PDA

View Full Version : Archbishop Desmond Tutu banned from speaking at US university due to antisemitism

Cullion
6th October 07, 07:58 AM
Apparently Archbishop Tutu is too hardcore an anti-semite to speak to college students in the US. Quote from an official of the university:

We had heard some things he said that some people judged to be anti-Semitic and against Israeli policy.

What The Fuck?

The speech which the administrator in question objected to complained about Israeli treatment of palestinians in the occupied territories (for god's sake, I know jewish people who say simillar things), but actually contained the following statement:-

We don't criticize the Jewish people," he said during the speech. "We criticize, we will criticize when they need to be criticized, the government of Israel

Thankfully there's a sane jewish professor on campus to point out the 'WTF?' nature of this.

As a Jew who experienced real anti-Semitism as a child, I'm deeply disturbed that a man like Tutu could be labeled anti-Semitic and silenced like this," he says. "I deeply resent the Israeli lobby trying to silence any criticism of its policy. It does a great disservice to Israel and to all Jews.

This is ridiculous.

http://articles.citypages.com/2007-10-03/news/banning-desmond-tutu/

Leodom
6th October 07, 08:54 AM
Wow! Setting this in the context of the University inviting Ahmadinijad to speak is actually somewhat comical.

Ahmad can speak even though he advocates "pushing Israel into the sea."

Bishop Tutu is denied because he criticized the Israeli Government.

Where are all the "Free Speech" advocates fighting for the Bishop's right to speak?

Does anyone think the fact that Tutu is a Bishop is an issue in this decision? (Freedom from religion and all that jazz)

Teh El Macho
6th October 07, 09:09 AM
There is people who hate Tutu for being a bishop. If you are anti-X (where X is any religion other than Christianity), you are labeled a 'bigot'. However, if you are anti-christian in any form, degree, shape or manner, you are an 'skeptic intellectual, a man of science and reason.'

Had he been a secular figure, I can assure you, there would be a PR shitstorm going on right now. Not only that, remember that the old Apartheid South Africa was touted a christian bastion against communism back in the day, and those who believed so are still in power today.

You are not going to see any major figure in the US rallying for Bishop Tutu. Hypocrisy runs high on this side of the ocean.

Cullion
6th October 07, 09:26 AM
I think it's just because they are different universities and hence different people making the decisions.

Quikfeet509
6th October 07, 10:23 AM
You can be anti-Christian and still like some of the things that Bishop Tutu has said:

I keep having to remind people that religion in and of itself is morally neutral. Religion is like a knife. When you use a knife for cutting up bread to prepare sandwiches, a knife is good. If you use the same knife to stick into somebody’s guts, a knife is bad. Religion in and of itself is not good or bad—it is what it makes you do…

WarPhalange
6th October 07, 12:09 PM
I'm fucking tired of not being able to criticize Israel because I get labeled anti-semitic. For fuck's sake, there are more than just Jews in Israel!

Teh El Macho
6th October 07, 12:34 PM
I know, there is pita bread and tabouli for example.

TM
6th October 07, 12:44 PM
(Puts on his flame retardant underware.) I think he's a fucktard because he's a catholic bishop. And yes I have a catholic bishop in my family too. He's also a fucktard.

kwoww
6th October 07, 02:04 PM
I'm fucking tired of not being able to criticize Israel because I get labeled anti-semitic. For fuck's sake, there are more than just Jews in Israel!

There are more Jews in NYC than there are in Israel.

Wow! Setting this in the context of the University inviting Ahmadinijad to speak is actually somewhat comical.

Ahmad can speak even though he advocates "pushing Israel into the sea."

Bishop Tutu is denied because he criticized the Israeli Government.

Where are all the "Free Speech" advocates fighting for the Bishop's right to speak?

Does anyone think the fact that Tutu is a Bishop is an issue in this decision? (Freedom from religion and all that jazz)

Cullion
6th October 07, 02:33 PM
(Puts on his flame retardant underware.) I think he's a fucktard because he's a catholic bishop. And yes I have a catholic bishop in my family too. He's also a fucktard.

Archbishop Tutu is not a Roman Catholic, he is an Anglican (or what you would call Episcopalian).

Sun Wukong
7th October 07, 12:12 AM
Tutu is one of the greatest humanitarians of our day. This, without a doubt, is ridiculous.

jubei33
7th October 07, 08:35 AM
University of St Where? They need to get him a real venue, one that doesn't hire elmer fudd-esque idiots. Wasn't there a university that allowed some racist guy speak a couple of months ago---god what was that, it was on the news too!?

I know, it must have been adimajihababa!