PDA

View Full Version : Why Americans Don't Like Football.

Truculent Sheep
19th July 07, 04:08 AM
A refreshing take on the matter. Americans don't like football out of some strange sort of phillistinism*: it's just they've got so many other sports to choose from...

http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php?/site/article/3624/

...It is an undisputed fact that most Americans donít really like football. This failure to Ďgetí football is often interpreted by Brits as a sign of American insularity and philistinism. Exhibit A, mílud, is that the Yanks donít like draws. They want to see a winner. They want shoot-outs to settle games. Exhibit B is that Americans donít like low-scoring games. The only thing that Americans hate more than 0-0 draws is Osama bin Laden. So short is the average Americanís concentration span that, unless thereís a goal every two minutes, theyíre trotting off to the catering stall to buy another chill dog. Exhibit C is the fact that they insist on calling it Ďsoccerí. Mílud, I rest my case.

If we look beyond this kind of crude anti-Americanism we find a rich and sophisticated sporting culture in the US. American sports fans are every bit as knowledgeable and passionate about the sports they follow as European or Latin American football fans. Indeed, like it or not, despite our instinctive antipathy towards the Disneyfication of English football, there are some US sporting prototypes that have successfully made the transition across the Pond (and no, I donít mean big furry mascots or cheerleaders)...

...Indeed, much as I love football, I think itís a good thing if American sports fans donít clamber aboard the Beckham bandwagon. It shows that ordinary Americans, so often ridiculed as dumb and suggestible, arenít easily seduced by marketing hard sell. The US sporting public has doggedly ignored previous attempts to flog soccer to them, such as the ill-fated North American Soccer League and the big promotional pushes that accompanied the1994 World Cup and the 1999 womenís World Cup. The fact is that a football culture cannot be mechanistically transplanted or imposed on to other societies; it has to develop organically.

* Actually, you can't get much more phillistine than football players and fans, IMHO. That said, the likes of Michael Vick et al are doing their bit for Old Glory's sporting chav scum credentials too...

Olorin
19th July 07, 04:22 AM
Here is my take, we view "football" as a children's sport. Not a sport that real men play.

I am not saying that this is right but it is how we view it.

Yiktin Voxbane
19th July 07, 05:00 AM
I believe soccer (GASP I said it) is the most physically draining and demanding team sport . Eleven men to cover all of that ground, for 90 Minutes .

Iscariot
19th July 07, 05:36 AM
Here is my take, we view "football" as a children's sport. Not a sport that real men play.

I am not saying that this is right but it is how we view it.
Yes, but according to the majority, a 'man's sport' is one where you wear 100lbs of protective gear to play Rugby wrong.

Plus I disagree with the article when it says American fans are every bit as knowledgeable as other fans. That's complete rubbish and I hold up some of the interviews taken during and after the 2005 US Grand Prix as Exhibit A.

Shawarma
19th July 07, 05:39 AM
And yet "Baseball", a sport about a bunch of queers hitting a ball with a stick with no physical contact whatsoever is your national pasttime. How is that any more manly?

Kiko
19th July 07, 06:21 AM
I read that and heard the voices of John Cleese, Terry Jones and Eric Idle. ;)

Um.. Baseball is BORING. Basketball and Hockey are too fast. Rugby turns men into animals. American Football is fun. European football/Soccer is probably fun, but has been besmirched here by what we call "Soccer Moms" and their mini vans.

At least that's my take on it, but I'm not really into sports.

bob
19th July 07, 06:27 AM
American Football might be fun if they didn't keep stopping every thirteen seconds for a committee meeting.

Shawarma
19th July 07, 06:28 AM
Hockey is gruesome. I know an old Hockey player that is semi-crippled at age 26 and has inflicted as much damage as he has taken, most notably slicing off the fingers of somebody by running over them with his skates.

Hockey is so badass that Satan plays it:
http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2005/writers/john_rolfe/10/18/getting.loose/p1_satan.jpg

Shawarma
19th July 07, 06:30 AM
A most underrated team sport: 43 man squamish!

http://www.collectmad.com/madcoversite/index-quiz_olympics-wide.html

Kiko
19th July 07, 06:34 AM
Calvinball! (http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Nook/2990/cb_rules.htm)

Shawarma
19th July 07, 06:36 AM
"The only rule of Calvinball is that you can't play with the same rules twice."

Kiko
19th July 07, 06:40 AM
He was born in Big Beaver by the borderline
He started playing hockey by the time he was nine
His dad took the hose and froze the back yard
And Little Buddy dreamed he was Rocket Richard
He grew up big and he grew up tough
He saw himself scoring for the Wings or Canucks
But he wasn't that good with a puck

Buddy's real talent was beating people up
His heart wasn't in it but the crowd ate it up
Through pee-wee's and juniors, midgets and mites
He must have racked up more than three hundred fights
A scout from the flames came down from Saskatoon
Said, "There's always room on our team for a goon
Son, we've always got room for a goon"

There were Swedes to the left of him
Russians to the right
A Czech at the blue line looking for a fight
Brains over brawn--that might work for you
But what's a Canadian farm boy to do?
What else can a farm boy from Canada do?

Hit somebody! was what the crowd roared
When Buddy the goon came over the boards
"Coach," he'd say, "I wanna score goals"
The coach said, "Buddy, remember your role,
The fast guys get paid, they shoot, and they score
Protect them, Buddy, that's what you're here for

Protection is what you're here for
Protection--it's the stars who score
Protection--go and kick somebody's ass
Protection--don't put the biscuit in the basket just
Hit some, Buddy! it rang in his ears
Blood on the ice ran down through the years
The king of the goons with a box for a throne
A thousand stitches and broken bones
He never lost a fight on his icy patrol
But deep inside, Buddy only dreamed of a goal
He just wanted one damn goal

There were Swedes at the blue line
Finns at the red
A Russian with a stick heading straight for his head
Brains over Brawn--that might work for you

In his final season, on his final night
Buddy and a Finn goon were pegged for a fight
Thirty seconds left, the puck took a roll
And suddenly Buddy had a shot on goal

The goalie committed, Buddy picked his spot
Twenty years of waiting went into that shot
The fans jumped up, the Finn jumped too
And cold-cocked Buddy on his followthrough
The big man crumbled but he felt all right
'Cause the last thing he saw
was the flashing red light
He saw that heavenly light

There were Swedes to the left of him
Russians to the right
A Czech at the blue line looking for a fight
Take care of your teeth--that might work for you

The Hockey Song - Warren Zevon

Don "Jive Turkey" Gwinn
19th July 07, 08:28 AM
Meh. I like what I like. Basically, I like American football and MMA.

I like fast cars, but I don't like to watch races.
I don't like to watch baseball, but you can't live in Illinois without declaring your allegiance, so officially I'm a Cubs fan.
I'm not big on soccer, but I did notice that the U.S. beat Mexico recently. That's gotta be a big deal, right? 'Cause we suck at soccer and stuff?
I don't really get hockey, but I can watch it live. Not on TV.
Basketball irritates me.

I don't really care whether the British think I'm a Philistine, which I'm sure only makes me more of a Philistine in their eyes, but that's the price you pay.

Truculent Sheep
19th July 07, 08:41 AM
Actually, the US footie team is pretty good, all things considered, unlike Mexico which has been dead on its arse for decades. As the article says, David 'I'm One Quarter Jewish & Three Quarters Overrated' Beckham's core audience will probably be women and gays. Real sports nutters in the US will be getting their jollies elsewhere.

BTW: Football personally bores the shit out of me - I'm a boxing fan. (Albeit a casual one.)

PizDoff
19th July 07, 10:18 AM
Plus I disagree with the article when it says American fans are every bit as knowledgeable as other fans. That's complete rubbish and I hold up some of the interviews taken during and after the 2005 US Grand Prix as Exhibit A.

See: Most UFC events where booing starts as soon as a fight hits the ground.

Tom Kagan
19th July 07, 11:57 AM
My eldest sister believes if Soccer/European Football were banned, a minimum of 73% of the world's problems and conflicts would fade away.

Shawarma
19th July 07, 12:05 PM
Question: How come you yanks never have huge riots after your baseball and American football games? Don't you have proper hooligans?

ojgsxr6
19th July 07, 12:09 PM
I know if Soccer were banned, my life would be significantly better, but all the best riots happen during Soccer games*.

*Non US riots, where the US's best riots happen during blackouts or when, a jury brings back a decision the general public doesn't like.

ThaiBoxerShorts
19th July 07, 12:09 PM
Meh. I'm bored to tears by any sport that involves balls.

At least, ones that aren't permanently attached to the competitors.

Truculent Sheep
19th July 07, 12:18 PM
My eldest sister believes if Soccer/European Football were banned, a minimum of 73% of the world's problems and conflicts would fade away.

But football is a substitute for war, as Ryszard Kapuscinski (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryszard_Kapuscinski) will tell you...

mrblackmagic
19th July 07, 12:25 PM
It's too political for such an unevent full sport. You never hear about riots and small scale wars breaking out because of a bad call at a Bears game.

"I'd take ah bullet fer Ditka."

edit. whoops. Already covered. Tribalistic bastards.

Steve
19th July 07, 12:54 PM
And yet "Baseball", a sport about a bunch of queers hitting a ball with a stick with no physical contact whatsoever is your national pasttime. How is that any more manly?

You're saying that this isn't manly???

UT8EYtjMh_c

Dude just tried to get a hit by smacking the ball with his own junk! Now that's MANLY.

Phrost
19th July 07, 12:56 PM
Cultures who embrace soccer tend to have a higher proportion of whiny, liberal pussies because the sport conditions them from youth so that when some mean man bumps into you, a nice authority figure steps in to protect you from him based on how effectively you whine/cry/play the victim.

Steve
19th July 07, 01:02 PM
Another reason why baseball is MANLY:

http://img.waffleimages.com/1f6e58f4f8cda25d160fdb8637397f736ba43a95/batoutofhell.jpg

Well, actually there a four reasons in this picture, not counting the dude getting smacked with the bat and lookin like he doesn't even give a shit (didn't raise his hands or nothin, now that's MANLY)...

Steve
19th July 07, 01:08 PM
MANLY:

http://i74.photobucket.com/albums/i256/benolishous3/sammy20sosa20helmet.gif

Ok, I think I'm done now...

Tom Kagan
19th July 07, 01:14 PM
Cultures who embrace soccer tend to have a higher proportion of whiny, liberal pussies because the sport conditions them from youth so that when some mean man bumps into you, a nice authority figure steps in to protect you from him based on how effectively you whine/cry/play the victim.

Like Brazil & Mexico, right?

Shawarma
19th July 07, 01:19 PM
Phrost has clearly never played football in school. In DA SK00LY4RD, everything goes, which often leads to the aforementioned fistfights.

He should also keep in mind those soft, whiny societies that are Brazil, Russia and Turkey, where football is big. Clearly, these are nations of the utmost faggotry.

Shawarma
19th July 07, 01:21 PM
In addition, the Brits are big on football. They are also big on rugby, a sport so tuff it makes American football look like wing chun.

Sirc
19th July 07, 01:29 PM
You know what's a cool sport? Badminton.

It's awesome.

Truculent Sheep
19th July 07, 01:33 PM

You've presumably not seen the full-on, technicolour, Pictish, sectarian murder fest that is Glasgow when Rangers and Celtic are playing...

Most UK football fans can't even spell 'liberal'. Most of them communicate through grunts and belching.

Sirc
19th July 07, 01:34 PM
The reason Americans don't like Soccer is because American Football, even though it stops and goes, there's a lot of strategy, almost like Chess with American Football. UK football it all about reaction. American football has a sort of almost military like appeal to it.

Sirc
19th July 07, 01:35 PM
We also don't like UK Football because you fags spell everything wrong.

Truculent Sheep
19th July 07, 01:47 PM
In Britain, we smoke fags. In America, Sushi Sashimi dates them.

Sirc
19th July 07, 01:51 PM
In Britain, we smoke fags. In America, Sushi Sashimi dates them.

So you like to smoke fags, eh? How's the semen taste?

Truculent Sheep
19th July 07, 01:54 PM
You should know.

Sirc
19th July 07, 02:15 PM
You should know.

3/10 retort.

That's why I'm asking you.

ThaiBoxerShorts
19th July 07, 02:44 PM
Most UK football fans can't even spell 'liberal'. Most of them communicate through grunts and belching.
Not much different than American sports fans, then.

Dagon Akujin
19th July 07, 02:51 PM
So it's....

Futbol
QyX0-xVwNLM
+
PbYVfRTG2oo

VS.

Football
HHmW68TFpXc
+
Gl8r-bkJRFE

VS.

MMA
Amj29p0go88
+
ZxQDFLqtEww

???

Fearless Ukemi
19th July 07, 03:35 PM
The only sport more boring than soccer is golf.

Fearless Ukemi
19th July 07, 03:37 PM
I changed my mind. Soccer is more boring because I can at least get a buzz going when I play golf.

Truculent Sheep
19th July 07, 03:48 PM
3/10 retort.

That's why I'm asking you.

Really, I should be asking you. You suck in other ways, so presumably it's not outside your field.

Dagon Akujin
19th July 07, 04:02 PM
The only sport more boring than soccer is golf.

Huh? Wait a second. Is golf even a sport???

Golf
_NW4eP1WFdo
+
BPgxakSY3Uw

I'm really thinking that Football wins on this one.

Sirc
19th July 07, 05:41 PM
Really, I should be asking you. You suck in other ways, so presumably it's not outside your field.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v340/sircnay/untitledxf712.png

Truculent Sheep
19th July 07, 05:57 PM
Why is that ventriloquist sucking a tree? Or can't you draw properly?

Never mind. What does jizz taste like, anyway?

Sun Wukong
19th July 07, 06:02 PM
In addition, the Brits are big on football. They are also big on rugby, a sport so tuff it makes American football look like wing chun.
Rugby is the greatest sport in the world involving a ball, that being said, what's the reason why it isn't popular in the united states?

#1 answer: INSURANCE.

Baseball bores me to tears when watching it but I played baseball like a maniac when I was a kid. Extremely fun game. My grandpa had me out playing baseball when i was 6. None of that tee-ball crap for me. It also made me a much better player when i finally started playing against other kids. My biggest problem was that I couldn't throw the ball for crap. Meaning I pretty much had to be an outfielder so throwing accuracy wouldn't really matter as much.

That being said, you couldn't pay me to play rugby. I like my teeth and bones in fine working order.

Sun Wukong
19th July 07, 06:05 PM
bowling is another fun game, but i really don't understand why anyone would watch it on TV. Golf is ridiculous. It was invented so scots could get drunk without their wives knowing about it.

ThaiBoxerShorts
19th July 07, 06:19 PM
Bowling is ridiculous.

Last time I went bowling (years ago), I stopped aiming for the pins when I realized the little monitor displayed the ball's speed in addition to the number of points scored.

Dagon Akujin
19th July 07, 06:37 PM
bowling is another fun game, but i really don't understand why anyone would watch it on TV. Golf is ridiculous. It was invented so scots could get drunk without their wives knowing about it.

???

Fuck Bowling
OKsKlHt28uA
+
OJOxLcr1VTM

ThaiBoxerShorts
19th July 07, 06:42 PM
That first bowling video was awesome.

As for the second, cosplay makes everything lame. Unless it's sexy cosplay. And that wasn't.

frumpleswift
19th July 07, 06:45 PM
I believe soccer (GASP I said it) is the most physically draining and demanding team sport . Eleven men to cover all of that ground, for 90 Minutes .

"Hey, you know, fuck you, man. Any moron with a pack of matches can set a fire. Raining down sulphur is like an endurance trial man. Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, outside of soccer. "

Kiko
19th July 07, 06:51 PM
http://www.pbs.org/independentlens/leagueofordinarygentlemen/images/70s_nixon.jpg

ThaiBoxerShorts
19th July 07, 07:25 PM
Spartan soccer:

http://i137.photobucket.com/albums/q204/jimbotron235/sparta.gif

Sirc
19th July 07, 07:57 PM
Golf is so much fun. I don't know why you guys bitch about that game.

Soccer is fun, I played on a traveling team kicking all sorts of ass play left wing (I'm southpaw). Then I stopped so I could start doing martial arts.

I like playing baseball, but I'm not good for anything but pitching the ball. I can't hit worth a damn and although I can run really fast short distances, it did me no good if I couldn't hit.

Iscariot
19th July 07, 08:14 PM
6. You should stop playing American "football". There is only one kind of football. What you refer to as American "football" is not a very good game. The 2.15% of you who are aware that there is a world outside your borders may have noticed that no one else plays "American" football. You will no longer be allowed to play it, and should instead play proper football. Initially, it would be best if you played with the girls. It is a difficult game.

Those of you brave enough will, in time, be allowed to play rugby (which is similar to American "football", but does not involve stopping for a rest every twenty seconds or wearing full Kevlar body armour like nancies). We are hoping to get together at least a US rugby sevens side by 2009.

You should stop playing baseball. It is not reasonable to host an event called the 'World Series' for a game which is not played outside of America. Since only 2.15% of you are aware that there is a world beyond your borders, your error is understandable. Instead of baseball, you will be allowed to play a girls' game called "rounders" which is baseball without fancy team strip, oversized gloves, collector cards or hotdogs.

frumpleswift
19th July 07, 09:39 PM
but...but what about that crappy world football league that sent our flunkie players to europe to look like idiots?

Yiktin Voxbane
19th July 07, 09:41 PM
"Hey, you know, fuck you, man. Any moron with a pack of matches can set a fire. Raining down sulphur is like an endurance trial man. Mass genocide is the most exhausting activity one can engage in, outside of soccer. "

TY Loki ;)

emboesso
19th July 07, 09:43 PM
A great Texan named Hank Hill explained the origins and culture of soccer:

"Soccer was invented by European women so they'd have something to do while their husbands cooked them dinner."

bob
20th July 07, 04:37 AM
That being said, you couldn't pay me to play rugby. I like my teeth and bones in fine working order.

It's not that bad as a social sport really. I played it for five years and never got any serious injuries. It's well organised in Aus and NZ so you only play against people of similar ability level.

Now as a professional, or even the upper levels of the amateurs however...yeah, that's crazy. I was the physio for a pro team for the past few years and we averaged probably 2 serious concussions and at least two sets of stitches per game, not to mention the numerous dislocations, fractures, ligament tears etc.

Equipoise
20th July 07, 01:09 PM
Oh noes! I fellz down cause I was tripped and I wantz the ball back...

Soccer irritates me in the capacity that people fall down and whine to get the ball, and if they don't, they make a miraculous recovery!

As for wearing 90 lbs of gear for our football, hit as hard as our players do and you need gear.

Liffguard
20th July 07, 02:39 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Slamball FTW!

Dtpei0-5kQk

Dagon Akujin
20th July 07, 02:52 PM
I've said it before and I'll say it again. Slamball FTW!

Dtpei0-5kQk

What's higher, the scores of the games, or the number of stitches and torn ligaments?

Iscariot
20th July 07, 05:04 PM
A great Texan named...
Oxymoron.

As for wearing 90 lbs of gear for our football, hit as hard as our players do and you need gear.
Hmmm, I've heard this argument before.

From TKDers.....

frumpleswift
20th July 07, 07:36 PM
Oxymoron.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Iscariot again.

However Bill Hicks was from Texas, and he rocked ass.

king of seals
25th July 07, 04:15 PM

Is suing people because you injured your knuckles by punching their face connected to any sport tradition?

Anyway, Calcio Storico Fiorentino is the current and traditional sport (maybe I should say event) played in Florence. It is the unedited, original, full contact game.

Soccer is based on medieval football games such as this one.

Here's a video, please ignore the music and focus on the gameplay:

LTOTnDpWJAk

A second video, again, ignore the audio. The actual, high quality footage is in the second half of this video, so please be patient:

WsRqSNSjy3E

frumpleswift
25th July 07, 05:56 PM
Is suing people because you injured your knuckles by punching their face connected to any sport tradition?

Anyway, Calcio Storico Fiorentino is the current and traditional sport (maybe I should say event) played in Florence. It is the unedited, original, full contact game.

No...gladitorial combat is the original unedited full contact game. I just wonder how much more our society needs to decay for it to return.

Sun Wukong
25th July 07, 07:01 PM
Oxymoron.
There are alot of great Texans... it's not their fault GWB is from Midland. GWB is what alot of Texans call, "All hat, and no cattle." Owning a ranch doesn't make you a country boy.

I, for one, thoroughly enjoy the south and Texas. Texas is a really big place with alot of great people; don't let one bad example spoil your opinion of the place.

Austin is one of the best cities in the US. My sister lives there and I spent 5 years of my teens there. It's a fine place.

king of seals
26th July 07, 07:17 AM
No...gladitorial combat is the original unedited full contact game. I just wonder how much more our society needs to decay for it to return.

It's not a game, and yes, it's somehow returning with combat sports (not games) such as MMA.

And soccer is most definitely not based on a combat sport. :)

Perhaps we'll get stickfighting competitions with a MMA-like ruleset before officially "going bloodsport."

Mas
26th July 07, 03:55 PM
Sorry to come to this late, but I think baseball appeals to the idealization of our pastoral history.

At least it does for me.

Phrost
31st July 07, 09:54 PM

LTOTnDpWJAk

A second video, again, ignore the audio. The actual, high quality footage is in the second half of this video, so please be patient:

WsRqSNSjy3E
Fuck yes. This is a sport.

Anyone want to start an American league?

Can we call it Bullshido Ball though?

Plasma
1st August 07, 11:43 AM
I was playing keeper last night and I picked up the ball and the stiker came in cracked me across the shins on purpose. I didn't play it up or anything, but I did take a second look at him and supress the urge to throw the ball out of bounds and rear naked choke him till he shit himself.

El Neko
18th October 07, 10:21 AM
Plasma, that's a good example of what football is, an exercise on patience (normally you just bide your time and wait until that person has the ball to kick them back), god I love that sport

Cullion
18th October 07, 10:51 AM

I don't like the culture of football, never did. Always prefered Rugby.

They don't have Rugby riots. Major football matches in the UK are characterised by tight security, mounted police on patrol in case of a riot. People are searched for weapons and alcohol.

At Rugby matches you just pay and walk in. You can get up from your seat and buy a beer whenever you want during the game. Nobody is at all worried about anybody flipping out and trying to attack the other team's supporters.

I think the whiney pussy soccer player effect works in reverse. I think the soccer players get whinier the more liberally pussified their culture becomes. They didn't used to be like that in previous generations.

Artful Dentures
18th October 07, 08:36 PM
I never played Rugby, I don't really understand the rules, nor do I have a favorite team, but when I see it I always enjoy watching it.

Rugby is a great sport

Soccer/ futbol / football is so boring the fans riot out of irritation.

Cullion
20th October 07, 07:52 AM
I never played Rugby, I don't really understand the rules, nor do I have a favorite team, but when I see it I always enjoy watching it.

Rugby is a great sport

Soccer/ futbol / football is so boring the fans riot out of irritation.

The final of the Rugby World Cup is today at 9pm UK time. South Africa vs. England
Dunno if it'll be on TV in your neck of the woods.

bushi_no_ki
27th October 07, 02:39 AM
Hey, any sport where you can get hot chicks wearing short skirts dancing around is alright in my book. Go masculinity, however you exhibit it.

Lu Tze
20th November 07, 12:53 PM

I am not saying that this is right but it is how we view it.Considering the preening tosspots that grace the squads of most top tier teams, that's a fair assement.

ironlurker
20th November 07, 01:42 PM
FWIW I've heard one of the reasons for football's unpopularity, and popularity of American football, is financial/commerical considerations. The time outs and short quarters of American football, as with the innings, pitching changes, and so on of baseball, make it much more conducive to frequent commercial breaks.

Plus, in the states, there is a preoccupation with high-scoring games. People who love the sport in question value the defensive game as much if not more than the offensive game, but for many zillions of points/scores/touchdowns/runs =exciting. It's sort of like the annoying wanna-be MMA fans who boo when the fight goes to the ground or want every fight to end by knockout.

Domite
12th February 08, 06:28 AM
I think the biggest problem that Americans have with soccer is the whining pussies that fall down and start crying to the ref every time somebody bumps into them.

king of seals
12th February 08, 10:00 AM
If you absolutely need a more physical approach, you can watch matches involving teams from Central and/or South America.

If you're lucky, you get to see an injury.

If you're luckier, you get to see a brawl.

If you're luckiest, you get to see a Football War (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Football_War).

HappyOldGuy
12th February 08, 06:49 PM
I think the biggest problem that Americans have with soccer is the whining pussies that fall down and start crying to the ref every time somebody bumps into them.

Now you just have to explain basketball.

Anyhow...

1) We are glutted with sporting choices.
2) We actually love to play soccer, but we think of it as a game for kids and girls.
3) We hate europeans, and we think that latin americans should be playing baseball.
4) Oh yeah, by the way, we actually are starting to watch it, but it's growing out of our immigrant communities and from there into the mainstream. I watched several world cup matches with friends from the south.

Cullion
12th February 08, 07:43 PM
Rugby turns men into animals.

Then why, in the UK, is Rugby much more of a middle-class educated man's sport with no tradition of fan violence compared to football (or soccer as you call it) ?

I submit that Rugby is a supremely manly sport played by gentlemen. Professional European soccer players argue with the referee and fake injuries like little pansies all the time. It's almost unheard of in Rugby.

Until very recently Rugby, even at the international level, was still an amateur sport and a surprisingly high proportion of the players supported themselves with serious professional careers like law. Most are still college educated.

Professional football players in the UK are mostly urban white trash who can barely spell and seem to spend almost all of their free time getting photographed falling drunk out of trashy nightclubs with even trashier boob-jobbed glamour models of the sort that DagonAkujin is fond of.

Lu Tze
12th February 08, 07:56 PM
Then why, in the UK, is Rugby much more of a middle-class educated man's sport with no tradition of fan violence compared to football (or soccer as you call it) ?Rugby League.

Tanhalen21
12th February 08, 08:24 PM
Guys, I think I have a sport that will bridge our nations together and dissipate any ill-feelings we have towards each other due to our taste in sports.

1TWvEuiw4O8

Kiko
13th February 08, 10:06 AM
Then why, in the UK, is Rugby much more of a middle-class educated man's sport with no tradition of fan violence compared to football (or soccer as you call it) ?

I submit that Rugby is a supremely manly sport played by gentlemen. Professional European soccer players argue with the referee and fake injuries like little pansies all the time. It's almost unheard of in Rugby..

My first exposure to rugby and players was at college. They were a rowdy, crass bunch who delighted in a sort of ritual involving some unfortunate young woman they'd celebrate for an evening as "rugby queen". Perhaps this is due to college life more than rugby itself. No, I was never foolish enough to be chosen for their rituals nor did I become involved with them. As individuals a couple of them seemed to be nice guys, but as a group? Icky!

Shawarma
13th February 08, 10:15 AM
Believe that to be a "dumbass jock" problem rather than a "rugby" problem.

Kiko
13th February 08, 10:16 AM
True enough. Something about the 'rugby is for real men' did bring out the worst in these. *shrug*

Artful Dentures
13th February 08, 04:06 PM
Rugby players have sex with the ugliest women.

That's what I saw in college, all the beast women would go where the players would go after a game to get picked up.

Seriously they're not a picky bunch.

Cullion
13th February 08, 04:16 PM
The problems you people are ascribing to 'rugby players' are 'north american jock' problems.

And Lu Tze, for the love of God, why did you have to bring up Rugby League on t'internet?

We aren't supposed to tell Americans about that yet. Let's keep this clean and Rugby Union.

HappyOldGuy
13th February 08, 04:40 PM
I worked crowd security for the largest rugby tournament in north america when I was in college. I had a front row seat two years running at the annual post games riot.

Sell it to the girl scouts buster.

bob
13th February 08, 04:54 PM
The problems you people are ascribing to 'rugby players' are 'north american jock' problems.

And Lu Tze, for the love of God, why did you have to bring up Rugby League on t'internet?

We aren't supposed to tell Americans about that yet. Let's keep this clean and Rugby Union.

I hate to say it as I'm a rugby fan first, but rugby league has become a more exciting game to watch in the past five-ten years.

Shawarma
13th February 08, 06:07 PM
I've met a number of English rugby players. The jock factor is high IMO.

Thinkchair
1st March 08, 04:19 PM
A refreshing take on the matter. Americans don't like football out of some strange sort of phillistinism*: it's just they've got so many other sports to choose from...

You mean soccer? We have football, and we watch it plenty. We don't like soccer though. Watching a bunch of European fruits run around the field pretending to get hurt by one another isn't our idea of a good time. For me, soccer embodies the European tendancy toward deception and trickery.

Cullion
1st March 08, 05:12 PM
You mean soccer? We have football, and we watch it plenty. We don't like soccer though. Watching a bunch of European fruits run around the field pretending to get hurt by one another isn't our idea of a good time. For me, soccer embodies the European tendancy toward deception and trickery.

South/Central Americans are big on it too, but yeah, this is why I was never a soccer fan despite it being massive here. I like my Rugby.

Cullion
1st March 08, 05:14 PM
I've met a number of English rugby players. The jock factor is high IMO.

It's constrained in a few important ways in Rugby though. Rugby players almost never argue with the ref. The fans never riot and you can buy a beer during the game at a Rugby stadium, whereas at football stadiums they often have very anal anti-alcohol security precautions to prevent somebody from flipping out and starting a riot.

Artful Dentures
4th March 08, 10:49 AM
It's constrained in a few important ways in Rugby though. Rugby players almost never argue with the ref. The fans never riot and you can buy a beer during the game at a Rugby stadium, whereas at football stadiums they often have very anal anti-alcohol security precautions to prevent somebody from flipping out and starting a riot.

It's because football is sooo boring people riot to keep themselves entertained.

Shawarma
4th March 08, 11:09 AM
How come people don't riot at baseball games then?

Lu Tze
4th March 08, 11:11 AM
It's because football is sooo boring people riot to keep themselves entertained.Boring compared to what? Baseball? Gridiron? Games so boring they had to insert commercials every five minutes just so there'd be some movement on the TV screen.

Edit: similar minds think alike.

Artful Dentures
6th March 08, 11:02 AM
How come people don't riot at baseball games then?

Because they do the wave for 3 innings and leave in the 7th inning.

Also seriously baseball has more 8-5 games and such than soccer does.

1-0 1-0 2-1 0-0 scores in soccer is boring. At least with Baseball you're rewarded with a home run to cheer or a great strike out or an amazing dive or double play.

And in baseball the game isn't held up while some Italian rolls on the ground for 5 minutes pretending to be hurt.

Makes me want to riot just thinking about it.

Lu Tze
6th March 08, 11:13 AM
It's not about the score. Do you even watch the sports or just sit there listening to your iPod and then check the score on your way out to see if it's been an exciting game?

Football at it's best is a display of individual skill, teamwork and tactical spontaneity that's unrivalled by most sports. There are no time outs or stopping after every down to choose a strategy, that's boring.

And I'm not even a fan, I hate the bloody game.

Artful Dentures
6th March 08, 01:12 PM
Soccer is boring to watch. It just is. The only thing that makes it exciting for some is regional adverserial relationships. This city Vs that city.

Golf is more boring to watch
Baseball is less

They all suck

Hockey and Rugby are good

American football 50/50

Cullion
6th March 08, 02:13 PM
Soccer is boring to watch. It just is. The only thing that makes it exciting for some is regional adverserial relationships. This city Vs that city.

Golf is more boring to watch
Baseball is less

They all suck

Hockey and Rugby are good

American football 50/50

I think it depends on the country. Some countries tend to play a more aggressive or atheletic game and some nations seem to be more calm with lots of passing and waiting for an opportunity.

Artful Dentures
6th March 08, 02:23 PM
I think the secret to enjoying any sport is to have a home town team to root and follow then it becomes way better to watch

That and betting.

Dagon Akujin
6th March 08, 07:39 PM
"American" football is about the only team sport I can watch. That, and maybe NBA finals when the Pistons are playing (which is about every year, so there). Football has almost a chess-like feel to it, because the plays are very overt and explicit. There is very watchable strategy.

And I grew up HATING football. The football players at my high school were complete assholes. And the football coach was a fucking child molester. I'm not kidding. And what made it even worse was that the coach had been bragging to his teams about molesting girls at the school for YEARS and none of them came forward or said anything. It wasn't until after the coach got caught with his hands up some girl's shorts on the track field, rubbing Flex-All under her shorts, when she started screaming. Football players were like "Yeah, he's been doing that for years. OMG. Kinda funny you just found out." No, seriously. That's the kind of stuff they said to the police.

Fuckers.

TM
31st March 08, 11:41 AM
Try to hit or get hit by a ninety mile an hour plus fastball and ask the question again.

Father Dagon
12th April 08, 11:41 AM
Yes, but according to the majority, a 'man's sport' is one where you wear 100lbs of protective gear to play Rugby wrong.And pat each others satin breeches-clad butts...

P.S. Hockey played by the rules and only the rules can be pleasant to watch. But I abhor the Hollywoodification where the players throw the gloves and start punching each other. Why not do as they do in The Carnival of Immortals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/La_Foire_aux_immortels) where the blade of the stick is really a blade and is supposed to be used?

brakeonthroo
2nd May 08, 02:22 PM
Another underrated sport played in school yards. take down the guy with the ball. no rules, and the next person brave enough to pick up that ball will get smashed

matt

EvilSteve
2nd May 08, 03:44 PM
Yeah, we called that Kill the Carrier, and it was way fun.

Brandon
7th May 08, 11:37 AM
We called it smear the queer

HappyOldGuy
7th May 08, 12:01 PM
We called it smear the queer
What he said.

Kein Haar
7th May 08, 01:14 PM
Once again, Sheep, you tell it like it is. I can't rep you for a while, though.

Truculent Sheep
7th May 08, 03:48 PM
I'm surprised this thread's still going on...

Anyway, here's the epic QPR/China ruck. Suffice to say the PRC got owned, and Sun Wukong is probably going to denounce me and have my family moved into the contryside to be re-educated for exposing its inherent poofiness:

MDgkQoEJrWU&NR=1