PDA

View Full Version : Tacos: a taste from home

jubei33
3rd January 08, 07:09 PM
Ever been far away from home, feeling that dread, overwhelming homesickness? Ah time for some comfort food: tacos. Japan is only now starting to catch on to the goodness that is tacos. There's one problem: they're bland and don't taste like tacos. time for some taco DIY.

step 1: tortillas. mix 3 cups flour, a tsp salt, 1.5 tsp baking powder in a bowl. mix well. Cut in 4-5 tablespoons shortening. blend all that in and then add some warm water. You're going to make a dough so not too much and not too little is the key, maybe like a cup or so. You don't want it sticky, kind of like pizza dough.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/tortilladough.jpg

let it sit for like 10 minutes, then heat up a fry pan on low heat. Pinch off some golf ball sized balls and use a rolling pin to roll them flat. (Circles are better) heat in pan.

http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/rolltort.jpg
let them sit some where warm while you finish the rest of the stuff.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/piletorts.jpg
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/tortilla.jpg

step 2: taco meat and beans. heat oil add some garlic. add onions and nice peppers of your choice. saute them nice and then remove. Add meat in pan and cook nicely, then mix in the veggies again. Heat up a can of beans. Drain oil off of meat, then add in spices: salt red and black pepper, paprika, etc.
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p297/jubei33/tacomeat.jpg

Next spring: salsa, tasty salsa.

Cullion
3rd January 08, 07:11 PM
Could you give us non-americans more details about what 'taco meat' and 'spices etc..' means in a proper taco?

I've tried 'mexican' food in the UK, but it was obviously a crappy version of it that had been taken out of a packet and heated up in a microwave by british people who had no idea how to cook mexican food.

Shawarma
3rd January 08, 07:19 PM
Hey Cullion, where does one go to get decent fast food in the UK? Any specific tradition?

jubei33
3rd January 08, 07:25 PM
no sorry, if you don't know by now you'll never know.

just kidding. any kind of ground beef will do or chicken....fish? And the spices: salt, red pepper, a pinch of black pepper, paprika. garlic, onion, ah yeah a little cumin too (I forgot, my bad) that ones kind of important, and a pinch or two of sugar. All of this is to your taste by the way.

this is probably more of an americanized version of tacos though. I think Mexicans would probably use a bunch of mole or some other salsa. Maybe we have some Mexicans around that can fix it their way, but this is what I grew up with...

Cullion
3rd January 08, 07:25 PM
Hey Cullion, where does one go to get decent fast food in the UK? Any specific tradition?

Are you playing with me Shawarma? Assuming you're not, my favourite takeaway is Thai. There are plenty of Thai takeaways in the South East now. I dunno about the rest of the country. You should be able to find at least one decent Curry House or Chinese Restaurant within 30 minutes of where you live.

Shawarma
3rd January 08, 07:26 PM
Often, yes, but not at the moment. Because the local chip shops aren't that impressive, fastfoodically speaking.

Where do go 4 eatz?

Cullion
3rd January 08, 07:28 PM
Often, yes, but not at the moment. Because the local chip shops aren't that impressive, fastfoodically speaking.

Where do go 4 eatz?

I answered above, but basically the answer is to go Asian or spend lots of money on a restaurant meal.

jubei33
3rd January 08, 07:30 PM
what kind of curry do you guys like? Sag paneer, anyone?

Cullion
3rd January 08, 07:32 PM
I avoid South Asian curry these days because it's mostly cooked with a lot of ghee (clarified butter), and I'm trying to lose weight. I used to like bhuna and dupiaza. If I wanted a spicey-food endorphin rush I'd eat chicken madras with cold beer on hand.

Thai has the spice without all the butter/oil and they keep the vegetables fresh and crunchy.

jubei33
3rd January 08, 07:42 PM
yeah, thai is pretty good. I used to work at a place that made good pad thai, but after making it all the time I got tired of it. but then some green curry with eggplant, yum.

Zendetta
3rd January 08, 07:45 PM
I've started growing my own ingredients to make Thai food. Its actually easy to cook, but requires a bit of prep.

Cullion
3rd January 08, 07:48 PM
Thai soft ribs are the devil's food. Red curry with duck and pineapple. Chicken Tom Yum soup when you have a cold.

We have a lot to thank those people for.

Zendetta
3rd January 08, 07:49 PM
And lets not forget their approach to salad: it must have meat in it.

Ever had Laab?

Cullion
3rd January 08, 08:01 PM
No, but I've just googled it, and it looks delicious and good for you.

Emperor Cesar
4th January 08, 02:43 AM
Fajita Taco = sex

Steve
4th January 08, 02:57 AM
I prefer human females.

jubei33
4th January 08, 05:35 AM
tacos work for whatever meat you like dude, even stinky tuna

Lu Tze
4th January 08, 06:13 AM
And lets not forget their approach to salad: it must have meat in it.First the Thai gave us their wonderful boxing, and now this? My god... they are the master race!

Riddeck
4th January 08, 06:21 AM
no sorry, if you don't know by now you'll never know.

just kidding. any kind of ground beef will do or chicken....fish? And the spices: salt, red pepper, a pinch of black pepper, paprika. garlic, onion, ah yeah a little cumin too (I forgot, my bad) that ones kind of important, and a pinch or two of sugar. All of this is to your taste by the way.

this is probably more of an americanized version of tacos though. I think Mexicans would probably use a bunch of mole or some other salsa. Maybe we have some Mexicans around that can fix it their way, but this is what I grew up with...

Lots of Jalapenos.

The mexicans I work with eat em fucking raw. It is rad.

jubei33
4th January 08, 05:21 PM
Lots of Jalapenos.

The mexicans I work with eat em fucking raw. It is rad.

that just goes with out saying. If you eat tacos bring the heat. I think that was number 3 on that top ten list from the bible

Zendetta
4th January 08, 05:48 PM
Best Tacos are Baja-style Fish Tacos. There are also some prawn tacos with habanero-corn salsa available at one of my favorite tacquerias that are fucking mind blowing.

Fun fact: the real good ones have fried fish, done kind of like tempura - the style is said to have been introduced by Japanese fiashermen to the mexicans.

Zendetta
4th January 08, 05:51 PM
Red curry with duck and pineapple. Chicken Tom Yum soup when you have a cold.

I like to make a big pot of spicy red curry chicken after I've been snowboarding - good to get the chill out of the bones.

Also: Thai women* are hot.

*check for adam's apple if in Bangkok.

jubei33
4th January 08, 05:53 PM
learned lesson the hard way^^^:)

Kiko
4th January 08, 05:54 PM
http://www.jinx.com/Content/Product/860p_0c_ZoomB.jpg

jubei33
4th January 08, 05:57 PM
one pat nagle's anger surprise please?

Kiko
4th January 08, 05:59 PM
Let me take the zeppelin down to Stranglethorn and I'll have it ready in a little bit!

Neildo
14th September 08, 11:54 PM
I just made the best fucking tacos EVER. My guac made that taco pop lol.

move thread to appropriate sub-forum plz KTHXSTEVE YAY

http://neildato.googlepages.com/DSC00418.JPG

Ground beef spiced with cayenne, chili, and ground cumin powders and a heaping tablespoon of garlic.
edit: also threw in minced green onions, and chopped up the stems from the cilantro and threw that in.

Guacamole i made (1 avocado, some chili, cayenne, and sea salt, chopped cilantro and green onion and a bit of lime juice)

Put on some low-fat shredded medium cheddar, a couple of cilantro leaves, some diced tomato and top it off with some nice hot sauce and a drop of sour cream. fucking delicious. too bad i'm fucking flat broke and can't afford some cervesas. goddamnit.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
15th September 08, 12:34 AM
make me some tacos yeah?

Steve
15th September 08, 12:48 AM
Me too.

Neildo
15th September 08, 12:50 AM
lots of leftovers, guys. bring beer.

Steve
15th September 08, 12:57 AM
Goddamn it, that means I'm buying. Shit.

MJS, you better pick up some shit once we cross the boarder.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
15th September 08, 12:59 AM
i'm an expert at sneaking pot past the border. with my lungs.

Neildo
15th September 08, 01:00 AM
shit, don't worry about that. i always have that covered.

Steve
15th September 08, 01:07 AM
I'd be totally jonesing out of control right now but fortunately after a hard 3 hours of painting one of my mom's living room walls, she cooked me some chicken enchiladas.

Yummy.

I'm just trying to resist busting into the care package of leftovers she sent home with me....

Zendetta
15th September 08, 03:33 PM
what kind of curry do you guys like? Sag paneer, anyone?

LOVE IT.

Kein Haar
15th September 08, 03:53 PM
I'd be totally jonesing out of control right now but fortunately after a hard 3 hours of painting one of my mom's living room walls, she cooked me some chicken enchiladas.

Yummy.

I'm just trying to resist busting into the care package of leftovers she sent home with me....

Mexican't just isn't in your vocabularium is it??

Neildo
1st October 08, 03:24 AM
i made tacos again. somehow screwed up the spices and the meat doesn't taste as good. this time i spiced up some corn kernels with garlic and chili and threw those in. yummy. oh and shredded lettuce this time also. while i was washing it i was inspired to eat a huge bowl of lettuce with some sliced up tomatoes and italian dressing. it was tasty as fuck, i think i'm gonna start eating that at work.

Sun Wukong
1st October 08, 05:31 AM
Could you give us non-americans more details about what 'taco meat' and 'spices etc..' means in a proper taco?

I've tried 'mexican' food in the UK, but it was obviously a crappy version of it that had been taken out of a packet and heated up in a microwave by british people who had no idea how to cook mexican food.

oh the humanity. I lived in Texas for 7 years. The joy of the taco is a wonderful thing. It's not as filling as a burger, and if you eat enough to feel full, you've undoubtedly done your colon a great disservice that will be paid back in kind, but it's still fantastic.

Best taco sauce is tabasco. Bar none.

jubei33
1st October 08, 06:49 AM
if you have a uterus :smiley:

I'm a sriracha man personally, though tabasco is pretty good. No cock, no rock as they say. I made my own picante too this year, which was nice. That might be a good thread, not too much time left though.

made tacos again. somehow screwed up the spices and the meat doesn't taste as good. this time i spiced up some corn kernels with garlic and chili and threw those in. yummy. oh and shredded lettuce this time also.

What was wrong with it? what did you use?

Zendetta
1st October 08, 12:44 PM

Tapatio, Gringo.

(actually, I fucking LOVE tabasco)

Neildo
19th October 08, 08:52 PM
taco bell doesn't count. their meat comes out of a caulking gun.

Neildo
19th October 08, 09:08 PM
oh yeah we have those up here too. it's pretty decent. LOL at their fish tacos, but damned if they're not tasty.

Zendetta
20th October 08, 03:40 PM
a good baja fish taco is sublime.

And cross-cultural! Apparently, Japanese fishermen introduced tempura frying to mexicanos.

Sun Wukong
20th October 08, 04:23 PM
Tacos are kick ass.