PDA

View Full Version : Fallout: tactics

jubei33
10th November 07, 09:02 AM
I bought this game at a second hand store recently:

Rather than: "Hey, this is not fallout 3", Released too early is a phrase that adequately describes this game. Much of the criticism following this game stems from the fact that most people were expecting a straight up sequel to the fallout franchise. Instead of this, I want to actually critique the game itself as even though it was rushed through production it is a playable game based on a good premise.

The issues

As should be expected with an unfinished game there is a problem with depth. The characters are one dimensional, it virtually doesn't matter who you choose, the only difference will be starting skill sets. As such, skills such as steal, barter, pilot and others are virtually a waste of skill points simply because there are so few opportunities to make use of them. Even the lock pick skill is nearly useless as the game actually only requires its use two or three times to proceed, but then there usually is a key.

Furthermore, there are few opportunities for combat outside of missions. I'm not talking about map encounters (there are an insane amount of those), but sub missions or additions to the story that can change the outcome of the game. One of the fun things about the original and the second title was the flexibility of the story. In fallout 2, you could get married and have a sidekick or sell her (or him) into slavery, or betray a whole town to the enemy, etc. In tactics, one of the major issues is the fact that there is little opportunity to use the skills you acquire and really change the environment of the game.

Game play itself is fine, but the issue of cover is hard to determine. There are three stances each providing the character with better defense, but with the terrain its hard to tell when a character is fully covered behind a car for instance. As this is one of the major points of the game, along with the use of team skills and tactics I have to say they should've put a little more time into it. The game's AI is also kind of weak and glitchy. If you pause and go to the menu the enemies will automatically stand and allow you a free shot. Cheats are nice, but it makes the game too easy.

A less serious issue is that of the bugs. Misspeellings are rampant and sometimes the briefings don't match dialogs. Also, there are some easter eggs that weren't finished, lockers that can't be opened and booty that can't be obtained. In some places ladders aren't connected to the terrain making the character unable to reach the goodies hidden above. This detracts from the game play, but overall its not an issue that becomes the game, its one more of polish and the sparse use of a spell checker.

One of the good things about the game is the graphics. A lot of time went into the colors, character death sequences, backgrounds, etc. This game is old, so I'm not comparing it to say Bioshock, but the images were crisp and easy to see. However, there was a problem with the screen's refresh. Sometimes when too much crap is going on, characters or vehicles disappear. This is usually an issue with the vehicles, but to be fair doesn't happen while in turn based combat.

Much of the appeal of the game comes from the wide variety of weapons at a character's disposal. Nothing feels better than sneaking up behind a mutant or some bozo and hosing him down with a Browning .50 cal. I thought the detail of the arsenal was a good addition to the Fallout series. Weapons aren't just classified as 10mm hand gun or assault rifle, its Cassul and AK-47. You can also have fun laying traps in doorways, playing with landmines and rigging precision explosive attacks. Flame throwers and grenades, especially, are useful from under cover. The fact that there is such a variety almost makes up for the issue of depth in the game.

Overall, the premise was interesting, but the game lacks the polished, well planned finish of the originals. The game play is straight forward and can be boring, because of the monotony of all the random encounters on the map. The missions can be challenging and team skills, weapon use and tactics make a difference in the difficulty. The issue of depth is the biggest issue and when it comes down to it, there are only 3 choices in the game and thats at the very end determining the endings. This is hard to get around when making a judgment on the game as a whole. If only they'd taken a little more time before release added some more hooks this game probably would've rocked. As such: 65% (maybe 70% on a good day)

JohnnyCache
10th November 07, 10:11 AM
man you know you could have spent that money on FFT:War of the Lions

Now that's a FINISHED game.

jubei33
10th November 07, 10:17 AM
does it cost more than $2?

Neildo
10th November 07, 11:01 AM
http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1209950

not for me.

i just liked the first fallout when you obliterated a dude with the minigun. that was always funny.

Shawarma
10th November 07, 12:33 PM
I liked this game and it occurs to me that you were apparently expecting it to be like the other Fallouts and disregard the Tactics bit. In reality, the game has little to do with Fallout and RPGs but it's still a pretty fun game. It gets fun as soon as you get a squad together and some OK gear to play with (AKs and rifles). The weapon progression is decent through the missions, with one ENORMOUS exception: Small arms and machineguns become WORTHLESS in the end missions and you essentieally NEED energy weapons and lasers to even dent the late game opponents, so you better make damn sure you tag energy weapons.

There are some issues with the game balance in some areas as well - In one of the mutant missions (think it was St. Louis) I got megakilled by minigun and rocket fire every time because the muties had more HP than my guys and outlasted me easily. Then I hired the ghoul that had that radioactive glow perk and thus had perfect night vision and then attacked at night. It was all sniper-shots to to mutie eyes while they sprayed bullets at the dark from then on, too easy.

Good game, although easily overshadowed by such giants of the turn-based squad RPG genre as Jagged Alliance 2 and the Silent Storm series.

PS: Jagged Alliance 3 will be out soon, using the Silent Storm physics engine! It will rool hardkor.

WarPhalange
10th November 07, 01:54 PM
I started playing it a week ago myself. I've had it for years but it was way different from F2 so it through me off.

I've adjusted to the style, and it's pretty cool, but the missions are fucking LONG.

WarPhalange
10th November 07, 01:58 PM
Oh, and I'll never bitch about a game being "unfinished" again after having bought Dungeon Lords.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dungeon_Lords

http://www.gamefaqs.com/computer/doswin/review/915110.html

jubei33
10th November 07, 06:31 PM
I liked this game and it occurs to me that you were apparently expecting it to be like the other Fallouts and disregard the Tactics bit. In reality, the game has little to do with Fallout and RPGs but it's still a pretty fun game. It gets fun as soon as you get a squad together and some OK gear to play with (AKs and rifles). The weapon progression is decent through the missions, with one ENORMOUS exception: Small arms and machineguns become WORTHLESS in the end missions and you essentieally NEED energy weapons and lasers to even dent the late game opponents, so you better make damn sure you tag energy weapons.

There are some issues with the game balance in some areas as well - In one of the mutant missions (think it was St. Louis) I got megakilled by minigun and rocket fire every time because the muties had more HP than my guys and outlasted me easily. Then I hired the ghoul that had that radioactive glow perk and thus had perfect night vision and then attacked at night. It was all sniper-shots to to mutie eyes while they sprayed bullets at the dark from then on, too easy.

Good game, although easily overshadowed by such giants of the turn-based squad RPG genre as Jagged Alliance 2 and the Silent Storm series.

PS: Jagged Alliance 3 will be out soon, using the Silent Storm physics engine! It will rool hardkor.

Nah, I liked the game and the squad tactics edge. Thats partially why I reviewed it. I think it was a valuable addition to the series, but given the issues above I had a hard time saying it could ranked above a C when, as you said, there are better examples lying about.

Yeah, thats true about the later missions, didn't think of it. Did you find the sniper rifle in one of the St Louis bunkers. They stashed a DKS in a trapped foot locker. I always used that to solve the muties, that and traps. That early in the game heavy weapons guys are kind of rare, but usually you can get guys who can use the m249, I play jack rabbit sometimes and draw em out into a kill zone. you can also throw grenades through windows at the ones in bunkers.