PDA

View Full Version : SCHOOL 1977 vs. SCHOOL 2007

Neildo
6th September 07, 01:50 PM
One of my co-workers posted this on their facebook and it made me laugh pretty hard (at the sad truth) so I thought I'd share with you guys. Enjoy.

SCHOOL 1977 vs. SCHOOL 2007

Scenario: Jack goes quail hunting before school, pulls into school parking lot with shotgun in gun rack.
1977 - Vice principal comes over, looks at Jack's shotgun, goes to his car and gets his own shotgun to show Jack.
2007 - School goes into lockdown, the RCMP are called, Jack is hauled off to jail and never sees his truck or gun again. Counselors are called in to assist traumatized students and teachers.

Scenario: Johnny and Mark get into a fistfight after school.
1977 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2007 - Police are called, SWAT team arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. They are charged with assault and both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.
1977 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given a good paddling. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra provincial funding because Jeffrey has a disability.

Scenario: Billy breaks a window in his neighbour's car and his Dad gives him a whipping with his belt.
1977 - Billy is more careful next time, grows up normal, goes to college, and becomes a successful businessman.
2007 - Billy's dad is arrested for child abuse. Billy is removed to foster care and joins a gang. State psychologist tells Billy's sister that she remembers being whipped with the belt herself and their dad goes to prison. Billy's mom has an affair with the psychologist.

Scenario: Mark gets a headache and takes some Aspirin to school.
1977 - Mark shares Aspirin with the school principal out on the smoking dock.
2007 - Police are called and Mark is expelled from school for drug violations. His car is searched for drugs and weapons.

Scenario: Pedro fails high-school English.
1977 - Pedro goes to summer school, passes English, goes to college.
2007 - Pedro's cause is taken up by local human rights group. Newspaper articles appear nationally explaining that making English a requirement for graduation is racist. Canadian Civil Liberties Association files class action lawsuit against provincial school system and Pedro's English teacher. English is banned from core curriculum. Pedro is given his diploma anyway but ends up mowing lawns for a living because he cannot speak English.

Scenario: Johnny takes apart leftover Canada Day firecrackers, puts them in a model airplane paint bottle and blows up an anthill.
1977 - Ants die.
2007 - Canadian Firearms Centre and the RCMP are called and Johnny is charged with domestic terrorism. CSIS investigates parents, siblings are removed from the home, computers are confiscated, and Johnny's dad goes on a terror watch list and is never allowed to fly again.

Scenario: Johnny falls during recess and scrapes his knee. His teacher, Mary, finds him crying, and gives him a hug to comfort him.
1977 - Johnny soon feels better and goes back to playing.
2007 - Mary is accused of being a sexual predator and loses her job. She faces three years in federal prison. Johnny undergoes five years of therapy.

Commodore Pipes
6th September 07, 02:03 PM
Ha! Your nation is fucked up.

Kiko
6th September 07, 02:09 PM
Ants die.... Yep '77 was a rough year!

king of seals
6th September 07, 02:34 PM
1977 - Crowd gathers. Mark wins. Johnny and Mark shake hands and end up buddies.
2007 - Police are called, SWAT team arrives and arrests Johnny and Mark. They are charged with assault and both are expelled even though Johnny started it.

There cannot be justice if you cannot defend yourself.

Scenario: Jeffrey won't sit still in class, disrupts other students.
1977 - Jeffrey is sent to the principal's office and given a good paddling. Returns to class, sits still and does not disrupt class again.
2007 - Jeffrey is given huge doses of Ritalin. Becomes a zombie. Tested for ADD. School gets extra provincial funding because Jeffrey has a disability.

Too bad they don't do it in the schools here.

Sun Wukong
6th September 07, 03:06 PM
Ha! Your nation is fucked up.

Oh the irony... it's delicious.

Truculent Sheep
6th September 07, 03:07 PM
There's a bit of pro-child battering in that "then 'n now" list... Strange how the writer can't see the irony of rejecting state sadism on one hand but advocating sadism on a personal level instead

king of seals
6th September 07, 03:09 PM
There's a bit of pro-child battering in that "then 'n now" list... Strange how the writer can't see the irony of rejecting state sadism on one hand but advocating sadism on a personal level instead

I see no sadism here:

WarPhalange
6th September 07, 03:35 PM
Oh the irony... it's delicious.

It's all that white flour we use.

kwoww
6th September 07, 03:51 PM

Corporal punishment is hardly sadism.

BTW that list was hilarious and totally true. It's just as bad, if not worse, in parts of the U.S., too.

WarPhalange
6th September 07, 03:54 PM
Depends on how corporal you get.

Neildo
6th September 07, 04:42 PM
Something tells me TS never got that smack upside the head his dad SHOULD have dispensed. tsk tsk.

bob
6th September 07, 04:52 PM
Just out of curiousity: hands up here who got the cane (or similar) at school?

I did, at primary school (across the hand) and high school (across the arse). I'm not sure whether it did me any good but the general consensus is that it was preferable to detention because it was over and done with.

Truculent Sheep
6th September 07, 04:54 PM
Something tells me TS never got that smack upside the head his dad SHOULD have dispensed. tsk tsk.

Quite the opposite - my biggest regret was not punching HIM in the face once or twice. True, the social workers might have taken him into care afterwards. But if the face-punching is applied in a loving manner, it can mould the 40-something into a more socially acceptable being, and the rise in mid-life crises, middle aged delinquency and thuggish behaviour in the under-60s can be directly attributed to the decline in paternal battery over the last few decades.

I see no sadism here:

Indeed, 'cos the 1977 example was as pragmatic as life ought to be.

Corporal punishment is hardly sadism.

Well, let's paddle you a few times and see how you feel...

(Don't get an erection. That would be just weird.)

Neildo
6th September 07, 05:13 PM
Indeed, 'cos the 1977 example was as pragmatic as life ought to be.

Exactly! Back in the good ol days when smoking, drinking, and beating your kids was socially acceptable!

Now none of those things are, and you got happy-slapping chavs running around. change for the better?

emboesso
6th September 07, 05:22 PM
Neildo, tell your co-worker it is brilliant!

Not as good, but run this one by him:

Scenario: Billy has been dating Jenny and Marie simultaneously, unbeknownst to the two girls.
1977 - Both girls commiserate together, confront Billy in front of his locker and throw a few choice words at him in a scene for all to see and hear. They storm off leaving Billy both alone and with slimmer prospects among the school's other girls.
2007 - Jenny calls Marie a "skanky ass 'ho", Marie grabs a fistful of Jenny's hair, both collapse into a heap of scratching, screeching, and torn clothes, with bits of their undergarments being exposed to bystanders, and eventually the entire YouTube nation. Billy watches with a dopey smirk on his face.

Truculent Sheep
6th September 07, 05:24 PM
Exactly! Back in the good ol days when smoking, drinking, and beating your kids was socially acceptable!

Now none of those things are, and you got happy-slapping chavs running around. change for the better?

There's also plenty of kids who aren't hit with belts and grow up perfectly well. The problem is not a lack of severity, but rather a lack of any censure at all. Poor policing and a ridiculous criminalising of self-defence don't help either.

DAYoung
6th September 07, 06:38 PM
Just out of curiousity: hands up here who got the cane (or similar) at school?

I did, at primary school (across the hand) and high school (across the arse). I'm not sure whether it did me any good but the general consensus is that it was preferable to detention because it was over and done with.

I had the ruler broken on my knuckles.

WIN FOR ME.

SpringHeeledJack
6th September 07, 07:00 PM
Yeah, I was beaten repeatedly by my teachers, sometimes with rulers, sometimes with big wooden paddles. My music teacher used to lock me in a pitch black closet for hours. I don't know what any of this means, but somebody asked.

Riddeck
7th September 07, 02:14 AM
Quite the opposite - my biggest regret was not punching HIM in the face once or twice. True, the social workers might have taken him into care afterwards. But if the face-punching is applied in a loving manner, it can mould the 40-something into a more socially acceptable being, and the rise in mid-life crises, middle aged delinquency and thuggish behaviour in the under-60s can be directly attributed to the decline in paternal battery over the last few decades.

Clearly you are bred from a hearty stock!

Sun Wukong
7th September 07, 05:25 AM
I had the ruler broken on my knuckles.

WIN FOR ME.

catholic school?

DAYoung
7th September 07, 05:31 AM
catholic school?

Nope. Garden variety state primary school.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th September 07, 05:48 AM
I broke the ruler over DAYoung's knuckles.

DAYoung
7th September 07, 05:50 AM
You can say 'penis'. It's OK.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th September 07, 05:51 AM
what was my penis doing in your hand?

Sun Wukong
7th September 07, 06:07 AM
Does this discussion remind anyone of a Reese's Peanut Butter cup commercial from the 80's?

"What the? You put your penis in my hand! No way, you put you hand on my penis!"

Just replace penis with chocolate and hand with peanut butter. You filthy bastards.

Kein Haar
7th September 07, 09:37 AM
Back when peanut butter didn't send half the class into anaphylactic fits.

Yiktin Voxbane
7th September 07, 11:35 AM
Heh all through my schooling they kew if given the option i'd take the *beating* although, in Primary school (Years 1-7 of school) we had a Vicious Sadist for a deputy head . He'd have the pupil hold his/her hand vertically inclined rather than horizontally then give several rapid short swipes . Was even known to use Vinegar on the cane first, was eventually forced to retire after royally fucking one stundents hand up .

For the record, only break I caused was Mr. Walshs' brass ended yard stick, hit me so hard the broken bit flew into an overhead fan ...... freak .... used to smoke chalk like it was a joint .... in front of 10-13 year olds.

polishillusion
7th September 07, 01:07 PM
I have always found the logic in Parent Teachers Conferences astounding, like -

Teacher -'Your son did this, this, and that in my class room."

and the parent-

"How dare you! My child is an angel, they never would do that! I am going to sue your ass"

"even though we have tapes and records of several teachers seeing your son being bad"

"Its ALL LIES! How could you say that about MY SON!"

DAYoung
7th September 07, 04:09 PM
what was my penis doing in your hand?

You have a penis?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th September 07, 06:37 PM
not just one

WarPhalange
7th September 07, 08:17 PM
He meant attached to you, not in your mouth.

Sun Wukong
7th September 07, 08:18 PM
why all the sexual harrassment?

DAYoung
8th September 07, 04:35 AM
not just one

If you mean you're surrounded by dicks, I agree.

nihilist
10th September 07, 03:09 AM
1974:
Reese goes up tp the girl with the biggest breasts in Jr High and gives them the Mr. Whipple squeeze test.
Reese gets slapped, called an asshole and spends the rest of the year re-living the experience in his warped little mind.

2007: Reese wishes he could be 12 years old again.

Sun Wukong
10th September 07, 03:11 AM
don't we all.