PDA

View Full Version : Cloverfield **SPOILERS AHEAD**

Airman Kai
20th January 08, 02:23 PM
Cloverfield was awesome!

http://img115.imageshack.us/img115/113/6wpalx5ev5.jpg

The monster was awesome!

It's basically like the greatest 4D motion ride you've ever been on, but with half the Ds.

Plasma
20th January 08, 04:58 PM
Agreed, I loved it. Stick and I decided that was the greatest SONY handicam ever.

meataxe
20th January 08, 06:40 PM
SUCKED!

Basically, it is the "The Blair Godzilla Project". I can believe I got suckered into this one.

EuropIan
20th January 08, 06:43 PM
I liked the blair witch. I just wish they had spent at least $1000 on computer generated effects.

Seems like I'll like this. Mockumentaries is a new genre and should be experimented with.

Is it worth watching in theaters?

Shawarma
20th January 08, 06:50 PM
I personally liked Blair Witch as well, but I feel deeply ashamed of it.

meataxe
20th January 08, 07:02 PM
Actually, if you have any motion sickness... sit at the back. I am never affected by that sort of thing, but this one actually made me feel sick. The whole damn thing is in damn handheld shaky-cam. Aside from that gimmick, it's really just a typical monster movie.

WarPhalange
20th January 08, 07:15 PM
Reason # 11 why this movie would be better as a video game: After you beat it once, you can play it again, and this time all the actors wear sombrero's.

Shawarma
20th January 08, 07:20 PM
Wait for the DVD with extra special sombrero footage to come out.

mrblackmagic
23rd January 08, 10:46 AM
Saves me from writing the review.

Two problems with the movie. One, it was too short. Two, the film is shot from the POV of the most irritating character. I one more than one occasion said to myself, "STFU, Hutch." Happy at the end.

The scenes with the monsters were great. I really got the feel of what it would be like if monster touchdown in a heavily populated area although Gamera vs Iris did it better.

Did anybody else think the monster looked like Chimera from Resistance?

bad credit
23rd January 08, 05:07 PM
Huh, Cloverfield looks like Tendril from Inhumanoids.

http://www.dvdactive.com/reviews/dvd/inhumanoids-the-complete-series.html

Sun Wukong
23rd January 08, 06:19 PM
Really, I thought it looked like the "Weapons" from Final Fantasy.

socratic
31st January 08, 08:45 PM
Really, I thought it looked like the "Weapons" from Final Fantasy.

Heh. Where's your the Junon cannon now!?

Keith
1st February 08, 01:04 AM
They went out of their way to make the movie seem as realistic as possible, so it really bugged me when very unrealistic things happened, like the girl who was just forceably torn off a peice of rebarb that had inpaled her shoulder making it down 38 flights of stairs in under an hour without keeling over dead from shock, or all the main characters surviving the helicopter crash with no serious injuries, while both pilots were killed outright. I give it a B-

Sun Wukong
1st February 08, 01:13 AM
ok... so.... wtf happened to the monster?

mrblackmagic
1st February 08, 10:21 AM
Oh, nothing.

Steve
1st February 08, 11:42 AM
And that is why the movie sucked/didn't shine above Godzilla.

mrblackmagic
1st February 08, 11:52 AM
Which one?

Steve
1st February 08, 12:26 PM
Take your pick.

mrblackmagic
1st February 08, 12:58 PM
Okay. The worst part of the movie was the human side otherwise it was damn fine.

Steve
1st February 08, 01:01 PM
So we agree that it sucked.

Zendetta
1st February 08, 01:55 PM
I liked the movie, but Ol' Slool Gojiro would own Cloverfield senseless.

Sirc
1st February 08, 04:11 PM
Meh, it was entertaining.

Sun Wukong
1st February 08, 04:48 PM
So... NOTHING happened to the Monster? It didn't die, fight Gamora, slink back into the ocean to rise again and lay waste to Tokyo, etc.? It just, left without saying "ZOMG LOL, I WHUPPED YOUR ASSES. you should have seen your faces when I used MY L33T NUKE BREATH!!"

Steve
1st February 08, 05:56 PM
Yeah, so it sucked.

Isn't anyone listening to me?

Sun Wukong
1st February 08, 06:07 PM
So... i'm still lost here... what happened to the monster? Did it go away? Did it sit around in Manhatten going, "L33t Nuke BREATH! har, har, LOL LOL LOL LOL, Deathgasm LOL LOL LOL I ate your girlfriend LOL LOL LOL"

They just don't say what happened or if the monster left or is still there? They don't even try to address the question of where the monster is? Nothing? They just said, "H34r is some camcorder action, LOL! CLOVERFIELD!!!! LOL LOL LOL"

Nobody answered my question, I still don't know what happened to the monster. One minute it was there wrecking shit and fucking people up and the next minute they were rolling the credits? is that what you're saying?

Zendetta
1st February 08, 06:10 PM
I heard that after the credits there is a sound clip that indicates the monster survived the military assault. Abrams has implied it fucks shit up for a while, and then goes back into the sea.

"Fucked up shit just happens" is an important part of this movie's "theme" IMO.

Steve
1st February 08, 06:14 PM
So... i'm still lost here... what happened to the monster? Did it go away? Did it sit around in Manhatten going, "L33t Nuke BREATH! har, har, LOL LOL LOL LOL, Deathgasm LOL LOL LOL I ate your girlfriend LOL LOL LOL"

They just don't say what happened or if the monster left or is still there? They don't even try to address the question of where the monster is? Nothing? They just said, "H34r is some camcorder action, LOL! CLOVERFIELD!!!! LOL LOL LOL"

Nobody answered my question, I still don't know what happened to the monster. One minute it was there wrecking shit and fucking people up and the next minute they were rolling the credits? is that what you're saying?

Yes, it was like The Blair Witch Project except 300 meters tall.

RaiNnyX4
1st February 08, 07:03 PM
I heard that after the credits there is a sound clip that indicates the monster survived the military assault. Abrams has implied it fucks shit up for a while, and then goes back into the sea.

"Fucked up shit just happens" is an important part of this movie's "theme" IMO.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tarrasque_(Dungeons_&_Dragons)

Sun Wukong
1st February 08, 08:23 PM
Yes, it was like The Blair Witch Project except 300 meters tall.

that sucks. damn it.

mrblackmagic
2nd February 08, 01:07 PM
Just go see it.

Sun Wukong
2nd February 08, 03:01 PM
Just go see it.

i need closure... i have to know what happened to the monster.... i don't think it would go over very well with me otherwise. the blair witch... i didn't really care about it. it haunted some people, disappeared them and is still out there.

GIANT MONSTER bigger than the statue of liberty? That's something differnet altogether. That doesn't just get to fade out into country folklore... it just pulled rumble in the bronx vs. the entire population of manhattan + an entire brigade of national guardsmen.

The monster doesn't get to "fade out" without a reference. a headline, or something, in the closing credits should show what happened to the monster.

Lu Tze
2nd February 08, 03:29 PM
It won, that's what happened. Duh.

Also: sequel. Duh.

Sun Wukong
2nd February 08, 04:58 PM
Oh GREAT, THANKS ALOT BUDDY. Now I can't watch it because you ruined the whole ending. God damn it, Now I have to wait for the sequel....

Edit: for the sake of clarity, I have no intention of watching this movie.

Steve
2nd February 08, 05:03 PM
Well if you change your mind, I recommend just watching the trailer over and over again for 2 hours. It'll save you the $10 bucks and you get as much out of it as everyone who went to the theaters did.

socratic
2nd February 08, 08:31 PM
I actually enjoyed Cloverfield.

My impression of "WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MONSTER!?" was that the bombing didn't work. They tried carpet bombing it once and it just limped for a little while. So far it seems like the monster is largely indestructable.

I think the whole point about the whole "WHAT HAPPENED!?" thing is that no one lived to tell the tale. Everyone's dead. Remember how in the opening it's suggested the military recovered the camera from central park following incident xyz? My point is that no one really knows (I think) what happened to the monster. It just killed everyone and then left, I think, is the idea.

Still makes me wonder where the little bahstids came from. My theory is either they're like Pilot fish that tag along with Sharks, or like, Cloverfield Jr.

rw4th
4th February 08, 01:04 AM
I actually enjoyed Cloverfield.

My impression of "WHAT HAPPENED TO THE MONSTER!?" was that the bombing didn't work. They tried carpet bombing it once and it just limped for a little while. So far it seems like the monster is largely indestructable.

I think the whole point about the whole "WHAT HAPPENED!?" thing is that no one lived to tell the tale. Everyone's dead. Remember how in the opening it's suggested the military recovered the camera from central park following incident xyz? My point is that no one really knows (I think) what happened to the monster. It just killed everyone and then left, I think, is the idea.

Still makes me wonder where the little bahstids came from. My theory is either they're like Pilot fish that tag along with Sharks, or like, Cloverfield Jr.

There's that scene where they just "fall off" the main monster. Beyond that, no real explanation as what purpose they serve. My bet is that they are like pilot fish.

Sun Wukong
4th February 08, 01:21 AM
i read that the thing stuck to the larger monster were indeed parasites.

boondock lee
4th February 08, 01:36 AM
I liked cloverfield, mainly because that monster was fucking invincible!

You guys know that JJ abrams did a viral marketing campaign on the internet which revealed a lot of background on the monster and why it appear and why it was so strong. ( CLOVERFIELD > Godzilla, cloverfield survived CARPET BOMBING)

Sun Wukong
4th February 08, 02:25 AM
there's carpet bombing? I thought you never got a really good look at the monster? I might watch this indeed.

Steve
4th February 08, 03:06 AM
Here:

WuJ9ZeAaf8k

Pretty much spot on.

Odacon
4th February 08, 01:08 PM
The monster has an AT field.

elipson
4th February 08, 03:21 PM
From the way the military was talking in the movie, they nuked it.

I thought it was ok. Better than the last Godzilla with the stupid guy with the glasses. Mathew broderick. That thing was fucking stupid.

I thought it was ok. Not as bad as I had thought. I didn't like the way they couldnt hurt the thing. Armour peircing bombs go through fucking concrete and steel, but couldn't hurt this damn thing? Come on...

socratic
4th February 08, 11:40 PM
there's carpet bombing? I thought you never got a really good look at the monster? I might watch this indeed.

Yeah, you get a really good look at it more than once. Like, when it's standing directly in front of the main characters, for example.

But yeah, they carpet bomb it.

To no avail. It stands up and slaps their escape helicopter out of the air, 'cause that's the way Cloverfield rolls.

boondock lee
5th February 08, 12:38 AM
I thought it was ok. Not as bad as I had thought. I didn't like the way they couldnt hurt the thing. Armour peircing bombs go through fucking concrete and steel, but couldn't hurt this damn thing? Come on...

Apparently from what I read from the fake websites that abrams posted for the viral marketing campaign, the monster came from the depths of the ocean, under the brutal conditions of extreme cold and extreme pressure. So Cloverfield can take a beating......................

mrblackmagic
5th February 08, 10:59 AM
That includes MOAB folks.

Plasma
6th February 08, 01:12 AM
Yeah, so it sucked.

Isn't anyone listening to me?

No because it was awesome to the power of 3

Plasma
6th February 08, 01:15 AM
i need closure... i have to know what happened to the monster.... i don't think it would go over very well with me otherwise. the blair witch... i didn't really care about it. it haunted some people, disappeared them and is still out there.

GIANT MONSTER bigger than the statue of liberty? That's something differnet altogether. That doesn't just get to fade out into country folklore... it just pulled rumble in the bronx vs. the entire population of manhattan + an entire brigade of national guardsmen.

The monster doesn't get to "fade out" without a reference. a headline, or something, in the closing credits should show what happened to the monster.

Welll if you stayed till after credits there in a radio broadcast after the "ending" saying its still alive.

socratic
6th February 08, 04:31 AM
Welll if you stayed till after credits there in a radio broadcast after the "ending" saying its still alive.
Backwards, though.

Also, guyz, here's what I've gathered about the 'prologue' to ol' Clovy's emergence:

Some satelite belonging to a Japanese corporation (the one that hired Rob) falls out of orbit for some reason and lands on Clovy. I haven't been bothered to sit down and understand what the Manga is about, but the pictures suggests the company that owns the company that hired Rob is the one that owns the satelite, and apparently is involved in all kinds of 'deep sea' shenanigans, such as some bizarre additive 'from the sea' (lol Clovy juice?) for their drinks. Anyways, satelite lands in ocean without anyone noticing (see ferris wheel scene at the end of the movie) and sinks for some reason to the bottom of a deep sea trench, possibly landing on ol' Mr Grumpypants, causing him/her/it to emerge in a torrid fury/insane fear and go on an asswhupping rampage. And the little bahstids are parasites, for some reason, since tiny little crabdogmonsters would also survive that kind of pressure and lameness that is the bottom of a deep sea trench.

I love movies/things that have an 'expanded universe'. It's like a movie that keeps on giving.

Like sequels, for example, or prequels.

Steve
6th February 08, 04:34 AM
Spoiler tags end with [/spoiler]

mrblackmagic
6th February 08, 11:14 AM
Backwards, though.

Also, guyz, here's what I've gathered about the 'prologue' to ol' Clovy's emergence:

Some satelite belonging to a Japanese corporation (the one that hired Rob) falls out of orbit for some reason and lands on Clovy. I haven't been bothered to sit down and understand what the Manga is about, but the pictures suggests the company that owns the company that hired Rob is the one that owns the satelite, and apparently is involved in all kinds of 'deep sea' shenanigans, such as some bizarre additive 'from the sea' (lol Clovy juice?) for their drinks. Anyways, satelite lands in ocean without anyone noticing (see ferris wheel scene at the end of the movie) and sinks for some reason to the bottom of a deep sea trench, possibly landing on ol' Mr Grumpypants, causing him/her/it to emerge in a torrid fury/insane fear and go on an asswhupping rampage. And the little bahstids are parasites, for some reason, since tiny little crabdogmonsters would also survive that kind of pressure and lameness that is the bottom of a deep sea trench.

I love movies/things that have an 'expanded universe'. It's like a movie that keeps on giving.

Like sequels, for example, or prequels.

I figured the monster was the Slusho guy's mother. Hmm.

new2bjj
6th February 08, 02:06 PM
http://www.themoviespoiler.com/Spoilers/cloverfield.html

For those of you that don't feel like paying $ 9.00 for a movie filmed with a camcorder. I'm sure the suits in Hollywood said-" look at that cheap stuff on youtube that people watch for free! Is there anyway we can make $$$ off it, and spend nothing? I know! HYPE it too death!

Shawarma
6th February 08, 04:46 PM
Why on earth would anyone pay to go see another Giant Monster Invades City movie?

mrblackmagic
7th February 08, 10:48 AM
Why on earth would anyone pay to go see another Giant Monster Invades City movie?

subconscious Godzilla complex. Lord knows I've wanted to stomp a few cities.