PDA

View Full Version : Bioshock Review

Mas
28th August 07, 11:45 PM
If you have ever played a computer game and "thought it was pretty fun" get Bioshock.

Atmosphere, gameplay, difficulty, and pace are all right on and top notch. Setting is reminiscent of Fallout except in an underwater Utopia gone awry.

Do yourself a favor and get this game.

mrblackmagic
29th August 07, 12:00 PM
Well,um....So what was the atomsphere like, what was the game play like, how hard was it, how is the pace, in what ways is the game reminiscent of fallout; how are these things "all right and top notch?"

Mas
29th August 07, 12:35 PM
Ah well, I'll further get into it, I didn't want to make the review long-winded like I usually do.

Atmosphere in Bioshock is like post World War II Leave it to Beaver in an underwater dystopia. Essentially what was the concept of this underwater city/country was to get away from major governments and religious institutions to free artists, scientists, and free thinkers from having their research or art or whatever from being censored. Unfortunately something very wrong goes on in Rapture (the name of the city) and this ideal concept falls to ruin.
The primary antagonist throughout much of the game is the man who built Rapture, and he is realistically crazy and long-winded.

You start out in a plane that quickly goes down somewhere over the ocean. You are the lone survivor of the flight and have to make your way to Rapture to survive.

The style in Rapture is Art Deco reminscent of the 30's, and it seems like every single hallway is original and fresh, which is a major divergence from a lot of FPS games recently. Atmospherically the game has a dark feel, and it almost seems like water is reclaiming every part of the city making it accordingly quite murky.

Gameplay is very heavy on gunplay, and you have your standard assortment of weapons. Pistol, machine gun, rocket launcher etc. One of the cool things about bioshock is that every weapon has an alternate ammo type. Ap rounds for the pistol heat seeking rpgs for the rocket launcher etc.

Where the game really shines though is in the plasmid powers. Essentially plasmids are like force powers. Force lightning, telekinesis etc. however they are essentially bought with genetic material called ADAM. You rewrite your DNA with ADAM and get to use the environment to defeat your enemies. Are three guys standing in a pool of water? Don't waste ammo on them all, zap the water and kill all three. You get the picture.

You get ADAM in one way, little sisters. Little sisters are these evil looking genetically altered little girls who go around extracting ADAM from dead bodies. You have two choices, you can either save the little sister, removing the genetically altering parasite from their body and get a little ADAM, or you can harvest the girl getting a lot of ADAM but killing her in the process. It won't be easy as they have huge bodyguards called Big Daddies who are when you first meet them, terrifying to behold.

Though you will die a few times throughout the game, you will just be respawned at a checkpoint. It definately speeds the game along, but at a cost of difficulty.

There never seems to be enough ammo in this game, and it really forces you to be creative with your plasmids and your ammunition. You've got to be cost effective and get the maximum bang for your buck, upping the difficulty factor substantially.

This game reminded me of Fallout by the homage to the PSAs of the 1950's, and how the SPECIAL system in Fallout is to some degree streamlined in Bioshock. Not only can you get combat plasmids, but you can also alter your characters safe cracking ability, his security skill, and his medical skill, to some degree like in Fallout. It is a surprisingly deep system.

Oh, and it has multiple endings depending on how good or evil you are.

Again to summarize, if you don't have this game, get it. Do yourself a favor.

Robot Jesus
29th August 07, 02:18 PM
and no mention of Rand? im disapointed in you

Sun Wukong
29th August 07, 05:15 PM
. One of the cool things about bioshock is that every weapon has an alternate ammo type.

Correction: every weapon has TWO alternate ammo types.

Though you will die a few times throughout the game, you will just be respawned at a checkpoint. It definately speeds the game along, but at a cost of difficulty.

Clarification: You don't respawn at check points. You respawn at the exact moment of your death to the nearest respawning area or "Vita-Chamber." There aren't really any checkpoints in the game.

There never seems to be enough ammo in this game, and it really forces you to be creative with your plasmids and your ammunition. You've got to be cost effective and get the maximum bang for your buck, upping the difficulty factor substantially.

I have to disagree with you flatly here. I had abundant levels of ammunition except for about halfway through the first chapter. If you use your tonics in just the right way, the only thing you really need ammo for is Big Daddies and when surrounded by multiple gun wielding opponents who were attacking from different directions simultaneously.

As soon as you get the defensive shock tonic, and a sports boost tonic you become a smashing machine. If you load up both the Electric Eel lightening booster tonics, both defensive shock tonics, both sports boosts, and both wrench jockey tonics melee really is the most effective weapon against most foes.

Also, all you need is 100 electro-gel, the lvl one lightening booster and the chemical launcher after that point to take down a big daddy. Use the lvl 2 defensive shock tonic and Big Daddies instantly become your bitch.

Oh, and it has multiple endings depending on how good or evil you are.

Shit, I guess I got the ultra good guy, I'm a super hero and everybody loves me ending where I died of old age in a nursing home surrounded by freed little sisters. What are the other endings?

Oh yeah, and this game TOTALLY ROCKS! BEST. GAME. EVAR!

Mas
30th August 07, 01:06 AM
Clarification: You don't respawn at check points. You respawn at the exact moment of your death to the nearest respawning area or "Vita-Chamber." There aren't really any checkpoints in the game.

Oh semantics! I was on my way out!

I have to disagree with you flatly here. I had abundant levels of ammunition except for about halfway through the first chapter. If you use your tonics in just the right way, the only thing you really need ammo for is Big Daddies and when surrounded by multiple gun wielding opponents who were attacking from different directions simultaneously.
So like throughout the game?

I didn't think about melee skill stacks though, well done

Shit, I guess I got the ultra good guy, I'm a super hero and everybody loves me ending where I died of old age in a nursing home surrounded by freed little sisters. What are the other endings?

Me too! Puppies and hugs for everyone!

Oh yeah, and this game TOTALLY ROCKS! BEST. GAME. EVAR!

Truf.

mrblackmagic
30th August 07, 02:15 AM
I must be a scumbag because I harvested the shit out of 12 of them and one day I'll take over the world. I am Jack's repressed wraith.

Who is Atlas?

And thanks, Ketchens, for the good combinations.

Steve
30th August 07, 01:42 PM
I just played the demo last night, pretty cool.

May have to pick it up next month... Might help me break my horrible Guitar Hero II habit.

Sun Wukong
31st August 07, 03:17 AM
Who is Atlas?

That's a pretty big spoiler, I don't want to ruin the surprise.

mrblackmagic
31st August 07, 11:16 AM
I know already. I mentioned it because it was written the walls as props to an Ayn Rand.

Sun Wukong
31st August 07, 04:49 PM
ok then... The best thing about this game to me is that I get to kill that Ayn Rand spouting ass.

God I fucking hate Rand.

mrblackmagic
1st September 07, 12:53 PM
I liked her essays.

Mas
1st September 07, 07:23 PM
Me too.

king of seals
2nd September 07, 11:00 AM
Is Bioshock a short game?

Mas
2nd September 07, 10:06 PM
It's relatively long actually at approximately 20 hours for one go around, keep in mind it also has two endings.

Neildo
3rd September 07, 10:52 AM
I'm seriously considering buying this even though I don't have a 360.
I'll leave it at my friends place who does have one, until i get my own.

Should I do it?

EuropIan
3rd September 07, 10:57 AM
I'm seriously considering buying this even though I don't have a 360.
I'll leave it at my friends place who does have one, until i get my own.

Should I do it?
If you have a relatively high end PC you could get it for that instead.

Truculent Sheep
4th September 07, 07:51 PM
If you have a relatively high end PC you could get it for that instead.

Be warned, however: Vista is a crappy system and my brother has had all sorts of merry hell trying to get the game to run on it...

Mas
4th September 07, 08:22 PM
It runs fine on XP, at least for me. You won't get the sweet shaders etc. but hey, how much do graphics matter anyways?

mrblackmagic
5th September 07, 01:53 AM
Should I do it?

It's like the Alex Proyas' movie that never was.

Sun Wukong
5th September 07, 02:01 AM
I second that, vista sucks the power right out of a system.

Gezere
5th September 07, 10:06 AM
Bioshock, KICKASS!!!!

That is all.

Lu Tze
5th September 07, 02:14 PM
System Shock 2 is my all time favourite game, and this sounds like more of the same so I'll probably love this too.

I do hope this game does well regardless, Irrational don't get nearly enough recognition to say they produced one of the best games that's ever been made.

king of seals
6th September 07, 09:45 AM
http://content.ytmnd.com/content/b/d/1/bd1bd53233b40a58be8cbb78dc3ef741.jpg

Ok, I'm going to play it on the 360...

Lu Tze
19th September 07, 08:38 AM
Just finished it. On hard. Without dying (the vita chambers are a pretty lame idea).

Not scary in the way SS2 was, in fact the splicers aren't fear inducing at all, they're fucking hilarious. I had to pause the first time I heard one yell "GET THE FUCK OUT OF MY OFFICE!" because I had a giggling fit. Still an awesome game though.

"The nurse doesn't like you, but I do!" hahaha. 10/10

Neildo
27th October 07, 10:28 AM
My friend got it, so i've been playing at his place all day while he's at work. Just got to Arcadia.

i'd have to say it's get pretty standard gameplay. except the plasmoids things which is pretty sweet. the telekinetic ability reminds me of the gravity gun from half-life2.

EuropIan
27th October 07, 05:04 PM
Finished it last week.

This is a great corridor shooter.

Very satisfying.

Zendetta
30th October 07, 07:34 PM
Just got it last night.

DAMN. I wanna get stoned and stare out the windows at the fish.

Doritosaurus Chex
30th October 07, 10:24 PM
Just got it last night.

DAMN. I wanna get stoned and stare out the windows at the fish.

Would you kindly put down that reefer and get away from that window?

Neildo
31st October 07, 02:58 AM
i like smoking and drinking in the game. there have been areas where i've fought splicers while completely wasted. ah, good times.

Doritosaurus Chex
31st October 07, 06:52 AM
Either that went way over your head or you haven't gotten to the part yet.

Neildo
31st October 07, 08:58 AM
no, i wish i was playing it right now but unfortunately its at my friends place across town. i need to get my own copy.

EuropIan
31st October 07, 01:01 PM
Now would you kindly go across town to your friends house and finish the damn game.

Also, did you guys save or harvest the little sisters?

I saved them. Control Big Daddy 2 is for epic lulz

Question!
31st October 07, 03:41 PM
Does this image remind anyone of something else?

http://www.2kgames.com/cultofrapture/features/coverfinalists/10.jpg

Gezere
31st October 07, 04:11 PM
Now would you kindly go across town to your friends house and finish the damn game.

Also, did you guys save or harvest the little sisters?

I saved them. Control Big Daddy 2 is for epic lulz
Would you kindly get the plasmid right!
Its Hypnotize Big Daddy and its one of my favorites because there is nothing better than letting a hulking brute do most of the work.

Sun Wukong
31st October 07, 04:37 PM
I never really liked the Hypnotize Big Daddy plasmids.