PDA

View Full Version : ATTN: Musicians

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd September 07, 07:34 PM
The Lester S. Levy Collection of Sheet Music (http://levysheetmusic.mse.jhu.edu/)

You're welcome.

Zub-Zub
3rd September 07, 10:14 PM
An excellent find. I don't see myself using any of it, but it's a great chunk of music history.

Mr_Mantis
3rd September 07, 10:26 PM
Very cool.

WarPhalange
4th September 07, 12:24 AM
I see a lot of it is piano music. That's beyond my grasp. All I can handle is either bass or treble clef, not both at once.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th September 07, 12:35 AM
It's not like you have to play both at once. Bass clef on your bass, and the vocal line on your guitar. If you want to play the rhythm part you can use the treble clef or make up a chord progression.

WarPhalange
4th September 07, 12:54 AM
It sounds like shit when you play it one at a time.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
4th September 07, 01:00 AM
Buy a tape recorder.

Harpy
4th September 07, 02:25 AM
Nice.

WarPhalange
4th September 07, 02:34 PM
Actually I can hook up my bass/guitar to my computer and record like that. But come on, I am way too lazy to do that.

Mr_Mantis
5th September 07, 09:44 AM
If you want to play the rhythm part you can use the treble clef or make up a chord progression.You can't make a chord progression without changing the song. You can do whatever you want within the chord progression and make it work. You may be able to play with 7th's and relative minor and such though.

If you know what the chord progression is, you really don't need notes. Unless you're some sort of namby pamby classical artist who couldn't improv his way around mary had a little lamb.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
5th September 07, 05:23 PM
Nah, the only thing that makes a song a song is its recognizable melody. Everything else is open to interpretation. If I took just the melody from Sweet Georgia Brown but used a new chord progression and filled it with improv it wouldn't be a new song. It might be great or it might sound like crap, but it wouldn't cease being Sweet Georgia Brown.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
5th September 07, 11:32 PM
HEY

HEY LOOK

I UPDATED THAT THREAD ON BULLSHIDO. THE ONE WITH FREE MUSIC

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=57147&page=6

Sun Wukong
6th September 07, 01:43 AM
I'm getting a very eerie feeling about MJS right now...

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th September 07, 01:54 AM
for those of you who don't have it here's a program called Transcribe! that lets you slow down music without changing the pitch. It also attempts to suggest notes and chords but seems to get them wrong more often than not.

http://www.seventhstring.com/

it's shareware

DAYoung
6th September 07, 02:38 AM
LInky no worky.

Wah.

Mr_Mantis
6th September 07, 08:59 AM
Nah, the only thing that makes a song a song is its recognizable melody. Everything else is open to interpretation. If I took just the melody from Sweet Georgia Brown but used a new chord progression and filled it with improv it wouldn't be a new song. It might be great or it might sound like crap, but it wouldn't cease being Sweet Georgia Brown.
Isn't the melody within the chord progression? I figure that the accent notes in the chord is the melody. Plus, knowing the chord progression gives you the freedom of playing within it. Which is what I am talking about. Figuring out how to play a song without sheet music or tabulature. I think you are right, the melody makes the song. But I think knowing the chord progression will give you control over that song, to make it your own.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
6th September 07, 05:09 PM
but you can change the chord progression without changing the melody. The only thing that would change would be the notes you use to solo over the chord, if you're the type who likes to solo by chord.

Neildo
6th September 07, 05:15 PM
I wanna see an MJS/Mr Mantis jam session.

Mr_Mantis
7th September 07, 10:32 AM
but you can change the chord progression without changing the melody. The only thing that would change would be the notes you use to solo over the chord, if you're the type who likes to solo by chord.
But will it? I think you could totally go outside the melody for short bits of time and still get away with it as long as you play the melody first. The listener will pick up on the melody and then listen for it.

But I think I see what you are saying (would be easier to hear it). You can change the chord progression without changing the melody so long as you stay in time for the sake of the melody.

As an example of changing melody and chord progression, I look to Jimi Hendrix's star spangled banner as an example. The listener know's it's the star spangled banner. He sticks to the melody and chord progression enough for that to happen, then he makes the song his own.

Are we on the same page?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
7th September 07, 05:06 PM
yes

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
16th September 07, 02:37 AM
http://www.all-guitar-chords.com/index.php

Forgot about this because I never (ever) use it, but it's cool when you're hit with some backwards ass chords with unfamiliar shapes.

Scale finder too.

nihilist
17th September 07, 11:32 AM
Nah, the only thing that makes a song a song is its recognizable melody.

Wrong.

nihilist
17th September 07, 09:00 PM
Can you give me the lead vocal melody of the song "Numb" by U2?

What makes it recognizable?

Certainly not the melody since it is one note.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
17th September 07, 11:23 PM
yeah but U2 isn't music

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
17th September 07, 11:38 PM
I think some pieces can be considered to be more of a function of their chord progression than others.

nihilist
18th September 07, 12:28 AM
It could be sung acapella and it still would be the same song.

What makes it distinctive is the rythm that the lyrics are sung.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
18th September 07, 12:31 AM
Oh; I thought you were coming from a different angle.

Rhythm is the first step to making something sound good and that's why white people are so tragically uncool.

nihilist
18th September 07, 01:11 AM
Yes, although I've seen some amazing jazz singers that disregard time signatures and end up sounding great.

nihilist
18th September 07, 01:14 AM
The less melody and/or rythm, the less rcognizable a song is.

But file that under "Duh"

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
18th September 07, 01:29 AM
Yes, although I've seen some amazing jazz singers that disregard time signatures and end up sounding great.

Like?

For the all the shit artsy types give danceable music for being shallow, it's usually the most listenable. I don't care what anyone says, I love "The Sheik of Araby".

nihilist
18th September 07, 02:25 AM
There are more than a couple of singers whose names you've never heard of that can be extremely musical while being practically rhythmless, but IMO is does not compare to something with a groove.

I'll see if I can dig something up for you to listen to...

Mr_Mantis
18th September 07, 09:34 AM
The voice is just another instrument in the ensemble. Not all songs have lyrics, yet they are still recognizable. Rhythm alone can not pull the song up to recognizability. I still think it is the melody of the whole that makes a song a song. They are the accents within the whole. The lyrics and melody usually follow the same path, but not necessarily. You can have the same rhythm in all your songs, but they will all sound different with different melody.

The melody follows the chord progression, it's going to be found within it. In figuring out a song, the first step is identifying the chord progression, then realizing the melody. Follow the chord progression, play the melody and work in everything else to your own style. Or you could just read music and leave your own creative hand out of the process.

Hell, I think you can even change the rhythm and people will still be able to hear the song so long as you play the melody and follow the chord progression most of the time, or at least in the beginning, as I mentioned earlier.

Riddeck
18th September 07, 11:16 AM
The voice is just another instrument in the ensemble. Not all songs have lyrics, yet they are still recognizable. Rhythm alone can not pull the song up to recognizability. I still think it is the melody of the whole that makes a song a song. They are the accents within the whole. The lyrics and melody usually follow the same path, but not necessarily. You can have the same rhythm in all your songs, but they will all sound different with different melody.

The melody follows the chord progression, it's going to be found within it. In figuring out a song, the first step is identifying the chord progression, then realizing the melody. Follow the chord progression, play the melody and work in everything else to your own style. Or you could just read music and leave your own creative hand out of the process.

Hell, I think you can even change the rhythm and people will still be able to hear the song so long as you play the melody and follow the chord progression most of the time, or at least in the beginning, as I mentioned earlier.

Then again, you can give 10 people the same chord progression and rhythm, and end up with 10 different melodies for said music.

Mr_Mantis
18th September 07, 11:57 AM
That's the beauty of music and the importance of melody.

nihilist
18th September 07, 11:57 AM

This is true in most cases, but not all.

one note repeated acapella is a song. not a melodic song, but a song nonetheless. it would then be a function of the rhythm and/or the lyrics to give the song recognizability.

Mr_Mantis
18th September 07, 12:20 PM
I see. So people would recognize the song and say: "Hey, I recognize that crappy acapella song that has no melody!"

"Oh yeah? Who does it?"

"Can't you tell? It's M.C. Stephen "Flyguy" Hawking belting out those beats"

nihilist
18th September 07, 12:35 PM
It is still music, hater.

Mr_Mantis
18th September 07, 12:57 PM
I fully admit, I hate "weak" music.

nihilist
18th September 07, 01:08 PM
I fully agree with you.

Mr_Mantis
18th September 07, 01:48 PM
You have any new projects going man?

I'm heading out to see the Dropkick Murphys tonight. Not used to paying so much $$ ($22) to see a show. But it is 3 bands and I guess they're popular these days.

nihilist
18th September 07, 01:52 PM
No I sold all my gear and am living the family life with a former punk rrock basist chick.

I guess I suck.

DM is a show I would go see in NY minute though...

Mr_Mantis
18th September 07, 02:09 PM
Kids huh? Damn...

I took off like 10-12 years, still didn't sell my rig though. Hell I bought my cabinet used, so it's worth more to keep than to try and sell. I can pump a stereo through it too. I guess drums would just be in the way though.

But with 2 musicians in the family, might consider putting something together, for fun.

Yeah, I'm pretty exited about the DM tonight. Plus, you never know, I'm still looking for a couple musicians to help me out, maybe I'll get a lead. (yeah right! ha!)

Mr_Mantis
19th September 07, 02:43 PM
Update: The Dropkick Murphys were fucking awesome. I had a great time listening to the music, drinking Guinness and watching the youngins skank up the circle pit.

Also, the new album (The Meanest of Times) gets my seal of approval. The thing has guts, grit, adrenaline and a little tradition to boot.

Dropkick Murphys are not to be missed. Also, I expected to see a lot more skins than I did. All positive vibes, all night.

nihilist
19th September 07, 11:05 PM
I was going to ask how it went...
makes me reminiscent...

Have you ever seen The Real McKenzies?

we played a show with them once here in PDX and they were amazing.

Great bunch of guys too. backstage the bagpipe player was playing Long Way To The Top by AC/DC.
That guy can play the shit out of those...

Mr_Mantis
19th September 07, 11:40 PM
No I haven't. I'll have to check them out.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th October 07, 02:24 AM
Collection of backing tracks for Django tunes (http://nuagesdeswing.free.fr/jouer/jouer_index.html).

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
20th October 07, 02:26 AM
P.S. I think the tracks follow whatever key The Quintet played it in so if you can't figure out the key or just want to jam immediately check out Djangopedia (http://djangopedia.com/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page); basically a wiki fakebook for Quintet pieces.