PDA

View Full Version : New Richard Dawkins Documentary: The Enemies of Reason

Steve
20th August 07, 04:34 PM
Pretty interesting even tho I can't watch the whole thing here at work.

In his last Channel 4 series, Root of All Evil?, the evolutionary biologist Professor Richard Dawkins explored how organised faith and ... all primitive religious values blight our lives.

But the fault line runs deeper even than religion. There are two ways of looking at the world through faith and superstition or through the rigours of logic, observation and evidence in other words, through reason. Reason and a respect for evidence are precious commodities, the source of human progress and our safeguard against fundamentalists and those who profit from obscuring the truth.

Yet, today, society appears to be retreating from reason.

Apparently harmless but utterly irrational belief systems from astrology to New Age mysticism, clairvoyance to alternative health remedies are booming.

Richard Dawkins confronts what he sees as an epidemic of irrational, superstitious thinking...

He explains the dangers the pick and mix of knowledge and nonsense poses in the internet age, and passionately re-states the case for reason and science.

EDIT: This is part one, I'll post part two here when it becomes available (it's airing in the UK today).

Stick
20th August 07, 06:37 PM
That stereotype-astrology bit is fucking hilarious.

Watching it as I post this.

MrGalt
20th August 07, 06:45 PM
Wow. Richard Dawkins is quieter and completely non-profane, yet somehow comes off as more of a dick than Penn Jillette when he deals with these people. I like it.

Stick
20th August 07, 08:07 PM
That's just cause the crap these people are trying to feed him as their excuses, explainations, and reasons are quite obviously beneath serious consideration.

ThaiBoxerShorts
21st August 07, 12:12 AM
I love the opening scene, where it shows the wacky New Agers chanting, and then the camera pans over to Dr. Dawkins. You can almost see the "WTF?!" floating above his head.

WarPhalange
21st August 07, 01:13 AM
Nothing new presented to me, but then again, it wasn't aimed at me. So all in all, it was pretty good. He does a good job of debunking all that stuff without being too preachy.

He gives the evidence first before coming to a conclusion.

DAYoung
21st August 07, 01:39 AM
I see, yes yes.

He's hoping to guide New Agers and other nuts back to reason and evidence using...reason and evidence.

Right, right...

Stick
21st August 07, 06:51 AM
It's a lost cause, we should just GTFO the planet and let this place descend into darkness.

DAYoung
21st August 07, 06:56 AM
As a philosopher, I heartily agr-

Oh.

Cullion
21st August 07, 08:12 AM
Sorry, I'm confused by this Dawkins fellow. Does he want these people to be happier, or just acknowledge that he is right ?

Arhetton
21st August 07, 08:16 AM
wwYwpIaIjlU
Bn86aSE9DEA
-LVWPtvLgRk
3FYvj2ZA5s0
3XwrlPGG0Gw

or just acknowledge that he is right ?

Dawkins does rub off on people the wrong way alot. But he does get in the face of people about some important stuff.

When he explains his position a bit more he is quite likeable. The spirit of anti-bullshido is strong in this one :)

WarPhalange
21st August 07, 11:42 AM
Sorry, I'm confused by this Dawkins fellow. Does he want these people to be happier, or just acknowledge that he is right ?

His personality seems to be a lot like mine. So the latter.

ThaiBoxerShorts
21st August 07, 12:46 PM
People have a better shot at real happiness if they know the truth, and Dawkins is closer to it than most.

Happiness based on silly superstitious bullshit is illusory.

Steve
22nd August 07, 10:28 PM
Part 2

Stick
22nd August 07, 11:35 PM
Scary shit.

DAYoung
23rd August 07, 12:22 AM
The face of an internationally-recognised biologist being lectured on DNA.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n5/DAYoung_2006/wtf.jpg

ThaiBoxerShorts
23rd August 07, 12:25 AM
The face of an internationally-recognised biologist being lectured on DNA.
I wish I could find a picture of General Wesley Clark, former Supreme Commander of NATO forces, being lectured by Sean Hannity on military strategy. The look on his face was about the same.

DAYoung
23rd August 07, 01:05 AM
I just emailed Dawkins, asking him whether he thinks society has genuinely got more irrational, or whether their faith has just shifted from science to religion/spirituality.

It'll be interesting to see whether I get a reply. And if so, what it is.

WarPhalange
23rd August 07, 01:06 AM
He'll probably just send you a picture of a penis.

DAYoung
23rd August 07, 01:09 AM

Here's hoping. I really don't get to see enough penises.

THEY'RE SO PRETTY.

ThaiBoxerShorts
23rd August 07, 01:11 AM
He's a microbiologist.

So it would have to be Emboesso's.

DAYoung
23rd August 07, 02:11 AM
I really hope Dawkins reads this thread. He'll be so impressed.

Steve
23rd August 07, 02:22 AM
Here, I'll post.

That way he can see how my massive penis neg repped emboesso.

Well, if Dawkins is smart enough to use the search function, that is.

/tongue in cheek

king of seals
23rd August 07, 08:29 AM
6mmskXXetcg

That man is my hero.

Arhetton
1st September 07, 10:31 AM
so has part two been put up on google vid yet?

king of seals
1st September 07, 11:58 AM
so has part two been put up on google vid yet?

Part 2

From: page 2 of this thread (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47888&page=2).

Sun Wukong
2nd September 07, 01:05 AM
Dawkins is awesome.

Cullion
2nd September 07, 05:58 PM
People have a better shot at real happiness if they know the truth

Not often.

Happiness based on silly superstitious bullshit is illusory.

Au contraire mon frere.

Arhetton
2nd September 07, 06:02 PM
thanks! Sorry I must be going blind

Cullion
2nd September 07, 06:05 PM
I just emailed Dawkins, asking him whether he thinks society has genuinely got more irrational, or whether their faith has just shifted from science to religion/spirituality.

It'll be interesting to see whether I get a reply. And if so, what it is.

Neither. Their faith in a really fucking serious Santa-Claus-for-adults who enforces good behaviour with special effects has been torn apart by humanist thought in their media and educational systems and instead of being replaced with a sensitive appreciation of the beauty of nature and science and each other, it's been replaced by a howling fucking void of reality television, debt and ever more intrusive high-tech surveillance.