PDA

View Full Version : The Dying Art Of Verbal Abuse In Cricket.

Truculent Sheep
12th January 08, 11:31 PM
A true Gentleman's sport...

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/article/4263/

... As is customary in this column I find myself having to champion the dark art of verbal abuse in sport. Sledging has been widespread in cricket since the early 1960s when the Aussies first coined the term. In my view sledging is an entirely legitimate part of the game. When Sri Lankan skipper Arjuna Ranatunga called for a runner during a one-day international against Australia, wicketkeeper Ian Healey quipped: ‘You don’t get a runner for being an overweight, unfit, fat cunt.’ Sexual slurs about a player’s wife are favoured weapons in the sledger’s armoury. ‘How’s your wife and my kids?’ Rod Marsh famously asked Ian Botham...

...The problem isn’t that sledging has got out of hand. Rather it’s that Australia’s old ‘larrikin’ culture of irreverence and mockery, in which cricketers were considered robust enough to trade insults, is giving way to a new thin-skinned, easily-offended culture. It’s an old cliché that what’s said on the field of play stays on the field of play. Sure, the taunts and slurs might not be pleasant but they are forgotten in the pavilion afterwards. But, increasingly, what’s said on the field of play gets picked up by the stump microphones or else reported to the umpires. The most pathetic thing about the Bollyline dispute is seeing the Aussies, who practically invented sledging, running crying to the authorities when they get a taste of their own medicine.

If the Aussies didn’t like what Harbhajan Signh said to Andrew Symonds, the answer wasn’t to tell tales to the umpire but return the compliment, so to speak. They should have followed the example of former Zimbabwean chicken farmer Eddo Brandes when he was being taunted by Aussie fast bowler Glenn McGrath. ‘Hey, Brandes, why are you so fucking fat?’ shouted McGrath. ‘Cos every time I fuck your wife she gives me a biscuit’, replied Brandes. Now that’s the way to deal with a bit of name-calling.

ICY
13th January 08, 03:03 AM
I approve of taunts in sports. In hockey, you can get an Unsportsmanlike Conduct (minor) penalty for taunting opponents, but they're seldom given out. What's the backstory on this? What was said?

DAYoung
13th January 08, 03:48 AM
‘Hey, Brandes, why are you so fucking fat?’ shouted McGrath. ‘Cos every time I fuck your wife she gives me a biscuit’, replied Brandes.

That's fantastic.

As long as everyone's happy to play along, I have no problem with this.

If the cricket authorities really want to clean it up, they should do it thoroughly and precisely.

At the moment, they really don't care, but everyone has to keep up the charade of politeness and care. (Nothing wrong with politeness and care, as long as they're real.)

ICY
13th January 08, 05:23 AM
Yes, there is, politeness and care translate to politically correct and faggy, in American.

DAYoung
13th January 08, 05:30 AM
Politely put, Sir.

Cullion
13th January 08, 05:30 AM
Yes, there is, politeness and care translate to politically correct and faggy, in American.

America may be the one country on the planet that actually needs political correctness.

ICY
13th January 08, 06:52 AM
No, I think we need it more in Canada, you see, we have Quebec...and they tend to blow things up and kidnap Britons when we bug them too much...and even when we don't bug them, they threaten to leave and flush our economy and our confederation down the toilet.

The_Tao
13th January 08, 06:06 PM
America may be the one country on the planet that actually needs political correctness. Nah, let the riots start.....

Yiktin Voxbane
16th January 08, 09:56 PM
They should have followed the example of former Zimbabwean chicken farmer Eddo Brandes when he was being taunted by Aussie fast bowler Glenn McGrath. ‘Hey, Brandes, why are you so fucking fat?’ shouted McGrath. ‘Cos every time I fuck your wife she gives me a biscuit’, replied Brandes. Now that’s the way to deal with a bit of name-calling.

LOL ! the sparkling word play and jibe-joust that this example displays, is why cricket is FAR elevated among sports :)

Instead of the boring cricket-show being shown during the luncheon break (Test match cricket is a 5 or 6 day game) , they could show Worlds funniest sledging reactions .

This piece was written after one of the curry-munchers called Andrew Symonds (http://images.google.com.au/imgres?imgurl=http://in.yimg.com/twenty20/player_images/australia/160x224/andrew-symonds.jpg&imgrefurl=http://worldtwenty20.yahoo.com/player-profile/australia/andrew-symonds.html&h=224&w=160&sz=40&hl=en&start=26&tbnid=PmINkgJC0r3iDM:&tbnh=108&tbnw=77&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dcricket%2Bandrew%26start%3D20%26gbv%3 D2%26ndsp%3D20%26svnum%3D10%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN) a Monkey . Thing is, Symonds does infact, look like a monkey .

EuropIan
17th January 08, 09:01 AM
Forget the cricket.. Just make the game around insults

YAmYKrNmh3Y

Thinkchair
17th January 08, 08:47 PM

This is true. Of course, the art of verbal abuse is alive and well in the states. Just try wearing a yankees hat to a Red Sox game. Or take public transportation.

Kein Haar
18th January 08, 08:14 AM
Apparently this particular Yankees taunt is ubiqitous. An acquaintance came back and reported this very thing directed toward someone seated near him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztPQieRucKE