PDA

View Full Version : Valve's "Steam" Review

WarPhalange
15th October 07, 06:11 PM
It's total shit.

It's supposed to be a "all in one" sort of thing I assume, because I can chat with my friends and join the games they are in, providing I own the game and the server isn't full or something.

That's fine. Actually a good idea. The problem comes when you try to implement the idea with a series of wheels and cogs.

When you try to launch a game, it has to (I guess) be verified by Steam or some shit, so it "prepares" to launch the game before doing it. Now, whenever I want to launch a non-steam game, I get a brief splash screen or it just suddenly jumps into the game. None of this "preparing" shit.

Okay, so someone might need to prepare for The Awesome, right? Yes, but when I wanted to play HL2: Episode 2 about an hour ago, I double-clicked the icon, then it said it was preparing to launch the game. I went to take a piss and when I came back it was still preparing. After it's done, you get into the game AND WHAT THE FUCK??? Now that GAME has to load. Yup. That wasn't loading the game apparently, because you still have to wait a minute for the game itself to load, before you can either load a saved/new game or get into a server. Cool huh?

=====================

The Chat feature:

I use this frequently. Either to tell a friend to join a server, tell him to leave so we can find one that isn't full, etc., stuff like that. You just shift-tab and you are still in the game and can chat. No going to Windows and screwing up your game. Except that it's really slow. So it's very poorly implemented.

You can also download and buy games via Steam. Great, I guess. My Zelda: Twilight Princess DVD broke and now I'm pissed because I was at least half way through the game. I wish it was stored on my WiiCube instead.

But, with intarwebs the way they are these days, downloading can take a long time. It's not like going to Game Stop Wal-Mart and buying a game, being all giddy in the car, and then plopping it in once you get home.

No, you buy the game, and then wait until the game is downloaded. Can take up to 2 hours if you have a cool 700kB/s download like me, or a few days if you have lowsy DSL.

"LOL if your connection is so shitty, you shouldn't play online anyway!!!"

BS. My friend has said shitty DSL and he gets a very good ping in games. I haven't seen it ever hit 50 unless the server is shit. His solution of course was to go and download it at school via Wi-Fi. God Bless University T1 connections (or whatever the hell they are these days).

Overall Steam gets 4/10.

Good ideas, bad implementation, especially when you want to play a quick 15 minute game of TF2 or something. 5 minutes of it will be spent loading the damn game. Literally.

Knave
15th October 07, 09:29 PM
Greetings.

YOU ARE INCORRECT SIR. STEAM IS FINE.

Or at the very least, you could've complained about the potential for data mining, slowdown in games, inability to play games out of the box without authenticating through steam first, etc. Those are legitimate complaints I think, but complaining about load times is a bit silly. There are alot of games that take a long time to load even on high end systems. I think turning the console on reduces the time it takes to launch a game if it's really that big of a deal to you.

Also, if you are playing any single player games, I highly recommend that you put steam in offline mode first.

Also, Team Fortress 2 RIPS YOUR FACE OFF AND FUCKS YOU IN THE BRAIN, in a good way.

WarPhalange
15th October 07, 09:59 PM
Greetings.

YOU ARE INCORRECT SIR. STEAM IS FINE.

Or at the very least, you could've complained about the potential for data mining, slowdown in games, inability to play games out of the box without authenticating through steam first, etc. Those are legitimate complaints I think,

HURR HURR YOU ARE FUCKING WRONG SIR

Data mining? What kind of data are you talking about? I already gave them my computer specs when they asked me for them. What else is so important that they would need? Any passwords to them are worthless, and if they do get ahold of them, it's easy to trace who it was that actually accessed my account. So I don't understand what your concerns are. Please elaborate.

I haven't noticed any slowdown in games per se. Some chopiness in HL2: Ep 1, but nothing online or in any other game for that matter (which is weird).

And having to authenticate it through Steam is a necessary evil. It's not something Valve just thought up one day. It's a company that makes games. It needs money, so the way to make sure you buy their shit is to not let you play them any other way. If this trend keeps up, you might just see jackpots like the Orange Pack popping up more often. Reasonably priced (very) and I get the satisfaction of knowing that I am feeding game programmers. Everybody wins. I would call this self-defense on the part of Valve.

but complaining about load times is a bit silly. There are alot of games that take a long time to load even on high end systems.

THAT'S A NEGATORY THERE, GOOD BUDDY

Load times for games? Sure, I can handle that. Even though I haven't really noticed any long load times in Either HL2: Episodes or Portal, or TF2. Those go by smooth. "Preparing to launch" isn't the game's fault. And that's what takes the most time. And I have a "high-end" system for what HL2 needs to run.

I think turning the console on reduces the time it takes to launch a game if it's really that big of a deal to you.

LOL why would it? "Oh shit, this guy activated the console! Quick, make the game start quicker for him!"

What is this, some kind of cheat code to be able to play the game? I know there can be work arounds for the .exe itself or something, but adding a few characters to your target destination? Please.

Also, if you are playing any single player games, I highly recommend that you put steam in offline mode first.

Don't need to. When they do finally launch, it goes smooth. I can also tell if my friend logs on so I can ping him and ask if he wants to play.

Also, Team Fortress 2 RIPS YOUR FACE OFF AND FUCKS YOU IN THE BRAIN, in a good way.

See my review.

Mas
15th October 07, 11:27 PM
Do you remember Steam 5 years ago?

DO YOU?!

WarPhalange
15th October 07, 11:32 PM
No. I opted not to get it until it was absolutely crucial to play games AND there were good games to play.

Mas
15th October 07, 11:45 PM
You take that back.

Knave
16th October 07, 01:58 AM
Greetings.

Data mining? What kind of data are you talking about? I already gave them my computer specs when they asked me for them. What else is so important that they would need? Any passwords to them are worthless, and if they do get ahold of them, it's easy to trace who it was that actually accessed my account. So I don't understand what your concerns are. Please elaborate.

Steam mines quite a bit of data. Mostly harmless, but other people have an issue with it on principle. I don't keep up with stuff like this, I just know it's a complaint that some people have.

I haven't noticed any slowdown in games per se. Some chopiness in HL2: Ep 1, but nothing online or in any other game for that matter (which is weird).

It's still in the background sucking up resources. Again, it's the principle of it for people that are bothered by this. It's not about how much of a resource hog it is or isn't, it's the fact that the player has no choice in the matter.

And having to authenticate it through Steam is a necessary evil.

So you don't mind that you can go buy the game and aren't even able to play it out of the box? It's not even an option. You are forced to have a Steam account, an updated Steam client, and an updated game. Your box is meaningless. Does that bother you? Because it doesn't bother me, but it bothers quite a few other people.

THAT'S A NEGATORY THERE, GOOD BUDDY

Load times for games? Sure, I can handle that. Even though I haven't really noticed any long load times in Either HL2: Episodes or Portal, or TF2. Those go by smooth. "Preparing to launch" isn't the game's fault. And that's what takes the most time. And I have a "high-end" system for what HL2 needs to run.

YOU'RE A NEGATORY

IIRC, enabling the console prevents the HL2 games/Portal/TF2/etc from loading all the stuff in the background of the menu screens. Or it might be -novid. I don't remember exactly.

But if the preparing to launch thing is a problem...umm...wtf? Does it really take a long time for you? It really shouldn't take more than 10 seconds or so I think.

king of seals
16th October 07, 02:51 PM
I bought HL2 and wanted to play it offline.

Turns out I need a fucking goddamned Steam account, I need to download like half of the game, but most of all the cursed Intenet is necessary.

It pisses me off. They could have just left some piece of paper with some numbers on it instead of a DVD in that box.

WarPhalange
16th October 07, 07:57 PM
So you don't mind that you can go buy the game and aren't even able to play it out of the box? It's not even an option. You are forced to have a Steam account, an updated Steam client, and an updated game. Your box is meaningless. Does that bother you? Because it doesn't bother me, but it bothers quite a few other people.

Yes, the people who would just steal the game. You can still do it, but it requires a bit of a work around and people are too stupid to figure out how to replace an .exe file with a cracked one.

It's a necessary evil for the company to defend itself. If they keep getting all of the profits they deserve, they'd better drop the prices on their games, though, or else fuck them.

IIRC, enabling the console prevents the HL2 games/Portal/TF2/etc from loading all the stuff in the background of the menu screens. Or it might be -novid. I don't remember exactly.

There are no vids. Besides, the game doesn't take long to load at all.

But if the preparing to launch thing is a problem...umm...wtf? Does it really take a long time for you? It really shouldn't take more than 10 seconds or so I think.

I timed it twice -- once yesterday and once today -- and both times it took over 2 minutes. That's 120 seconds of me just sitting there twidling my thumbs.

Could be something with my system. But seeing as how it's much more than adequate to run the games I play, I don't see what it could be.