PDA

View Full Version : Bridge Collapses during rush hour

Neildo
1st August 07, 07:36 PM
August 2, 2007

Two die in Mississippi bridge collapse
As many as 20 cars and a truck were said to have been thrown into the water after bridge collapses in the the rush hour Lech Mintowt-Czyz and agencies
At least two people were reported to have been killed after a freeway bridge collapsed in the middle of the evening rush hour in Minneapolis.

As many as 60 cars and a truck were said to have been thrown into the Mississippi River in Minneapolis with tens of other vehicles trapped on the remains of the span.

Witnesses said that the four lane bridge, which was built in 1967, had been packed with vehicles which were crawling at low speed due to road works.

The entire span of the 35W bridge collapsed about 6.05pm where the freeway crosses the river near University Avenue.

Some people were stranded on parts of the bridge that were still above the water and many people were said to be injured.

Witnesses at the scene told how they heard a roar as the bridge collapsed and saw a thick pall of black smoke rise above the site.

One truck driver, who escaped unharmed, told how his vehicle was cut in half by the collapse. Another witness said: "Cars were bumper to bumper - hundreds of people must have been involved."

It was not clear what could have caused the disaster but the US Department of Homeland Security said the collapse did not appear to be related to any terrorist attack.

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/article2183945.ece

http://www.suntimes.com/news/nation/493746,collapse080107.article

Yikes!

Last paragraph made me lol

Iscariot
1st August 07, 08:00 PM
Video or it didn't happen.

Neildo
1st August 07, 08:49 PM
yeesh, picky picky

i cant embed this: http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22175940-2,00.html?from=mostpop

ThaiBoxerShorts
1st August 07, 09:36 PM
TBS here, checking in safe and accounted for in Minneapolis. My friends and family are not yet all accounted for. I'm hoping for the best, but bracing myself for bad news.

This could have been a lot worse. It's a major four-lane interstate near downtown, and this hapened during rush hour. Luckily, construction on the bridge had it down to one lane in each direction, so there were far less cars on it than there otherwise would have been.

I was at the gym kicking the crap out of a pair of Thai pads when I heard. Kind of put a buzzkill on my workout.

WarPhalange
1st August 07, 10:19 PM
Jackie Chan's gonna be pissed...

ThaiBoxerShorts
1st August 07, 10:29 PM
Update: My gay uncle and my other "uncle," who live literally right off the interstate from the bridge, aren't answering their phones.

So much for sleeping tonight, unless they return my calls soon.

WarPhalange
2nd August 07, 12:24 AM
Phone lines could just be down. A lot of shit happened, so the company maybe cut that part down by itself to prevent interference with repairs or some shit.

ThaiBoxerShorts
2nd August 07, 01:23 AM
My uncles are safe. They're staying at a hotel, because they can't get anywhere near their apartment. All the roads in the immediate area are closed.

This is, unfortunately, not going to be a wow-that-sucked-but-at-least-it's-over event. Minneapolis long ago outgrew its transportation infrastructure. Commuting in this city is already a fucking nightmare. Now it's going to be a hell of a lot worse for a matter of fucking years.

Sempai
2nd August 07, 01:40 AM
I lived 2 blocks away from that bridge during college. That highway was one of the main routes into downtown minneapolis and the university so things are gonna be really bad getting around there the next year or so.

As of this post the current counts are 9 deaths, 62 injured and 20 missing. No evidence of an attack, it is assumed to be a structural failure.

DAYoung
2nd August 07, 03:47 AM
The first thing I thought was: that's fucking awful.

The second thing I thought was: I hope everyone from Sociocide/Bullshido is OK.

TBS: glad you're in one piece.

Riddeck
2nd August 07, 04:48 AM
I lived 2 blocks away from that bridge during college. That highway was one of the main routes into downtown minneapolis and the university so things are gonna be really bad getting around there the next year or so.

As of this post the current counts are 9 deaths, 62 injured and 20 missing. No evidence of an attack, it is assumed to be a structural failure.

Of an attack? What, are we at war?

bad credit
2nd August 07, 05:56 AM
My ex who cheated on me lives up there. I morbidly wondered about whether or not I would be happy or sad to hear she died.

Then I thought about what the families of the dead are going through. The families of the missing must be going through worse.

There's gonna be a huge investigation. Apparently the engineers said the bridge didn't need repair until 2020. I can only imagine the firings and lawsuits that are gonna come out of this.

ThaiBoxerShorts
2nd August 07, 02:36 PM
Video of the bridge as it collapsed (http://video.ap.org/v/Default.aspx?g=92c9f371-9de9-43a7-bb1c-ef31c3b653d2&mk=en-ap&f=youridhere&fg=email) (I don't think that can be embedded, and if it can, I don't know how). Not the best quality -- looks like it was taken from a stationary Army CoE camera -- but still, holy shit. Looks pretty horrific.

Neildo
2nd August 07, 02:37 PM
Damn choppy video ruined the OMFG moment.

but still, omfg. that shit is crazy.

Shu2jack
2nd August 07, 04:29 PM
Hey Thaiboxershorts,

I'd send you a PM instead of posting in this thread, but for some reason it won't let me.

Where do you do Thai boxing in the Twin Cities?

WarPhalange
2nd August 07, 09:32 PM
My ex who cheated on me lives up there. I morbidly wondered about whether or not I would be happy or sad to hear she died.

Then I thought about what the families of the dead are going through. The families of the missing must be going through worse.

There's gonna be a huge investigation. Apparently the engineers said the bridge didn't need repair until 2020. I can only imagine the firings and lawsuits that are gonna come out of this.

If it comes to that, I can be happy for you and you can be sad. Deal?

bad credit
3rd August 07, 05:15 AM
Meh, how about I feel bad that she's dead, but not as bad as I should? Besides, she wasn't on the list of the dead, so it's a moot point. It was my fucked up way of making this personal even though I haven't been up to the cities for 3 years. (Sioux Falls is 4 hours away.)

ThaiBoxerShorts
3rd August 07, 12:49 PM
It's not a moot point yet. There are still eight unidentified bodies in the river that haven't been recovered.

Although considering that it was the busiest bridge in the state (I suspected as much, and it's been confirmed by a Department of Transportation official), and it collapsed during the busiest time of day, the death toll is miraculously low. That's something to be thankful for.

But I still have friends I haven't heard from. The odds are in my favor with so few dead, but it's kind of hard not to be nervous.

WarPhalange
3rd August 07, 12:53 PM
Although considering that it was the busiest bridge in the state (I suspected as much, and it's been confirmed by a Department of Transportation official), and it collapsed during the busiest time of day, the death toll is miraculously low. That's something to be thankful for.

I heard they were repairing the bridge, so they only had one lane open per side as opposed to 4.

ThaiBoxerShorts
8th August 07, 09:32 PM
My boss came back from vacation today.

Last time I saw him was last Wednesday. He lives in the suburbs north of Minneapolis, so he would have been heading in that direction on 35W.

At about 6:00 PM.

So it was kind of nice to see him alive and in one piece.

He wasn't quite to the bridge yet when it fell. He was on the Washington Avenue entrance onto northbound 35W, which is mere minutes away from the bridge. And he'd left work slightly later than usual due to getting an important phone call just as he was leaving.

Which makes him officially the closest call I know personally.

WarPhalange
8th August 07, 09:33 PM
My boss came back from vacation today.

My condolences. :(