PDA

View Full Version : Flytech Dragonfly (Best toy ever)

KidSpatula
21st August 07, 01:46 AM
So today Kat and I decided to make a trip to Toys R Us to see what silly things we could waste money on to entertain our child like brains. Seems these days the toys that I could only dream about as a kid looking through toy magazines are now actually accessible to a mere mortal like myself. One such toy that caught my eye was the Flytech Dragonfly by Wowwee (the company that makes the Robosapiens).

http://www.kdosihrajenezlobi.cz/shops/8374/images-goods/Dragonfly.jpg

Upon looking over the slick and all too cool looking toy we were pretty taken in but pretty skeptical that it could actually be as cool as it looked. We decided though that it was a freakin' remote control bug that FLEW LIKE A BUG, and if it worked AT ALL it would be pretty awesome. After some deliberation and some comparison to other flying toys (Kat was tempted by the mosquito RC helicopter, which was a bit more expensive and didn't look as much like a bug but had the ability to hover in place) and my best puppy dog eyes we went home with the Dragonfly.

When we got it home, we put in the batteries and charged it up (a pretty simple process) and took it for a test flight. Well, our initial flights had less than stellar results and I started to get a bit disappointed. We'd launch the bug and send it crashing face first pretty much immediately almost every time. After a bit of trying we got better and better and were able to make flights of about 5 seconds or so. I was a little frustrated but was having fun with the little progress I was making. After a bit we went back in and looked up some videos of people actually flying this thing successfully. This one in particular raised my enthusiasm for the toy:

pz0XNGJ-ep8

So after reading some tips on how to fly and a bit more practice, I've gotten it down where I can fly this bad boy pretty much until the battery loses power and have really good directional and altitude control. I've seen videos of people doing lots of cool tricks with these things like loop de loops and dives, but I've only been playing with this thing for one evening ;)

Some details:

takes 6 AA batteries for the controller and has a permanent rechargeable battery in the bug. The bug's battery lasts for about 10 minutes of flight (give or take a few minutes) and is recharged via the power from the controller (this can done about 10 times per set of batteries).

The range from the controller is about 50 feet.

As for giving this to your kids, it seems to be a pretty durable toy so I think it'd be a pretty good present so long as they don't get easily frustrated with their toys. It is something you need to learn to use so giving it to your hyperactive 6 year old as a toy could mean disaster. Adult supervision with kids under 12 or so would probably be a smart idea.

Price: $50 at Toys R Us (though we got it for $40 since they were having a sale)

Another cool thing is that if you do a google search on it you'll find a bunch of forums where people have instructions for simple mods they've done to improve the flights of their dragonflies, in addition to some other useful info on maximizing how much you get out of the toy.

Mas
21st August 07, 12:08 PM
It's a slippery slope...

http://www.impawards.com/2003/posters/terminator_three_rise_of_the_machines_ver2.jpg

Neildo
21st August 07, 12:10 PM
Neato!

Anna Kovacs
21st August 07, 03:01 PM
This thing was so crazy cool and fun that we went to Toys R us again today and bought another one.

Olorin
21st August 07, 03:10 PM
I saw a similar toy on TV. It was tiny remote control helicopter for about 50 dollars. Toys today are so cool.

kismasher
21st August 07, 03:40 PM
makes that helicopter on string i had look like a piece of frickin' crap.

Anna Kovacs
21st August 07, 03:48 PM
I remember looking at RC flying things back when I was a kid and they were like 200-300 dollars.

You sure didnt get anything decent for 50 bucks.

They dont fly very well even in slight wind but they're very awesome and amazingly controllable.

We added a little folded peice of aluminum foil to the heads of ours to reduce the "porposing" effect you see in the video ashly posted.

We're now easily flying these things 25-35 feet up in the air.

Zendetta
21st August 07, 04:53 PM
How long til you mount a gun on it?

KidSpatula
21st August 07, 06:28 PM
I saw a similar toy on TV. It was tiny remote control helicopter for about 50 dollars. Toys today are so cool.

The Micro Mosquito Helicopter (I think that's what it was called) looked pretty cool with it's hovering ability and all, but it seems to be a difficult task to make it go in directions other than up or down.

This thing has such surprisingly precise controls once you get used to keeping it in the air. You can slow it to just about a hover or zip it around. I've had the thing zipping past or flying at a nice controlled pace as I walk to the park or mailbox. On expert mode the turning radius is awesomely tight. I've also had a lot of success flying it a foot or two off the ground or as high as 30 or so feet in the air. The only real downside to this thing is the short battery life on the bug, which isn't so bad. You can still get some pretty satisfying flight times in before having to recharge, and recharge only takes 20 minutes.

KidSpatula
21st August 07, 06:38 PM
How long til you mount a gun on it?

I wanted to put some lights like the ones on this guys gloves on it

u41yH5k-B4E

until I realized it was waaay too light to not be thrown off by even a single one

bad credit
22nd August 07, 04:19 AM
Does it have spring loaded missle launchers? Does it transform into a humanoid robot with a laser gun and a fold out sword? Can a fur loincloth clad sword swinging barbarian action figure ride it? Does it have a story line with a cartoon and comic book?

No? Meh.

Although, I've had fantasies about buyin' one of those mini RC helicopters and taping razor blades to the rotors and going to the mall on a crowded Saturday and hiding behind a potted plant and seeing how many people I could slice up. Oh well, it'd only have five minutes flight on the battery, and the weight of the blades and tape would cut even that down. One janitor with a broom could smack it out of the air and end it anyways. Soooo... fuck it.

downinit
22nd August 07, 09:43 AM
Nobody ever suspects the butterfly!

KidSpatula
22nd August 07, 03:47 PM
You people all underestimate the fun potential of a freakin remote controlled giant flying insect

bad credit
22nd August 07, 05:07 PM
Heh, I was in Toys R Us the other day getting the Transformers classics Jetfire when I saw an RC Tarantula. It was fuzzy, and looked pretty real. In the dark, if that thing came scuffling out from underneath a bush or table or vehicle, I'd run like a girl.

Anna Kovacs
22nd August 07, 06:49 PM
So yeh, as an update the blue one runs a little rougher then the green one. my understanding is that the greens are consistently a little better but almost all of them require minor tweaking (in the case of our green we wrapped a little aluminum foil collar around his neck to give him some better balance)

I am still trying to figure out the best tweak for the blue one.

As to the fun potential, they're actually quite a blast to fly, i was a little doubtful at first but we've spent most of our free time playing with them for the past few days.

The real hilarity however is when we take them to a psytrance party (read: hippies on a lot of acid in the middle of the woods) and fly them around people.

whenever one of these things flys near you sober it already looks and soundsk ind of like a big bug or bat. tripping balls in the dark it will be even more awesome.

Mas
22nd August 07, 06:55 PM
...fun potential...

http://www.scifi.com/sfw/issue380/sentinel2.jpg

As I said, a slippery slope.

DAYoung
22nd August 07, 09:52 PM
Remote controlled cockroach.

http://imgred.com/http://headlesschicken.ca/cyborgblog/uploaded_images/roach-730745.jpg

bad credit
26th August 07, 09:30 PM
Yeah, but how long does the battery last?

Yiktin Voxbane
27th August 07, 02:14 AM
Mmm Brundle-fly .

Anna Kovacs
27th August 07, 02:03 PM
Yeah, but how long does the battery last?

The controller takes 6 double A batteries. The dragonfly has it's own tiny recharable battery inside it.

There's a tiny cord in the controller that you plug into the dragonfly that charges it's battery. The charge takes about 15-20 minutes and allows 5-10 minutes of flight time.

A set of cheap AA's from dollar tree allows about 10~ fly/charge cycles.

polishillusion
27th August 07, 02:59 PM
can you tape a webcam to it?

Anna Kovacs
27th August 07, 03:42 PM
No, this thing is incredibly light. In fact, just the tape you would use to attach the webcam would have enough weight to fuck with the flight pattern.

I haven't weighed them but I seem to recall reding that they weigh less then an ounce.

The lightness makes them durable and safe.

Sirc
28th August 07, 05:51 AM
can you tape a webcam to it?

The irony in your supposed NASA training is hilarious with this comment.

WHY YES! YOU CAN PUT A 1/4 LB PIECE OF EQUIPMENT ON THIS ALREADY DELICATE PIECE OF MACHINERY! IT DOESN'T NEED TO KEEP IT'S LITHE STATE AT ALL TO FLY! WHY, HOW COME NOBODY HAS JUST GRABBED ONTO THE LEGS AND FLOWN AWAY FROM THIS FANTASY LAND?!

Anyway, with my strange affinity for electronics and batteries and such. I'm going to see if I can figure out a way to have even more battery life or even have a higher amperage and more MAh so it'll last longer.

Would the little thing having more power make it fly any different other than the wings beating faster, I wonder? I might have to find out.

polishillusion
28th August 07, 04:21 PM

WHY YES! YOU CAN PUT A 1/4 LB PIECE OF EQUIPMENT ON THIS ALREADY DELICATE PIECE OF MACHINERY! IT DOESN'T NEED TO KEEP IT'S LITHE STATE AT ALL TO FLY! WHY, HOW COME NOBODY HAS JUST GRABBED ONTO THE LEGS AND FLOWN AWAY FROM THIS FANTASY LAND?!

Anyway, with my strange affinity for electronics and batteries and such. I'm going to see if I can figure out a way to have even more battery life or even have a higher amperage and more MAh so it'll last longer.

Would the little thing having more power make it fly any different other than the wings beating faster, I wonder? I might have to find out.

K, me and the mod confirmed NASA program over here, and the "douche who seriously thinks I want to scotch tape a web cam to a battery powered bug, on this side". which side wins? neither.

polishillusion
28th August 07, 04:22 PM
No, this thing is incredibly light. In fact, just the tape you would use to attach the webcam would have enough weight to fuck with the flight pattern.

I haven't weighed them but I seem to recall reding that they weigh less then an ounce.

The lightness makes them durable and safe.

I was just fucking around but thanks............... seeing it is so light makes me regret we do not have a even more dangerous version of the Wii remote with wings to fly near my big screen tv. :'(

Sirc
28th August 07, 04:52 PM
K, me and the mod confirmed NASA program over here, and the "douche who seriously thinks I want to scotch tape a web cam to a battery powered bug, on this side". which side wins? neither.

When you were supposedly working for NASA, did they make you learn how to write English? Or is that just residual idiocy from being polish?

Nice back-peddling though. "HA HA GAIZ! I WAS JUST KIDDING! JOKE'S ON YOU! LOLZ!"

Anna Kovacs
28th August 07, 06:14 PM

people are already experimenting with this kind of thing, people ave replaced the blue and green LED eyes with red leds so tat they take less power, people have tracked down batteries that hold a little more power. The problem is they batteries also weigh more so now people are looking at putting in a better motor to make it flap harder.

At 40 bucks you could certainly afford one to tinker with and a lot of people have fun doing it.

Sirc
28th August 07, 06:21 PM
Do you by any chance know what kind of MAh the battery is on the actual dragonfly?

I'll go see if I can get one and tinker. I have access to all the electronic equipment I could get my hands on. I might be able to make some cool shit with this.

polishillusion
28th August 07, 06:39 PM
a simple google search shows that people have already massively moded the battery/

Sirc
28th August 07, 06:41 PM
a simple google search shows that people have already massively moded the battery/

Is moded the battery anything like modifying the battery? Because I'm pretty sure moded was something that elementary school kids used to say when someone just totally served someone else.

BLAM! Did you see what I just did there? I just fucking moded you, bitch. You stupid cunt. SUCK MY FUCKING DICK! YES! THAT'S A GOOD BITCH!

Also, I didn't care enough to search on my own. Nor would I want to anyway.

polishillusion
28th August 07, 08:01 PM
lick the car battery once or twice, k?

Sirc
29th August 07, 03:19 AM
lick the car battery once or twice, k?

Um. I'd get some grease on my tongue. I'm not sure what you were even trying for there.

What's that old Polish saying?

Polish firing squad, stands in a circle.

polishillusion
29th August 07, 07:40 PM
Um. I'd get some grease on my tongue. I'm not sure what you were even trying for there.

What's that old Polish saying?

Polish firing squad, stands in a circle.

while in a submarine with a sliding door, trying to all screw in one light bulb, and tying their shoelaces by picking the wrong foot up in the air.

Mr_Mantis
6th September 07, 11:10 AM
How can the best toy ever NOT be a sex toy?

I'm disappointed in this thread.

DAYoung
6th September 07, 03:54 PM
Lesbians don't need sex toys.

They have limbs.

Anna Kovacs
9th September 07, 04:29 PM
Sex toy's are creepy,

Especially the ones aimed at guys, shit like disembodied latex vagina's or a personal favorite of mine, the "titty blow job" deal that's just a vaguely feminine lower half of a face behind the cleavage of a pair of disembodied boobs.

DAYoung
9th September 07, 05:31 PM
Sex toy's are creepy,

Especially the ones aimed at guys, shit like disembodied latex vagina's or a personal favorite of mine, the "titty blow job" deal that's just a vaguely feminine lower half of a face behind the cleavage of a pair of disembodied boobs.

So very disturbing. It makes the whole 'sex object' thing so obvious.