PDA

View Full Version : Study: Few do not form racial prejudices

polishillusion
25th September 07, 05:27 PM
http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/Health/2007/09/25/study_few_do_not_form_racial_prejudices/1298/

Study: Few do not form racial prejudices

CHICAGO, 25 (UPI) -- U.S. researchers found just 7 percent of respondents do not have the usual human tendency to favor one's own group and not form racial prejudices.

Their study, published in the journal Psychological Science, found the 7 percent of people that showed no racial bias differed from biased individuals in a fundamental way -- they also were less likely to form negative emotional associations in general.

Robert Livingston of Northwestern University and Brian Drwecki of the University of Wisconsin asked white college students to do tasks that repeatedly paired unfamiliar Chinese characters with positive or negative images such as puppies or snakes. The results showed non-biased individuals were less likely than biased individuals to acquire negative emotions toward the character paired with negative pictures.

"Just as it is difficult to change visceral reactions to aversive foods -- for example lima beans -- through sheer force of will, it may also be difficult to change visceral attitudes toward racial groups by acknowledging that prejudice is wrong and wanting to change," Livingston says.

While reason may not change negative associations, Livingston and Drwecki argue negative associations could be reconditioned through positive interpersonal experiences or exposure to positive images of people of other races.

Bullshit! I think that EVERYONE has racial prejudices. Plus, how does this test even prove anything about racism.

downinit
25th September 07, 05:33 PM
I'd like to know the operational definition of 'biased' individuals.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
25th September 07, 05:37 PM
Bullshit! I think that EVERYONE has racial prejudices.

You =/= everyone else

polishillusion
25th September 07, 05:46 PM
You =/= everyone else. I can not stop trolling.

K. Thnx. Bye.

Yes, I have racial prejudices which I dislike. I was raised in a society that placed them on me, and I work towards ridding myself of them daily.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
25th September 07, 05:56 PM
What the hell does "work towards ridding myself of them" mean? Do you only attack half the black people you see?

polishillusion
25th September 07, 06:52 PM
What the hell does "work towards ridding myself of them" mean? Do you only attack half the black people you see?

It means understanding the needs behind the ideals I hold and facilitating connection between myself and other people.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
25th September 07, 06:55 PM
So you're still a racist piece of shit but you feel sorry about it?

polishillusion
25th September 07, 07:15 PM

How about you? Enjoy expressing how you dislike discriminatory practices? I admit that I have a set of views that is effected by our society. And that I am an asshole. The term "racist" does not fit in with my world view.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
25th September 07, 07:37 PM
racial prejudice = racism = what this thread is about

polishillusion
25th September 07, 07:39 PM
your point?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
25th September 07, 07:50 PM
How about you? Enjoy expressing how you dislike discriminatory practices? I admit that I have a set of views that is effected by our society. And that I am an asshole. The term "racist" does not fit in with my world view.

"Expressing how you dislike discriminatory practices" is not racism.

polishillusion
25th September 07, 07:56 PM
Did I say it was?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
25th September 07, 07:59 PM
You're trying to accuse me of prejudice, which is erroneous and irrelevant.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
25th September 07, 08:06 PM

BEHIND THE INTERNET: THE MEGA JESUS-SAMA STORY

"erroneous and irrelevant" actually were the first two words that came to my fingers. I thought it was a little too pretentious at first and was about to change it when I realized I was stroking my cock over how cool I sounded,

Olorin
25th September 07, 08:06 PM
...asked white college students to do tasks that repeatedly paired

Always pickin' on the white man.

polishillusion
25th September 07, 08:12 PM

Where?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
25th September 07, 08:24 PM

How about you? Enjoy expressing how you dislike discriminatory practices?

Maybe you shouldn't engage in a battle of wits with someone who reads better than you.

polishillusion
25th September 07, 08:42 PM
So, I said you are racist by asking if you liked expressing your opinion of racists?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
25th September 07, 08:44 PM
Or tried to anyway.

polishillusion
25th September 07, 08:45 PM
Or tried to anyway.

Explain how you come to this conclusion, since I obviously did not say that.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
25th September 07, 11:04 PM
You can sit here and say NUH UH until you die (please?) or you can stop posting forever.

DAYoung
26th September 07, 01:32 AM
EVERYBODY LEAVE BRITNEY ALONE.

Sun Wukong
26th September 07, 01:49 AM
Well, that study doesn't prove anything, it merely suggests something. Also, I'd like to see how causation is proved by associating words from an unfamiliar language with positive and negative pictures.

Cullion
26th September 07, 05:18 AM
Yeah, people probably on a base instinctive level feel a tiny bit more 'at home' amongst people from their own ethnic group. We're not chimpanzees and we have this big cerebellum capable of overriding such base instincts when experience, knowledge and logic tell us that it's a bad idea.

I'm amazed people get grants to demonstrate such obvious things.

Besides, what's a little casual racism between friends ?

DAYoung
26th September 07, 05:34 AM
SHUT UP YOU LIMEY POM SCUMBAG.

Also: hugs.

Truculent Sheep
26th September 07, 06:11 AM
It's people from Exeter I hate. They come here, steal our jobs, pleasure our women more effectively than we do and raise house prices. They should be deported back to Devon. That said, they do a great curry.

DAYoung
26th September 07, 06:19 AM
All of that applies to Australia.

Are you trying to tell me something?

WAS THAT YOUR WOMAN I PLEASURED BY TALKING INTELLIGENTLY ABOUT SCHILLER?

Cullion
26th September 07, 07:27 AM
All of that applies to Australia.

Are you trying to tell me something?

WAS THAT YOUR WOMAN I PLEASURED BY TALKING INTELLIGENTLY ABOUT SCHILLER?

Just the first of many I fear. I hear there's a 'bored UK housewives who would like to be educated to wicked extremes by Dr. Young'-group on facebook now.

Judah Maccabee
26th September 07, 11:16 AM
The test they used is the Implicit Association Test. I did research with this test and in fact had a conversation with one of the creators of the test regarding its shortcomings.

It's an effective test for what it sets out to measure - time lapses in matching paired stimuli. And the premise on which it is based is sound: Associations between stimuli that are in line with your existing beliefs are easier to make than those which require a degree of cognitive thought. Therefore, if you unconsciously feel that, say, old people are bad, it will be easier to make associations between old people and negative stimuli than with positive stimuli.

Note the bolded word - unconscious. There is a significant body of literature which establishes that unconscious racist/ageist/sexist attitudes does not fully translate into conscious discriminatory/prejudiced behavior. That is why the researchers who invented the test implicitly say "Do not use this test as a screening tool for racists."

This is another case of the media seizing upon a valid test and blowing it out of proportion (ZOMG WE'RE ALL CLOSET RACISTS).

Cullion
26th September 07, 11:20 AM
Does the results of the test show any readings for exogamy in the data ?

TM
26th September 07, 11:56 AM
I'm prejudiced as hell. I don't want Biff or Muffy making my soul food or chinese food. They should stick to bubble and squeek or bangers and mash.

Zendetta
26th September 07, 05:19 PM
I distrust and dislike Jazz players of European descent.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th September 07, 05:22 PM
Django Reinhardt was infinitely more musical than all your shitty fusion players.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
26th September 07, 05:24 PM
p.s. fuck you coltrane

DAYoung
26th September 07, 05:36 PM
I'm worried about Japanese fountain pens.

Are they any good?

The White Race wants to know.

Cullion
26th September 07, 05:38 PM
I'm worried about Japanese fountain pens.

Are they any good?

The White Race wants to know.

Not bad for a copy, but not as good as the real thing, obviously.

DAYoung
26th September 07, 05:48 PM
Not bad for a copy, but not as good as the real thing, obviously.

RACIST.

Cullion
26th September 07, 05:57 PM
You'll be cursing like a stormtrooper and wishing you'd listened to Uncle Cullion when that cheap import leaks sake all over your manuscript and then explodes in a cloud of nib-fragments and whale-bone-casing.

Then we'll see who's a racist.

DAYoung
26th September 07, 06:00 PM
You'll be cursing like a stormtrooper and wishing you'd listened to Uncle Cullion when that cheap import leaks sake all over your manuscript and then explodes in a cloud of nib-fragments and whale-bone-casing.

Then we'll see who's a racist.

I was thinking of a 1930-40s model, made for the Japanese market.

TheGreenJacket
26th September 07, 11:53 PM
Personally, I've had to deal with prejudice all my life. It isn't pleasant and I would not wish it on anyone else. I am what you might refer to as a scholar, as I do not simply study science, philosophy, religion, psychology, neurology, or anything else in particular, and instead try to understand everything by trying to understand everything. It seems the blatantly logical choice, though not many seem to realise it. I make no assumptions as to the disposition of the reader because it is in the nature of the Universe to create an exception to every generalisation as soon as it is made, even that one. But what I am interested in discussing, is that from my perspective as a Zen Mysticist, the term Guai'lo, or ghost person, or white ghost, seems to me to be a great irony. It seems as though the only people who would choose to think of others as Guai'lo, are those who are unenlightened, and do not yet understand that everything around us, every person we meet is simply ourselves, what is internal is external and visa versa, everything is nothing, form is emptiness, so by thinking any being is inherently less than you are, is simply an excuse for undiscipline and anger, even hatred. All of which can only lead to you lessening yourself, holding yourself back from understanding, compassion, open-mindedness and of course enlightenment, which in a strange sense, makes you the lesser being by your own measure. Too often people judge me before they understand me, and too often they are stunned by how I speak, that a mere white devil might have such understanding, while so many among his race are not merely ignorant but unwilling to learn. As one who did not achieve enlightenment because I was told what I should be looking for, and so found the answer because it was what I expected, but instead was not a buddhist until after I found enlightenment, and realised what I had discovered was the same truth Gautama found so many years ago, I can tell you, enlightenment is like gaining sight you had not before (though it seems you had it all along) and being able to agree with those who also see, not because you are brainwashed, far from it, but because for the first time, you are free, you are the world and everything in it, and yet you are nothing, your problems wash away as you see they were all your own doing anyway. If you want to change the world change yourself, it's all you anyway.

DAYoung
27th September 07, 02:30 AM
Buddha's Fifth Noble Truth is 'paragraphs'.

TM
27th September 07, 11:11 AM
I'm calling bullshit. The Namiki vanishing point is the finest fountain pen there is and it is original, not a copy of any overpriced European pens. BTW, Waterman was originally an American pen. The French bought the company. They do this a lot.

Coltrane is not fusion. Coltrane was Bebop.
Fusion is the bastard child of jazz and rock, two styles that evolved from the blues, so in a sense it is inbred retarded music.

polishillusion
27th September 07, 11:18 AM
the first 4 are?

DAYoung
27th September 07, 03:11 PM
the first 4 are?

From the Great Wiki Sutra.

The Nature of Dukkha: Suffering exists in life. This is the noble truth of "dukkha": the word "Dukkha" is usually translated as "suffering" in English. Birth is dukkha, aging is dukkha, sickness is dukkha, death is dukkha; union with what is displeasing is dukkha; separation from what is pleasing is dukkha; not to get what one wants is dukkha; to get what one does not want is dukkha; in brief, the five aggregates subject to clinging are dukkha. This first Noble Truth reflects on the nature of suffering. It comments on types of suffering, identifying each type in turn. A more accurate simplification of this truth is "Life is full of suffering."

The Origin of Dukkha (Samudaya): Suffering is caused by craving. This is the noble truth of the origin of dukkha: It is craving which leads to renewed existence, accompanied by delight and lust; that is, craving for sensual pleasures, craving for existence, craving for extermination. The second Noble Truth reflects on the sources of suffering (Dukkha.) Put very simply, it states that suffering results from expectations linked to our desires, and our attachment to those desires themselves.

The Cessation of Dukkha (Nirodha): To eliminate suffering, eliminate craving. This is the noble truth of the cessation of dukkha: It is the remainderless fading away and cessation of that same craving, the giving up and relinquishing of it, freedom from it, and non-reliance on it. The third Noble Truth reflects on the belief that suffering can be eliminated. It asserts that it can be done, and that it has been done.

The Way Leading to the Cessation of Dukkha (Magga): To eliminate craving follow the Eightfold Path. This is the noble truth of the way leading to the cessation of Dukkha: It is the Noble Eightfold Path; that is, right view, right intention, right speech, right action, right livelihood, right effort, right mindfulness, right concentration.

DAYoung
27th September 07, 03:12 PM
I'm calling bullshit. The Namiki vanishing point is the finest fountain pen there is and it is original, not a copy of any overpriced European pens. BTW, Waterman was originally an American pen. The French bought the company. They do this a lot.

Fusion is the bastard child of jazz and rock, two styles that evolved from the blues, so in a sense it is inbred retarded music.

Noted.

polishillusion
27th September 07, 04:31 PM
i thought you were gonna make the LOLs with a Bullshido version of it :'(

DAYoung
27th September 07, 04:41 PM
i thought you were gonna make the LOLs with a Bullshido version of it :'(

"I make you laugh, I amuse you?"

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
27th September 07, 05:05 PM

Coltrane was shit is what he was.

polishillusion
27th September 07, 06:30 PM
"I make you laugh, I amuse you?"

That or some shit. get to it, biatch.

TM
29th September 07, 09:32 AM
Coltrane was shit is what he was.

I prefer to say he's a prime example on why one should not take heroin.

Stick
29th September 07, 11:32 AM

And that's all I have to say about that.

billy sol hurok
30th September 07, 05:55 PM
Coltrane was da shit is what he was.