PDA

View Full Version : The economics of gold digging

nihilist
12th October 07, 01:09 PM
Perhaps you have read the story, a woman posted the following personal ad on Craigslist (http://newyork.craigslist.org/w4m/):
What am I doing wrong?
Okay, Iím tired of beating around the bush. Iím a beautiful (spectacularly beautiful) 25-year-old girl. Iím articulate and classy. Iím not from New York. Iím looking to get married to a guy who makes at least [a] half a million a year. I know how that sounds, but keep in mind that a million a year is middle class in New York City, so I donít think Iím overreaching at all.
Are there any guys who make 500K or more on this board? Any wives? Could you send me some tips? I dated a businessman who makes average around 200 - 250K. But thatís where I seem to hit a roadblock. 250,000K wonít get me to Central Park West. I know a woman in my yoga class who was married to an investment banker and lives in Tribeca, and sheís not as pretty as I am, nor is she a great genius. So what is she doing right? How do I get to her level?
Here are my questions specifically:
- Where do you single rich men hang out? Give me specifics- bars, restaurants, gyms.
- What are you looking for in a mate? Be honest guys, you wonít hurt my feelings.
- Is there an age range I should be targeting (Iím 25)?
- Why are some of the women living lavish lifestyles on the Upper East Side so plain? Iíve seen really ďplain JaneĒ boring types who have nothing to offer married to incredibly wealthy guys. Iíve seen drop dead gorgeous girls in singles bars in the East Village. Whatís the story there?
- Jobs I should look out for? Everyone knows ó lawyer, investment banker, doctor. How much do those guys really make? And where do they hang out? Where do the hedge fund guys hang out?
- How you decide marriage vs. just a girlfriend? I am looking for MARRIAGE ONLY.
Please hold your insults ó Iím putting myself out there in an honest way. Most beautiful women are superficial; at least Iím being up front about it. I wouldnít be searching for these kind of guys if I wasnít able to match them ó in looks, culture, sophistication, and keeping a nice home and hearth.
The response she got was as follows:

Dear Pers-431649184:
I read your posting with great interest and have thought meaningfully about your dilemma. I offer the following analysis of your predicament. Firstly, Iím not wasting your time, I qualify as a guy who fits your bill; that is I make more than $500K per year. That said, hereís how I see it:
Your offer, from the prospective of a guy like me, is plain and simple a crappy business deal. Hereís why. Cutting through all the B.S., what you suggest is a simple trade: you bring your looks to the party, and I bring my money. Fine, simple. But hereís the rub ó your looks will fade and my money will likely continue into perpetuity Ö in fact, it is very likely that my income increases but it is an absolute certainty that you wonít be getting any more beautiful!
So, in economic terms, you are a depreciating asset and I am an earning asset. Not only are you a depreciating asset, your depreciation accelerates! Let me explain: youíre 25 now and will likely stay pretty hot for the next 5 years, but less so each year. Then the fade begins in earnest. By 35, stick a fork in you!
So in Wall Street terms, we would call you a trading position, not a buy and hold Ö hence the rub Ö marriage. It doesnít make good business sense to ďbuy youĒ (which is what youíre asking) so Iíd rather lease. In case you think Iím being cruel, I would say the following: if my money were to go away, so would you, so when your beauty fades I need an out. Itís as simple as that. So a deal that makes sense is dating, not marriage.
Separately, I was taught early in my career about efficient markets. So, I wonder why a girl as ďarticulate, classy and spectacularly beautifulĒ as you has been unable to find your sugar daddy. I find it hard to believe, if you are as gorgeous as you say you are, that the $500K hasnít found you, if not only for a tryout. By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldnít need to have this difficult conversation.
With all that said, I must say youíre going about it the right way. Classic ďpump and dump.Ē I hope this is helpful, and if you want to enter into some sort of lease, let me know.

Apparently the response was accredited to Rob Campbell an investment banker @ JP Morgan who has since gotten into hot water at work for his "sexist" comments about the woman who wrote the ad.

Is this sexism or is it just the plain old truth directed at a shallow pseudo prostitute?

JimmyTheHutt
12th October 07, 01:43 PM
Is this sexism or is it just the plain old truth directed at a shallow pseudo prostitute?

I really don't see how his comments are sexist? It seems like pretty good analysis to me.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Commodore Pipes
12th October 07, 01:56 PM
This stinks of the internet. The whole scenario was probably constructed so a fat loser could vent and feel superior.

Zendetta
12th October 07, 03:26 PM

Is it "sexist"? Yep - thats why its so lucid.

Speaking of sexism, her attitude towards men is similarly sexist; if women are sex objects, then men are "success objects", and that clearly shows in her personal ad.

And he's not dissing the world's oldest profession. He just understands it alot better than she does. I love the way someone with a clear view of power dynamics can cut thru the BS and lay things bare.

Pure Brutal Genius.

Anybody offended by his "sexism" needs to read closer: he actually suggests that she make her own money so that she doesn't have to whore herself out to rich men who will just "lease" her anyway.

Thanks, Reese, I needed that.

kracker
12th October 07, 03:29 PM
My grandfather was quite the sage. He always told my father that, "No one works harder than the man who marries for money."

Commodore Pipes
12th October 07, 03:45 PM
I'm not offended by his sexism. it just seems so fake. If he is indeed responding to an actual post, I have a hard time believing the original post is sincere. I mean, she's complaining about not being to able meet rich men and asking for tips from successful gold diggers on CRAIGSLIST? It seems like one of those lame fucking forwards you receive from your single uncle that just makes you feel sorry for the guy that he not only buys such obviously false urban legends but feels the need to share it with his nearest and dearest.

In other words, you pity him to see him naked in his lameness.

NoMan
12th October 07, 10:10 PM
The New York Times did an article on it, according to them, it's real.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/08/business/media/08golddigger.html?_r=1&ref=business&oref=slogin

The man in question says that he merely forwarded it, but it added his signature to it.

In terms of market analysis, he's right. The woman is saying, "All I have are looks", and beauty fades. That's not a matter of genius insight, that's the basic meaning behind cliche's like, "Beauty is only skin deep". No one here has receiven swarmy advice from their mom or aunt about marrying a girl just for her looks? If you have, then you have to accuse your mom and aunt of being sexists as well if you think what he said was sexist.

Also his advice here:

By the way, you could always find a way to make your own money and then we wouldnít need to have this difficult conversation.

Is sound advice, how's that sexist? Work bitch, work. But in t3h d34dly P.C. world, anything that is accurate about women is sexist.

Sun Wukong
12th October 07, 10:25 PM
I think that response was a thing of beauty.

SpringHeeledJack
12th October 07, 10:41 PM
Yeah, what he said needed saying.

This is the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread. I just couldn't resist:

N7BmrewitiA

Sun Wukong
12th October 07, 10:59 PM
Dude, i got that exact same advice from my first 1st Sgt. He accredited, in all honesty, his 20 years of happy marriage to the fact his wife wasn't very pretty.

The problem I have with dating really pretty girls is that after a while you stop seeing them as your hot ass girlfriend and start just being your girlfriend. If you don't make a real connection then it's a waste of time and she'll eventually be the pretty girl you used to have sex with.

Riddeck
13th October 07, 01:56 AM
The problem I have with dating really pretty girls is that after a while you stop seeing them as your hot ass girlfriend and start just being your girlfriend. If you don't make a real connection then it's a waste of time and she'll eventually be the pretty girl you used to have sex with.

Well stated.

nihilist
13th October 07, 02:01 AM
The problem I have with dating pretty girls is my wife.

For some reason she doesn't like it.

SFGOON
13th October 07, 10:14 AM
I'm the luckiest son of a bitch in the world then - my wife doesn't know how pretty she is.

Oh, and she's $LOADED$ luckmehahaha!!!

nihilist
13th October 07, 11:49 AM
^asshole^

lol.

jvjim
13th October 07, 11:58 AM
Dude, i got that exact same advice from my first 1st Sgt. He accredited, in all honesty, his 20 years of happy marriage to the fact his wife wasn't very pretty.

Quoted for truth. Inner beauty is her knowing she couldn't POSSIBLY do better.

nihilist
13th October 07, 12:03 PM
Inner beauty is her knowing he could.

bob
13th October 07, 06:14 PM
A lot of guys seem to like to have it both ways. They date or marry pretty women and then do their best to drag their self esteeem down so that they think they can't do any better.

Shawarma
13th October 07, 08:26 PM
Luckily, a large number of women do this themselves without needing any help at all.

WarPhalange
13th October 07, 10:28 PM
I dig for gold every day, but so far I've only found boogers.

Yiktin Voxbane
13th October 07, 10:51 PM
My olde Pappy used to say .... "Son, marry a fat tattooed woman, that way you have warmth in the winter, shade in the summer and moving pictures all year round ."

Sage words Poppa .

nihilist
14th October 07, 12:35 AM
If I may ask a rhetorical question, what does mum look like?

Cullion
14th October 07, 06:05 PM

That whole sad post assumes that you have to make a mutually exclusive choice between 'pretty' and 'good person to be with'. You don't, you really don't.

I think your Sergeant had taken a slightly skewed conculsion from the fact that it's possible to get a girl who is prettier than 'your normal league' if you're prepared to compromise on how much of a pain in the ass she is.

You then eventually realise that the reason you got her despite her being 'hotter than your lusual league' is that the guys who were physically 'in her league' all found her too annoying and dumped her tout suite so she started trading down, and now the 'wow she's hotter than my usual standard' novelty wears off you eventually get as annoyed with her as the guys who weren't as impressed with her physically.. but because the novelty factor made it take so long for the 'wow she's hot' magic to wear off, you're stuck in some kind of commitment you'd feel like an asshole to break unilateraly.

billy sol hurok
14th October 07, 07:42 PM
You then eventually realise that the reason you got her despite her being 'hotter than your lusual league' is that the guys who were physically 'in her league' all found her too annoying and dumped her tout suite so she started trading down, and now the 'wow she's hotter than my usual standard' novelty wears off you eventually get as annoyed with her as the guys who weren't as impressed with her physically.. but because the novelty factor made it take so long for the 'wow she's hot' magic to wear off, you're stuck in some kind of commitment you'd feel like an asshole to break unilateraly.
Ah yes, the free market's Invisible Dick (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Hand).

socratic
14th October 07, 08:04 PM
poy_yWPVXNU

Now that that's said, I guess it tends to depend on how your partner feels in terms of where you stand in their 'league'. You ain't gonna have much fun if your partner KNOWS they can do better.