PDA

View Full Version : Glenrothes Scotch Whiskey

jubei33
1st December 07, 08:39 PM
I picked this up at the store last night and I was impressed. Impressed with the flavor as well as the price. For the price I was expecting a mid level flavor, but I was surprised to say the least. 40$ was all I paid for this delicious treat. This is a 12 year old single speyside malt with a sweet, complex fruity taste evaporated away by a nice flame of heat in the throat. The earthy, wood flavors are accentuated by the light caramel color which are beautiful to look at in the glass. My advice: Buy and save for a nice winter evening after work. Its worth it.

SFGOON
1st December 07, 09:30 PM
It's all about the Dalwhinnie. If you're too poor to afford it, you need to switch to Southern Comfort.

jubei33
2nd December 07, 07:51 AM
ha ha, so. comfort. Aren't they under the diageo umbrella? I see you recommend it, but what do you compare it to? how would you describe it?

MSphinx
2nd December 07, 02:53 PM
I've never tried Glenrothes. Thanks for the tip, I'll probably pick one up.

Has anyone here tried Glengoyne? The new 21 year old is amazing.

http://www.glengoyne.com/index.php

EuropIan
2nd December 07, 03:28 PM
I've never tried Glenrothes. Thanks for the tip, I'll probably pick one up.

Has anyone here tried Glengoyne? The new 21 year old is amazing.

http://www.glengoyne.com/index.php

I went to their distillery on a field trip back in my high school days.

Good (and tasty) times.

One of my favorite skotches.

Cullion
2nd December 07, 03:36 PM
Lagavulin when you're flush, Irish blends when you're broke.

EuropIan
2nd December 07, 03:39 PM
I'm broke... Recommend some cheap-ish whiskeys I can enjoy.

Cullion
2nd December 07, 03:42 PM
I don't know your tastes. Cheap whiskey is blended. Irish blended whiskeys like Jameson's or Tullamore Dew aren't much more expensive than utter shite like Bells or Teacher's, but they don't taste like petrol or scorch your throat on the way down.

DAYoung
2nd December 07, 03:43 PM
Cullion has a neat shot of Glen Correct.

EuropIan
2nd December 07, 03:47 PM
I think I prefer Jameson over Tullamore Dew..

Is Famous Grouse cheap? I can't remember..But I remember enjoying it the last time I had it. But I was drunk, so it may have influences my perception of it

Cullion
2nd December 07, 04:00 PM
I think I prefer Jameson over Tullamore Dew..

Is Famous Grouse cheap? I can't remember..But I remember enjoying it the last time I had it. But I was drunk, so it may have influences my perception of it

They make single malts as well as blended. If you asked for a shot of Famous Grouse in a british pub you would normally be served a shot of their blended. It's cheap and bad.

Scottish Whiskey is the most variable in my opinion. Their island single malts are the best whiskies in the world, and their mass-produced blended stuff is the roughest.

DAYoung
2nd December 07, 04:03 PM
I was in a Laphroaig mood for a while, but then the peatpeatpeatsmokesmoke-ness became too much.

I've got Glenfiddich in the cupboard.

Someone recommend my next whiskey.

EuropIan
2nd December 07, 04:07 PM
it was mentioned before...But Glengoyne is pretty tasty.

Cullion
2nd December 07, 05:32 PM
I was in a Laphroaig mood for a while, but then the peatpeatpeatsmokesmoke-ness became too much.

Well, it sounds like you're a fan of complex high-end stuff. I've always liked the Lagavulin, and now might be the last chance to try the good stuff for a while, because the distillery is apparently shut for refurbishment (they're apparently computerising it with the intention of letting the whole process be run by just one guy).

Some people are worried that this will kill the Whiskey, but I'm more optimistic. I'm all for craftsmanship in what I eat and drink, but I'm no luddite and I don't think computerisation will automatically make something bad. If they're still using the same raw ingredients, barrels, recipe and quality control standards it will still be good, maybe even better.

But the price might go up whilst they sell off their reserved vintage as they get the new system up and running.

Joking around aside, I'm no euro-snob when it comes to food & booze.
I've had some very tasty but light Canadian Rye whiskeys. I've never tried a single-malt Rye, but they exist, and I bet they're reasonably priced. Time to explore? I'd be interested in reading a review if you get the chance.

DAYoung
2nd December 07, 06:02 PM
Well, it sounds like you're a fan of complex high-end stuff.

I know, I know. It's a big surprise.

I've tried Lagavulin, but I can't remember it. It think it's high time I tried again.

SOMEBODY SEND ME A BOTTLE.

If I stumble across a Canadian one, I'll look into it.

Goldenmane
2nd December 07, 06:22 PM
I'm a Friend of Laphroigh, which means if I ever visit the distillery I get to see my square inch of turf...

...dammit, it's 8:21am and you bastards have me thinking about scotch.

Cullion
2nd December 07, 06:31 PM
As an aside, does Australia have a Whiskey making tradition?

I've never heard of such a thing as Australian whiskey, but this sort of surprises me, because you had a lot of scottish and irish settlers, and apparently without the 'puritanical exodus' behind the earliest british settlement in Canada and the US, yet the Canadians and Americans have been making Whiskey to their own (often Corn and/or Rye) based recipes for generations.

How do Australian moonshine?

DAYoung
2nd December 07, 06:32 PM
As far as I know, we only have 'Dinky Di' rum and bourbon.

NSLightsOut
2nd December 07, 07:08 PM

There's a distillery in Tasmania that started up about ten years ago that makes Scotch, and ages it in bourbon casks. I tried it at a recent single malt scotch tasting in Melbourne (Shame on you for not attending, DAYoung, only around the corner from your neck of the woods and only $30 entry). Too bourbon-flavoured and sweet for my liking.

As far as recommendations, the ever-fun Glenfarclas 105 (absurdly smooth cask strength, or the Glenlivet, preferably the 18. Both of them are big and flavoury, and alas not kind to the hip pocket.

Cullion
2nd December 07, 07:14 PM

I count pretty much any grain spirit matured in a wooden cask as a Whiskey, so I include American bourbons. Is this Australian bourbon any good?

jubei33
2nd December 07, 07:16 PM
dinky di? that sounds like what king cobra is for beer in the US.

I have a few new ones to try from this thread. Havent been around to lagavulin yet, maybe next time I go to buy some new stuff. Thanks for the tip(s) my peeps.

MSphinx
2nd December 07, 07:41 PM
I went to their distillery on a field trip back in my high school days.

Good (and tasty) times.

One of my favorite skotches.

Cool. I've been there too, the tour was excellent. My girlfriend doesn't drink too so I had more for me. :)

Here are some pics:

http://img235.imageshack.us/img235/2641/dsc01950tj8.jpg

http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/7255/dsc01949ug8.jpg

MSphinx
2nd December 07, 07:44 PM
They make single malts as well as blended. If you asked for a shot of Famous Grouse in a british pub you would normally be served a shot of their blended. It's cheap and bad.

Scottish Whiskey is the most variable in my opinion. Their island single malts are the best whiskies in the world, and their mass-produced blended stuff is the roughest.

Yup. The single malt version of Famous Grouse is called Glenturret. I don't like it too much either, but it is certainly better than the blended.

DAYoung
3rd December 07, 03:05 AM
I count pretty much any grain spirit matured in a wooden cask as a Whiskey, so I include American bourbons. Is this Australian bourbon any good?

I haven't tried it.

DAYoung
3rd December 07, 03:07 AM
There's a distillery in Tasmania that started up about ten years ago that makes Scotch, and ages it in bourbon casks. I tried it at a recent single malt scotch tasting in Melbourne (Shame on you for not attending, DAYoung, only around the corner from your neck of the woods and only $30 entry). Too bourbon-flavoured and sweet for my liking.

What? Where? Who? Why?

WHITHER AND WHENCE?

NSLightsOut
3rd December 07, 07:34 AM
What: Public entry to a primarily liquor industry centered show

Where: A random hotel just off Russell St, across the road from the Elephant and Wheelbarrow in the CBD - I was quite remarkably drunk

Whence: Three Months ago, or thereabouts

Who: The Malt Whiskey Society of Australia, accommodating sales reps who got a kick out of educating my heathen self in how the water of life is created, and getting me very drunk indeed. A lot of old blokes with luxuriant white beards who resembled extras from The Beverly Hillbillies. Some fellow young'ns

Why: I needed to get very drunk indeed on some remarkably expensive liquor at an affordable price

Most Importantly - Why this was not posted here: I found the ad in the Good Weekend upon the Sunday whence it took place. Verily, I dragged my carcass there, and emerged the better part of two hours later, and Lo! I did grin.

And for your general fund of knowledge, the Taswegian liquor I disliked was: Tasmania Distillery's Bourbon Single Cask Maturation - as it tasted far too bourbon like for my liking. The website resides hence: http://www.tasmaniadistillery.com/

Scrapper
3rd December 07, 09:50 AM
My current treat is Talisker's. I love that oaky, smoky flavor.

Lagauvilin takstes like iodine. You have to REALLY love that "peat-bog" flavor to drink it.

Balvenie is my favorite not-too-expensive scotch. The founder's reserve is delightful; and the double wood is divine.

Cullion
3rd December 07, 05:18 PM
Cullion humbly admits to liking the taste of distilled swamp-water, but dammit the Lagavulin people do it just right

OZZ
7th December 07, 12:42 PM
Glenmorangie Port Wood Finish - there is no substitute.
For cheap blended stuff to swig down I like Wild Turkey or Famous Grouse.
When I was in Scotland I went to the Glen Ord distillery and brought back a bottle of that. it was pretty good. You can't get it here though..

Kiko
8th December 07, 07:52 AM
Bowmore is very nice. I also recall Oban being interesting. I think it had a chocolate note in there.

DerAuslander108
8th December 07, 11:43 AM

If you're not big on peat and smoke, Dalwhinnie and Glenkiche.