PDA

View Full Version : Resident Evil 4 for Wii Review: Cave Trolls, Giant Robots, and Saddam Hussein

WarPhalange
20th December 07, 06:18 PM
But hold the zombies and scares. Fuck, I couldn't fit that all into the title.

So here we go. I got this game last Friday after seeing the Wii commercial for it on the RE5 thread.

Right off the bat I knew it would be different than the other RE games, because I was told so. More actiony. Damn right is. Still an awesome game.

Story:

You start out as Leon. S. Kennedy (from RE2 and I think RE3, although I never really played the 3rd one), now in the Secret Service, going to a remote part of Europe where Spanish is the native language and you're close to the coast.

You're there because the President's slutty daughter got kidnapped and there was a sighting of her there. This is all kept under wraps by the gov't because they think there is a traitor and starting a formal investigation would just jeapordize something or other.

So, you enter the village of Pueblo and immediately find that the people hate you and want to kill you. You make a note that they are not zombies, and that's pretty obvious because they can talk, climb ladders, open doors, point their finger at you, and throw stuff at you. Also use chainsaws. Turns out it's some sort of parasite that is inside the host.

A good start, but in regular RE fashion everything gets uber complicated and you are left not knowing what the fuck is going on. For starters, you almost immediately get captured. Twice. You are given the chance to escape ala James Bond and it seems like for the rest of the game nobody has any balls because they keep saying "No you done it! You gonna die now!" while throwing puzzles and shit at you.

The story doesn't leave too many questions unanswered, though, because by the end you really don't give a shit anymore. It's not complicated or anything, you just don't care.

Gameplay:

The gameplay is what I got this game for. Shooting zombies is a load of fun. The controls take a few seconds to get used to, and I was kind of annoyed that turning was so slow, but I never died from it. It's just annoying to be shooting a group in front of you and then want to check your sides, and it takes literally a second or two.

This game has less puzzles and more action, but the puzzles are just ridiculous. Shit like trying to raize a platform to get on the other side of the moat, when it is painfully clear that you could have just swam across it.

Well come to think of it, there are no "puzzles" in the game, since it's usually obvious what you need and you use stuff right after you get it. No more carrying an emblem from the start of the game just to use it right before the end or something. So really, it's mostly an action game with the stupid elements from other RE games thrown in to make it seem like sequel.

So keeping with an action game, you have multiple weapons. A lot, actually. You can buy them from a leper merchant who seems like he follows you around and trades your rubies, emeralds, and priceless artifacts for standard handguns and rifles. No ammo for sale, though. You can upgrade your weapons quite a bit, which makes the game more interesting.

Ammo is fairly plentiful, though, because enemies randomly drop it. Even the tentacle dogs and suits of armor. Yes, suits of armor get infected with the parasite and attack you.

Finally, bosses. Some of them are pretty tough and I had to try a few times to finally beat them, others are just push overs. The first "boss" you fight is a cave troll. From LOTR.

AIZBn2Kr6Mc

You fight more of these later, but I always screamed "Legolas help me!" whenever I encountered one.

But overall, even with all the stupid parts, the gameplay is very fun. Especially with the Wiimote.

Sound:

Who cares.

Game/Layout/Enemy/Things:

This is the rest of the game described here. The layout of the game is kind of shitt, since you are constantly moving forward. It's not like the other RE games where you keep coming back or moving through places to get to other places. Here you just open the door and keep moving. No real puzzles, like I said.

Stupid shit in the game includes:

A giant castle in the middle of nowhere with a Spanish Napoleon running it. The castle is huge and has its own trolly system, because the designers got lazy no doubt. It also includes huge pools of lava in places.

In this giant castle is a giant robot of said Napoleon. It is ridiculous as hell, since everything in the game is supposed to be all "old" style it seems. "Zombies" use shields, maces, and crossbows. And the odd rocket launcher and minigun.

Saddam Hussein makes an appearance. Not really, but that's immediately who I thought of when I saw the enemy. He weilds a minigun.

Cheesy dialogue from Leon. "You're just a small time pawn in my game, Mr. Kennedy." How does he respond? "You're small time, Saddler." Seriously, who wrote this shit?

However, the game is still worth playing because you'll have too much fun to notice all the stupid shit. None of it is very frustrating, and at the end you get 3 bonus minigames. I've only played "The Merceneries" where you go around killing shit, but there's also 2 where you play with Ada Wong and it is set at the same time as Leon's game, which is supposed to explain some of the occurences in the game.

Overall Score: 7/10

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th December 07, 06:24 PM
Extras:

Leon's police suit: Doesn't do anything.
Leon's gangster suit: gives Ashley a suit of armor, making her invincible
Tommy gun: EZmode
Lazer gun thing: Less useful than the tommy, but I think it works like a flash grenade to kill the parasites. Been a while.
Hand cannon: 99 attack is lol but too much extra effort compared to the tommy gun.

WarPhalange
20th December 07, 06:27 PM
Those aren't that important. The extras I was referring to are the 3 minigames you get after you beat the game.

You can buy an infinite rocket launcher, and the gun Leon used in RE2 after you beat the game. You need to do some stuff to get the tommy gun and the hand cannon.

Neildo
20th December 07, 06:45 PM
after having beat this months before the PS2 version was even released, i have a hard time picturing playing this with a light gun.

also, jill valentine was in RE3. That one was kinda lame but it had Jill in it so yeah fapfapfap

re: turning around. if you press down on the d-pad and the button you hold for running, i'm pretty sure he does a fast turnaround thing. they also added that to the re-release of RE1, which is fan-fucking-tastic.

i'm such a fan of the series, i paid $50 to get a version of RE2 for gamecube. To make up for that painful buyers-remorse like feeling, i downloaded the ps1 version and emulated it on psp, but it's not as fun playing it on the bus as it is in a dark room on a big tv.

WarPhalange
20th December 07, 07:18 PM
To do a 180 turn, yes, you just press down or whatever. But a 90 to the left or right takes a while, which is a bit annoying.

EuropIan
20th December 07, 07:24 PM
Resident Evil 4 is a good cheesy game.

7oXx0qwe0wc

WarPhalange
20th December 07, 07:33 PM
LOL they actually arrested him? Hahahaha

Neildo
20th December 07, 07:38 PM
what i was meaning to say was; when you want to check your flank, you do a 180 and then you can back away from any bad guys on whichever side they may be. it gives you more reaction time to draw down or reload if you have to. i did the 180 maneuver a lot.

its a bit faster than shuffling to the left or right, that just takes forever. i'm used to the gamecube analog controller too, i don't know if the wiimote makes a difference.

EuropIan
20th December 07, 07:55 PM
Neildo is on the money.

the characters may handle like tracktors. But they're tracktors that can do quick a 180.

Also, a way of ammo conservation.

1. Shoot zombie in foot, causing them to kneel
2. run up to them
3. action button. you'll get a roundhouse(peasant) or a suplex(soldier), suplex insta kills

Can't remember if it prevents parasite spawn.

of course..there's plenty of ammo around. but it helps if you just decided to waste 3 clips of ammo for fun.

So the aiming is prettty much spot on when you get used to it?

SpringHeeledJack
20th December 07, 08:47 PM
It's a great game. The only part that really annoys me is that giant fucking fish. I never died fighting the thing, but it always takes a long time for me to kill it. It got tedious on my replays.

To get the hand cannon you have to get a five star rating on every stage with every character on the mercenaries minigame. This was much harder to accomplish than completing the regular game and probably took me three times as long. It was awesome to be able to play as Jack Krauser and Wesker though. The handcannon kills just about anything with one shot. It's kind of like the old Magnum in RE2.

To get the laser cannon, you have to complete the game on professional difficulty. If there are enemies in a relatively straight line in front of you, one shot will instantly kill all of them. It kills most bosses with one shot. It takes a incredibly annoying long time to charge though.

Also, you can shoot fish and crows and sell them to the arms dealer to get money. I just thought that funny.

RE3... lame

For shame.

WarPhalange
20th December 07, 09:42 PM
Yeah, I'm playing The Mercenaries right now. Oddly enough, the village stage is the hardest. The people there are tougher than in any other stage.

First thing to do is grab all the extra time, and then take your time for 5 minutes and not die.

SpringHeeledJack
20th December 07, 09:55 PM
I thought so too. Well, that and the waterworld stage. That fucking chainsaw maniac guy is a son of a bitch.

In the village, I just went in that barn, climbed up the ladder, and kicked it down. Everytime they try to put it up, I'd kick it down again. I'd wait until the room fills up with the fuckers and take the bonus kill thing. Then shoot the exploding barrel. I've gotten 13 kills by doing that, each worth an extra 1000 points.

RaiNnyX4
20th December 07, 10:04 PM

7oXx0qwe0wc

LOL, that was awesome.

And you guys are noobs. I got RE4 for Wii over the summer and unlocked EVERYTHING.

God, the Wii really rules.

WarPhalange
20th December 07, 10:06 PM
Yeah, that's a good strategy. I'll have to try that with Ada and Wesker. HUNK just mauls everybody in that stage. Even the chainsaw grammas don't stand a chance. You just shoot them in the face and break their necks. It's awesome.

SpringHeeledJack
20th December 07, 10:25 PM
I got RE4 for Wii over the summer and unlocked EVERYTHING.I unlocked everything in less than a week.

WarPhalange
20th December 07, 10:29 PM
What is this, some kind of loser contest?

SpringHeeledJack
20th December 07, 10:34 PM
....but he called me a noob.

Steve
21st December 07, 12:21 AM
It's a great game. The only part that really annoys me is that giant fucking fish. I never died fighting the thing, but it always takes a long time for me to kill it. It got tedious on my replays.

Believe it or not, I haven't gotten past that giant salamander fish thing yet. I got so frustrated with it I quit playing RE4 (even though I loved playing it for those 1-2 days). :(

I blame my having sex with my girlfriend again (after that brief hiatus) for why I didn't get back into the game.

SpringHeeledJack
21st December 07, 12:34 AM
You die there?

Steve
21st December 07, 12:37 AM
I guess that is what I was trying to get across.

In case there is a different fish, I'm talking about when you first get in a boat and your anchor gets hooked up on the damn thing.

SpringHeeledJack
21st December 07, 12:38 AM
That's it. What, do you just fall out the boat and get eaten?

WarPhalange
21st December 07, 02:00 AM
That part took me a few tries, too. Eventually I got the hang of it, though.

Steve
21st December 07, 02:38 AM
Yeah, I would fall out of the boat.

Neildo
21st December 07, 03:57 AM
For shame.

Hey don't get me wrong, i played that hell out of that game. It's just no RE2, and the RE1 remake kicks it's ass. I just found out RE3 was released on gamecube though, so i might try and ebay a copy.

WarPhalange
21st December 07, 04:03 AM
I beat RE2 with Leon and decided to just stop with Claire I think it was. Just "meh" is all. I think I took all the good stuff with Leon so nothing would be left for her.

I also played RE3 and remembered that the zombies were pansies there. Then I go to Nemesis in the kitchen and couldn't run away from him no matter what.

Neildo
21st December 07, 04:04 AM
Nemesis kinda bored the hell out of me, and i always cleaned house in that game. when you beat him in that kitchen scene, he leaves gun parts for the pistol.

Claires story is a bit different, and she gets different weapons. It's worth playing dude.

SpringHeeledJack
21st December 07, 08:49 AM
Hey don't get me wrong, i played that hell out of that game. It's just no RE2, and the RE1 remake kicks it's ass. I just found out RE3 was released on gamecube though, so i might try and ebay a copy.I think I'm going to have buy a second hand gamecube, only for the Resident Evil releases. I've never played RE0, and it would be cool to play the other 3 on something better than the original PS1.

On RE3, it turned me into a recluse. I played through it 60 some times. I got to where I could finish it in under 2 hours. My old girlfriend had to threaten to leave me so I'd put the game down.

Neildo
21st December 07, 11:25 AM
I think my personal best was just over 3 hours. I'm a horder, i don't like to leave valuable items behind.

RE0 is unmemorable. i have it, but i don't think i'll be playing it again for a long time.

Oh and wii should be able to play all these games too ;) ;)

SpringHeeledJack
21st December 07, 11:40 AM
I'm not a hoarder at all, but I like to kill everything that comes on the screen. When I would try for speed, I had to run by most of the zombies and shit. I don't really like doing that, but going for speed adds a little more replay-ability.

I got down to about 4 and a half hours for RE4, but that's still killing most all baddies, and being killed several times by Krauser.

Oh and wii should be able to play all these games too ;) ;)*slap*

Shawarma
21st December 07, 11:42 AM
Hey, anyone played either of the Parasite Eve games for PSX? I rather enjoyed those. Survival horror RPG, with a funny adversary from a microbiological point of view. (Your enemies were mitochondria who had "rebelled" and turned animals and people into evil monsters.)

WarPhalange
21st December 07, 02:16 PM
Why would you get killed by Krauser? That happened to me once, on my first try, when the battle started and I was like "Okay, what am I supposed to do. Oh. I'm dead." because he shot me with a TMP THROUGH A STONE COLUMN.

Which is something I forgot to add. You end up going to Ancient Egypt and Greece in the game.

Although I ran out of pretty much all of my ammo on that fight. I decided it would be a good idea to kill him before getting the 2 other pieces I needed to open the door. Apparently you can't kill him yet.

EuropIan
21st December 07, 03:53 PM
how do you use the knife on the wii?

RaiNnyX4
21st December 07, 03:55 PM
how do you use the knife on the wii?

You slash with the Wiimote as if it were a knife.

RaiNnyX4
21st December 07, 03:57 PM
Why would you get killed by Krauser? That happened to me once, on my first try, when the battle started and I was like "Okay, what am I supposed to do. Oh. I'm dead." because he shot me with a TMP THROUGH A STONE COLUMN.

Which is something I forgot to add. You end up going to Ancient Egypt and Greece in the game.

Although I ran out of pretty much all of my ammo on that fight. I decided it would be a good idea to kill him before getting the 2 other pieces I needed to open the door. Apparently you can't kill him yet.

You can kill Krauser very easily with your own knife. For some reason (I'm sure it was on purpose by the developers) it does a lot of damage to him.

SpringHeeledJack
21st December 07, 04:35 PM

Although I ran out of pretty much all of my ammo on that fight. I decided it would be a good idea to kill him before getting the 2 other pieces I needed to open the door. Apparently you can't kill him yet.I don't die during the actual battle. I die during the fucking cut scene that comes a little before the battle.

And yes, the knife is the key to beating Krauser, or the infinite Tommy gun.

WarPhalange
21st December 07, 09:21 PM
There are 2 buttons for weapons on the Wii, one makes you aim the gun, the other makes you take out the knife. After you tak out the knife, you just aim in the general direction and hit "A" and it slices. If you aren't aiming anything and you flick the Wiimote, then you do a quick slash with the knife.

Yes, the knife part with Krauser sucked.

Toby Christensen
1st January 08, 12:55 AM

7oXx0qwe0wc

Arrested for public nuisance, I'd guess.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st January 08, 01:00 AM
too fat, not funny