PDA

View Full Version : The Poor Wealthy

emboesso
31st July 07, 11:17 AM
http://www.heritage.org/Research/HealthCare/wm1546.cfm

According to the federal government, thousands of American families are both poor and high-income—simultaneously. These families are considered poor enough to be eligible for the State Children's Health Insurance Program (SCHIP) program, but under the tax code, they are considered wealthy and so forced to pay the Alternative Minimum Tax (AMT). Their ranks may grow if Congress moves forward with plans to expand SCHIP eligibility to wealthier families. The unlikely convergence of these two programs shows how the best intentions of Congress can go astray and result in conflicting priorities. Instead of making this problem worse by expanding SCHIP, Congress should keep SCHIP focused on low-income families and extend the "hold harmless" provision of the AMT while planning for permanent AMT reform.

If SCHIP is expanded, thousands of families will find themselves eligible for taxpayer-funded government benefits even while they are forced to pay higher taxes through the AMT. It is not surprising that Congress would handle these families inconsistently. Given policymakers' misguided urge to increase federal spending and intervention, lawmakers will continue to look for more ways to raise taxes. Thus Congress treats the same families in two contradictory ways, granting benefits with one hand and taking away taxes with the other. When this happens, taxpayers and families lose. They no longer have a choice in how to spend their money and instead must rely upon the government to make decisions for them.

lol

WarPhalange
31st July 07, 11:31 AM
What's "high-income"? I can't imagine someone with $100k/year being too concerned about this. Certainly not "forced to spend their money the way the government wants".

Truculent Sheep
31st July 07, 09:56 PM
I remember the publisher Felix Dennis (Maxim, et al) once saying that having between one and five million pounds made you 'comfortably poor'.

ICY
31st July 07, 11:57 PM
Public medicine is fucking fantastic.

Sun Wukong
1st August 07, 05:43 AM
keep in mind that heritage.org, like alot of emboesso's hangouts, is a right wing spin organization.

they don't exactly drop alot of numerical figures out there do they. This whole article is all about reducing the pro-medical reform movement. Where were they when congressional spending went totally unchecked on republican side projects for 6 years? total mindless bullshit.

emboesso
1st August 07, 07:55 AM
keep in mind that heritage.org, like alot of emboesso's hangouts, is a right wing spin organization.

they don't exactly drop alot of numerical figures out there do they. This whole article is all about reducing the pro-medical reform movement. Where were they when congressional spending went totally unchecked on republican side projects for 6 years? total mindless bullshit.

"Reducing the pro-medical reform movement." lol

Actually I was just amused at how one government program can find a family "needy", and another can find the very same family "wealthy."

"Wow, your income level indicates to us that you need assistance with health care for your family. Here's what we'll do to help. We'll ratchet up a tax law that was originally intended to have about 155 of the super wealthiest people in the country pay more tax dollars, apply it to you because you're wealthy, so we'll have the money to pay for health care for needy families like yours."

Gilbert & Sullivan would have loved this.

How quaint the ways of paradox
At common sense she gaily mocks

A paradox, a pardox
A most ingenious paradox.
We've quips and quibbles heard in flocks
But none to beat this paradox.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st August 07, 08:22 AM
No, I think Gilbert and Sullivan had more important things to do than think about how much they'd love to be robber barons.

MEGA JESUS-SAMA
1st August 07, 08:38 AM
BTW Emboesso your neg reps are worth a staggering one point.

ICY
1st August 07, 05:04 PM
That Republican anti-liberal propaganda makes it necessary for liberals to come up with goofy wordings like this to expand the scope of public healthcare in the US is sad.

On a lighter note, emboesso's love of show tunes is telling and hilarious.

emboesso
1st August 07, 05:10 PM
BTW Emboesso your neg reps are worth a staggering one point.

Ban plz.

I don't really care. I only retaliate after getting moronic ones like the one you sent.

On a lighter note, emboesso's love of show tunes is telling and hilarious.

Cretin. G&S composed light opera, not show tunes.

ICY
1st August 07, 05:18 PM
LOL, call it whatever you want, a man can build a thousand bridges (with private money, and set up toll booths), but love one show tune and...