PDA

View Full Version : See, this seems like a hate crime...

Commodore Pipes
11th September 07, 06:23 PM
Now, we touched on the nature of hate crimes a little bit when talking about the incidents in Jena, LA, but this seems like hate crime is a pretty good description...

Police mull hate crime charges for W.Va. attack

Suspects allegedly use racial slur, torture woman for a week

CHARLESTON, W.Va. - Authorities said Tuesday they are considering hate crime charges in the case of a woman who was tortured while being held captive for at least a week, and they are investigating the possibility that she was lured by a man she met on the Internet.

The victim was repeatedly called a racial slur while her captors sexually abused, beat and stabbed her, her mother said.

Six people, all white, including a mother and son and a mother and daughter, were arrested in connection with the alleged abduction of the 20-year-old black woman.

“I don’t understand a human being doing another human being the way they did my daughter,” Carmen Williams said Tuesday from her daughter’s room at Charleston Area Medical Center General Hospital. “I didn’t know there were people like that out here.”

Megan Williams, with a cast on her arm, spoke barely above a whisper.
“I’m better,” she said.

The Associated Press generally does not identify suspected victims of sexual assault, but Williams and her mother agreed to release her name.

'Out of a horror movie'

A prosecutor said police are investigating the possibility that the victim was lured to the house where she was attacked by a man she met on the internet, but Carmen Williams insisted that wasn’t the case. “This wasn’t from the Internet,” she said.

Deputies also interviewed the victim Tuesday morning. State, local and federal officials planned to meet later in the day to decide whether to file hate crime charges, Logan County sheriff’s Sgt. Sonya Porter said. An FBI spokesman in Pittsburgh, Bill Crowley, confirmed that the agency is looking into possible civil rights violations.

The woman’s abductors called her the N-word “every time they stabbed her,” Carmen Williams told The Charleston Gazette earlier.

Authorities were still looking for two people they believe drove the woman to the house where she was abused, said Logan County Chief Deputy V.K. Dingess.
The case is “something that would have come out of a horror movie,” Logan County Sheriff W.E. Hunter said.

Deputies found Williams on Saturday when they went to the house in Big Creek, about 35 miles southwest of Charleston, to investigate an anonymous tip from someone who had witnessed the abuse, Porter said Tuesday.

One of the suspects, Frankie Brewster, was sitting on the front porch and told deputies she was alone, but moments later the woman limped toward the door, her arms outstretched, saying “Help me,” the sheriff’s department said in a news release.

Alleged victim may leave hospital soon

Carmen Williams said doctors told her daughter she may be well enough to leave the hospital within a few days, although a nurse said the young woman’s condition was listed as “under evaluation.”

“I just want my daughter to be well and recover,” Carmen Williams said. “I know the Lord can do anything.”

Besides being sexually assaulted, the woman was stabbed four times in the left leg and beaten, Porter said. Her eyes were black and blue. The wounds were inflicted at least a week ago, deputies said.

The woman was forced to eat rat and dog feces and drink from a toilet, according to the criminal complaint filed in magistrate court. She also had been choked with a cord, it alleges.

One of those arrested, Karen Burton, is accused of cutting the woman’s ankle with a knife. She used the N-word in telling the woman she was victimized because she is black, according to the criminal complaint.

Six suspects charged

The six suspects were arrested Saturday and Sunday. Deputies were still trying to determine whether the woman knew her assailants, Porter said.

Brewster, the 49-year-old who owns the home where the alleged attacks occurred, is charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, malicious wounding and giving false information during a felony investigation.

Her son, Bobby R. Brewster, 24, also of Big Creek, is charged with kidnapping, sexual assault, malicious wounding and assault during the commission of a felony.
Burton, 46, of Chapmanville, is charged with malicious wounding, battery and assault during the commission of a felony.

Her daughter Alisha Burton, 23, of Chapmanville, and George A. Messer, 27, of Chapmanville, are charged with assault during the commission of a felony and battery.

Danny J. Combs, 20, of Harts, is charged with sexual assault and malicious wounding.

All six remained in custody Tuesday in lieu of $100,000 bail each, and all have asked for court-appointed attorneys.

Original link here: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20726968/

Police are considering hate crime charges? Must be a 'can we make it stick' question.

People are fucked up, people.

Sun Wukong
11th September 07, 06:41 PM
How exactly did she get picked up anyway and how old is she?

The_Tao
11th September 07, 06:42 PM
wow, thats not too far from me, i'm actually converned, i didn't know we had racist around here anymore

Commodore Pipes
11th September 07, 06:55 PM
How exactly did she get picked up anyway and how old is she?

She's 20, according to the story. I guess the police think that she was seduced by the internets, which is scary, because I think this might be the first time the internets was used for evil.

Seriously, I'm totally disturbed whether or not race was the motivation, but if it wasn't, I'm almost more disturbed by that. I don't mean, of course, that race is a valid justification for violence - just that it is one that, frankly, I am used to seeing in human behavior. But what if this is some sort of sociopathy by consensus*? That sort of freaks me out a little bit.

*Although some could say that violent hate organizations like the KKK or Neo-Nazis ARE sociopathy by consensus. Actually, now that I think about it, the idea of sociopathy by consensus isn't that foreign.

nihilist
12th September 07, 12:29 AM
It would have been much better if they called her a Nubian Queen while stabbing raping and beating.

Olorin
12th September 07, 12:40 AM
I saw this on the news today, it realty is something out of The Texas Chainsaw Massacre.

Take a look at these freaks...

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/11/woman.tortured/

Commodore Pipes
12th September 07, 12:45 AM
They're like the most normal-looking ones. Follow the link I posted and you can see all six.

*shudder*

EDIT: Ah, shit, they pulled the picture.

Olorin
12th September 07, 12:49 AM
They're like the most normal-looking ones.

You have to hit the little arrow --->

Commodore Pipes
12th September 07, 12:52 AM
I might not be able to navigate internets, but at least I don't look like those people.

*shudders some more*

edit: Oh, and they are monsters.

Olorin
12th September 07, 12:56 AM
I will post an easy link to the horror.

Link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eBGIQ7ZuuiU)

Commodore Pipes
12th September 07, 12:59 AM
AHHHH! I've been lickloll'd!

nihilist
12th September 07, 12:59 AM
There was really no call for that.

nihilist
12th September 07, 01:01 AM
You know what you look like to me, with your good bag and your cheap shoes? You look like a rube.
A well-scrubbed, hustling rube, with a little taste.
Good nutrition's given you some length of bone, but you're not more than one generation from poor white trash, are you, Agent Starling?
And that accent you've tried so desperately to shed - pure West Virginia. What does your father do? Is he a coal miner? Does he stink of the lamp? You know how quickly the boys found you. All those tedious, sticky fumblings in the back seats of cars, while you could only dream of getting out. Getting anywhere, getting all the way to the F...B...I

Commodore Pipes
12th September 07, 01:03 AM
There was really no call for that.

Yes. Stop the hate crimes.

Sun Wukong
12th September 07, 03:15 AM
well, there's only one thing left for those people. I say put them to the gallows.

jubei33
12th September 07, 03:47 AM
the funny thing in that video is the bar tender nods his head like: "yeah, you got soul," but his face says something else as he makes that cracker another martini.

Cullion
12th September 07, 05:42 AM
I don't get this hate crime thing you have in the US. Is violent rape punished more harshly when you use a racial epithet ?

Sun Wukong
12th September 07, 05:49 AM
hate crime laws are used to make examples out of racially fueled acts of violence/destruction in an effor to put an end to race based domestic terrorism.

Cullion
12th September 07, 05:54 AM
So the strategy is to keep violent rape within one's own ethnic group ?

I can see the logic in that.

Commodore Pipes
12th September 07, 11:01 AM
Well, if the rape was racially motivated, it is a hate crime. Now I might have to recant the thread title, because the more I read the more I suspect that the racial epithets were part of the torture and not necessarily an indication of the motive of the crime.

Neildo
12th September 07, 11:05 AM
well, there's only one thing left for those people. I say put them to the gallows.

Not brutal enough. i say just drop em in genpop and tell everybody exactly what they did.

bushi_no_ki
12th September 07, 02:35 PM
This was clearly a racially motivated crime. All they'd need to prosecute as a hate crime is a clear connection to a racist group.

Cullion, "hate crime" is often used to tie in the leaders of racists groups to the crimes, so as to shut them down. It's a long term strategy for ridding our nation of one of the vilest evils we know.

JimmyTheHutt
12th September 07, 02:57 PM
It's a long term strategy for ridding our nation of one of the vilest evils we know.

Racism is now thought-crime, citizen!

In all seriousness, I understand why we don't want racists. However, this makes having certain thoughts, while committing a crime, illegal. That, frankly, is idiotic.

That being said, these people need a long stay in general population.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

SpringHeeledJack
12th September 07, 03:12 PM
They're not being charged under the federal hate crime statute.

fes_fsa
12th September 07, 06:33 PM
i don't care if this was bias motivated or not. those animals should get the maximum punishment for what they did to that poor girl.

nihilist
12th September 07, 09:20 PM
I think they should have rabid wolverines placed in their underwear.

fes_fsa
12th September 07, 09:56 PM
or give them a rusty barbed wire catheter.

ironlurker
12th September 07, 10:28 PM
I read of this case today as well. Very disturbing.

If anyone is searching for horror/wish-fulfillment/projective fantasy/punishments, here's one I read of a while back

The "Barking Spider" is something reserved for these people. The victim (perhaps you'd want to refer to him as the 'recipient') is tied down, his anus is pulled open & a length of barbed wire is inserted. They close his anus & the wire is quickly pulled out. Some of the more 'heinous' offenders have had this happen to them several times. It must be remembered that 'heinous' to us may be different to prison inmates. Maybe death would be a better fate, I'm not sure. http://www.satanosphere.com/comments/2003/1/13/18174/2445/8#8

My feelings towards "hate crimes" are ambivalent. I disagree about the qualitative value judgement involved in what exactly makes a crime "worse", ie. saying the n-word, but I think it may be a useful way of ensuring appropriate prosecution when the local authorities/establishment can't be trusted

nihilist
13th September 07, 01:28 AM
A rubber hose should be inserted into the urethra and about 300 psi applied till the defendant confesses his guilt or pops, whichever comes first.

Kein Haar
13th September 07, 08:55 AM
I think these people should remain in protective custody in the county jail pending strategic court continuances, and then recieve concurrent sentences with credit for time served.

I'll admit my personal rage and insist they pay for her counseling too!

downinit
13th September 07, 12:46 PM
I think they should have a deathmatch with the pack of nigs who tortured and killed a young white couple a few months ago.

Cullion
13th September 07, 12:49 PM
'nigs' ?

No. Just no.

Sun Wukong
13th September 07, 12:57 PM
and he fucking wonders why nobody likes him.

Anna Kovacs
13th September 07, 02:04 PM
I think these people should remain in protective custody in the county jail pending strategic court continuances, and then recieve concurrent sentences with credit for time served.

I'll admit my personal rage and insist they pay for her counseling too!

But let's not forget that the real victims are the attackers themselves. They've been failed by our great society, why else would they act as so? We must rehabilitate these misguided souls so that they may atone for their wrong doings.

Kein Haar
13th September 07, 02:53 PM
That goes without saying.

Sun Wukong
13th September 07, 02:57 PM
But let's not forget that the real victims are the attackers themselves. They've been failed by our great society, why else would they act as so? We must rehabilitate these misguided souls so that they may atone for their wrong doings.

or we could just hang 'em...

Anna Kovacs
13th September 07, 02:58 PM
Isn't having to live with their mistakes punishment enough?

Sun Wukong
13th September 07, 03:07 PM
Isn't having to live with their mistakes punishment enough?

That's a pretty tough question.

fes_fsa
13th September 07, 03:09 PM

CAN they be rehabilitated?

i mean... this is something you develop a taste for.

this woman probably wasn't their first victim.

Commodore Pipes
13th September 07, 03:14 PM
I think they should have a deathmatch with the pack of nigs who tortured and killed a young white couple a few months ago.

Dude... WTF?

Kein Haar
13th September 07, 03:35 PM
Don't you dare judge his colloquialism. It'd be culturally biased of you.

emboesso
13th September 07, 03:47 PM
wow, thats not too far from me, i'm actually converned, i didn't know we had racist around here anymore

You are aware that West Virginia has continually re-elected a Klansman Kleagle to the US Senate since 1958, aren't you?

While I don't like the term either, I understand his frustration. This story made the national news lickety split. The story he is referencing only made national news insofar stories that asked, "why isn't this story national news?"

If you want to talk about racism, a national media that no longer considers savage murderous behavior like this by black people to even be "news" any longer, is just exhibiting the soft racism of lower expectations.

Commodore Pipes
13th September 07, 03:51 PM
I'm not judging. I'm questioning, in an effort at understanding, which will lead to tolerance. Unfortunately, I haven't yet heard a heartfelt folk song or read a children's book about this srto of thing, so I can't yet determine that I know everything there is to know about this.

Anna Kovacs
13th September 07, 05:37 PM

Probably not.

I change my answer to shoot them and bill their families for the bullet and the executioners wages.

Sun Wukong
13th September 07, 07:05 PM
Probably not.

I change my answer to shoot them and bill their families for the bullet and the executioners wages.
Which brings up a pretty good question: Exactly how much money do they pay the guy who 'drops the hammer' on someone?

That'd be really interesting to find out.

Knave
15th September 07, 04:21 PM
Greetings.

More importantly, where do you even go to apply for a job like that?

I'm asking for a friend.

polishillusion
16th September 07, 04:34 PM
imo, rehabilitating "these people" is something that we do not have the skill to do yet. I wish we did, but we just do not have the technology and trained counselors, psychologists and psychiatrists to pull it off. these people need 2 psychotherapists a day for years before they get back to normal, which isn't happening.

what a shit situation

LI GUY 1
29th September 07, 02:10 AM
Are you guys insane? I still can't believe we can increase a person's penalty under the law because they hate blacks/latin whatever. It's disgusting that punishment for a crime becomes more harsh because of what you believe.

Now most of us aren't racists. However remember people should have the right to believe anything they want regardless of what we think of it.

A crime is a crime. "Hate crime" is bullshit. They can at least charge black/latinos for hate crimes against whites once in a while. Unless of course it is impossible for non whites to be racist??

nihilist
29th September 07, 04:31 AM
If hate crimes are worse then love crimes should be acceptable.

bushi_no_ki
29th September 07, 04:51 AM
A crime of passion (love crime) is something that happens in the heat of the moment. A hate crime is the result of dedicated bigotry that is ingrained in your personality. It might be reparable, but takes some effort.

nihilist
29th September 07, 05:01 AM
No I mean where I love a girl but want to kill her and put her in a freezer so I can cherish her body forever.

emboesso
29th September 07, 06:24 AM
Are you guys insane? I still can't believe we can increase a person's penalty under the law because they hate blacks/latin whatever. It's disgusting that punishment for a crime becomes more harsh because of what you believe.

Now most of us aren't racists. However remember people should have the right to believe anything they want regardless of what we think of it.

A crime is a crime. "Hate crime" is bullshit. They can at least charge black/latinos for hate crimes against whites once in a while. Unless of course it is impossible for non whites to be racist??

It is impossible, at least according to Yale Professor Cornel West.

You're right of course in worrying about "thought crime" prosecutions.

The disparity in racial applications of the law also appear to be a built-in intent. The US Dept of Justice's own website used to have a comment on it that the most likely "hate crime" perpetrators are "white teenaged males."

Racial profiling anyone?

The disparity in applications to perpetrators also creates a disparity in protection given to victims of crimes.

Here in NYC, there's a horrible problem of young teenaged African American kids calling for Chinese food delivery and robbing the deliverymen. Several of them have been killed. Many just write off the robberies because they are immigrants, probably illegal, and probably speak very sketchy English. These poor guys work like 16 hours a day riding around on bicycles making deliveries, and now punks are targeting them.

A recent case in Queens, two punks "needed" new sneakers. They called up for Chinese delivery, killed-robbed the guy, dumped his body in a lake, then bought themselves new sneakers.

The problem has been going on for years. The victims are being selected based on their race. Not a single hate crime prosecution has been filed. Probably because asian-Americans do not take to the streets en-masse screaming "No justice, no peace!"

Its a lousy law, but if you're gonna have it at all, at least apply with a degree of equality.

Zendetta
29th September 07, 12:32 PM
Come down off of your Ivory SoapBox. I think "HateCrime" is alot like "ThoughtCrime" ala 1984 too, but non-whites are also getting prosecuted for such:

In thiscase, Latino thugs targeting blacks.

http://card.wordpress.com/2006/08/03/hispanic-gang-members-guilty-of-hate-crime-against-blacks/

emboesso
29th September 07, 02:20 PM
Come down off of your Ivory SoapBox. I think "HateCrime" is alot like "ThoughtCrime" ala 1984 too, but non-whites are also getting prosecuted for such:

In thiscase, Latino thugs targeting blacks.

http://card.wordpress.com/2006/08/03/hispanic-gang-members-guilty-of-hate-crime-against-blacks/

Without reading the story, I can see it does not address the entire nature of my concerns. You will note I mentioned unequal application to perpetors and victims.

Cullion
29th September 07, 02:27 PM
No I mean where I love a girl but want to kill her and put her in a freezer so I can cherish her body forever.

The site won't let me rep you for that right now, so I'm going to put up a wallchart and put a gold star on it.

LI GUY 1
29th September 07, 08:08 PM
So a latino s charged hate crime against a black? Great, now I want to see blacks charged with hate crimes. Hell I want to see anyone charged in a hate crime against a white. It's horrible that in order to appease others, as if I personally enslaved blacks, makes whites 2nd class citizens in some ways.

And anyone who would stand up on a soapbox about it gets ridiculed and called a racist.

Shawarma
29th September 07, 08:09 PM
Fuck you, racist!

The entire concept of hate crime is pretty funny. If I assault you, it's most likely not because I LOVE you.

Anna Kovacs
29th September 07, 08:13 PM
There are very real disparities in the justice system on both sides. No, blacks dont get charged with hate crimes.

But an offense that a white boy will walk out of court with some community service for has been known to put blacks behind bars.

Extreme examples are people like Tyrone brown, young kid sentenced to life for failing a drug test on probation after smoking a joint.

Served 17 years of it before finally walking out.

Where's the justice in that?

Anna Kovacs
29th September 07, 08:16 PM
http://www.shortnews.com/start.cfm?id=61156

Murderer Gets Freedom, Robber Gets Life

Tyrone Brown and John Alexander Wood are both two convicted criminals who faced sentencing in Judge Keith Dean's court [SN reported], but have faced much different treatment for the crimes they have committed.

Brown was arrested for a $2 armed robbery and given 10 years probation. He violated that probation by smoking marijuana. In response, he was sentenced to life in prison. He has since attempted suicide several times.

Wood, by contrast, shot and killed a prostitute and was also given 10 years probation. He violated that probation by smoking crack and being in possession of cocaine while driving a congressman's car. He is still a free man to this day.

Edit: to point out the given that John Wood is white.

LI GUY 1
29th September 07, 09:10 PM
OK that is horrible but that dosen't make it OK to charge people with hate crimes.

ironlurker
29th September 07, 09:15 PM
I wonder who the congressman was and why he was driving the congressman's car. I think the answers to that might be interesting in terms of the results of the case.

nihilist
29th September 07, 09:23 PM
If a white person hurts a black person it is because of racial hatred.

If a black person hurts a white person it is because they are oppressed by racial hatred.

Hope that clears things up.

fes_fsa
29th September 07, 10:01 PM
There are very real disparities in the justice system on both sides. No, blacks dont get charged with hate crimes.

not true. just last year, 8 black teenagers were charged with hate crime allegations filed against them when they beat up 3 white girls on Halloween night last year.

fes_fsa
29th September 07, 10:02 PM
I wonder who the congressman was and why he was driving the congressman's car. I think the answers to that might be interesting in terms of the results of the case.

i'm wondering the same thing.

if he worked for his local representative, it wouldn't be hard to ask for a favor.

nihilist
29th September 07, 10:57 PM
not true. just last year, 8 black teenagers were charged with hate crime allegations filed against them when they beat up 3 white girls on Halloween night last year.

Were the little crackers dressed like Klan?

fes_fsa
29th September 07, 11:13 PM
Were the little crackers dressed like Klan?

there were videos and articles everywhere from November til maybe February. now... most of the sites with info on it is on blog sites--the articles/videos have long since been taken down. thank goodness for youtube.

here's a video from the victims.
wXU-4ZPhipA
they were probably just stuck up--still not a reason to beat them up.

yVZs5c6Q7ys
nt62gYjX1ME

nihilist
30th September 07, 12:57 AM
Imagine the riots that would ensue if the races were reversed.

billy sol hurok
30th September 07, 05:37 PM
But sirs, misses, I see that it's wrong. It's wrong because it's like, against society. It's wrong because everybody has the right to live and be happy without being tolchoked and knived. (http://cured.ytmnd.com/)