically like walking into a bar or a subway car and talking. No, it's no one's job to hold anyone's hand so they don't get hurt on the internet, but I'm just saying it could have a positive effect on the site regadless if this aspect comes into play or not.

That's what I'm sayinnnn . . ...

Arhetton
7th February 08, 01:30 AM
Total wankpot question just had it on my mind because of thinking about filesharing and omegas bitches thread about stick...

if someone writes an article, do they have the IP to it? And what if they want to take it down?

P.S - whats the story with googles cache and IP - aren't they technically making a copy of copyrighted material?

Arhetton
7th February 08, 01:31 AM
already found half my question:

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2006/01/google-cache-ruled-fair-use

forgive me and my ramblings:

continue!

I approve of an articles section

Gypsy Jazz
8th February 08, 04:41 PM
Hooray, I'm a positive example! Slightly more seriously though, I'd be happy to turn my Scientology thread into an article if an articles section came to be. The story proper (not including blatent lies to make it exciting) is finished so it'd be ready to be transferred or whatever needs to be done.

I'm all for an articles section. I don't know why but if I see a very long post in a forum, unless it's a story I tend to be turned off quite quickly. However, if it's in an article format I tend to be far more willing to read much more. I don't know if that's just me being strange, but it could be an incentive.

Steve
8th February 08, 05:00 PM
It may just be that people would know that they are walking into a long post before even clicking the link. That's what does it for me.

ironlurker
8th February 08, 05:24 PM
make it so

jvjim
9th February 08, 02:26 AM
I support this idea, prepare for long expository pieces on the French Feminist movement and cliché horror stories.

EuropIan
19th February 08, 12:40 PM
I'd be interested in this.

It's good practice in writing. -> leads to debate -> everyone wins!