PDA

View Full Version : I've been interacting with a silly trust fund kid

Wounded Ronin
14th October 07, 06:38 PM
Years ago, I had started posting on bullshido.net and had seen for the first time all manner of fraudulent and delusional individuals who would go through life play-acting a persona in order to overcome feelings of inadequacy or dissatisfaction with self; although many people, in contrast to this, might falsify credentials or fabricate stories primarily as a means of being able to make money through selling lessons, I would say that a good portion of individuals with an extensive fraudulent life story or persona were doing it in large part to bolster negative self-image. For example, a young man living in a place like Oklahoma without any real impressive skills or qualifications to his name might go around claiming to be a martial arts master trained by all sorts of exulted individuals and sell lessons and derive a great sense of empowerment or satisfaction when people buy into his lie and accept his idealized persona as the truth. Even if his actual skills, not to mention his degree of athleticism, remain non-existant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaFHkh-v_ms

Recently, I have had the interesting life experience of having such a person in my life, although this person's idealized fake self image had nothing to do with martial arts. Instead, it had to do with being some kind of enlightened quester or wanderer. I have decided to write about this now since I have just found this person's blog and I can easily link to it in order to illustrate how strange and laughable this person's persona is. For ease of reading I'll refer to this individual as "Blogger".

Blogger is a tall fellow who has a lean, muscular look. Nevertheless, he carries with him a degree of anger or insecurity. For example, one night when he was drunk at a bar he nearly got into a fight with someone who accidentally knocked over his (still shrinkwrapped) instant ramen bowl. The person who knocked it over was apologetic but Blogger remained angry and aggressive until a group of locals gathered around the person whom he was harassing. No fight actually occurred but the next day Blogger was accusing some of his friends, who had happened to leave while this was happening and were unaware of it, of having abandoned him. There are other events, of course, that suggest a sense of insecurity or entitlement. Many times he complains to whomever may be present that he feels like he deserves more recognition for what he's done recently. It's a pretty common complaint from him.

His father is pretty wealthy but Blogger is preoccupied with making sure that nobody thinks of him as a well-off person or a trust fund kid. Even though Blogger enjoys travelling, has many stories of having travelled around the world extensively, and has planned another round-the-world tour in a matter of weeks, he claims that he can afford all of these expeditions because he worked at a ski lodge at one time. While it's theoretically possible it seems more likely, given the quantity of travel, that someone has given him a lot of money. It's actually very funny because on this blog he refers to Nepal as "my adopted 2nd home", and he's also used this line with a girl before. How can someone claim to have stayed in Nepal as a tourist or backpacker for long enough to call it a "2nd home" but not claim to have spent a lot of money in order to do so? Here's the link to the blog entry where the line is used: http://jeffdow.blogspot.com/2007_09_01_archive.html

Blogger claims to be Buddhist, so I guess the Nepal second home deal is supposed to reinforce that. I remember he claims that he doesn't want to work in an office in the West because the West is too materialistic. His blog has a quote:

I have nothing to say of my working life, only that a tie is a noose, and inverted though it is, it will hang a man nonetheless if he's not careful.... yann martel

I remember I asked him to clarify what he meant by the West being materialistic. I said something along the lines of, "The idea of charity as as institution on the scale we see today is essentially a Western idea. Look at the millions and millions of dollars that western humanitarian organizations and corporations put into aid for the developing world. Why do you say that the West is more materialistic than other parts of the world that do not have equivalent programs?". But he just told me he didn't feel like arguing.

My personal opinion of this fellow is that he uses anti-materialism as a way to validate his travelling all around the world in developing countries where he can live large pretty cheaply while avoiding the adult responsibility of getting an office job in the US. If he claims that this is due to a Buddhist sense of non-materialism as opposed to just hiding from the stresses of adult responsibilities he can feel good about himself instead of having to face the fact that he's basically prolonging his childhood.

Any sorts of claim to Buddhist virtue is blown out of the water, as far as I'm concerned, by the fact that Blogger is always talking about the hookers he's going to bone when he goes to Thailand or Indonesia. Every time I go on the internet terminal after he's used it and look in the history I see all sorts of sites he's looked at which are relating to asian sex tours. I'm not sure how in his mind he reconciles this with his Buddhist holiness, but for me it proves beyond any degree of doubt that he's really just hell-bent on prolonging his fratboy lifestyle past the unseemly age of 30.

The really unfortunate thing about this all is that I think that Blogger is a pretty articulate or intelligent person when he wants to be. If you discuss an abstract or technical issue with him he can be well-spoken and articulate. But when it comes to this blog, the ideal self he is presenting to the internet, you can see that it's just filled with empty and meaningless cliches. Get ready for comedy theater: http://jeffdow.blogspot.com/2007_10_01_archive.html

As I get ready, prepare to leave this island home, it dawns on me again. The impermanence and transience of all things. Nothing will remain as it is; this is the natural way of the world.

my personal legend written as a nomad's life, free to explore, free to experience, free to revel in the impermanence of this existance.

Ha, yes, personal legend. I actually think that the above quote is evidence that this fellow is just trying to be a frat boy for as long as possible.

In the next 1-2 years (or so), I hope to gain perspective on the unwieldy and daunting topic of 3rd world poverty, from a combination of travel experiences, work experiences, and a thorough attempt to abandon my "1st world" perspecetives on what conditions are necessary for "prosperity."

Yes, abandon the current paradigm of the international aid organizations. There is no real need for "water", "food", "immunizations", "medical care", or "sustainability". Maybe we should just get rich dads for everyone in the developing world so they too can spend 20 years with cheap beer and hookers in Thailand and Indonesia.

So, I feel like interacting with people like this is actually one of my more important life experiences. The insight into why people behave irrationally or lie to themselves is very valuable because of how common such behaviors are. I feel like by gaining some experience with this fellow I will be more likely in the future to be able to identify people whose minds are working in the same way and I will better be able to anticipate how they will act.

In the case of Blogger I know that he's a pretty smart guy who could accomplish more than being a professional tourist if only he would be honest with himself. If he could stop reacting psychologically against his dad and used his interest in developing countries to get a real job with a reputable NGO he could help a lot of people in the world. But as long as he continues to play out his adolescent drama rejecting his dad and running away from adulthood in the US he won't help anyone. Instead, he's literally screwing them with his asian sex tours.

Cullion
14th October 07, 06:49 PM
Umm.. does he actually know that Nepal is mostly Hindu and has kept the British army supplied with some of our most efficient mercenaries for a couple of centuries?

It ain't the fuckin Buddhist spiritual homeland where Pat Morita lives in 'The Golden Child'.

WarPhalange
14th October 07, 08:46 PM
Jesus Christ tl;dr.

ironlurker
14th October 07, 11:45 PM
did he take out the restraining order yet?

jubei33
15th October 07, 04:27 AM
so he didn't use his A material on you, huh?

Sun Wukong
15th October 07, 06:32 AM
Jesus Christ tl;dr.

Yeah, i'm soo inclined to agree with you here. My experiences with a trust fund kid was pretty bad too, except for the part where she was hot and I boned her savagely at mardi gras in 96 after only knowing her for only 2 hours. College was so fun. I didn't even like her remotely, but we still pretty much stayed in the sack for the entire mardi gras week.

Kein Haar
15th October 07, 09:40 AM
It's ok to use another human [female] to masturbate by proxy...ya just can't talk mean to 'em.

Ok.

Cullion
15th October 07, 05:05 PM
Here, here's his fucking Nepalese spirituality. Tell him to stick it up his ass.

http://img.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2007/05_02/gurkhaPA2405_468x591.jpg

Shawarma
15th October 07, 05:55 PM
The kukri or the bagpipe?

WarPhalange
15th October 07, 08:08 PM
I always wanted to be the Kukri player in my high school's marching band.

socratic
16th October 07, 12:03 AM
I always wanted to be the Kukri player in my high school's marching band.

I always wanted to be the European guy telling them what to do.

Cullion
16th October 07, 04:35 AM
I always wanted to be the European guy telling them what to do.

British guy. They don't work for anybody else's army in Europe.

billy sol hurok
16th October 07, 06:12 AM
British guy. They don't work for anybody else's army in Europe.

What, the bagpipes? They sure don't work for me.

Cullion
16th October 07, 07:00 AM
What, the bagpipes? They sure don't work for me.

Tul Bahadar Pun, VC disagrees

http://www.vchero.co.uk/pb/wp_a046d182/images/img14224659f7edd5892.jpg

JimmyTheHutt
17th October 07, 02:56 PM
Yeah, i'm soo inclined to agree with you here. My experiences with a trust fund kid was pretty bad too, except for the part where she was hot and I boned her savagely at mardi gras in 96 after only knowing her for only 2 hours. College was so fun. I didn't even like her remotely, but we still pretty much stayed in the sack for the entire mardi gras week.

That's the point of Mardi Gras.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

billy sol hurok
17th October 07, 06:30 PM
Tul Bahadar Pun, VC disagrees

http://www.vchero.co.uk/pb/wp_a046d182/images/img14224659f7edd5892.jpg
*considers wiseguy retort, googles, stands in awe of Nepal's Sgt. York (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_York), is gladdened by the happy turnout (http://www.anorak.co.uk/forums/topic.php?id=124)*

*still can't abide bagpipes*

Cullion
18th October 07, 10:02 AM
The Gurkhas have produced several stories like that. There's one guy who succesfully defended some hill in southeast asia against a whole platoon of Japanese by himself.

They threw some grenades, and he picked them up and threw them back. The last one cost him his arm but when he came round he picked up his rifle and carried on fighting.

Toby Christensen
18th October 07, 10:09 AM
I had a HUGE crush on a Nepalese girl until one of my screaming fag relatives "cockblocked"* it.

*Gawd bless whoever thought that term up.

WarPhalange
18th October 07, 12:04 PM
You don't cockblock it, you cockblock someone. So you got cockblocked.

Lockbox.

Shawarma
18th October 07, 12:09 PM
I wish someone would cockblock Spastic. I mean literally block his cock so he wouldn't reproduce.

Toby Christensen
18th October 07, 12:26 PM
Considering one of my brother's friends got cancer of his entire reproductive system and committed suicide, I fail to see the humour in that Shawarama.

I'm not your counsellour you stupid grogan. Go to cry therapy or read up on psychoanalysis or something.

Shawarma
18th October 07, 12:31 PM
Considering that one of my grandmother's pet hamsters died of reading one of your posts, I fail to see the humour in you generally. Improve.

Toby Christensen
18th October 07, 01:00 PM
I wasn't joking about the guy getting genital cancer.

Just because you're in a bad mood doesn't mean you can whinge to me. I'm not a fucking psychologist and the rest of Bullshido should take note.

Shawarma
18th October 07, 01:05 PM
Your schtick is older than time itself and has lost its appeal. Make it funny again, please.

ironlurker
18th October 07, 01:29 PM
Just because you're in a bad mood doesn't mean you can whinge to me about individuation. I'm not a fucking Jungian and the rest of Bullshido should take note.

Post quality 0 to 60 in three seconds

Toby Christensen
18th October 07, 01:31 PM
Jung was a nutcase.

ironlurker
18th October 07, 01:53 PM
Jung was a nutcase.

Originally Posted by "Angry_Spastic"

I'm not a fucking Jungian

OMG IM RITE

Just saw your new sig, ever consider creating an invision forum, say, "Society Veritas", where you can ban Sociocide moles and require all posters to list their academic credentials? Then you could challenge someone to a debate in the parking lot of, say, a Bahai temple . . .

Toby Christensen
18th October 07, 02:20 PM
I don't support religion either.

If I wanted to feel a sense of empathy and the warm fuzzies I'd go pat a dog.

P.S. Jung thought he could communicate with the dead and was strongly telekinetic.

In other words, he had major delusions.

ironlurker
18th October 07, 02:47 PM
I don't support religion either.

If I wanted to feel a sense of empathy and the warm fuzzies I'd go pat a dog.

P.S. Jung thought he could communicate with the dead and was strongly telekinetic.

In other words, he had major delusions.
Jung's mother thought she had mediumistic abilities, as did a lot of bourgeois women at the turn of the century- if your referring to his Septem Sermones ad Mortuos, you missed who the "dead" are in the context of the book.

ung dreamt a great deal about the dead, the land of the dead, and the rising of the dead. These represented the unconscious itself -Boeree

If you are referring to the famous anecdote of "telekinesis" in a conversation between Jung and Freud, he connected it with his theory of synchronicity, which is first and foremost psychological, not ontological- it is an "explanatory principle"

A skeptic would see synchronicity as a symptom of apophenia,

Apophenia is the spontaneous perception of connections and meaningfulness of unrelated phenomena. The term was coined by K. Conrad in 1958 (Brugger).

Brugger's research indicates that high levels of dopamine affect the propensity to find meaning, patterns, and significance where there is none, and that this propensity is related to a tendency to believe in the paranormal http://skepdic.com/apophenia.html

The point is, however, not that synchronicity= action at a distance, sympathetic magic, psychism, etc, although many interpret it in that way. It's about meaning, first and foremost, and apophenia is it's pathological manifestation. And a great portion of understanding human life, whether anthropologically or psychologically, is about understanding meaning and how actors perceive it.

The issue is why events appear as synchronicitous to individuals, and how the implicit system of meaning involved in such occurences works, and ramifications for the wider culture and society if systems of meaning are suggested.

Actually, you can compare it to the stance of Western allopathic medicine verses TCM- in the former you're sick or normal, in the other there are conceptualized levels of functioning that extend above and below normal health. Jung may have had a period of delusion, so did Nietzsche, and Churchill had periods of likely psychotic depression.

Shamanism is a cool thing today for hippies/body piercers/New Agers/Burning Man afficianadoes, but there is something to be said of the relationship between altered states and -especially synthetic, as opposed to analytical- creativity.

Toby Christensen
18th October 07, 03:02 PM
Thanks for clearing that up.

I prefer Freud as I'm more familiar and I have the idea that aggression/sex have the same drive.

Shame there are no true psychoanalysts in the Freudian tradition left.

DAYoung
18th October 07, 03:04 PM
ironlurker's stuff on Jung

I'm so very glad I didn't have to write that.