PDA

View Full Version : Everyone in Boston needs to kill themselves

Plasma
21st September 07, 01:10 PM
Seriously. First the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Promotional Skit and now this. For a city containing BU and MIT I am surprised how many fucking retards live there.

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2007/09/mit_student_arr.html?p1=MEWell_Pos3

Star Simpson was charged with possessing a hoax device today at Logan International Airport for wearing a sweatshirt that had a circuit board affixed to the front with green LED lights and wires running to a 9-volt battery.

By Anna Badkhen, Michael Levenson, and Andrew Ryan, Globe Staff

An MIT student wearing a device on her chest that included lights and wires was arrested at gunpoint at Logan International Airport this morning after authorities thought the contraption was a bomb strapped to her body.

Star Simpson, 19, was wearing a black hooded sweatshirt and approached an airport employee in Terminal C at 8 a.m. to inquire about an incoming flight from Oakland, according to Major Scott Pare of the State Police. She was holding a lump of what looked like putty in her hands. The employee asked about the plastic circuit board on her chest, and Simpson walked away without responding, Pare said.

Outside the terminal, Simpson was surrounded by police holding machine guns.

"She was immediately told to stop, to raise her hands, and not make any movement so we could observe all her movements to see if she was trying to trip any type of device," Pare said at a press conference at Logan. "There was obviously a concern that had she not followed the protocol ... we may have used deadly force."

Simpson was arrested, and it was quickly determined that the device was harmless.

"She said it was a piece of art and she wanted to stand out on career day," Pare said. "She was holding what was later found to be playdough."

Affixed to the front of her black sweatshirt was a pale beige circuit board with green LED lights and wires running to a 9-volt battery. Written on the back of the sweatshirt in what appeared to be gold magic marker was the phrase "socket to me" and below that was written "Course VI," which refers to the electrical engineering and computer science program at MIT.

Simpson was charged with possessing a hoax device and was arraigned today East Boston Municipal Court. She was held on $750 cash bail and ordered to return to court Oct. 29.

"Thankfully because she followed our instructions, she ended up in our cell instead of a morgue," Pare said. "Again, this is a serious offense ... I�m shocked and appalled that somebody would wear this type of device to an airport."

According to the MIT website, Simpson is from Kihei, Hawaii, and is a sprinter on the school's swim team. On Simpson's personal website at MIT, she says she is studying computers and enjoys tinkering in a student-run machine shop.

"In a sentence, I'm an inventor, artist, engineer, and student, I love to build things and I love crazy ideas," the website says.

WarPhalange
21st September 07, 01:40 PM
Flashing lights and wires make Bostonians go apeshit. It's their genetic weakness. Just like a grass Pokemon is vulnerable to fire. Of course, a grass Pokemon is also strong against electricity. So what are Bostonians strong against? Common sense.

Steve
21st September 07, 01:53 PM
According to the MIT website, Simpson is from Kihei, Hawaii, and is a sprinter on the school's swim team.

They didn't ask her to take the shirt off? Bummer.

cyrijl
21st September 07, 02:29 PM
Flashing lights and wires make Bostonians go apeshit.
that's why we only have one neon sign in the whole city.

Arhetton
21st September 07, 02:36 PM
yeah how could she be a sprinter on the swimming team. Shes definately a retard

ojgsxr6
21st September 07, 02:53 PM
Boston is full of humorless pricks, I've said it a hundred times.

PizDoff
21st September 07, 03:21 PM
How does she fit that hair into a swim cap?

ironlurker
21st September 07, 05:09 PM
Seriously. First the Aqua Teen Hunger Force Promotional Skit and now this. For a city containing BU and MIT I am surprised how many fucking retards live there.

Tufts is for rich kids who can't get into Harvard, BU is for rich kids that can't get into Tufts. MIT? One physics professor I know called it a "vocational school" LOL

Question!
21st September 07, 05:15 PM
You got rejected from all those schools, didn't you?

WarPhalange
21st September 07, 05:20 PM
Everybody seems to try REALLY hard at MIT. Definately not a place for me.

ironlurker
21st September 07, 05:31 PM
You got rejected from all those schools, didn't you?
Sweet burn, but I never applied to MIT.

edit-

On her MIT Web site, Star Simpson wrote "I'm an inventor, artist, engineer, and student, I love to build things and I love crazy ideas."

DAYoung
21st September 07, 06:28 PM
Tufts is for rich kids who can't get into Harvard, BU is for rich kids that can't get into Tufts. MIT? One physics professor I know called it a "vocational school" LOL

Hmmm. Dennett does some good work. I wouldn't want him tainted by association with these 'rich kids'.

ironlurker
21st September 07, 06:43 PM
Hmmm. Dennett does some good work. I wouldn't want him tainted by association with these 'rich kids'.

First off, no one could ever taint the purity of Santa Claus. Secondly, I doubt many of them are in the CCS.

Dagon Akujin
21st September 07, 07:22 PM
"In a sentence, I'm an inventor, artist, engineer, and student, I love to build things and I love crazy ideas," the website says.

INCORRECT.

Should be:

"In a sentence, I'm an inventor, artist, engineer, and student. I love to build things and I love crazy ideas."

-or-

"In a sentence, I'm an inventor, artist, engineer, and student; I love to build things and I love crazy ideas."

RETARD MIT GENIUS LOL LOL!!!

ironlurker
21st September 07, 07:36 PM
From her homepage:

For various reasons, I've felt I had to move out with my roommate. Rather than go through all the paperwork heavy, even antisocial normal modes, like applying for different housing, or telling her I don't want to live with her, I decided to sleep on as many different couches on campus as possible, and to keep a log so I remember where the best couchland sleeps are to be obtained.
MITERS
Media Lab (3rd Floor Lounge, & Affective Computing Group)
CSAIL Spatial Intelligence Group
Brooke Jarrett's couch (Senior Haus)
Student Center Coffehouse
tEp Front Room
Course 6 LabMITERS - somewhat cramped couch, a little bit drafty, definitely comfortable and in a good afternoon nap environment when MITERS is not occupied. High potential for dustiness. 2/5.

Media Lab - Thoughtfully purchased, comfortably upholstered armrest-less couches (the better to sleep here, my dear). Neither of these couches (same model) are in a particularly good sleeping environment, although the third floor sports some delicious hot chocolate, and a flow of interesting people. 3/5

CSAIL - Wonderful couches. Great sleeping space, long, warm couches on which it's equally delightful to work or to slumber. 4/5

Brooke's Couch - same model as MITERS couch, except in a darker, quieter environment. Delightful for tooling, a little difficult to sleep on. 3/5

Student Center - Nervewracking environment (I had my laptop on me, and kept waking up to be sure strangers weren't rifling through my bags.) Also, relatively uncomfortable, probably to keep vagabond students like me from crashing there more regularly. 2/5

tEp's Front Room Couch - This couch is plush and comfortable, but tends to get very cold at night. High quality couch sleepin to be had, with a blanket. This couch also folds out, but turns into a nightmare of crumbs and debris should you attempt to sleep on it that way. The matress is also rather worn, of the roll-to-the-center-of-the-mattress-all-night style. 3/5

Course 6 Lab Couches are all right, but I woke up with a stuffy, dusty nose. Extremely convenient, not especially comfortable, but long enough to stretch out on. Also, don't sleep on the women's bathroom couches on this same floor - they are cold and hard. 3/5
http://web.mit.edu/stars/www/couches.html

Her:

http://www.thebostonchannel.com/2007/0921/14172637_240X180.jpg

Her boyfriend:
http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AP_Photo/2007/09/21/1190402825_5169.jpg

LOL :emo:

Stick
21st September 07, 09:14 PM
I have very little respect for Boston authorities.

Dagon Akujin
22nd September 07, 12:50 AM
I'm really not sure which one to post.

MZ70hbvaPdU

Dagon Akujin
22nd September 07, 12:51 AM
Or... This fucking one!

nJBxLL8YkTI

Anna Kovacs
22nd September 07, 02:24 AM
The moral of the story is that the airport isn't the place to stand out. I'm actually kind of surprised that people would defend doing something as dumb as wearing flashing lights and wires and circuits on your shirt.

Sounds to me like she is either really naive or was trying to get precisely the reaction she got. Perhaps a few loaded guns being pointed in her direction will prove to be a life lesson that sticks.

Stick
22nd September 07, 02:33 AM
Yeah, she's pretty fucking lucky she wasn't shot when they drew down on her; if she'd twitched funny or put her hands in the wrong place it would've been "OMG SHE BE FLIPP'N DA SWITCH!" And then this would be a much bigger story.

Cullion
22nd September 07, 02:34 AM

I met some truly, truly pasty-skinned, arrogant humourless automatons in graduate school who'd been MIT undergrads.

WarPhalange
22nd September 07, 12:18 PM
The moral of the story is that the airport isn't the place to stand out. I'm actually kind of surprised that people would defend doing something as dumb as wearing flashing lights and wires and circuits on your shirt.

Exactly. The terrorists won't stand out.

Sun Wukong
22nd September 07, 04:46 PM
They didn't ask her to take the shirt off? Bummer.

I saw her picture, she's definitely in the "Cute island girl" category.

Sun Wukong
22nd September 07, 04:48 PM
I met some truly, truly pasty-skinned, arrogant humourless automatons in graduate school who'd been MIT undergrads.

Dude, I think you were hanging with the wrong crowd then. One of my friends from the army gradauted from MIT and he was a truly cool guy. With any luck, he's an officer by now.

ironlurker
22nd September 07, 04:57 PM
I saw her picture, she's definitely in the "Cute island girl" category.
I thought the same thing. Bet she's wild too, but if so, those artsy-sex-fiend types usually do like "crazy ideas"
(such as creative-performance-art-political-statement-that-ends-up-with-submachine-guns- involved) *sigh*

nihilist
23rd September 07, 12:30 AM
Or... This fucking one!

Yeah, she's pretty fucking lucky
c-uwa9dUCk0

Fuck.

Sun Wukong
23rd September 07, 07:27 PM
[quote=AnnaTrocity]The moral of the story is that the airport isn't the place to stand out. I'm actually kind of surprised that people would defend doing something as dumb as wearing flashing lights and wires and circuits on your shirt.

[\quote]

Oh come on, what kind of suicide bomber is going to put highly visible flashing lights on their shirt where it's completely visible. The cute kind from Hawaii? Yeah, because those are everywhere.

Anna Kovacs
23rd September 07, 07:31 PM
Oh come on, what kind of suicide bomber is going to put highly visible flashing lights on their shirt where it's completely visible. The cute kind from Hawaii? Yeah, because those are everywhere.

I'm not suggesting that someone should mistake her for an actual suicide bomber, I'm simply saying one shouldn't draw attention in such an environment because all it does is make life harder for you.

People have missed their flights and worse over far less involved jokes.

Anna Kovacs
23rd September 07, 07:34 PM
I mean really, when airlines are barring congressional medal of honor wearing war hero's from taking their congressional medal of honer on the plane because it's pointy what do you think is going to happen to someone with wires and shit on their fuckin shirt?

She was clearly trying to get exactly what she got.

Sun Wukong
24th September 07, 01:35 AM
I mean really, when airlines are barring congressional medal of honor wearing war hero's from taking their congressional medal of honer on the plane because it's pointy what do you think is going to happen to someone with wires and shit on their fuckin shirt?

While that's a pretty good point, I'm going to err on the side of her thinking that the average person is WAY smarter than the Department of homeland security appears to be.

Toby Christensen
22nd October 07, 06:56 AM
One of my history teachers was from Boston.

The clueless bitch.

Commodore Pipes
22nd October 07, 09:37 AM
Yeah, she's pretty fucking lucky she wasn't shot when they drew down on her; if she'd twitched funny or put her hands in the wrong place it would've been "OMG SHE BE FLIPP'N DA SWITCH!" And then this would be a much bigger story.

I have to say that her indignation would be much more rigteous if she wasn't walking around with a piece of play-doh. I mean, sure, plastique probably doesn't come in primary colors, but if professional interrogators are complaining that professional soldiers are getting hinky ideas from TV, what do expect from the airport x-ray jocks?

"Oh shits she has the play-doh!1! Itza bomb yo!

WarPhalange
22nd October 07, 05:40 PM
One of my history teachers was from Boston.

The clueless bitch.

So you say she taught you everything you know?

Hands
23rd October 07, 11:47 PM

Yes, and LEDs are a really nice feature to put on your bombs. Lets you know when its about to go off an all.

I'm sure many airport cops would love to arrest someone for being stupid. They got their wish that day.

WarPhalange
24th October 07, 12:17 AM
Don't forget the beeping that keeps getting faster and faster.

Hands
24th October 07, 12:23 AM
Don't forget the beeping that keeps getting faster and faster.
Or they could beep "you're fucked" in morse code.

Thinkchair
26th October 07, 08:12 PM

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/city_region/breaking_news/2007/09/mit_student_arr.html?p1=MEWell_Pos3

It is beause of BU, MIT and Harvard that we act this way. We are so worried that the rest of the country might think we are a bunch of elbow patch wearing pansies, that we posture as hard ass crime fighters.

P.S. The Yankees Suck

jubei33
27th October 07, 08:45 AM
Next week on running with scissors: When little girls get bored

Thinkchair
28th October 07, 04:03 PM
Frankly, as a Bostonian, I am much less concerned about the hypervigilance at Logan than the falling tunnels. Most of the problems with Boston authorities can be traced to nepotism. The head of Mass Port when 911 happened only got that job because she had served as the governor's secretary.

Stick
28th October 07, 09:39 PM
Frankly, as a Bostonian, I am much less concerned about the hypervigilance at Logan than the falling tunnels. Most of the problems with Boston authorities can be traced to nepotism. The head of Mass Port when 911 happened only got that job because she had served as the governor's secretary.

So, is the governor a relative of hers? Just in case you were not aware, the situation you just tossed out as your example of nepotism at work in Boston is, on the surface at least, not nepotism.

SFGOON
29th October 07, 03:10 AM

I know a few guys from MIT via my lockpicking connections. They are scary fucking smart. I also know a few Harvard idiots. I think they're idiots. And stoners.

Shawarma
29th October 07, 01:39 PM
Are there any colleges in the US where you're guaranteed entry if your family is old money, poltical royalty or notable in some way no matter what kind of dubmshit you are?

Commodore Pipes
29th October 07, 04:42 PM
Yes, I believe they are called the Ivy League.

Thinkchair
29th October 07, 07:34 PM
So, is the governor a relative of hers? Just in case you were not aware, the situation you just tossed out as your example of nepotism at work in Boston is, on the surface at least, not nepotism.

My mistake. I meant Cronyism. But both are rampant in Massachusetts.

Stick
30th October 07, 09:59 AM
My mistake. I meant Cronyism. But both are rampant in Massachusetts.

I don't doubt it.

Plasma
31st October 07, 09:56 PM
Are there any colleges in the US where you're guaranteed entry if your family is old money, poltical royalty or notable in some way no matter what kind of dubmshit you are?

Yale

Toby Christensen
27th November 07, 07:07 AM
So you say she taught you everything you know?

Hmmm...

Let's see...

Showing disrespect to the Norfolk Island flag. Yep.
Complete ignorance of Captain Cook's notions of his voyage to Australia? Yep.
Shamelessly and relentlessly making wild and wonderful nutriding stories involving America? Yep.

Carpe Noctem
27th November 07, 09:45 AM
So...she walks into an airport wearing a piece of circuitry that could be mistaken for a detonator, holding a piece of gray clay in her hands (I believe the article said it was gray) which could be mistaken for C4.

What a fucking moron. You do something like that in today's cultivated climate of fear, what do you think's going to happen? I'm honestly surprised that the police didn't take her out.

Toby Christensen
28th November 07, 01:44 AM
Oh yes and PS the student is an idiot. She should use the thing others call LUGGAGE.

I mean I got pulled up for having a steel cap on my boot, and she walks in wearing wires...

Intelligence=less than wisdom in this case.