PDA

View Full Version : The Dalai Lama

Tyrsmann
12th January 08, 06:46 PM
I just got done watching the movie "10 questions with the Dalai Lama", or atleast I think thats what it was called.

But anyway the movie made him sound like a fairly reasonable individual.

It even showed him with books by Carl Sagan.

Has anyone else seen that movie?

If so, what did you think of it?

Edit: He sounds like he's castrated.

Tyrsmann
12th January 08, 07:00 PM
Got moved, fair enough.

But since it was about the Dalai Lama I thought it would better if I posted in Ground Zero.

WarPhalange
12th January 08, 11:36 PM
As far as I can tell, he's like a sane Pope.

Tanhalen21
13th January 08, 01:42 AM
Just to play Devil's advocate, read this:

http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html

"
For hundreds of years competing Tibetan Buddhist sects engaged in bitterly violent clashes and summary executions. In 1660, the 5th Dalai Lama was faced with a rebellion in Tsang province, the stronghold of the rival Kagyu sect with its high lama known as the Karmapa. The 5th Dalai Lama called for harsh retribution against the rebels, directing the Mongol army to obliterate the male and female lines, and the offspring too “like eggs smashed against rocks…. In short, annihilate any traces of them, even their names.” 7 (http://www.michaelparenti.org/Tibet.html#notes)"

socratic
13th January 08, 04:24 AM
Just to play Devil's advocate, read this

Even Buddhism has it's assholes. A friend of mine who lived in Sri Lanka suggested to me that thne Buddhists were selling guns to both sides and deliberately preventing peace talks in the area. Still, that's a sad thing to hear, since these men are supposed to be the enlightened ones.

Tanhalen21
13th January 08, 03:27 PM
Even Buddhism has it's assholes. A friend of mine who lived in Sri Lanka suggested to me that thne Buddhists were selling guns to both sides and deliberately preventing peace talks in the area. Still, that's a sad thing to hear, since these men are supposed to be the enlightened ones.

Yeah, from what I understand they're just as oppressively forceful as any other major religious figure

Arthyron
21st January 08, 05:21 PM
I was priveleged to be able to listen to the Dalai Lama speak at my university a few months ago. He's obviously a great, wise, benevolent old man that has done a lot of good for this world. As a Christian, I can say that he is probably a better Christian than most Christians are (myself included at times). While I disagree with him on philosophical and theological matters, I can fully acknowledge and appreciate his thoughts and the massive amount of work he's done for peace and understanding in our world.

I also had the privelege of listening to (and talking with) Dr. George Bebawi, an Egyptian Messianic Jew that taught at Cambridge for 20 years who is a friend of the Dalai Lama and has had several public debates with him. He thinks highly of the Dalai Lama as well.

bad credit
25th January 08, 08:29 PM
I remember when I lived in Portland Oregon the Dalai Lama came to town and some Christian group protested and picketed. They said he was leading people to hell. Then they quoted the bible for proof.

Tanhalen21
25th January 08, 10:26 PM
I remember when I lived in Portland Oregon the Dalai Lama came to town and some Christian group protested and picketed. They said he was leading people to hell. Then they quoted the bible for proof.

Sounds like a pretty fun time... I fucking hate people.

bad credit
26th January 08, 05:50 AM
Oh, I just sat at home and watched it on the news for the lulz.