PDA

View Full Version : Hockey Thread - Everyone Else F*ck Off!

OZZ
5th November 07, 06:48 PM
This thread is being created so the few people who DO like the world's greatest game around here somewhere to discuss it.
Hell, even if no one posts here at least a Hockey thread will exist.
Seriously though, for those of you who watch Canada's favorite program - HOCKEY NIGHT IN CANADA - I want to know if you have noticed the same thing I have noticed this season.
On the Saturday night broadcasts there is no ticker in the top corner anymore. You know, the ticker that used to roll around every 8 or 10 minutes to let you know what the scores around the league are? It is conscpicuously absent this season for some strange reason. We are lucky if we even get an update on non-Canadian teams until Scoreboard Saturday comes on.
Why? This is bugging the hell out of me. On ESPN or TSN or any other broadcast you see the ticker all the time. What the hell is going on with HNIC?

Mas
15th November 07, 04:29 AM
http://www.cornwallwow.org.uk/images/help/cricket1.jpg

Steve
15th November 07, 04:35 AM
ZX6dgm25CQM

OZZ
15th November 07, 02:08 PM
Is that video supposed to be some sort of analogy to the simplicity/stupidity of hockey in your opinion, Steve?
Also, I don't get the grasshopper thing.
Jeez..doesn't anyone want to talk about hockey?

Steve
15th November 07, 02:38 PM
Is that video supposed to be some sort of analogy to the simplicity/stupidity of hockey in your opinion, Steve?

Uh, no. It's just a video I found when I typed in "hockey" on YouTube.

Also, I don't get the grasshopper thing.

I think that is supposed to be a cricket.

I guess not.

Mas
15th November 07, 04:43 PM
Yeah, it was supposed to be a cricket.

Failure.

ICY
15th November 07, 05:37 PM
I don't give a shit about the ticker, but Montreal is far overdue for a cup...this is the year, IMO.

OZZ
16th November 07, 10:24 AM
A lot of the 'experts' thought Montreal would really suck this year..so far they are wrong.
Personally, I think they are going to do better than some people think. Huet is underrated.

OZZ
22nd November 07, 11:36 AM
OK..the ticker finally made an appearance on Saturday's broadcast. It was during the 2nd period of the first game.
Just wanted to let the other two people reading this thread know.

ICY
22nd November 07, 04:08 PM
LOL, info I couldn't have lived without.

Anyway, it seems at least they've got a chance at the playoffs this year.

OZZ
5th January 08, 05:19 PM
Canadian Juniors won the gold for the 4th consecutive year this afternoon!!
A bit scary when they gave up a goal in the 3rd and the Swedes forced OT..but we came out on top in true Canadian fashion - a drive -to -the -net goal.
Final score Canada 3 Sweden 2
HOORAY!!

WarPhalange
5th January 08, 08:18 PM
Ahh Hockey. Shitty MMA on ice!

ICY
6th January 08, 05:59 AM
It sucked, I was working and it was on, but I could check the score every couple mins, then when I had to leave, Sweden tied it and I didn't get to see the end.

Montreal's sitting in 5th, I'd like to see them make 4th, but I don't see them outplaying Crosby, or anyone assassinating the top 5 players on Ottawa.

OZZ
10th January 08, 04:10 PM
It sucked, I was working and it was on, but I could check the score every couple mins, then when I had to leave, Sweden tied it and I didn't get to see the end.

Montreal's sitting in 5th, I'd like to see them make 4th, but I don't see them outplaying Crosby, or anyone assassinating the top 5 players on Ottawa.

Hey Cracky..I am going to a Habs game this year. On Feb 26th they play Atlanta and I will be there 13 rows from the ice. ticket cost me $135.00.

OZZ
19th January 08, 06:40 PM
What a pathetic organization..Ferguson twisting in the wind..Peddie a fucking arrogant, greedy idiot can't get along with anyone who actually knows something about hockey. Goddamn franchise hasn't won a cup since the league expanded from having only 6 teams..what a joke.
I am so sick of watching them.and have no choice because of the region I live in. I am too cheap to pay for the NHL network..I know nobody else really reads this thread, but does anyone have the NHL network? I wonder how good it is..

EDIT: Crosby's out for at least 3 weeks now with a sprained ankle. There are going to be a lot of people who paid for tickets to the all-star weekend who will be upset about that!

Feryk
28th January 08, 05:20 PM
Ahh Hockey. Shitty MMA on ice!

Philistine. MMA is simply hockey without the skates.

Feryk
28th January 08, 05:23 PM
As for the Maple Feebs, I feel your pain. The Oilers aren't much better right now, unfortunately.

Regarding the NHL package, it's good if you don't cheer for the local team because you can pick a new team, and still see most of their games. It's better if you have a PVR to record when you can't watch, because the game times will sometimes be way off what you are used to. I don't have the package, but a friend of mine does. He likes it a lot.

ICY
28th January 08, 06:46 PM
Hey Cracky..I am going to a Habs game this year. On Feb 26th they play Atlanta and I will be there 13 rows from the ice. ticket cost me $135.00.

Son of a bitch. I'm probably NEVER going to a Habs game.

WorldWarCheese
29th January 08, 04:54 AM
We need Milt over here.

Oh, and Cracky: You're a Canadiens fan? Hunh. Whelp, time to get this over with: I'm a Bruins fan. Have been for... well, since I was told Hockey was played in more places than the Yukon. We seem to be doing pretty well for a usually shitty team (I may love 'em but I gotta be honest), two players were nominated for the All Star Game (Chara, Savard) and while our offense sucks old man tits our defense, led by Chara, Lucic and Tim Thompson have been very good (I'm pretty sure we're still without a loss so long as we get more than one point's lead).

Bergeron is out and this has caused the offense, while still weak has had to put 2ndary and younger players on the ice a lot more and asked them to perform, which they have done just not on a regular basis and one can only assume how we'll fare with Bergeron back.

Tim is a God of the Net, saving the Bruins many a times and I have madd man-lub for his nuts.

We're still in the running for the playoffs (which is new) and while a lot of our big names like Sturm, Savard and Chara are showing serious signs of fatigue from too much ice-time, we're still going at it.

ticket cost me $135.00.
Bruins tickets cost me $20-35 depending on if it's "College night" or not.

In conclusion:
GO GO BLACK AND GOLD!

ICY
29th January 08, 05:52 AM
Scoring Summary
1st Period
Montreal 10:36, Tomas Plekanec 14 (power play) (Andrei Kostitsyn, Alexei Kovalev)
Montreal 11:30, Maxim Lapierre 2 (Christopher Higgins, Michael Ryder)
2nd Period
Montreal 13:18, Alexei Kovalev 19 (power play) (Mark Streit, Tomas Plekanec)
Boston 14:41, Aaron Ward 3 (Phil Kessel, Marc Savard)
3rd Period
Boston 2:01, Milan Lucic 4 (Peter Schaefer, David Krejci)
Montreal 11:56, Mathieu Dandenault 5 (Josh Gorges)
Montreal 18:49, Mathieu Dandenault 6 (Mark Streit, Bryan Smolinski)

Montreal 5 Final
Boston 2

Scoring Summary
1st Period
Montreal 0:14, Tom Kostopoulos 4 (Steve Begin, Bryan Smolinski)
Montreal 3:12, Michael Ryder 8 (Saku Koivu, Mark Streit)
Boston 12:09, Marco Sturm 16 (Phil Kessel, Marc Savard)
Montreal 16:44, Andrei Kostitsyn 13 (Mike Komisarek)
Montreal 19:57, Maxim Lapierre 3 (Sergei Kostitsyn)
2nd Period
Montreal 5:45, Bryan Smolinski 3 (Steve Begin, Tom Kostopoulos)
Montreal 7:04, Mike Komisarek 4 (Tomas Plekanec, Andrei Kostitsyn)
3rd Period
Montreal 7:10, Alexei Kovalev 21 (power play) (Mark Streit, Andrei Markov)
Boston 13:17, Petteri Nokelainen 5 (Dennis Wideman, Marc Savard)
Montreal 17:44, Andrei Kostitsyn 14 (power play) (Sergei Kostitsyn, Mark Streit)

MONTREAL 8 FUCKING GOALS, FINAL
Boston 2

Now, if Boston could just limit Montreal to a single goal...

If that wasn't enough, Montreal beat the Devils for the first time in years, for their tenth win in a row. 4th place in the conference. 2nd most points in the conference. Within sniping distance of Ottawa.

SpringHeeledJack
29th January 08, 09:04 AM
The only NHL team I care about is the Devils. It's hard to follow hockey where I live, as there aren't many games shown, and I don't even know what channel they come on, so I really don't know what's going on now.

KhorneliusPraxx
29th January 08, 09:11 AM
Move to Canada! Oh, wait...nevermind.

WorldWarCheese
29th January 08, 10:59 AM
Montreal 5 Final
Boston 2

MONTREAL 8 FUCKING GOALS, FINAL
Boston 2

Now, if Boston could just limit Montreal to a single goal...

If that wasn't enough, Montreal beat the Devils for the first time in years, for their tenth win in a row. 4th place in the conference. 2nd most points in the conference. Within sniping distance of Ottawa.
Meh, everyone in Boston knows we have a long way to go before things start to click in, and our track record against the Hated Canadiens is pretty damn awful. The thing is, while it's not pleasant, we've grown used to dissappointment after so many years of suckage and what little victories we can etch out on the ice are good enough to let us know better things are in store for out future (It's not as if Boston needs sports Miracles for a victory right now...)

Next year, with Bergeron back and some of the rooks pulling more weight to take the slack off of our vets I figure we'll be a whole new team to see and I think we'll take a lot of the hockey world by surprise.

And I think Auld was goalie for the 8 pointer.

OZZ
29th January 08, 12:38 PM
The only NHL team I care about is the Devils. It's hard to follow hockey where I live, as there aren't many games shown, and I don't even know what channel they come on, so I really don't know what's going on now.

LOL typical Devils fan who 'doesn't know what's going on'.
Fuck the Devils! Go Philly

OZZ
29th January 08, 12:40 PM
Meh, everyone in Boston knows we have a long way to go before things start to click in, and our track record against the Hated Canadiens is pretty damn awful. The thing is, while it's not pleasant, we've grown used to dissappointment after so many years of suckage and what little victories we can etch out on the ice are good enough to let us know better things are in store for out future (It's not as if Boston needs sports Miracles for a victory right now...)

Next year, with Bergeron back and some of the rooks pulling more weight to take the slack off of our vets I figure we'll be a whole new team to see and I think we'll take a lot of the hockey world by surprise.

Look on the bright side..your team absolutely stole that Finnish kid Rask from the Leafs. Look at Raycroft now..he's finished.

ICY
29th January 08, 04:27 PM

I don't think the Casucks ever let in that many goals with Auld in net.

WorldWarCheese
29th January 08, 04:39 PM
I could be wrong. I've missed a lot more games than I am happy with due to schoolwork, I just find it hard to believe "Tim T, the Savior of the Game" could let that many goals in, but I'm known for being wrong about this sort of thing a lot.

SpringHeeledJack
29th January 08, 05:13 PM
LOL typical Devils fan who 'doesn't kow what's going on'.
Fuck the Devils! Go PhillySuppose so. Hockey doesn't get a lot of play down here in the south. I only started liking the devils because when I was a kid I thought their logo looked cool. I check online to see how they're doing, but TBH, I can't recall the last time I watched a game. I'm not a real fan:(

WorldWarCheese
29th January 08, 05:26 PM
lookon the bright side..your team absolutely stole that Finnish kid Rask from the Leafs. Look at Raycroft now..he's finished
I'm excited about Tuka and yeah, when you root for the Bruins you take what you can get.

OZZ
29th January 08, 05:55 PM
I became a Flyers fan in the 70's when I was a kid mainly because of Bobby Clarke. The pics of him with the missing teeth really made an impression on me as to what a 'real hockey player' should look like.
In the 70's the Flyers were the bad guys and the the Habs were the good guys..I chose to root for the bad guys.
Plus I had an uncle who was a Philly fan as well...
I will cheer for Canadian teams though, except the Leafs. When you live in SWOntario and you are NOT a Leafs fan - all the media hype and BS surrounding the team gets absolutely naseous. I hate the organization and their fans are likely the most deluded in all of hockey. But, they are loyal. I'll give them that much.

WorldWarCheese
29th January 08, 08:20 PM
I'm going off of stats from over a month ago and by pure memory but: Aren't the Bruins beating the Leafs right now? And in the summer my friends and I will go to Toronto during a Blue Jays/Sox game and show them what a truly obnoxious and belligerent fan is. :P

(They did it last year to much hilarity but I was working ;_; )

ICY
30th January 08, 04:16 AM
Bobby Clarke is one of the biggest douches in the history of sports. We were born in the same town, to my neverending shame.

lant3rn
30th January 08, 06:02 AM
I became a Flyers fan in the 70's when I was a kid mainly because of Bobby Clarke. The pics of him with the missing teeth really made an impression on me as to what a 'real hockey player' should look like.
In the 70's the Flyers were the bad guys and the the Habs were the good guys..I chose to root for the bad guys.
Plus I had an uncle who was a Philly fan as well...
I will cheer for Canadian teams though, except the Leafs. When you live in SWOntario and you are NOT a Leafs fan - all the media hype and BS surrounding the team gets absolutely naseous. I hate the organization and their fans are likely the most deluded in all of hockey. But, they are loyal. I'll give them that much.

Wrong, I live in London too, and have lived in SW Ontario my whole life. Tons of leaf fans, and Bobby Clark is a dick, IF your looking for a hockey hero named "Bobby" choose Orr

lant3rn
30th January 08, 06:06 AM
Oh and Forgot:

GO HABS GO
http://www.themontrealcanadians.com/stanley-cup-1965.jpg

WorldWarCheese
30th January 08, 04:06 PM
Good note about the Bruins:
Players in the All-Star Event: Chara, Savard, Lucic, Tim Thomas

Chara's defending his "Hardest shot in hockey" title.

OZZ
30th January 08, 05:57 PM
Bobby Clarke is one of the biggest douches in the history of sports. We were born in the same town, to my neverending shame.

Yes, people love to hate him don't they.
Hell, if I wasn't a Flyers fan I would hate him too. BUT ..I AM!!

ICY
31st January 08, 01:30 AM
Valeri Kharmalov

OZZ
31st January 08, 03:19 PM
It was either us or them..Kharmalov was killing us.
One of the coaches was quoted as telling Clarke 'I think he needs a tap on the ankle'.

ICY
31st January 08, 08:28 PM
I know, but still...fucking cheap. I never cheat in sports. I've had chances to win by cheating, I never took advantage.

WorldWarCheese
31st January 08, 11:38 PM
What about the Bruins captain Bergeron? He was a wrecking ball on the ice and suddenly gets his face smashed in the glass by some jackass and is out of the season. Cheating is fucking retarded. It's a sport. If you can't win WITH the rules then take it like a man.

If you GOTTA cheat to win then cheat with some balls and just get a fan to place a full metal jacket inside the brain case of they player. (I'm not condoning this, just saying cheap little tricks are not respectable in the least and those who do them are fucking cowards)

OZZ
1st February 08, 12:40 PM
It was a slash..a penalty. Hundreds of slashing penalties are called every year by numerous players along with thousands of other infractions. There is a difference between penalties and cheating. A match penalty for intent to injure should have been called if it was deemed neccessary.
Did Clarke intentionally try to break Kharmalov's ankle?Who knows. By the way, it is a myth that the ankle was actually broken. He skated in the final game - although he was ineffective.
I think the fact that Clarke showed no remorse (and never apologized) is what really made people turn on him over the whole incident.
Was it a cheap shot - no doubt. I don't support it, but its ancient history now.
If you want to judge players by one cheap shot and call them completely unworthy then you can eliminate alot of guys over the years. Including but not limited to:
Dale Hunter - Crosscheck aganst Isles player in the playoffs (Turgeon?)
Chris Simon - numerous offenses
Todd Betuzzi - Infamous hit from behind on Moore
Marty Mcsorley - Two-handed slash to the head of Donald Brashear
Tie Domi - sucker punching Ulf Samuelsson ( I won't even get in to Ulf Samuelsson, likely the player I hate the absolute most of anyone in league history)
Bryan Marchment -numerous cheap shots over the years
Mike Foligno- head butting with his helmet during a fight
Terry O' Reilly - using his helmet as a club in a fight with Tiger Williams
Scott Stevens - multiple shoulders and elbows to opponents heads
Derian Hatcher - tons of cheap shots, especially elbows to the jaw (that guy reminds me of every asshole pig-farmer's son I ever played against..I played hockey out in the country growing up)

That's just a sample. Now look at that list..Bobby Clarke was a WAY better player than any of those guys. One of the hardest working players in league history. Let's not forget that Carke was renowned equally for both his backchecking AND his playmaking abilities.Three Hart trophies,two Stanley Cups. I think he won the Selke as well..
Bottom line - A player should not be defined by their worst action and/or moment. Clarke was a dirty player. But he was also one of the best ever.
Yeah, I know the Flyers are one of the most hated teams in the league. But this ain't figure skatin' boys...

OZZ
1st February 08, 12:48 PM
Just for the record..my favorite Flyer of all time is Rod Brindamour. Worst trade EVER...

ICY
1st February 08, 12:53 PM
Did Clarke intentionally try to break Kharmalov's ankle?

Well, he said he did, and I believe him.

Dale Hunter - Crosscheck aganst Isles player in the playoffs (Turgeon?)

Should've been banned for life for that shit.

I could comment on the other ones, but I never cared as much about most of them. There's cheap shots, then cheap shots with intent to injure, which is the ones that bug me. Most cheap shots are not with that intent.

You remember Gary Suter demolishing that Russian player's face in the '87 Canada Cup? That was the cheapest thing I ever saw in hockey until I watched a guy at a local junior game get his ankle busted by a slash from behind that had literally nothing to do with anything but the aggressor getting mad.

Me and the guys I was there with were really close to waiting for the guy outside after the game to have an unfriendly word with him as he never even got a penalty for it. But a few minutes later there was a bench clearing brawl and the officials were too busy with other guys to get to him...who was turtling and got hit at with at least 50 unanswered punches, so I figured that was fair.

Just for the record..my favorite Flyer of all time is Rod Brindamour.

He does charity events and autograph signings ever summer in Campbell River (used to live there).

OZZ
1st February 08, 01:12 PM
Suter is a real piece of shit. Kariya, Gretzky.if we had of had Kariya in Nagano things might have turned out different and we didn't because Suter cross checked Kariya earlirer that year and put him on the shelf.
I might even hit him if I ever saw him at a card signing or something. He's a fucking asshole.

ICY
1st February 08, 02:08 PM
Bad as the Kariya and Gretzky things were, the slash to the face of that Russian was way worse in intent, IMO. I can't even comprehend wanting to do that to anyone who hadn't raped or murdered a family member.

OZZ
1st February 08, 03:15 PM
Bad as the Kariya and Gretzky things were, the slash to the face of that Russian was way worse in intent, IMO. I can't even comprehend wanting to do that to anyone who hadn't raped or murdered a family member.

I can't visualize that one..I was 17 in '87 and most of that year is a bit of a haze. I even missed the Gretzky - Lemieux goal that won the series in Hamilton I was so busy getting into trouble..or getting stoned.

ICY
1st February 08, 07:59 PM
I only remember because I have one of those cheesy tapes of all the highlights from it. It was my favourite tape to watch (as opposed to cartoons, etc) when I was a little kid, and I find I still watch it once every couple years, so many fantastic plays, so many awesome players.

I was 5 in '87.

OZZ
5th February 08, 08:10 PM
Another one of my favorite Flyers..I am sure you all hate him just as much as Bobby Clarke..
Hexy's being inducted into the Flyers Hall Of Fame on Wednesday.

Ron Hextall: The Series that Defined a Legacy Wayne Fish FLYER Magazine Feb 2, 2008, 2:34 PM EST
Ron Hextall will become the 19th member of the organization to be inducted into the Philadelphia Flyers Hall of Fame during an on-ice ceremony at the Wachovia Center on Wednesday, February 6, when the Flyers take on the Washington Capitals.

Immediately following the National Anthem, there will be a career highlight video played and a ceremonial puck drop. During the first intermission Ron Hextall will be joined on the ice with his family for a tribute video and the Flyers Hall of Fame induction ceremony.

Below is the second of several features on Hextall that will run here on philadelphiaflyers.com leading up to the game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Legend has it the windows in Philadelphia were shaking from what sounded like Woodstock, Times Square on New Year's Eve and the Roman Colosseum all rolled into one.

Well, maybe it was just the loudest night in the history of the Spectrum and the window stuff is something Flyers fans swear must have happened.

Whatever the case on that warm May night in South Philly, a young rookie goaltender named Ron Hextall played what might have been the game of his life.

The noise threatened to blow the roof off the place just as the wind had done in the late 1960s. Through the cacophony of Game Six of the 1987 Stanley Cup Finals, Hextall turned aside one great scoring chance by the Edmonton Oilers after another.

Ron Hextall helped lead the Flyers to the seventh game of the 1987 Stanley Cup Finals against the Edmonton Oilers. (Getty Images)

I was in the building that night, just as I was for Game Six of the 1974 Stanley Cup championship game.

The decibel level of the two games was comparable, as was the goaltending of Hextall's to that of legendary Hall of Famer Bernie Parent in his 1-0 shutout of the mighty Boston Bruins.

In other words, one for the ages.

When J.J. Daigneault scored to complete the unlikely comeback and send the series back to Edmonton for a decisive Game Seven, Hextall raised his stick with both hands.

Less than an hour afterward, he needed a security escort to get out to his car.

Looking back 20 years or so later, Hextall, who will be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame on February 6, remembers that night fondly and agrees it might have been the defining moment in his career.

"That was huge,'' he recalls. "I remember when J.J. scored the goal. You're so into the game, you hear the crowd but you don't comprehend that's the loudest that's it been in that building, possibly ever.

"I think the one clear memory I have is, walking out after that game, we were in the regular parking lot like everybody else. I had to be escorted out. It was pretty funny. It was kind of like being a rock star, everyone was going nuts. It took a while to be escorted to my car because of the crowd.

"Back then I did have a rock star haircut,'' he adds with a chuckle. “I couldn't get ‘er cut because we kept winning.''

For the Flyers, the series did not turn out the way they wanted. In Game Seven, Hextall was once again brilliant, although the Oilers just had too much firepower.

Afterward, hockey's greatest scorer, Wayne Gretzky, called it the "greatest goaltending'' he had ever witnessed.

“It would have meant a hell of a lot more if we had won,”' Hextall, now assistant general manager of the Los Angeles Kings, says with a laugh. “When one of the greatest players ever says something complimentary, particularly at that stage of my career…it was early. For someone to say something like that, it's very flattering.''

The rest of the hockey world agreed with Gretzky's assessment. Hextall became just one of four players from a losing team to win the coveted Conn Smythe Trophy as playoff most valuable player.

Although there would be numerous other excellent moments in Hextall's career, this was no doubt his crowning achievement.

Imagine a first-year goalie setting the sport on its ear. His brash style - aggressive stickhandling and puck clearing, his flashy routine of banging his stick off all three pipes and willingness to take on any intruder in his crease - captured international attention.

The 1987 playoffs really established Hextall's reputation for the next decade. There would be ups and downs, but no one can take that magical run away from him. From that point on, everyone seemed to know that fiery competitive side of Hextall.

A dejected Ron Hextall accepts the Conn Smythe Trophy as MVP of the 1987 Stanely Cup Playoffs. (Getty Images)

“I think that's fair to say,” he says. “Obviously when you are in the Finals, there are a lot of people watching. Some people hadn't seen me the whole year because they might be out west or in Canada. A lot of fans watched the Finals.”

Teammate Brian Propp, now a radio commentator on Flyers games, says Hextall's style and ability kept the Flyers in a series in which they were overmatched in terms of talent.

“It's like any team, you look at the New Jersey Devils and Martin Brodeur,'' Propp says. “They have confidence that they can take some chances and go on the offense to score some goals when you need it because they know their goaltender is going to be there to back them up.

“Having a goaltender like Hexy behind you only afforded you more chances to take so that you could win games.”

Current General Manager Paul Holmgren was an assistant coach under Mike Keenan in that 1987 finals series. He remembers that Hextall had already established a bit of a reputation for handling and controlling the puck during the regular season.

It was his ability to stop the puck that seemed to catch people off-guard.

“By the playoffs, it was his goaltending that raised everybody's eyebrows, too,” Holmgren says. “We were charting scoring chances and Edmonton was getting 25, 30, 35 chances a game. He was unbelievable.”

The coaches on the bench - Keenan, Holmgren, E.J. McGuire - were astounded by Hextall's work against the Oilers, particularly in the last three games.

“I think he had given good goaltending performances (up until then),'' Holmgren says, "but I don't know there was a time when he had to be so dominant to keep his team in it.''

And yes, the fans responded with some of their greatest work in Philadelphia sports history.

"I heard guys talk and people who were at that game,'' Holmgren says. “They say it's the loudest it's ever been in any building that they can remember. That's going back a long time. That's pretty amazing. When J.J. scored that goal to win it, it was pretty incredible.”

Not many athletes want to admit their best year of work might have been their first. Although Hextall would go on to have a very good career, including becoming the first goaltender to shoot the puck into an opposing net, he was never quite able to duplicate that initial wild season of success.

Was '87 the high point?

“I would agree with that,'' Hextall says. “You say some people don't want to say they did some of their best work in their first year, but obviously some of your best work is when you play for a winning team.

“The fact that we had a good team that year and were in the spotlight I think adds to…how well a team did reflects on everybody. I'm no different than everybody else.''

The debate might never abate: Game Six or Game Seven? Which was Hextall's better performance?

Ron Hextall went on to score goals in both a regular season and playoff game. (Getty Images)

“When you lose Game Seven what you remember is the goals,'' Hextall says. “I think for me with Game Seven, I have to be frank with you, I remember the goals more than anything positive.

“I think back to Game Six and I think more about how we won it, a couple saves I made as opposed to Game Seven when you lose, you tend to focus on the negative.

“Obviously that run was some of my best hockey for sure, and certainly over a couple month period. Our whole team - and I'm not trying to deflect credit - but our whole team played well. It truly was a team effort.

“You look across the ice at who we were playing. The matchups, I mean let's be real, we didn't match up with them. And the fact that we took them to the brink I think is a tribute to every guy on that team, and the heart and character that we played with.''

Later in his career, Hextall would score goals both in the regular season (vs. Boston) and in the playoffs (vs. Washington).

Some say those goals, along with the way Hextall controlled the puck, revolutionized the position and spawned a generation of young goalies such as Martin Brodeur, the best of the current generation of stickhandling goalies.

The first goal is still a fond memory for Hextall.

“I think it was the perfect opportunity, the puck came right to my left side,'' he says. “It was a very good opportunity to take a shot at it. When I got the shot, I looked up ice and everything was clear so I knew I could clear the zone. Fortunately it went over everybody's head and into the net.

“I've said this many times, the special part to me was the whole team came over the boards and it was almost like we won a playoff round or something. Guys were real excited. I don't want to say it became a rallying point, it became a bit of a team accomplishment. Everybody was pumped after the game. The Flyers gave everyone a plaque with the game sheet. It became special to me because of the reaction of my teammates.

“It actually became bigger than I ever thought it would be to my teammates. That's what made it special to me.”

Induction into the Flyers Hall of Fame is special to Hextall.

"It means a lot to me,'' he says. “I think the farther you get removed from your career, the awards mean an awful lot.

"I've got fond, fond memories of Philadelphia. I'll be honest with you, I still feel honored to have played in that organization. I still think it's one of the best organizations in sports.

“As you mentioned, the Howes, the Kerrs, the Poulins and Bob Clarke and Bernie Parent, it means an awful lot to me. It certainly will be a humbling experience.''

Can he keep his emotions in check?

“It's going to be a hard day for me,'' he says with a chuckle. “I haven't been back to a game yet. This is going to be difficult for me, I can tell you right now.''

Good ol' Ronny. Never quite had the stuff in the big games, but he was a team player and changed the way goalies played the position.

Feryk
6th February 08, 10:24 PM
Hackstall?

Really?

OZZ
7th February 08, 11:42 AM
Hackstall?

Really?

Even have his jersey..hey, he was awesome in the eighties, If he hadn't ruined his groin (he missed an entire season because of that injury) his career would have lasted longer. His lateral movement went to shit and he was always a stand up goalie who couldn't make the tranisition to butterfly when the game changed so much.
But,they say great players change the game and Hextall changed the way goalies played net. He forced teams to change their tactics, because they couldn't dump and chase when he was in net. Coaches started to see the value in this and goalies began developing puckhandling ability like never before seen in the league.
Now, with the new rules restricting the way goalies can handle the puck, it doesn't matter as much. But for over a decade, it had a profound impact on the game.

Feryk
8th February 08, 03:53 PM
The thing I remember most about him is that he scored a goal (the only one by a goalie???), and after that, he was always looking for the opportunity.

OZZ
8th February 08, 04:08 PM
The thing I remember most about him is that he scored a goal (the only one by a goalie???), and after that, he was always looking for the opportunity.

Yeah, he actually scored twice. One against Boston and one against Washington in the playoffs. it was no fluke. Teammates say that in his early days in the league he could clear the glass at the other side of the rink from the hash marks in his own zone.
It has been done now by a couple of goalies (Brodeur for one),but he was the first to score by shooting and is still the only one to have done it more than once as well as the only goalie to score in a playoff game.
That stick is in the Hockey Hall of Fame.I saw it when I was there last summer.

Edit: spelling

ICY
9th February 08, 02:28 AM
I always liked Hextall.

Feryk
11th February 08, 03:33 PM
I liked Billy Smith better. Should've had a battle axe instead of a goal stick, though.

OZZ
14th February 08, 12:53 PM
I liked Billy Smith better. Should've had a battle axe instead of a goal stick, though.

Yeah, Billy the Butcher was a great money goalie. I have a few of his cards from the old days.
i like the Isles' current goalie - rick Dipietro as well. he knows how to handle the puick really well and I have seen him steal a few games. good, young netminder.

WorldWarCheese
20th February 08, 11:09 PM
Tim Thomas is quite literally the reason why the Bruins have won as many as they have. Well, him and Coach Julien. The Bruins.... aren't that offensive (to say the least) and every lead needs to be fiercely guarded.

OZZ
21st February 08, 07:26 PM
Thomas seems to be a bit underrated because the team isn't getting alot of attention. Trading Joe Thornton was the biggest bonehead move made by an NHL GM in a very long time..
Best Bruins goalie ever - Gerry Cheevers. His mask was also the best ever.

WorldWarCheese
26th February 08, 12:04 PM
Agreed. (Had to look up who you were talking about to be honest)

And yeah, Thomas is fucking amazing. Everyone in Boston realizes that we wouldn't have 1/3 as many wins without him (We still haven't lost a game in which we got a two point lead, the other teams just can score on him).

If only our offense matched...

ICY
26th February 08, 12:19 PM
i like the Isles' current goalie - rick Dipietro as well. he knows how to handle the puick really well and I have seen him steal a few games. good, young netminder.

But was he really worth $50 million?

Agreed. (Had to look up who you were talking about to be honest)

Sad.

And, to update everyone, Montreal is still chasing Ottawa, but only 3 games back(!) they could finish the season in 1st (long shot, maybe, but A shot at least). This is glorious.

WorldWarCheese
27th February 08, 01:17 PM
Boston just RAEPED Ottowa 4-0

We're 2 behind Montreal. Oh: If you buy tickets for 4 games at Boston Garden you get a free Montreal Ticket.

OZZ
2nd March 08, 08:30 PM
Well, I just got back from my Quebec trip and my game in Montreal. The Habs beat the Thrashers 5-1. It was a good atmosphere though, because the game was close until the third, and then Montreal blew things wide open and scored repeatedly.
Atmosphere in that arena is the best I have ever felt in a building.I've been to Neutral Site NHL Exhibition games in Hamilton and London and watched NHL games in Toronto, Buffalo, Detroit and , now, Montreal. There is a real winning tradition in that city, despite the fact they haven't won a cup since '93 or whenever it was. They remain the winningest franchise in NHL history (% wise) as well as having the most Stanley Cups.
Great night. I had a great seat and went to the House of Jazz afterwards and got loaded, then stumbled back to the hotel.
Montreal is a fabulous city. Lots of hot chicks..

ICY
3rd March 08, 04:09 AM
MONTREAL IS 1ST IN THEIR FUCKING CONFERENCE, MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!! That has to be for the first time (past the trade deadline) in quite awhile.

OZZ
10th March 08, 09:25 PM
The Flyers will be playing a home at home against the Leafs later this week. If Philly wins even one of those games the chances of the Leafs squeaking in to the playoffs are gone for good.
I am calling it now, Philly takes both games.
Fuck the Leafs!

PizDoff
11th March 08, 09:41 AM
Quite likely.

Quite unlikely that the Leafs will make the playoffs.
It is like they think they should win some games closer to the end of the season to give us hope for the next season.

Oh well, at least we have a GM. Hope Sundin resigns. Er, I mean re-signs.

WorldWarCheese
11th March 08, 07:27 PM
While normally I couldn't give two shits about Toronto I hope they win at least one of the two games considering the Flyers are the team right behind Boston and a loss or two would be nice (Of course now that I've said that it's all gynxed da fuxxup)

Can I knock on wood internet style? ::knock knock knock::

OZZ
11th March 08, 09:13 PM
FUCK!!

ICY
12th March 08, 02:10 AM
LOL, also, I enjoyed watching the looping replay today of Downey's sucker punch.

And Montreal is back in 1st after demolishing the Devils. This is grand.

WorldWarCheese
12th March 08, 02:36 AM
Bruins lost. Pretty badly too. This is not a happy day.

OZZ
12th March 08, 11:15 AM
At least the Flyers got one point last night, but blowing a 3-0 lead in the 3rd is shitty to watch!
They should win at home tonight.

ICY
12th March 08, 12:49 PM
...and to TORONTO. It really doesn't get worse than that (besides actually losing to Toronto).

OZZ
12th March 08, 09:01 PM
Ah, well..who cares. one point out of a possible four is better than no points at all. Philly still has a chance to get the seventh seed in the East instead of eighth.
Of course, if they end up eighth, they could end up playing Montreal in the first round...eh Cracky?
I can see another head- toilet- now scenario developing, only this time its me who ends up on the losing end.
or NOT!! lol

WorldWarCheese
12th March 08, 09:05 PM
I just hope the B's finally make it to the playoffs at all. (Mind of a Boston Hockey fan, huh?)

OZZ
12th March 08, 09:18 PM
I just hope the B's finally make it to the playoffs at all. (Mind of a Boston Hockey fan, huh?)

Like I said before there WWCH ..trading Thornton - likely one of the worst mistakes in the history of the franchise.
But, this Thomas kid is good and you have some younger prospects as well (Zach Hamill, Tuuka Rask) plus you have big Chara on the blueline. I would love to have that guy in Philly.
I just don't want the Flyers to miss the playoffs. I know they are going to likely go out in the first round anyways since we don't have Gagne OR Mike Richards.
I hate to say it, but Biron is kind of looking prone to letting in 3rd period backbreakers..( like Hextall) I hope this is not a trend that contnues. If it does, then Nittymaki should get the nod in the playoffs.
I think Biron will bounce back though. He's too good a goalie not to.

WorldWarCheese
20th March 08, 10:55 PM
But, this Thomas kid is good
Thanks, man. Thomas really is a hero for me.

plus you have big Chara on the blueline.
He missed 5 games.... we missed him.... ;_;

I know they are going to likely go out in the first round anyways since we don't have Gagne OR Mike Richards.
I know what you mean. We got three players who've missed more than half of the season (Bergeron's loss.... oh god... I think every hockey fan in Boston shed a tear and spilled a beer when he hit the ice.)

Biron is kind of looking prone to letting in 3rd period backbreakers..
:/ Ouch, that sucks. A good team might be able to balance out an OK goalie, but a OK team with a great goalie is a better combo IMO.

So yeah, the reason for the post: Fuck Montreal. Fuck the "Habs". Just fuck Canada in general (Sorry, Ozz)

So yeah, Chara's back, but we still lost. We still have the Habs again. And we still have two against Toronto after that. I'm more than a little worried.

OZZ
24th March 08, 03:34 PM
It is worth mentioning that this time of year is when some of the best damn hockey there is gets played!! The games are intense, teams are fighting for their playoff lives and the division and conference leads are up for grabs. I don't miss many televised games this time of year, the playoffs are the only games that match this time of year for excitement and energy.
Enjoy!! I know I will.

WorldWarCheese
24th March 08, 04:14 PM
SO FUCKING CLOSE. Well, the Habs got us 8-0 for this season.

Congrats to the Flyers for taking Our Spot. Don't worry, we'll soon have it back ;)

(And the game against the Canadiens was close as all Hell, even if we didn't win I'm proud of the B's Performance)

ICY
25th March 08, 12:11 AM
When the game ended, my Dad jumped out of his chair and went "Yes! YEEEEESSS!!! EVERY GAME THIS YEAR! EVERY SINGLE GAME, HAHAHA, BOSTON SUCKS! I HATE THEM ALMOST AS MUCH AS TORONTO!"

And look who Boston's going to be playing 1st round if they end in 8th, hahaha.

4-0, get ready for it.

WorldWarCheese
25th March 08, 02:24 AM
It was a close game, man.

And actually, using just my meagre powers of memory Boston's done well against Toronto so I'm hoping for 7th place :knock on wood:. Besides, the Flyers have 6
games left, we have 7 and they're only ahead by 2 points (I think).

Either way, when Bergeron heals up you'll be seeing a new Bruins. A kickass Bruins.

ICY
25th March 08, 02:41 AM
How'd Boston do vs the Penguins this year?

WorldWarCheese
25th March 08, 03:26 AM
Hit or miss like we were against most teams. I actually watched a homegame (My first of the year at Banknorth Garden) where they lead 4-1 at the end of the 1st, 4-3 by the 3rd only to stave us off for a 4-3 win in the end. It was heartbreaking.

I can't recall the ratio, but I think they beat us a couple more times or something (Or that could be the natural Boston Fan reaction to any question of that nature) <-- bruins.nhl.com is no help. :/

OZZ
25th March 08, 01:46 PM
How'd Boston do vs the Penguins this year?

Each team has won one game in the season series so far this year between Beantown and the Penguins.

Montreal will kill Boston in the playoffs. Thomas is good, but he allows occasional soft goals and that will sink them, Also, Thomas has no playoff experience.
Neither does Price, but he has exhibited unbelievable poise for a youngster already .. it won't be as big an issue for the Montreal Canadians.
Once the Flyers are out I will be rooting for the Habs as well. If my team can't win it, I would like for the cup to come back to Canada.
Of course, if it came down to Calgary vs. Montreal I would have to root for Calgary.
A first round playoff series between Montreal and Boston would be sweet. If Philly can hang on to 7th, which is hardly a sure thing, they will draw NJ - which I don't want. NJ has always given the Flyers hell in the playoffs. So, I would rather they slip back to eighth and face the Habs...historically, our playoff track record against Montreal isn't the best. But I would rather play them than fucking New Jersey.

OZZ
25th March 08, 06:36 PM
Right now I am tuned in to the Philly game online and watching the Leafs vs. Bruins on TV.
All I need now is my pizza...

WorldWarCheese
25th March 08, 06:48 PM
I need some Sam Adams.

OH YEAH! FUCKING RAPED TORONTO 6-2!!!!

ICY
26th March 08, 02:19 AM
A first round playoff series between Montreal and Boston would be sweet.

Agreed. A sweet 4 games. HAHAHA.

WorldWarCheese
26th March 08, 02:52 AM
Agreed. A sweet 4 games. HAHAHA.
The Habs will fall. The B's will Reign. Hockey fans everywhere will shit bricks.

ICY
26th March 08, 02:56 AM
When was the last time the Bruins beat the Habs?

*Holds Hand to Ear in Anticipation*

WorldWarCheese
26th March 08, 03:32 AM
Well, if it was expected the fans wouldn't be shitting bricks now, would they?

OZZ
26th March 08, 02:19 PM
Philly won last night! 2 spectacular points keeps us in the running to overtake the Rangers in the standings....
Leafs are now an official non factor as far as the playoff race goes. BUT, they can still cost some teams valuable points. They play MONTREAL this Saturday ICY...
Your team needs those points to stay on top to keep home ice acvantage and take home their first conference champion flag in many , many years.
I am going to be out carousing in Toronto that night so I will not see most of that game, but it should be a good one despite the factr that the Leafs are out of the playoff picture.
Boston, ah well..they just need to win the rest of the way and watch out for Washington. The Caps are playing much better!

Feryk
2nd April 08, 04:00 PM
Edmonton went down to, ugh, Calgary last night. Season's over for them. Ah well, they made it fun, which is all I asked for this season.

ICY
3rd April 08, 12:40 AM
Montreal wins the rest easily.

OZZ
3rd April 08, 11:02 AM
Philly is in tough..they have two games left, one against NJ and the other against Pittsburgh. if they don't win at least one of them they will likely fall short and miss the playoffs again..ugh!Both Washington and Boston have easier games coming up.
They tried to muscle the Penguins last night and got burned killing penalties. You can't take penalties against a team that has a Power play unit like the Pens do..
Pittsburgh went 4 for 6 on the PP and Crosby was dominant despite the Flyers' attempts to intimidate him.
FUCK!!

OZZ
3rd April 08, 11:03 AM
Edmonton went down to, ugh, Calgary last night. Season's over for them. Ah well, they made it fun, which is all I asked for this season.

Too bad about the Oilers..such a great team to watch. I find it harder to identify with them now that Smyth is gone, though.

ICY
3rd April 08, 03:20 PM
Yeah, that was bitch move letting him go. Fuck the Oilers.

Feryk
4th April 08, 01:07 PM
Agreed that it was stupid, but it was ALSO stupid of him to trust his agent and walk over $140K/year. He uprooted his family, and basically pissed on his reputation here for a paltry sum of money in the grand scheme of things. They won't be retiring his jersey any time soon (which was a virtual certainty before hand).

OZZ
4th April 08, 03:52 PM
I remember thinking that as well, and then some media reports surfaced that the figures were not accurate, so I don't really know what to think.
He'd been there his whole career, maybe he just wanted a change of scenery deep down, but didn't have the courage to say it to the public.
Either way, bad for the team, bad for him and bad for hockey in Canada. It was an all- around shitty deal.
However, if he hoists the cup either this year or next I'm sure he'll be happy with it.
Edit:Spelling

Feryk
4th April 08, 04:32 PM
The money reports are pretty accurate, from what I hear. The media in town here is not all pro-Oiler management. Hell, they've had Rich Winter on the air talking about how Smyth's people fucked up, and how the Oilers were assholes for looking for a hometown discount. Maybe he's just fishing for a new client, though.

I'm pretty sure his family isn't happy with the situation, but in the end, he's making shitloads more than he ever has. I wish the guy well, but I'm a long way from cheering for Colorado. I guess that leaves me with Ottawa. Oh God.

WorldWarCheese
5th April 08, 03:19 AM
YES! YES! YES! OH GOD YES! THE BRUINS HAVE FINALLY MADE IT TO THE PLAYOFFS! WE'RE IN 6TH FUCKING PLACE! YES!

ICY
5th April 08, 03:27 AM
Montreal has to beat Toronto, and Pittsburgh has to lose to Philly...not looking good for Montreal. However, if Monteal loses, but Pittsburgh also loses, then Montreal plays Boston in the 1st rd.

4-0

OZZ
5th April 08, 08:22 PM
We are going to have to beat Pittsburgh!! I think that game is on NBC tommorrow..man, I hope we win.
Montreal has beaten Toronto!!

Edit: Actually, we have clinched, but if we beat the Pens we place 6th in the conference otherwise, seventh or eighth..

WorldWarCheese
6th April 08, 05:41 PM
Wow, Bruins, wow. Okay, so I know you clinched a spot, which is great because it's been 4 years, but that doesn't mean the moment we have a game that DOESN'T matter we decided to play like lazy bastards and throw a game that could get us as high as 5th.

OZZ
6th April 08, 06:40 PM
Pittsburgh showed very little interest in winning today..so now Philly gets to play Washington instead. I am glad , actually. If we can shut down Ovechkin, the rest is a cakewalk.
Montreal VS. Boston..I say the Habs in 5
Sorry WWCH..

ICY
7th April 08, 02:17 AM
My plans have come to fruition!

http://www.dolcevitapets.com/blog/upload/2007/08/flying_laser_dogs/DrEvil%20_orig.JPG
MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

WorldWarCheese
7th April 08, 05:03 AM
Montreal VS. Boston..I say the Habs in 5
Sorry WWCH..
It's okay. I actually never expected us to get even this far, what with Bergeron down and us not having the greatest record even with him sometimes it was gratifying just seeing them try the whole season and make it to the playoffs. I mean, it's been 5 years since our last playoff game and most sports magazines and TV shows predicted we'd be bottom 12-13th this year. Next year, that or the year after that will be Boston's year. Bergeron will be back like Jesus Fucking Christ on skates, our n00bz will be seasoned and Tuuka will be helping Thomas and maybe even Auld in goal.

Yeah, wait and see: In the next couple of years you'll see a whole new Boston Bruins. (Now I'm just hoping the Sox can pick it up!)

OZZ
10th April 08, 11:08 AM
Calgary!So far so good. Nice win for them last night. Its going to be a hard hitting sereis, whoever wins it will be so tired in the next round they will be at a disadvantage.
But, that's what the playoffs are all about. Toughest two months in all of sports.
Can't wait until Friday @ 7pm for Philly to start off their series with Washington.

WorldWarCheese
10th April 08, 11:22 AM
I'm going to be at a Sox Game and will thus miss the entirety of the Bruins/Habs game. It sucks in the sense that the Bruins are in the playoffs and while Bergie isn't playing he's back on the bench, but I got fucking amazing seats (right next to the Green Monster.

OZZ
10th April 08, 03:58 PM
I'm going to be at a Sox Game and will thus miss the entirety of the Bruins/Habs game. It sucks in the sense that the Bruins are in the playoffs and while Bergie isn't playing he's back on the bench, but I got fucking amazing seats (right next to the Green Monster.

You ARE an American!
Enjoy the game.

Feryk
10th April 08, 04:34 PM
Calgary!So far so good. Nice win for them last night. Its going to be a hard hitting sereis, whoever wins it will be so tired in the next round they will be at a disadvantage.
But, that's what the playoffs are all about. Toughest two months in all of sports.
Can't wait until Friday @ 7pm for Philly to start off their series with Washington.

As much as I'd love for the Shames to fail and fail miserably, I disagree with you. When Edmonton went to the Cup final two years ago, they went through San Jose and Anaheim to get there (two of the most physical teams in the league, even then). Yeah, they got beat up, but the psychological lift you get from winning a series like that can take you a LOOOOONG way.

I'm just hoping Calgary folds like a paper tent.

OZZ
10th April 08, 09:32 PM
[QUOTE=Feryk]the psychological lift you get from winning a series like that can take you a LOOOOONG way.

QUOTE]

True enough..as long as you are fortunate enough not to get any serious injuries that put your top players out..

The 'shames' eh? I've never heard that one before..in Ontario we call the Red Wings the 'dead things' ..

Montreal looked good tonight, but they should have put a pp goal in when they had that 2 man advantage at the end of the game - even if they were up by 3. Just to really sock it to them..I think Boston is in for a short, painful series.

WorldWarCheese
11th April 08, 12:23 AM
You ARE an American!
Enjoy the game.
Hahaha and thanks, Sox DESTROYED 12-6.

Montreal looked good tonight, but they should have put a pp goal in when they had that 2 man advantage at the end of the game - even if they were up by 3. Just to really sock it to them..I think Boston is in for a short, painful series.
Let's just say: it doesn't look good. Montreal and the Yank-me's in one weekend? Oh, god. I don't think I can handle it all.

ICY
11th April 08, 02:20 AM
Awesome.

OZZ
15th April 08, 01:42 PM
Hasek really blew it lastnight..now Nashville is back in the series.
Should be a good one in Boston tonight..Habs will prevail.
Go Flames!!
Philly wins tonight 5-2 , my prediction.
Fucking Avery, only a jerk like that could actually cause the league to create a new rule specifically for his nonsense.
Still calling for an upset by Minnesota. But if Joe Sakic gets going, it could be a ll she wrote for the Wild.
Good hockey so far in most of the series, some cheap calls being made in the Boston Montreal series though. Lets let the players decide who wins and not the refs...eh!

OZZ
21st April 08, 09:21 PM
I can't believe Washington forced a seventh game...
Boston played a good series, they lasted longer than I thought they would. Hats off to them, but the Habs move on!
If philly loses tomorrow I am not going to be a happy camper.

WorldWarCheese
21st April 08, 10:55 PM
Boston played a good series, they lasted longer than I thought they would. Hats off to them, but the Habs move on!
Yeah, I just sent off a few e-mails to some of the players who have public e-mails on congrats for a good season and a great playoff's fun. No one, not even Boston thought they'd get that far (no one thought they'd make it to the playoffs) and in the end they really manned up and played like a true hockey team.

Good luck to everyone, it was a good season and when we get Bergy back next year be prepared to be anally raped by his hot stick ;)

ICY
22nd April 08, 03:26 AM
Pretty lame that it went 7 games, but whatever, Montreal's still winning the cup, damnit.

WorldWarCheese
22nd April 08, 07:33 AM
Even if you think it was lame, you gotta admit that those were fucking awesome games.

ICY
22nd April 08, 03:00 PM
Actually, I never got to watch even one of them, so...I'll have to take your word for it.

Fearless Ukemi
22nd April 08, 04:58 PM
Attention Canadians: You aren't supposed to riot when your team wins.

OZZ
23rd April 08, 10:42 AM
Too bad about the Flames...
Game 7 overtime is too stressful for an old guy like me. Philly was lucky to come out on top in that series.
Montreal vs. Philly in round 2!!

OZZ
26th April 08, 08:51 PM
Awesome...we tied the series.
What a relief.

OZZ
4th May 08, 02:09 PM
Well..now that everyone's team but mine has been eliminated I can see this thread has been abandonned faster than the Ottawa Senators can say 'sweep'!
Philly beat the odds and made it to the conference finals...could this be the year? We'll just have to wait and see.

WorldWarCheese
6th May 08, 12:25 AM
I'm keeping up with the thread but, dude, it's RED SOX SEASON

ICY
6th May 08, 11:41 AM
I've stopped caring, but I guess I'll sort of cheer for Philly, considering the rest are cockgobblers at this point. Also, just to remind everyone:

No matter what team wins, Canada ALWAYS wins.

OZZ
6th May 08, 01:10 PM
[QUOTE=Geordi LaForge)
No matter what team wins, Canada ALWAYS wins.[/QUOTE]

You know it!!65% of the league is still Canadian EH!

WorldWarCheese
6th May 08, 01:15 PM
Does that include when one of the 35% kicks the 65%'s collective ass at their own game?

Feryk
6th May 08, 05:36 PM
To what are you referring, heathen?

WorldWarCheese
6th May 08, 07:43 PM
The last 13 years. :p

ICY
7th May 08, 10:19 AM
Does that include when one of the 35% kicks the 65%'s collective ass at their own game?

You mean when they hire Canadians to beat Canadian teams?

OZZ
7th May 08, 11:19 AM
Do we even have to mention our dominance at the International level?
Hell, as we speak we are undefeated at the World Championships and we don't even have our 'A' squad there!
We may brag a lot, but we can get away with it because we are so damn good.

Edit: More medals in Hockey than any other country..closest competition used to be the Soviet Union/Russia, but the USA is getting better because they have so many Canadians coaching them and running their hockey programs now. Hell, even Germany is starting to compete respectably in international competition now because they have Canadians running their hockey programs. Dave King has done a hell of a job over there. I also like the fact that the Germans don't shy away from the physical play the way some of the other European squads do.
But, hey these ARE Germans we are talking about..never known a German who wasn't up for a competitive, physical sport.

ICY
7th May 08, 11:27 AM
It isn't bragging, it's a statement of fact.

OZZ
13th May 08, 02:43 PM
Well..my beloved Flyers need to win tonight or it is pretty much over.
Two of our core defensemen are out and it is hard enough to contain the Penguins offense.
What I am finding really frustrating is how difficult it seems to be to clear the zone..what ever happened to flipping the puck up OVER someone's stick instead of vainly sliding the puck along the ice only to have it kept behind the blue line over and over? It only needs to get up about a foot to increase the chances of it clearing the zone by about 40%. You don't have to send iot over the glass..just lift the puck a bit when you get the opportunity, on the PK especially..

OZZ
13th May 08, 09:38 PM
Well, that was as convincing a victory as you are going to see...
I guess that's it. looks like it will be a Penguins - Red Wings Cup Final.
Should be a good one!

OZZ
29th May 08, 10:39 AM
Game 3 (last night) between the Wings and Pens was great. I hate to admit it, but Crosby actually looks like he has matured over the last two months. It is weird, but just looking at his face, he has the look of a man, no just a whiny little boy anymore. He's got a lot of pressure on him to produce and he is only 20 or 21 years old.
Anyways, I am hoping Pittsburgh comes out on top, even though they eliminated the Flyers. I have no love for the Red Wings and I would like to see both Gary Roberts and big George Laraque get the cup this year.
Hopefully, Friday's game will be just as good.

OZZ
5th June 08, 10:32 AM
What a series that turned out to be..exciting right down to the last whistle.
Detroit is a hell of an organization, you have to hand it to them. They built throught the draft and are a far cry from the laughingstock they were in the mid -eighties.
Well, that's it for another season. I don't really enjoy watching many summer sports, but the Olympics are coming up so that is something to look forward to.
Anyways,until next year. keep your pucks hard and your sticks one the ice.. or should that be the other way around?:eek:

OZZ

Feryk
5th June 08, 01:22 PM
Excellent series, and excellent last game. Detroit is the powerhouse of the west, but I think Pittsburgh should be back...and next time, they'll take it.

WorldWarCheese
6th June 08, 03:55 AM
Every year I'm amazed at how long the hockey post season is. I mean, it's JUNE.