PDA

View Full Version : You would think this would be bigger news

Robot Jesus
1st August 07, 01:10 AM
So the Canadian Supreme Court has ruled that marijuana prohibition is unconstituonal if there is no working medical marijuana program.

This happened on the 13th of July and I found out about it today

http://www.cannabislink.ca/legal/r_vs_long.htm

Steve
1st August 07, 01:16 AM
Canadians get to smoke pot, what else is new?

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st August 07, 01:59 AM
party at neildo's house!

ThaiBoxerShorts
1st August 07, 02:24 AM
http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/8/8a/Cannaba.jpg

king of seals
1st August 07, 02:29 AM
marijuana prohibition is unconstituonal if there is no working medical marijuana program.

Does this mean they will collect some official data on the subject before consider banning it?

1) create a Government owned source of marijuana that complies with product standards accompanied by a longer term goal of phasing out personal cultivation;
2) distribute marijuana to authorized persons through pharmacies
3) monitor the risks and benefits of marijuana for medical purposes and educating patients and physicians
4) improve post-market surveillance to monitor safety and efficacy.

Interesting.

Sun Wukong
1st August 07, 06:16 AM
All I can say is, it's about god damn time.

Not only do people from all walks of life do it frequently, but as a medical aid it's fantastic. I talked to some guys with AIDS about it and they said it made life much, much easier for them. One guy claimed it saved his life because it was the only thing that actually made him forget he was in constant pain so he could do things like go to sleep and actually have enough of an appetite to eat a life sustaining quantity of food.

It's a harmless fucking drug on it's own. If it weren't illegal, then there wouldn't be an illegal economy supporting it and pot related crime would plummet to invisible percentages.

For the record, I absolutely do NOT smoke pot.

Edit: My vices are food, and cigarettes. That's why I'm out of shape and fat. I wish it was pot, life sure as hell would be more fun.

Neildo
1st August 07, 11:28 AM
Just say the word dude. I'll share ;) ;) ;)

party at neildo's house!

If by party you mean sitting around a bong all bleary-eyed playing video games and munching out, then yes.

Riddeck
1st August 07, 12:03 PM
Everybody move to Canada, smoke lots of pot

They need to legalize it, on the basis of it's medicinal benefits, but it cannot be allowed to be a government controlled operation. Personal cultivation would have to continue, or it would be the same thing all over again. In the US, it would be clumped into the 'drug' category, and would fall under the jurisdiction of the FDA (Who are about as corrupt as you can get) then it would be victim to some pharmaceutical company who would probably add nicotine to it or something, so it actually became physically addictive.

Not to mention how expensive it might become, because of the FDA 'sexual chocolate' with the pharmaceutical industry. Remember it is always all about the money.

However, on the down to earth side, fuck smoking it, vaporizing is the way to go. Save yer lungs, and get more from yer weed.

Neildo
1st August 07, 12:05 PM
^^^ TRUTH

except for the vaporisor part. those things are annoying, and take all the fun out of blazing big fatties.

Zendetta
1st August 07, 12:08 PM
as a medical aid it's fantastic.

Amen.

At an early age I was struck with the tragic disease of Chronic Early Onset Boredom. While there is no known cure for CEOB, cannabis provides temporary relief from some of the worst symptoms.

Also, its apparently good for babies too!

http://www.tc.columbia.edu/centers/cifas/drugsandsociety/analyses/dreher1.html

Riddeck
1st August 07, 12:34 PM
^^^ TRUTH

except for the vaporisor part. those things are annoying, and take all the fun out of blazing big fatties.

I have got this thing about my lungs where I like to limit the shit I put in em.

Sucks cause I like smokin 8 )

Neildo
1st August 07, 02:16 PM
At an early age I was struck with the tragic disease of Chronic Early Onset Boredom. While there is no known cure for CEOB, cannabis provides temporary relief from some of the worst symptoms.

I didn't realize it had a name. Shit i got this bad yo.

I have got this thing about my lungs where I like to limit the shit I put in em.

Sucks cause I like smokin 8 )

I think breathing car exhaust is exponentially worse, and it's also unavoidable if you live in any kind of city. besides, AFAIK the tar from marijuana is not water soluble, and therefore not absorbed by your lungs as readily as tobacco tar, which is water soluble.

I haven't done any serious research on the matter, i just know that you can water wash weed and it wont make it weaker, but if you soak cigarette butts in water it will leech out the nicotine. *shrug*

WarPhalange
1st August 07, 06:52 PM
B-b-b-but, it's a gateway drug!!!!

Riddeck
2nd August 07, 04:51 AM
B-b-b-but, it's a gateway drug!!!!

Only for the weak.

And yeah, I know most everything we inhale *from cologne to air freshener* is just as bad, if not worse...

I would just prefer to keep my temple as clean as possible. Bad enough I have the government poisoning me most of our food supply.

Goldenmane
2nd August 07, 07:32 AM
All I can say is, it's about god damn time.

Not only do people from all walks of life do it frequently, but as a medical aid it's fantastic. I talked to some guys with AIDS about it and they said it made life much, much easier for them. One guy claimed it saved his life because it was the only thing that actually made him forget he was in constant pain so he could do things like go to sleep and actually have enough of an appetite to eat a life sustaining quantity of food.

It's a harmless fucking drug on it's own. If it weren't illegal, then there wouldn't be an illegal economy supporting it and pot related crime would plummet to invisible percentages.

For the record, I absolutely do NOT smoke pot.

Edit: My vices are food, and cigarettes. That's why I'm out of shape and fat. I wish it was pot, life sure as hell would be more fun.

To make my angle on this clear up front: I am an advocate of cannabis legalisation. I don't tend to smoke it myself these days (though I went through a period where I was a frequent pot-user) but I still don't see any arguments for banning it that carry the day.

That being said:

- Harmless drug? The jury's still out on that one, I'm afraid. It's a complex issue that is still well behind the eight-ball in terms of approaching resolution, largely (I suspect) due to the impact of decades of prohibition. The same argument can be made for most illegal psychoactives such as Peyote, Ayahuacsa, LSD and the like. Cannabis has different effects on the whole to most of these substances/matrices, and in those terms is effectively in a class of its own, but the argument in a broad sense applies. In a real sense, I don't actually know of any drug that could categorically be deemed "harmless". If you are going to use pot (or any drug), I seriously think awareness of the known and suspected effects and consequences bears some considerable weight.

- I back vaporising, and I smoke cigarettes (hey, there's a little dumbass in all of us). If you want to avoid fucking up your lungs in any way you can control, go for the vapour (god, I've been writing to americans for so long I can't remember where the 'u's go...). What you're after are the cannabinols* - legend has it that delta-9 tetrahydrocannabinol is the mofo, and gives you the "head-stone", while the cannabinoids (which cannabinols supposedly become as they degrade) give you the "body stone"). Anyway, there are better ways in terms of delivery to take the stuff than smoke the plant, and vaporisers using hash oil may be the least harmful in terms of particulates and the like if you're inhaling. Eating the stuff I can't really comment on, other than it spares your lungs and takes longer. If you're going to do this, don't make sweet sweet brownies, though, because there's a tendency to eat more of them when you get the munchies. Vicious circle, 'nuff said.

- For the record, I suppose, and relating to another post on the thread: Solubility. Last I checked, THC is not water-soluble. This means a couple of things, but probably the most important is Don't drink the bong water, baby! Aside from that, it means that it is fat (oil)- and alcohol-soluble (to various degrees).
this means you can render it down in butter, cook it in the presence of fats/oils, or use alcohol to liberate it to be accessible by the digestive system. I seem to recall a paper or something that indicated that THC in the plant matter was hydrogenated, or bound up with water molecules and needed to have that water driven off before it would effectively metabolize, or something.. I never did work out how that was supposed to work, but it did give a neat little reason for burning the stuff. My argument? Just brew your own beer, and use buds as an adjunct to hops. Or cook with it.. goes best with fish baked with lemongrass, garlic and onion -use a sweet-fleshed fish to match the flavours. You can use it successfully as part of a chicken stuffing if you add a note of sweetness to the stuffing to complement. Like apricot or a sweet white wine.

Of course, I've never even seen the stuff, so why would you even think I might have the remotest clue? I don't... of course.

*It's been a while since I reviewed my research on this, so I may be misremembering or completely skewiff, if so I apologise.

ICY
3rd August 07, 12:30 AM
I would love to see (and have considered making myself, but probably won't due to lack of expertise, equipment, and a desire to avoid death by overdose) weed laced with nicotine.

Nicotine is not harmful in small doses (like you get in a smoke), and would not make weed carcinogenic. Me and my friends would never smoke fags if weed had nicotine in it.

bob
3rd August 07, 03:46 AM
Everyone in Britain smokes weed/tobacco joints.

And it's not really the nicotine in cigarettes that's harmful, it's all the other crap like acetone.

OZZ
3rd August 07, 09:19 AM
There is one major stumbling block towards the decriminalization, or outright legalization, of pot in Canada and that would be pressure from the USA.
Fuckers..

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd August 07, 09:33 AM
are you kidding? Canada should legalize and tax it, then make trillions from all the new American tourists.

Neildo
3rd August 07, 10:49 AM
Everyone in Britain smokes weed/tobacco joints.

And it's not really the nicotine in cigarettes that's harmful, it's all the other crap like acetone.

which they don't even need to put in there. i don't understand it.

are you kidding? Canada should legalize and tax it, then make trillions from all the new American tourists.

i think we already do the latter part of that...

Kein Haar
3rd August 07, 11:11 AM
Ya know what's the most pathetic things about these discussions?

Some dolt thinks a proprietary taxation of it would be a good thing...and always seems pleased with himself having been first to say it.

How about legalize it and NOT tax it?

Why must cool shit always be taxed with you people?

Jesus.

"Treatment programs" blah blah. Fuck that.

WarPhalange
3rd August 07, 12:39 PM
Ya know what's the most pathetic things about these discussions?

Some dolt thinks a proprietary taxation of it would be a good thing...and always seems pleased with himself having been first to say it.

How about legalize it and NOT tax it?

It's called "trillions of dollars in debt".

It would still cost less if it was taxed vs. getting it off the street.

Kein Haar
3rd August 07, 12:44 PM

So? That's not Cheech's problem.

WarPhalange
3rd August 07, 12:46 PM
Cheech lives in America. It's his problem if he decides to pass on his genes.

The_Tao
3rd August 07, 12:48 PM
Why must cool shit always be taxed with you people?

because we absolutly have to ruin your fun.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd August 07, 10:08 PM
Because I want to give all your money to poor people.

Sun Wukong
3rd August 07, 10:13 PM

It would still cost less if it was taxed vs. getting it off the street.

No kidding; we could tax the holy shit out of it and everyone would still come out ahead.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
3rd August 07, 10:32 PM
taxes lead to communism

The_Tao
3rd August 07, 10:34 PM
taxes lead to communism

and communism leads to the need of drugs.

its the perfect cycle.

Riddeck
3rd August 07, 11:47 PM
I would love to see (and have considered making myself, but probably won't due to lack of expertise, equipment, and a desire to avoid death by overdose) weed laced with nicotine.

Nicotine is not harmful in small doses (like you get in a smoke), and would not make weed carcinogenic. Me and my friends would never smoke fags if weed had nicotine in it.

Nicotine is poison. Weather in small or large amounts, poison is bad for you. Just because you do not see any immediate effects, does not mean you are not getting sick from it.

Same thing goes for fluoride. Yet we drink it, shower in it, and breathe it in *steamy shower for you?*.

Riddeck
3rd August 07, 11:50 PM
taxes lead to communism

So...

if our tax money (Specifically Federal Income tax, not nessicary ones that fund important things) is used to pay the trillion dollar nation debt, owed to the Federal Reserve, a privately owned entity...

What do we call that?

It is certainly not communism.