PDA

View Full Version : Dexter Season Two

Stick
18th July 07, 07:15 PM
Well, Season Two of Dexter- the greatest series about a serial killer EVER- begins officially on Showtime this coming September 30.

And... well, not that I encourage this sort of thing, but.... well, just see for yourself. (http://btjunkie.org/torrent/Dexter-S02E01-PREAIR-DVDRip-XviD-SiTV/3172fd5618cae8cc1eac219e080aca9e95c98678d161)

Yeah, I crapped myself too.

Jagged
18th July 07, 07:16 PM
Well, clean your shorts then settle down for some good ol' serial killer entertainment.

Steve
18th July 07, 09:09 PM
Thank you kind sir.

Sun Wukong
19th July 07, 02:35 PM
I like the show, but I have a fundamental disagreement with clinical psychologists about the anatomy of a sociopath's psychological makeup.

This show more or less grasps and adhere's to the current serial killer profile that the FBI's forensic profiler's cling to; which, in my opinion, is designed to be flawed in favor of the district attorney's who prosecute the cases involving sociopaths or suspected sociopaths. However, the model used, IMO, is flawed in actual understanding of the killers themselves and does more harm than good when actually trying to profile serial violent criminals.

Stick
19th July 07, 06:00 PM
OK.

So, curiousity here, what's your understanding of psycho killers? Professional interest or just a hobby? Do you think it's remotly possible that we'd ever see a serial killer like Dexter; while I suppose depending upon just how warped your values are, some people might think the serial killers that take out hookers are doing God's Work(TM), but is it within the realm of possibility that a sociopathic killer would ever hunt down other killers?

While I'm at it I might as well ask why there isn't a Punisher out there?

I'll quit being a dork now.

Stick
22nd July 07, 07:05 PM
Great promo is great

eL4SZ6cv1y0

Eldarbong
30th July 07, 12:30 AM
I lost interest part way through season 1. There were too many points in the plot where they could have made it awesome had the writers been better, but they took the easy way out.

Robot Jesus
31st July 07, 12:47 PM
hethen

Zaii
17th August 07, 01:02 AM
I like the show, but I have a fundamental disagreement with clinical psychologists about the anatomy of a sociopath's psychological makeup.

This show more or less grasps and adhere's to the current serial killer profile that the FBI's forensic profiler's cling to; which, in my opinion, is designed to be flawed in favor of the district attorney's who prosecute the cases involving sociopaths or suspected sociopaths. However, the model used, IMO, is flawed in actual understanding of the killers themselves and does more harm than good when actually trying to profile serial violent criminals.

No sarcasm or harassment intended - what's your beef with the general conception?

Do you think that it's over simplified because it makes the court case and eventual processing easier, or fundamentally lacking in its accounting of the actual depth of the motivations and inclinations of sociopaths, or what exactly?

Sun Wukong
17th August 07, 07:06 AM
No sarcasm or harassment intended - what's your beef with the general conception?

Do you think that it's over simplified because it makes the court case and eventual processing easier or fundamentally lacking in its accounting of the actual depth of the motivations and inclinations of sociopaths, or what exactly?

Both and then some. IMO, it is designed to make alleged offenders seem alien and inhuman to an exaggerated degree. This makes the criminal cases easier to convict, especially in the case of truly mentally ill killers such as David Berkowitz, aka the .45 caliber killer, aka the son of sam.

David Berkowitz was truly insane; he believed his neighbor's dog was the devil and was commanding him to kill young women. He even tried to kill it by shooting it to prevent further violence, but he only winged it. He thought he had killed the animal, but unfortunately, when he heard it barking later the next day he was convinced the dog was immortal.

Many serial killers and mass murderers have shown evidence of regret for their crimes and even humiliation talking about their deeds.

On a personal level, once a person crosses a certain line, I don't care what happens to them, but I think the characterization that these people don't feel guilt, fear, happiness, remorse, or sadness is somewhat unfortunate because it doesn't really give a clear understanding behind their driving motivations or insight into their true nature.

It is this insight, and understanding, IMO, which will allow professionals to successfully pre-emptively identify, treat and/or catch many more potentially violent criminals and treat so-called sociopaths successfully than we presently do.

Zaii
18th August 07, 05:55 PM
Those are all good points.

I think a large part of the problem is that as a society it's infinitely easier to view a murderer, especially a serial killer, as inhuman and alien rather than admit the fact that they're people and that we all possess the same capacity to commit similar acts. In addition to the relative simplicity of prosecution that limiting our conception of mentally disturbed individuals allows, people have a hard time swallowing the fact that being a murderer doesn't make you cease to be human.

An additional problem is that many people view the idea of perceiving murderers as a human being as "weak kneed" or "PC", again, because it's easier to label and box off than to confront the reality of the situation. In actuality, I agree that a more in depth conception of mentally deranged individuals would allow for better treatment and apprehension rates, like you said.

This is not to say that certain individuals aren't beyond the threshold of recovery, as many certainly are, but I don't believe this is the case with all.

Stick
1st October 07, 01:03 AM
Well, the season has officially begun; so I can expect to see a new epiode in like 2 weeks.

Steve
1st October 07, 01:10 AM
Awesome.

Stick
16th October 07, 09:55 PM
NEW DEXTER, YAY!

Ok, seriously now.

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/vlcsnap-979060.jpg

"When's the last time I sharpened my knives?"

Dexter in Addicts Anonymous is way better than Dexter in therapy- apart from the whole "I'm a serial killer!" moment which is hard to top-, at first I was like "Fuck this", but then, that end scene with Doakes where he walks in on Dexter's big speech and it just explains everything for him and placates him (his, I finally found out your big secret moment) was fucking awesome.

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/vlcsnap-995969.jpg

"I knew there was something wrong with you- the secrets, the sneak'n around- now it all makes sense." That look in Doakes' eyes when he's talkinga bout how booze and drugs make the job easier, that was great.

"Oh and you owe me a new michilin, mother fucker!"

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/vlcsnap-988471.jpg

"I don't know what a lab geek needs with advanced jujitsu" = oh hell yes. I can only hope Dex unleashes even more jits in the episodes to come. Oh, also, jits is the MA of choice for serial killers everywhere.

Also, what the hell is with this chick? Lilah... she kinda creep anyone else out?

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/vlcsnap-994931.jpg

The depth of Rita's "oh shit" face when she saw Dexter's sponsor; that shit was hilarious.

I can't wait for them to start to figure out who exactly they've dredged up from the depths of the ocean. The realization that pretty much everyone of them was a suspect or worse- worse in the eyes of the law at least- in multiple murders is gonna be great.

The entire exchange between Dex and the used car salesman was fucking priceless; "I don't lie."

The guy started to get it right, then he completely misstepped and Dexter just fucking snapped, "Don't talk that way about my girlfriend!"

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/vlcsnap-993382.jpg

Dex is just a big softy.

Oh, and how the fuck is he such a sucker for the hard sell? I mean, it makes sense and all- the minivan-, but doesn't this connect him maybe a bit too much to his victim?

http://www.bullshido.net/gallery/data/500/vlcsnap-982895.jpg

Question!
16th October 07, 11:48 PM
I'm 8 episodes into Season 1 (yeah, yeah, I'm slow but I don't have Showtime and have to depend on TV links) and he basically choked a guy out.

Are you saying that Dexter does BJJ?

Steve
16th October 07, 11:50 PM
It's discussed in the original thread (http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=45289).

mrblackmagic
19th October 07, 10:06 AM
Finally caught an episode. Great stuff. What was that weird voice over thing in that Dexter hears?

Sun Wukong
19th October 07, 06:03 PM
which episode?

Stick
23rd October 07, 02:59 PM
Episode 4:

-Laguerta is a horrible person
-Debra is still quite fucked up: half expected her to beat on her random gym date. She's got the hots for her old FBI boss.
-I kind of like Lilah.
-Masuka is awesome.
-Rita's mom is perceptive. Loved Dex's internal monologue at dinner.
-This season may be better than the first.

Steve
31st October 07, 12:40 AM
Wow, just finished episode 4.

Have to agree with you on all counts. Although while the Laguerta thing is pretty horrible, it was very well done. Didn't have a clue at all.

Steve
31st October 07, 03:17 AM
Times two, regarding Doakes and Laguerta, now that I've seen the 5th episode.

And the camera at the end!

Stick
3rd November 07, 01:37 AM
This is seriously turning out better than season 1.

Stick
13th November 07, 07:55 PM
"I own you."

Damn.

Seriously, there are no bad episodes of Dexter, no sophmore slump, no filler; every minute of this show is fucking epic.

Doritosaurus Chex
13th November 07, 09:30 PM
Looks like the whole Lila thing is going to take an interesting turn.

Sun Wukong
13th November 07, 11:41 PM
This is seriously turning out better than season 1.

You think so? I have to disagree. It seems to me that they are resorting to cheaper day time drama plot devices and don't seem to know what direction to take the show in. It looks to me like they are threatening to write themselves into a corner with the show like what happened with BSG.

Stick
13th November 07, 11:50 PM
I couldn't resist.

pJ-rfgHiDzk

Question!
13th November 07, 11:53 PM
Why do the female characters in the show keep getting more annoying in Season 2?

Doritosaurus Chex
14th November 07, 02:24 AM
Why do the female characters in the show keep getting more annoying in Season 2?

Because they're females.

That also applies to other shows.

That also applies to real life, too. Unfortunately, it gets worst after season 2.

Question!
14th November 07, 02:49 AM
I hope Julie Benz dies a violent death in the upcoming Rambo movie.

DANINJA
28th November 07, 07:04 PM
season 2 so far is much better than season 1

Just watched episode 8 of season 2 and things are getting interesting!!

Stick
28th November 07, 07:52 PM
Dude, just wait till you see episode 9.

"MOOOOOOOOOOOOOORGAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!"

plus

Dexter jujitsu's Doakes.... while in hand cuffs. Dexter is our god.

Sun Wukong
28th November 07, 10:44 PM
I hope Julie Benz dies a violent death in the upcoming Rambo movie.

upcoming rambo movie? oh for the love of all that is holy Sly has gone too far.

Stick
28th November 07, 11:56 PM
What? You didn't know?

Honestly looks mroe horrifically violent than all the other Rambo movies combined- I approve.

p8KBySFKF8o

I'm curious to see what he does with this. Really the only thing that makes sense is if John finally dies on the battlefield.

The new Rocky movie was surprisingly good, so I have hope.

Osiris
29th November 07, 08:03 AM
I figured he would've played the Doakes thing cooler. I would've called 911 after choking him out and claimed I caught the killer.

Sun Wukong
29th November 07, 08:11 AM
I figured he would've played the Doakes thing cooler. I would've called 911 after choking him out and claimed I caught the killer.
Then he'd have to explain to the feds why he was out at jimenezes coke shack while he was suppsed to be at his house under guard. plus he'd hav had to take the express lane in disposing of the corpse. Too much at risk.

from this point my prediction is he'll try to explain to doakes exactly why he does it, why he's only killed vicous murderers and offer doakes a way out by pinning the crime on someone else and clearintg doakes' name. that's what I think will probably happen because it'll be the only way Dexter can fulfill all the 'rules' he follows by not harming innocent people.

OR, doakes will force Dex to kill him. OR, doakes will escape captivity and go to the feds to turn Dex in leaving Dex in a mad rush to cover his tracks in one go.

Remember, Dex is still the 'good guy' in this show.

Osiris
29th November 07, 09:55 AM
Then he'd have to explain to the feds why he was out at jimenezes coke shack while he was suppsed to be at his house under guard.

True.

plus he'd hav had to take the express lane in disposing of the corpse. Too much at risk.

OR just pin it on Doakes.

JimmyTheHutt
29th November 07, 10:31 AM
OR just pin it on Doakes.

That would violate The Code.

I am hoping he will use Layla to kill Doakes somehow and then do away with her.

That would wrap things up nice and neat.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Osiris
30th November 07, 10:35 PM
His #1 rule is don't get caught.

Sun Wukong
30th November 07, 10:43 PM
which means he can't just let doakes go. the worst doakes could be guilty of is revenge killings of haiti guerilla's who were murderous monsters any way.

Doakes really isn't that far from bein like Dexter as it is now anyway.

Sun Wukong
30th November 07, 10:44 PM
That would violate The Code.

I am hoping he will use Layla to kill Doakes somehow and then do away with her.

That would wrap things up nice and neat.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

that's a pretty good point, layla might just put the nail in doakes coffin with another one of her little accidental fires.

Question!
1st December 07, 02:20 AM
Meh, I don't like how they've made Doakes out to be such a sub par fighter (H2H) when compared to Dexter.

Although, he WAS surprised both times they fought, the second time (EP9) he was clearly shaken and shocked at the revelation of Dexter's deeds.

And agreed on how this season is becoming more awesome than the first despite the slow start.

Stick
1st December 07, 07:47 PM
Dexter doesn't use guns, he's killed at least 40 people with close contact weapons. As we've seen a couple of times in the show, he doesn't always get the complete drop and there is a struggle, but he has so far always won.

Doakes was visibly shaken by what he'd discovered, and from what we saw last season, Dex's h2h against Doakes wasn't exactly shabby.

I think Doakes is jsut used to either shooting people or overwhelming them with his agression- Dexter doesn't give to cheap intimidation.

JimmyTheHutt
4th December 07, 09:13 AM
that's a pretty good point, layla might just put the nail in doakes coffin with another one of her little accidental fires.

After Sunday's episode, and what they have planned for the next two, it looks like Layla is working hard on ending up on the table. I am not sure how Doakes will get caught up in the mix, but Dexter has proven that he likes killing more than one bird with a stone.

Veritas et Lux!
Jimmy The Hutt

Stick
5th December 07, 01:52 AM
It might interest you all to know that the last two episodes of Dexter season two magically found their way onto the great and mysterious torrent stream. Don't ask how, just accept.

Steve
5th December 07, 02:32 AM
Man, I'm so far behind. :(

Fearless Ukemi
5th December 07, 08:45 AM
Reading through this makes me wish I have Showtime. This looks like a show I could get into.

Figures when I got my cable installed, I picked HBO and Cinemax. I fail hard.

Question!
5th December 07, 12:28 PM
Reading through this makes me wish I have Showtime. This looks like a show I could get into.

Figures when I got my cable installed, I picked HBO and Cinemax. I fail hard.

http://www14.alluc.org/alluc/tv-shows.html?action=getviewcategory&category_uid=545

Fearless Ukemi
5th December 07, 01:26 PM
Nice.

Osiris
6th December 07, 09:39 AM
Just saw the last couple eps the other day. Damn, poor doakes

Robot Jesus
7th December 07, 03:31 AM
he fairs worse in the books

Steve
7th December 07, 03:41 AM
Goddammit, you fuckers.

Still haven't seen the last few episodes but thanks for not spoiling too much (I knew that Doakes was gonna get it).

DANINJA
15th December 07, 06:44 PM
I can't wait to see the "evolved" Dexter in season 3 !!

Sun Wukong
18th December 07, 12:26 AM
I CALLED IT!

that's a pretty good point, lila might just put the nail in doakes coffin with another one of her little accidental fires.

HA! Granted I made four predictions... but, what the hell.

Steve
4th February 08, 01:52 AM
You can thank the writers' strike for this:

CBS to borrow "Dexter" from Showtime (http://www.reuters.com/article/televisionNews/idUSN0734120120080108)

Gonna fuck it up, going from 55 mins down to 44 mins each episode (plus editing out all the swearing, nudity, etc).