PDA

View Full Version : Find problems with my brilliant plan.

Robot Jesus
14th October 07, 01:07 AM
So my comp is getting old, and I was thinking. A PS3 is way more powerful than anything on the market.

I can get one for $250 ish and ten games from EB games

I can then install Linux, and a windows emulator.

Then I can have the most hardcore of gaming PCís.

is this a horribly flawed idea?

SFGOON
14th October 07, 01:23 AM
I tried that plan years ago with an Xbox. It worked out poorly for me. You will need a Linux distro which has all the proprietary drivers for the PS3, which I guess you could harvest out of PS3's OS (Which is Linux.)

Just slap WinE in there and you're off. KNOW WHAT YOU'RE DOING FIRST. I've used Linux exclusively for about a year now and I'd be scared to do what you're thinking of.

Here you go buddy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_3

And WinE is at winehq.com - it can emulate anything from windows 95 to Vista, and everything in between. There are packages that will allow you to play older machine's games, such as gsnes or GFCE or Gens, but don't expect to be able to emulate an Xbox or Wii with that setup.

Neildo
14th October 07, 02:57 AM
A PS3 is way more powerful than anything on the market

what

Robot Jesus
14th October 07, 03:09 AM
8 core prosesor

MrGalt
14th October 07, 04:13 PM
Sorry man, but be logical. I'm not a geek or engineer of any kind. In fact, I'm not even going to bother looking up the actual statistics to tell you that a $499 toy is NOT the most powerful computer on the market.

Maybe I'm missing the attempt at humor here.

jvjim
14th October 07, 04:20 PM
http://articles.techrepublic.com.com/5100-10877-6063292.html
Installing Linux, then using this service may work. If not, can you pay me back for the 30 minutes I spent looking it up by posting pictures of you forced to play Lair. I'd like for you to be crying in these pictures.

Cullion
14th October 07, 05:23 PM
8 core prosesor

8 parallel processors does not automatically make a system more powerful for a given task. Many tasks cannot easily be parallelised and things like IO between disk and RAM, the speed at which the single processor which the task can be executed on runs at etc.. are the bottleneck.

Robot Jesus
14th October 07, 08:11 PM
I could be wrong as this is the length and berth of my understanding on the comparative processing power of the PS3.

And I only vaguely know what a floating point operation is.

http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats

WarPhalange
14th October 07, 08:34 PM
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=osstats

LOL dude, that has nothing to do with power. It's a statistic of how many people are using the Folding program, which is something that analyses data for a cure for cancer or something like that.

In any case, that list has nothing to do with hardware, it's entirely OS based, which further makes me go "WTF?".

No, the PS3, or any console, is NOT better than anything out on the market. The Xbox (first one) was a shitty computer stuck inside of a box. Why did it run so well? Because that's all it was for. A normal computer has an OS that needs to take care of anything the user can imagine. A console only has to make sure the games run and dedicate itself specifically to that task. No security issues, etc.

Also, a PS3 for $250 and 10 games? Where?

Neildo
14th October 07, 08:39 PM
we call it EBGames, you call it gamespot. I'm thinking about taking a bunch of my old console shit and trading in myself. i want a 360 though, I'll get a PS3 next year maybe. I waited at least a year before buying both the PS1 and the PS2.

SpringHeeledJack
14th October 07, 08:40 PM
we call it EBGames, you call it gamespot. I'm thinking about taking a bunch of my old console shit and trading in myself. i want a 360 though, I'll get a PS3 next year maybe. I waited at least a year before buying both the PS1 and the PS2.Wait, you're saying you can get a PS3 and ten games for $250 from EBgames, seriously?

Neildo
14th October 07, 08:50 PM
no no, for $250 and ten game trade-ins, you get a PS3. old consloles have decent trade-in value too. not great, but reasonable i guess. i think my xbox is good for like $50 credit, which is how much i bought it off a friend for.

SpringHeeledJack
14th October 07, 08:52 PM
Oh.

Stick
14th October 07, 09:35 PM
This plan is, medically speaking, brain dead.

Robot Jesus
15th October 07, 08:15 PM
LOL dude, that has nothing to do with power. It's a statistic of how many people are using the Folding program, which is something that analyses data for a cure for cancer or something like that.

In any case, that list has nothing to do with hardware, it's entirely OS based, which further makes me go "WTF?".

Which includes the amount of information that has been processed by each os in total. As when as the total number of computers working.

So in X amount of time 177908 PCís processed 169 terraflops whereas 38698 PS3ís processed 960 terraflops.

So with a little division in X amount of time 1 pc can process 0.000949929176877936911212536816781714 terraflops whereas a PS3 can process 0.024807483590883249780350405705721

Now I donít know if that is significant, but it is information regarding the regarding the processing abilities of the average pc vs the ps3
MATH FTW

WarPhalange
15th October 07, 08:29 PM
You have to consider what they are processing and what resources it takes.

Those are the reasons why more processors =/= faster. You have to make sure the program understands that there are 8 processors and knows how to tap into all of them.

Stick
15th October 07, 10:20 PM
Which includes the amount of information that has been processed by each os in total. As when as the total number of computers working.

So in X amount of time 177908 PCís processed 169 terraflops whereas 38698 PS3ís processed 960 terraflops.

So with a little division in X amount of time 1 pc can process 0.000949929176877936911212536816781714 terraflops whereas a PS3 can process 0.024807483590883249780350405705721

Now I donít know if that is significant, but it is information regarding the regarding the processing abilities of the average pc vs the ps3
MATH FTW

Dude, it's rare to find a program that utillizes a quad-core processor let alone 8.

Those pure numbers are meaningless when you consider almost nothing takes advantage of those numbers, very little practically can outside of cracking codes and running a space shuttle- weird I know, that I'm saying it this way-, but for the average user the PS3 flopping more tera's doesn't mean a god damn thing.

Yiktin Voxbane
15th October 07, 10:25 PM
Last time I had a Teraflop it took 2 flushes to be rid of the beast .

WarPhalange
15th October 07, 11:23 PM
Dude, it's rare to find a program that utillizes a quad-core processor let alone 8.

Those pure numbers are meaningless when you consider almost nothing takes advantage of those numbers, very little practically can outside of cracking codes and running a space shuttle- weird I know, that I'm saying it this way-, but for the average user the PS3 flopping more tera's doesn't mean a god damn thing.

lol @ astronauts controlling a space shuttle with a stack of PS3s

Robot Jesus
16th October 07, 09:06 AM
Last time I had a Teraflop it took 2 flushes to be rid of the beast .

There worth it though, arnt they?

MrGalt
16th October 07, 03:33 PM
Found this linked from Wikipedia at

http://www.abc.net.au/pm/stories/s119754.htm

Could the Playstation 2 be used as nuclear weaponry PRINT FRIENDLY EMAIL STORY
PM Archive - Tuesday, 18 April , 2000 00:00:00
Reporter: Peter Martin
COMPERE: From a war of the past to the war of the future. Could Sony's video games machine, Playstation 2, be used to launch an actual nuclear war? Apparently Japan's Ministry of Trade seriously thinks it could. The Ministry's slapped export controls on what's already the world's most sought after games machine saying it contains parts which could be used in real life missile guidance systems.

From Tokyo, Peter Martin.

PETER MARTIN: Among the incredibly realistic war-like games Sony told me were under development when they showed me their sleek, black, domestic super computer last month, dark cloud, pilot fighter shooting and one-on-one government. What Sony knew at the time but said little about was that there was concern their machine could do more than simulate real life missile guidance.

Playstation 2 is export controlled, meaning that for the moment it's illegal to take or post multiple copies of it outside of Japan without government approval. The reason? It contains parts which have, says Japans Ministry of Trade, military applications.

You might think Sony would be pleased at the publicity, grateful for the real world endorsement. Instead it's turned down every request for a media interview about what's either a serious problem for it or an undreamed of marketing opportunity.

It would tell me what it knows off tape, though. Two parts of the machine are export controlled: the memory card and the central processing unit. The memory card is controlled because it contains incredibly powerful encryption technology. Japan's rules say that anything with higher than 56 bit encryption has to be controlled. Playstation 2 uses 128 bit encryption.

Sony says it made it that powerful in order to stop customers copying music and videos with their Playstation. The concern of the Japan's Ministry of Trade appears to be that it will put powerful encryption technology in the hands of criminals, or possibly foreign governments.

The concern about Playstation 2's central processing unit is its graphics processing ability. It can process more than three million vector units, as they're called, per second which, says the Ministry of Trade, makes it theoretically able to power the eyes of a real life missile guidance system. Not that the Ministry of Trade is that worried. Having declared the Playstation export controlled, it's granted Sony export permits for North America and Europe.

Sony plans to export three million to North America over the next year, three million to Europe - some of which will make their way to Australia which has a similar TV system after September. But the concern of Japan's Ministry of Trade is a little more than theoretical.

Just over one year ago South Korea intercepted and sunk a North Korean submarine. In it it found machines powered by all sorts of commercially available Japanese radar and communications equipment. It's just possible that North Korean agents have already stocked up on Playstation 2's in their clandestine visit to Japan, though they would have to have been quick. Sony cleared one million of the Playstations in the first hour.

In Tokyo this is Peter Martin reporting for PM.

-------------------------

There you have it man. Either this guy is right that Sony Playstations have ALWAYS been the cutting edge of computer science and we never knew it, or we've finally stumbled upon Kim Jong Il's Sociocide account.

Tom Kagan
16th October 07, 05:21 PM
This plan is, medically speaking, brain dead.

That "Teraflops" measure is not for the processor, it's an "equivalent" for the parallel processing inherent in any modern graphics processor running its very specialized instructions and limited purpose algorithms. Plus, there isn't tremendously optimized graphics support in Linux in the first place (Linus is working on cajoling the community for that) and I highly doubt Sony will be releasing a custom and optimized Linux driver supporting 3D graphics and OpenGL anytime soon for the PS3 hardware any time soon.

Also state of the art P.C. games usually don't like Linux too much in the first place, and a virtual image running MS Windows doesn't do it for them, either.

However, if you want to load up a Linux MAME emulator and fire up that old image of Donkey Kong you happen to have lying around, it might work.

Now, it's brain dead.

SFGOON
17th October 07, 08:41 PM
There you have it man. Either this guy is right that Sony Playstations have ALWAYS been the cutting edge of computer science and we never knew it, or we've finally stumbled upon Kim Jong Il's Sociocide account.[/QUOTE]

Well good news and bad news there.

BAAAAAAAD news; Yes, a PS2 does have advanced terrain modeling capabilities that are readily applied to missile guidance systems. Saddam Hussein is known to have purchased a multitude of them prior to the invasion if Iraq.

GREAT! news; Cruise missiles are the only platform which would need that sort of capability, which are well outside the reach of Kim Jon Il et al.

Fuck yeah!:gwbdance: